[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went wrong with starbound ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1466398283445.gif (103 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
1466398283445.gif
103 KB, 227x222
what went wrong with starbound ?
>>
>>342083882
Devs are dicks
>>
Lazy furries
>>
>>342083882
Undertale was better and less annoying
>>
>>342084142
I wish I could say the same about you annon.
>>
>>342083882
but the 1.0 is coming soon !
>>
>>342083882
Chucklefucks
Also Tiy or whoever is a horrible game designer and should stick to his sprite art
>>
>>342083882

A bad lead director and excessive ambition for a first project. Not even considering how your game would progress halfway into development is a big fucking program.
>>
File: skwark.png (436 B, 129x129) Image search: [Google]
skwark.png
436 B, 129x129
A lot of hype and a really incompetent dev team
They delivered very little over a very long time, and modders did stuff faster and better. If I recall they actually just used took the modder's stuff and put it in the game.

I fell for the hype
>>
>>342083882
What IS wrong with Starbound? I played it 2 weeks ago at my friend's house and it seems alright.
>>
>>342085867
You know how Spore was a mediocre at best game, but everyone hates it because it could have been amazing?
It's like that.
>>
>>342085941
Ahh, that sort of thing. Speaing of which, I wonder how many people will hate and automatically give bad reviews for Mighty Number 9 even if it turns out to be a solid 7/10 decent game?

Like, sure be disappointed and all but don't be consumed by it you know?
>>
>>342086128
Everyone is going to be mad, the game will be forgotten instantly, and none of that guys games will ever get funded again
It's for the best really
>>
>>342086128

Starbound was legitimately bad tough. I have not played it in a while. But it was clear that the devs had no idea what they actually want to do with the game.

They had no direction, had no idea what to do with combat, the progression was all over the place.

And the worst part? The people quickly figured out how bad the planets are. They are all boring with maybe 1 gimmick on them, and the exploration brings you nothing. Its why terrarias 1 but full and exciting world ends up being so much better.
>>
>>342086746
Yeah, the game was absolute dogshit on release. It's improved quite a bit since then, but there's still some problems.
>>
File: laughing whore.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
laughing whore.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>342084287
>more than 2 months ago
>after more than 2 years of empty words and lies
>>
>>342087256

By improved you mean they fixed the issues they caused themselves while addint nearly nothing to the game besides now having to fix your ship and 1 central hub that lagged the fuck out of everyone?

I mean is there any real sensible progression to the game or does hopping around worlds still feel pointless.
>>
stupid fucking design decisions that contradict the game itself (solo only story missions, removal of bosses from the world)

and a terrible update schedule that was vehemently defended by the incredibly arrogant dev team.
>>
>>342088401
Progression is based on the ores you mine (which are gated by planet difficulty) and then you have to beat a mission every tier to unlock the next crafting table and grants you a powerup that allows you to survive in certain planet biomes (like breathing underwater or breathing poisonous air) allowing you to go to harder planets, rinse and repeat.

The enemies still feel really bland, though.
>>
>>342088765

Shame, sounds like they finally made some progress with progression. Or at least stuck to one idea.

Fixing monsters will be a bitch tough, and probably never done. Are there more than the original bosses now?
>>
>>342083882
The biggest problem is that it was released in Early Access. People buying Early Access titles always want a 1.0 release pushed out the next day. Granted, there was once or twice when the devs said they wanted to get 1.0 soon, but ultimately, the devs treated Early Access as a full development strategy instead of an extended closed beta.

The game has changed a lot over the years. First combat was just simple, boring walking and jumping. Now ducking, blocking, dashing, and special attacks all play into the mix. Planets first were simple 1-biome rocks to be strip mined to now getting special dungeons, NPCs, multiple-biomes, and more. Biggest thing being that it shat the bed in performance, and now you really only get the occasional stutter in the Unstable build in the outpost.

But because the game was released in Early Access, people haven't really touched it since first playing it Dec. 2013-Early 2014. The game made great strides in getting closer and closer to the features promised in 1.0, and you can see the skeletal systems for features they outlined in the Final Approach to 1.0 page they put out back in April, but a lot of people were spurned because Early Access isn't a comfortable way to play the game for a lot of people due to how rough the development process can be.

It's a shame because 1.0 is right around the corner and even a lot of people who bought the game aren't going to play it because of how it was in the early days of its development cycle.
>>
>>342089015
Yeah, they removed that shitty skeleton dinosaur or something boss they had at one point. There's 4 bosses and one of those is the penguin UFO, I believe the other 3 are new. Eldritch crystal, giant spider, penguin in a mech.
>>
>>342089185

It was released as early access as a 80-90% complete product. I wish i still had the fucking webpage saved with all their progress shit detailed.

They then promised a release in a few months, that turned into several months which soon turned into years.

Also those great strides you talk about, were more like a drunk guy tumbling down the hill, with each update breaking or removing what was added in the previous and the game made no real progress in probably a year after the early access release.

Didn't help that most of the chucklefish team including the community managers, rather pissed off their community and shit on them instead of trying to pacify them.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.