[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I missing something or are these games complete garbage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10
File: Thief_series_logo.png (14 KB, 220x81) Image search: [Google]
Thief_series_logo.png
14 KB, 220x81
Am I missing something or are these games complete garbage?
>>
>>342091815
(You)
>>
its incredibly overrated, but that doesn't mean that its a bad game, its easily 7-8/10
>>
>>342091815
at least elaborate
>>
>pc
>european
Yep. It hit two of the checkpoints. Thats why its praised to hell and back
>>
>>342093046
>looking glass
>european
...whut?
>>
>>342091815
>>342092254

While I agree than the Thief games are a bit overrated, especially 2. They aren't bad. I just don't think they are as good as Deus Ex and VtMB or SS2 which a lot of their fans compare them too.

I like the games however, fucking top tier level design and atmosphere. Which one are you playing OP and what is your problem with it?

1 = 3 > 2
>>
Thief: The Dark Project is objectively 10/10
>>
>>342091815
Fuck off, I played this just a couple months ago and I enjoyed it more than most shit that comes out nowadays. Not many games give you this degree of freedom of movement and non-linearity.
>>
>>342093664
>Not many games give you this degree of freedom of movement

This is one of the things I love about Thief so much. You can literally get almost anywhere if you are good enough. So many times I have looked up at a place, and then been completely draw dropped in surprise when I realize if I put some effort into it and be creative with the mechanics, I can actually get up there, and there is loot hidden up there too meaning I was supposed to do that. Such a rewarding feeling.

Also the Thief fanbase are some of the most laid back and friendly fanbases on the internet. Creative too considering all the good fan missions.

>playing Sepulchre of the Sinistral for the first time

Fucking god tier honestly.
>>
>>342091815
Neither, you're not missing anything and the games aren't complete garbage (new Thief excepted). You just have shit taste.
>>
>>342093597
>non-linearity.
oh right, the free pass. somehow being linear makes a game shit and being open gives a game a gold medal

dumb kids
>>
>>342093861
people who say "shit taste" are always the ones with the worst taste

>likes thief
>says others have bad taste
>>
>>342093978

The fact that you think that means people have told you that you have shit taste quite often.

Honestly you probably do have shit taste. Most times I see someone else on here calling someone a shit taste faggot I've agreed with his sentiment.
>>
File: join us... join us now!.jpg (6 KB, 180x321) Image search: [Google]
join us... join us now!.jpg
6 KB, 180x321
join us... join us NOW!
>>
>>342093912
Nothing wrong with linearity if the stages and levels are well designed, but non-linearity is generally a plus if the level design and mechanics are consistent.
>>
>>342093861
>>342093978
Nah, he is right, you have shit taste.
>>
>>342091815
Aren't they just old as shit? Why would you EXPECT an old game to be as polished as some modern ones?
>>
>>342094272
fuck em' up the ass
>>
>>342093418
>I just don't think they are as good as Deus Ex and VtMB or SS2 which a lot of their fans compare them too.

Who the fuck does that?

Deus Ex, Bloodlines and, to a lesser extent, SS2 are all RPGs. The Thief games are not RPGs, they are stealth games.

As a stealth game Thief is vastly superior to the others, as an RPG it's vastly inferior, as to which you think is the best it's probably mostly going to come down to personal taste as they are all exceptional games.
>>
>>342094272

Thief has the greatest voice acting and sound design for enemies in a game ever.

The Hammerite Ghosts are especially good. I love the shift in tone the ghosts have, and the buzzing inorganic sound of their voices.

It sounds like they are saying "Man" sometimes. If you leave them alone they just wander around in a dreamlike state, and go "maaaan" like a fucking drugged out hippie but as if they are recalling better days and happy but distant memories, they feel nostaligic in a way. But as soon as you disturb them they become malevolent, yet one of their first words yet again sounds like man, yet it's like a condemnation of the entire humanity, full of hatred and curses, like the mere mention of the world man has caused the ghost further amounts of anger. It's very weird. Sorry for this autistic rant but I just loved listening to the Ghosts and Hammer Haunts speaking and reminiscing and then cursing in anger when you disturbed them.
>>
>>342091815
overrated definitely, garbage i don't think so. its a great stealth game with very memorable scenes. like immediately sneaking into the first castle and walking in on the conversation between the two guards. the atmosphere is astounding, the ambiance really defines the feeling of being alone in a foreign place. actually makes me feel like i am sneaking into these fantastic places myself is how amazing it is. still haven't played much and am not even a stealth fan myself but its my favorite stealth series thusfar and definitely has managed to interest me, as in someone who refused to play stealth games not even a year ago because the thought of doing so was boring.
>>
>>342094551
>3 above anything
>2 below 3
>2 below 1
>2 below anything
Fucking retard
>>
File: stealth4.jpg (55 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
stealth4.jpg
55 KB, 600x450
QUICK
POST YOUR FAVORITE LEVEL
>>
First game is pretty clunky, but was revolutionary for its time, second game is the best stealth ever made by far, third game has great story and level design, but the levels are tiny compared to two previous games because of console development. Don't ever touch Thi4f.
>>
2>3>1>length of the universe>4
>>
>>342094597
do you think hammerite ghosts get embarassed when garret hears them whisper
sorry if i offend anyone i just thought it was funny haha
>>
>>342094551

Holy trinity of PC game threads and every other best game ever threads. I always see games like DX,VtMB and Thief mentioned together as PC's greatest classics.

>>342094664

3 is underrated as fuck. If you use the Sneaky Updrage which includes mods like T3 Gold and Minimalist project it's a legitmatly good game.

Also while T2 is objectively the best stealth game, and has the more polished stealth mechanics (aside from T3's oil slicks which was a fantastic additon, more variety in non lethals is always good so you don't just end up blackjacking everyone) the thing I love most about Thief is exploration and level design, and also the whole spooky dark atmosphere. So I enjoy T1 over T2.

>>342094665

Down in the Bonehoard if we are talking about official missions only.
>>
>>342094872
>VtMB
>greatest classic
wow whoa
>>
>>342091815
yeah you're missing good taste
>>
>Am I missing something
taste
>>
>>342094872
>the thing I love most about Thief is exploration and level design, and also the whole spooky dark atmosphere. So I enjoy T1 over T2
Fair enough.
>hurr 3 is underrated if you use mods it's a good game
No.
>>
>>342094872
>Holy trinity of PC game threads and every other best game ever threads. I always see games like DX,VtMB and Thief mentioned together as PC's greatest classics.

I can kind of understand Thief, Deus Ex and System Shock 2 being lumped together as they are all contemporaries and related to Looking Glass in some way but Bloodlines seems really out of place.

The late 90s to early 2000s was the golden age of PC games in general. It's was just great game after great game for years.
>>
File: thief1-endgame-builder.jpg (61 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
thief1-endgame-builder.jpg
61 KB, 1024x768
>>342093418
desu I prefer Thief over those games because, while they tried to do a great many things with varying degrees of success, Thief mostly focused on one thing (stealth) and knocked it out of to ballpark. Also, all of these games have some parts where there are overall dips in quality, but Thief never falls apart quite as catastrophically as VTMB or SS2 (if I didn't enjoy zombie levels maybe I'd think differently).
And maybe it's unfair to count mods but I have a lot more time in Thief thanks to fan missions.
>>
>>342093418
>I just don't think they are as good as Deus Ex and VtMB or SS2 which a lot of their fans compare them too.
Of course, they're not as good. Because they're miles better. DX, VtMB and SS2 may have great systems in theory, but actual games are unbalanced as fuck with pretty meh gameplay. Thief while not having crazy role-playing or social system actually has good gameplay mechanics and superior level design. And it no down time.

Thief did less, but did it miles better.
>>
>>342095367
That's a correct opinion to have. I loved SS2 when I played it, but the game has some truly garbage RPG elements and really bad combat. It excels at atmosphere, characters, etc. but it's not perfect.

VtMB is just such a mess sometimes, but then again, most great RPGs are.
>>
>>342094872
>le holy trinity
no
>>
>>342093418
>VtMB
>literally a broken meme of a game that is almost completely unplayable with a shit busted engine
>better than thief 2
WEW
>>
>>342091815
>Am I missing something?

Yes. You are missing the first 3 games. Only the cockrings one you've played is garbage.
>>
>All this new map changes and new objectives when you played on expert in Thief I
>>
1>2

In my opinion.
>>
>>342095545
>unplayable
pleb detected
finished the game multiple times without patch
>>
>>342095609
In terms of story, art-direction, atmosphere, sure.
>>
>>342095459
What did you not like about the combat in SS2?
>>
>>342095565

I'm going to be honest, I looked up a walkthrough a couple of times on that difficulty.

The ways some of that shit is hidden in seemingly random places... I'd take me hours just to beat a single level.
>>
File: heardyoutalkingshit.gif (2 MB, 488x291) Image search: [Google]
heardyoutalkingshit.gif
2 MB, 488x291
Thief 2 was the epitome of 1st person stealth.
Op is a faggot.
>>
>>342095621
>without patch

Not possible. There's a game breaking bug in the unpatched version that is guaranteed to happen to everyone.
>>
>>342095609

It's ironic that the theme of Thief 2 is industrialization, but the introduction of colored lightmaps in that game makes its atmosphere feel much warmer and comfier than Thief 1.
>>
>>342095621
it's full of game breaking bugs and won't even start if you have more than 3.5 gb of ram because it reads it wrong
the whole thing is a half baked broken mess
>>
>>342095647

I guess.

My problem with the second game is not that the levels were bad but it felt like they picked random maps and built the game around them.

I think that's probably what they did too: I remember reading something along these lines in an article about thief 2.
>>
>>342091815

You were born about 10 years too late
>>
>>342095748
How about the fact that melee enemies can't hit you if you move because all their attack animations require them to stand still?

Makes rumblers a lot less scary, which is a damn shame.
>>
Thief 1 and 2 are literally the best games ever made
>>
>>342095918
this seems to be the sentiment people in these circlejerks mask as opinions. in these threads, its always deus ex, thief, and system shock 2 that all play so fucking similarly. any other thread its completely different but you all don't even try and hide the fact you aren't even capable of expanding beyond this early 3d stealth horror genre
>>
File: 1453683019401.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1453683019401.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>342097351
>Deus Ex
>SS2
>stealth horror
>>
>>342097513
>you don't use stealth in system shock 2 or deus ex
>neither games are horrific showing a post apocolyptic world where everything that could go wrong does
>>
>>342097351
>but you all don't even try and hide the fact you aren't even capable of expanding beyond this early 3d stealth horror genre
what would you like me to expand into anon-kun~~~
>>
>>342097513
ss2 is sci-fi/horror
deus ex is very much a stealth game
>>
>>342097736
>>342097783
Deus Ex is still anything but a horror game
>>
>>342093597
>Thieves Guild
No
>>
>>342097764
you would really like games like quake and descent if you enjoy early 3d worlds and freedom of movement
umihara kawase has a great emphasis on exploration and observation in a platformer and extremely large potential for freedom of movement
psychonauts is a fun 3d platformer with unique characters and areas to explore
arx fatalis is a full 3d puzzle dungeon crawler adventure with an okami like interface for spells
stalker is a stealth horror game as well with great gunplay and amazing atmosphere (be sure to turn on dynamic lighting)
dungeon keeper is a god game which has some great scenarios and satisfying aesthetic
master of magic is a turn based strategy game which makes you feel powerful. i really like the final fantasy tactics-like combat
>>
File: 1455872943807.jpg (92 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1455872943807.jpg
92 KB, 960x960
>>342097351
>people talk about Thief and similar games in Thief threads, and games which aren't Thief and aren't similar to Thief in other threads
Thank you for this deep insight. Are you also shocked when people talk about Doom and Duke 3d in Doom threads?
>>
>>342095018
Are you implying it isn't?
>>
>>342097351

Superiority of quality is not a genre.
>>
>>342097351
>Deus Ex
>horror

>SS2
>stealth
>>
>>342098576
>talk about Thief
>Thief 1 and 2 are literally the best games ever made
>discussion
that isn't a discussion its a echochamber of a cult with all the same opinions
>>
1 and 2 are god-tier.
I played 3 for the first time after listening to podcasts with the ex-employees of LGS and it was really, really cool.
I prefer 1 to 2 simply because you could "sprint" by jumping.
>>
>>342098482
>>342097351
Anon I've played most of those games and they're great.
But why the fuck would I talk about them in a Thief thread? Aside from Arx Fatalis, which does tend to get brought up along with the rest of Arkane's games since they feel like descendants of Looking Glass games in the same way Deus Ex does.

>>342098835
If you ignore every post in this thread except for the couple posts like that, I can see why you would think that.
>>
>>342098482
>arx fatalis is a full 3d puzzle dungeon crawler adventure with an okami like interface for spells
>stalker is a stealth horror game as well with great gunplay and amazing atmosphere (be sure to turn on dynamic lighting)
>dungeon keeper is a god game which has some great scenarios and satisfying aesthetic
>master of magic is a turn based strategy game which makes you feel powerful. i really like the final fantasy tactics-like combat
Already played these and more. If you really liked t he tactics combat of MoM you should go play Master of Orion 2 which, while set in space, has the even superior combat in my opinion.

Both Umihara Kawase as well as Psychonauts I have 0 interest in playing.
>>
>>342098752
there is plenty horrific about deus ex. take the second level for example, famished people stricken with poverty, starts out with a child begging for food. then a sick man begging for death, all to end in a fucking hostage situation. i also think stealth in itself evokes fear and in this particular game has a very horrific feeling a-la thief, especially around mechs and snipers

and there were also many situations of stealth in system shock 2, at least for me. i found myself sneaking past most enemies because i plain didn't want to be seen. like the turrets in the third area and all the cameras
>>
>>342098835
Now this is some top shitposting right here
>>
You're missing something.
With that said, it's true the Thief games are over rated beyond belief.
>>
>>342094806
>3 over 1
You have got to be fucking kidding me. I don't even like 1 all that much but that's just insanity.

It's 2 > 1 >>>>> 3 > 4
>>
File: dishonored.jpg (164 KB, 1300x731) Image search: [Google]
dishonored.jpg
164 KB, 1300x731
Maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes I get the impression that most of us /Taffers/ are nostalgiafags that think that no new video game ever came close to the original Thief games.

Personally, I like Dishonored more than Thief 1 and as much as Thief 2.
>>
>>342098835
>its a echochamber of a cult with all the same opinions

Maybe. But then coming into it and trying to be contrarian in response to it is ultimately just as bad
>>
>>342099760
I like Dishonored, but not as much as Thief 1 or 2. It's still pretty good and I have hope for the sequel
>>
you guys will never experience playing thief when it was fresh. it was quite an experience.
>>
File: 1463012266372.png (555 KB, 609x722) Image search: [Google]
1463012266372.png
555 KB, 609x722
>>342091815
>Am I missing something or are these games complete garbage?

Dunno. Is it possible you missed the level design, sound engineering, delineation between light and dark etc? If you updated the graphics on Thief 2 it would basically still be one of the most advanced stealth games around even 16 years later.

Can you name any newer stealth games that have actually done anything interesting in those areas rather than just layering on shitty gimmicks like ebin takedowns and gadgets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU
>>
>>342099760
I can't say I'm nostalgic for Thief because I played them after I played Dishonored.
>>
>>342091815

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YYNPnql9YI
>>
>>342092254
>incredibly overrated
It's the exact opposite, most people haven't even heard of the games / bothered to play them.
>>
File: 1434047923245.gif (3 MB, 280x358) Image search: [Google]
1434047923245.gif
3 MB, 280x358
>>342098152
>The Dark Project
>Thieves guild
>>
>>342091815
You should play Thiaf, it was designed with you in mind.
>>
>thief
>system shock 2
>deus ex
>stalker
>quake
>wolfnestein

When did you realize pcfaggots are biggest nostalgia-goggle-wearing shit-defending lunatics than any nintendo or sony fan?

Like oh my fucking god these games are down right AWFUL
>>
>thief 4 and dishonored actually way better than any of the earlier thief games
>no!!11 1 and 2 r bestest!!!!!

Its ok Jimmy. No one is taking your memories away from you.

But maybe just maybe you are blinded by nostalgia
>>
>>342103182
What are your favorite games?
>>
>>342103290
I'm taking the bait. Why do you think thief 4 is better than the first two ?
>>
>>342095545
Not to mention it over simplifies the lore, stereotypes the clans back to almost 1e levels and misses the whole fucking point of the source material.

It's not a bad game but it's a terrible example of V:TM if you've ever played the table top with even reasonable level players.
>>
>>342103528
For fuck's sake why did you have to take the bait?
>>
>>342104053
sorry
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.