[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: header.jpg (42 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
42 KB, 460x215
What went wrong?
>>
Literally nothing.
>>
>>342081716
piss bottles
>>
File: what went wrong.png (21 KB, 620x472) Image search: [Google]
what went wrong.png
21 KB, 620x472
>>
>>342081716
I don't like puzzle games. So everything it does is inherently wrong.
>>
>>342081716
Nothing other than inflating Johnathan Blow's ego a bit more.

Early frontrunner for GOTY with Tumblr/Reddit crew. But a rare exception where the game in question is actually cool---a tough first person puzzle game-length homage to Myst/Riven.
>>
>>342081716
Should have been more linear. Make sure the player goes through all the tutorial areas before wandering in to a puzzle they have no clue what the symbols mean.
>>
>>342081716
It suffered from same puzzle. It think the idea is that you are supposed to play it like solitaire or mine sweeper and do like a couple puzzles a day during a break or before bed. But the game was too obscure to appeal to a mass audience that would do that and so the hardcore people that like to marathon a game in a day just found it to be lacking.

Especially with the lack of carrot to keep you going.
>>
>>342081716
>$40 dollarydoos for an on-rails puzzle-book made with baby's-first unity post-processing effects.
>>
>>342081716
It was made by the Blowster
>>
File: 1375069874862.gif (249 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1375069874862.gif
249 KB, 500x364
>>342081716
The main reason I disliked it was because it had the mechanical depth of a smartphone puzzle game. The environmental puzzles were few and far between and certainly not enough to justify their existence. The setting was really nice but the game really needed some deeper puzzle variety to make it live up to it's self-proclaimed 'myst-esque gameplay'.
>>
>>342082114
>made in unity

So it's garbage
>>
>>342082408
I don't know what it's made with.

I'm saying it looks like it was made by some random person who was playing around with post-processing filters in unity.
>>
Pretentious not-a-story
>>
It had pretentiousness coming out it's ass, but you can separate yourself from it easily enough and just enjoy exploring and looking for puzzles.

Sept for that one god damn section. You know the one, where you have to watch movies. Some were ok but that god damn clip of Nostalgia. No context or reason or anything, just a 10 minute clip of walking back and forth with a lighter and then the shot of the church so you can finally use that as the white circle for the puzzle. Fuck making me sit through that.
>>
File: the-witness-hedge-1-puzzle-9.jpg (134 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
the-witness-hedge-1-puzzle-9.jpg
134 KB, 1024x576
beautiful crafted island, wonderful sound design, kiiinda interesting lore on the island...and the only puzzles we get are on panels like this...literally every single puzzle is on a panel except for a few environmental ones.

I played through it from start to finish in 21 hours (with breaks), spent another 3 hours on the dungeon challenge and that was it. I was expecting more.
>>
>>342083102
Not $40 justifiable though. Not ever.

Talos Principle maybe, even though the entire game is basically a Serious Sam custom map.

Croteam has a hardon for that $40 price tag.
>>
>>342081716
Expensive af for an indie game at launch
>>
>>342081716
Literally nothing.
>>
>>342082549
They literally made it from scratch
>>
>Made by jonathan blow
>>
Kids love to use the "pretentious" meme in things they dont understand.

The amount of work put in this game is mindblowing. The lore surrounding deepens as you descend the mountain and everything comes together. 10/10
>>
>>342082408
Don't be a fucking faggot, Unity is a fine engine.

It's also one of the most easily accessible, causing everyone and their retarded brothers to use it.

So tired of the "hurrr unity" meme, like the game engine is responsible for the shit games made with it.
>>
>>342089147
There's no way you can truthfully say that the movie area isn't the most pretentious thing you've ever seen in a video game.
>>
>>342089392
>>342082114
>>342082549
See
>>342086550

It is NOT MADE IN UNITY. I'm not even sure why you're allowed to begin mentioning that program in a thread about such a well-crafted game anyway. Seriously what the fuck.
>>
>>342081716
repetitive as fuck

the world is cool, but what you actually do in the game is just the same browser flash game for 20 hours
>>
>>342081716
turned into a 100 hour game for €40

if it doesn't go below €15 this summer sale i'll just skip it altogether
>>
This is literally the best game ever made and if you didn't like it YOU are the cancer killing the industry from the inside out!
>>
Nothing. The secret ending is fucking amazing in every way. Only goobergate babies who aren't intellectual enough to get it hate this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIDX4odnT3I
>>
>>342081716
Nothing.
>>
>>342081716

People who think watching pop science makes them great philosophers.
>>
I highly prefer puzzle games like the talos principle where there way more variations in puzzles.
>>
>>342081716
walking simulator full of mobile game puzzles
>>
It's just line puzzles. It could literally be a tablet game no problem. That would have the benefit of not having to wander around a bland environment and be overwhelmed by the developer's pretentiousness.
>>
I don't know, it tried to be like Myst?
>>
>>342091337

It didn't try to be like Myst. Myst had an actual story and context behind what you're doing outside of pretentious nonsense about opening up your mind.
>>
>>342089685
Not him, but the movie area proves that games truly can do comedy.
>>
>>342081786
i see what you did there anon, here, have a (you)
>>
>>342081716
you take the time to make a genuinel pretty world and populate it with puzzles that are not only repetitive as fuck but also force us to look at a square foot board rather than the entire forest I'm sure a modeling team took abut 6 weeks to make right.
>>
>>342082617
>>342091425
The non-story is my only real beef with the otherwise-great game. I was really looking forward to a tale akin to Myst, but got nothing, even though I understand the point of the "story" that's there. It's especially disappointing because it devalues the island into being just a game to find and solve puzzles on instead of an immersive world.
>>
>>342082114
He made it's own engine
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.