[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
eShop is having a semi decent sale for once so I decided to buy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: unnamed.jpg (75 KB, 383x384) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
75 KB, 383x384
eShop is having a semi decent sale for once so I decided to buy both alttp and Minish Cap for my Wii U.

I had high expectations for alttp (it's often cited as the best Zelda game) but didn't enjoy playing it to the end. The tedious item switching process felt like playing through the OoT water temple for the entire game, especially later on when you're expected to change items frequently. I also found it to be heavily focussed on the main quest/dungeons when the most enjoyable parts of other Zeldas are often anciliarry to the main story, like side quests, interesting characters and secrets. It's clearly a highly influential game, both within the series and in the genre more broadly - but that wasn't enough to keep me (a newcomer to 2D Zeldas) to the end.

Moving on, I've heard next to nothing about Minish Cap and expected it to be a clone of alttp - but a couple of hours in and I've already had more fun than I did in alttp in its entirety. It has everything that was missing and more . Does anybody share the opinion that Minish Cap is the best 2D Zelda? If not, why do you think alttp was the better game? Would I enjoy albw if I enjoyed Minish Cap but not alttp?

Tl;dr: why is pic related not talked about as the best 2D Zelda?
>>
>>342092595
Shit, I meant to say it wasn't enough to keep my /engaged/ all the way to the end. I did finish it.
>>
Also, both games have great soundtracks (Minish Cap's being just a little bit fucked by the godforsaken GBA sound chip), but Minish Cap has miles better art and graphics, even when considering the obvious hardware differences.
>>
>>342092595
Haha nice blog OP!
>>
>>342092595
> yfw you realize Minish Cap's director has made more Zelda games than Miyamoto and Aonuma
>>
Minish Cap, along with the GB/GBC Zelda games are the best no contest.
>>
It's not as tedious as OoT since there's only 1 menu, also If you let It a little while, It'll give you some pretty neat level design.
>>
>>342093256
>He's the director for Breath of the Wild
Get hype.
He was also the director for Skyward Sword...
>>
>>342092595
>Tl;dr: why is pic related not talked about as the best 2D Zelda?

Because LttP is the weakest properly 2D Zelda, hands down and every other one, including this one, is better. LttP has some of the most unmemorable design in the series, I found myself slogging through it without much of a care for anything other than getting to the next bit, because there just isn't that much to care about.

The Oracles and the NES games are the strongest. The Oracles have a lot more 'meat' to them compared to the other 2D titles and are the most solid all rounders, Seasons especially. The NES games are focused on surviving in their hostile worlds and gaining your bearings in their open structure, none of the others are like them.
>>
Out of the many handheld Zelda games I played, Minish Cap is the only one I finished (and thoroughly enjoyed).

So I'd agree
>>
>>342093538
Fujibayashi actually appreciates and understands the NES titles better than anyone else on the Zelda team. I absolutely trust him to make BotW work now that he isn't under the constraints he was with SS, where he was clearly held back from making it the challenging title he wanted to.
>>
Oracles are better. Minish is tied up with awakening for second best. ALTTP it's third, still good.
>>
>>342092595
I share your feelings, m8. I love Minish Cap to bits, while ALTTP is just a hassle to play. The controls feel clunky and the atmosphere isn't all that great, even ALBW does this better. It could never top Minish Cap's Swamp, Graveyard or Cloud Tops.
>>
>>342092595
>not playing the good zeldas when they first came out
>playing them 20 years later after release and be dissapointed

sucks to be you, you missed out on your childhood
>>
I played through some of the 2D Zeldas for the first time recently and actually didn't find myself switching items that much in ALTTP besides the Ganon fight which was tedious. The puzzles were really sparse and simplistic other than some dungeons that were based around one item like the cane in Turtle Rock and all of the bosses (other than Ganon and the double headed dragon) were either killed with one item or just the sword. However, the game feels very "vanilla" compared to the other 2D Zeldas and I never felt engaged in whatever I was doing like I did in Link's Awakening or Minish Cap. It's a really boring game.

But the item switching is a much bigger problem in Link's Awakening imo. The entire overworld is basically a maze of really simple item puzzles.
>>
>>342092595
Minish Cap is pretty comfy. Walking around on the rafters and book cases makes it feel like tloz: borrowers. I wanted to complete the side quests too due to how they changed things in the world.
>>
>>342092595
I share this sentiment, OP.
I find ALTTP the worst 2D and Minish Cap is my favorite. It saddens me how greatly it is under appreciated compared to the other titles.
>>
Is there any reason to not just emulate Minish cap?
I mean, I do have 5 bucks left on the e shop and dont know what to do with them, but does it have any noteable advantages?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.