[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark souls 1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: darksouls-570x344.jpg (71 KB, 570x344) Image search: [Google]
darksouls-570x344.jpg
71 KB, 570x344
>everyone says this game is the best souls when the bosses after the 2 bro's in anor londo were all garbage

Why?
>>
>>342060553
Story wise it is solid like a book.
>>
Because it was the majoritys 1st souls game
Because it was the first one on PC
Because it was the first one that got even remotely big
>>
>>342060553
>the second half of the game is shit
Where did this meme even start? No area/boss is straight up bad in dark souls 1 except for bed of chaos. Grand archives is also probably one of the best designed areas in the game.
>>
>>342060898
stop calling everything a meme you fucking autists
>>
No soul memory
Red Eye Orb
Fun covenants (bring back Gravelords)
Invasions were fair on both sides, as opposed to the 1v4 with the 4 being allowed to heal and the host having more max health
Lloyd's Talismans actually worked

It's the only game I was able to put a large amount of hours into because of invading at all sorts of levels
>>
I think people generally say that because Dark Souls 2 was a pretty huge step backwards and Dark Souls 3 was largely just fixing some of the problems 2 introduced but still without the stellar level design that characterized the first game.

Bloodborne is too different in its focus (on aggression instead of patience) so it mostly comes down to taste. Dark Souls 3 incorporating some of Bloodborne's changes also complicates people's feelings on it as well.

So I think Dark Souls 1 is held up as the best one by people who like its gameplay style pretty much by default. 2 is just a worse version of it, Bloodborne is too different, and 3 is either somewhere between the first and second in quality or too close to Bloodborne appeal to them.

Demons' Souls isn't included because they never played it.
>>
>>342060898
Crystal cave was shit mate.

The bosses sucked and none after O&S were remotely engaging.
>>
>>342060553
Things i literally hare about the game:
Skeleton beasts
Crystal cave invisible bridge
I also dislike the plataforming in anor londo because i have a fear of heights, but with poison arrows i just cheese most enemies there.
>>
>>342061291
t. some twink
>>
>>342062848
I invaded at 30 with unupgraded gear.
Kill yourself my man.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 214x180) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 214x180
After these two i though the game got too easy
>>
>>342060898
>No area/boss is straight up bad in dark souls 1 except for bed of chaos
And Ceaseless Discharge
And Moonlight Butterfly
And Centipede Demon
Lost Izalith is fucking horrible and Demon Ruins is pretty bad as well. Worse than any area in any other Souls game. Crystal Cave also sucks pretty hard.
The rest of the second half bosses are just plain mediocre or boring. Sif and OandS are the only vanilla bosses that are really great.

>>342061291
>No soul memory
Soul Memory was indeed garbage
>Red Eye Orb
Not that much of an issue in DS2 considering you could get those broken orbs anywhere and buy them infinitely in NG+ for cheap
>Fun covenants (bring back Gravelords)
Gravelords was shit though. You couldn't watch your curse infect other players and other players had no reason to give a shit unless they were in NG+
>Invasions were fair on both sides, as opposed to the 1v4 with the 4 being allowed to heal and the host having more max health
Yeah. Dark Souls 3 has garbage PvP
>Lloyd's Talismans actually worked
A shame people actually need to use those in any game.
>>
>>342063570
Actually after O&S you finally git gud, that is why the game becomes easier.
>>
>>342063662
>You couldn't watch your curse infect other players
That wasn't the point.
The point was dropping your sign would get you immediately invaded by 3 people and you'd get a crazy free for all.
>>
File: big lebowski.jpg (34 KB, 311x320) Image search: [Google]
big lebowski.jpg
34 KB, 311x320
>>342060553
>>
>>342063762
Not him but thats wrong.
Every boss after OandS is flawed in one heavy way or another and it shows.

Four Kings is a DPS test that you either fail or dominate.
Nito is dumb as shit and kills his own allies for you over and over again.
Seath is just as challenging as Coventous Demon except that he has a curse gimmick that can annoy the player if he doesn't run for his sides.
And Bed of Chaos doesn't need to get explained just like all bosses in Demon Ruins.
And the final boss Gwyn being parryable was a huge mistake.
>>
>>342060898
When I first played it I really REALLY disliked the second half of the game. I thought Bed of Chaos was terrible, HATED Tomb of the Giants, and visually was turned off by sunken londo. It made me just want to replay Demons Souls and hope that got a sequel.
>>
File: happyskel.jpg (73 KB, 400x346) Image search: [Google]
happyskel.jpg
73 KB, 400x346
>>342061291
>>342063662
>Invasions were fair on both sides, as opposed to the 1v4 with the 4 being allowed to heal and the host having more max health

Invaders assblasted because they can't ruin people games attacking underleveled players with their minmaxed builds
How could miyazaki make pvp so GOOD
>>
>>342064664
Yeah man summon 3 of us sunbros praise le sun lmao xD
>>
>>342064664
You act like Death is something super serious and gamechanging in Dark Souls.

But i also think that Dark Souls 2s PvP - Something that gets praise even from people who dislike the game overall - was anything but perfect.

>lagstabbing
>muh iframe abuse
>hexes being OP

It's fun at first to see people try various builds on early levels but once you hit the 10M Souls you only encounter gamemechanic abusing tryhards in memebuilds.
>>
>>342064919
However all of that coul've been fixed by just making soul memory being affected by souls you spend instead of all souls taken, and it's better than having those unbalanced as fuck invasions that make some people just hate the game because they were just getting into it.
>>
>>342060553
Because most of us are willing to forgive that fact that they had deadlines to meet. Every Souls has had some late game issues because of this, even Bloodborne.
>>
I have so much trouble with games like these.

I guess it's because I don't fall in line with the whole male power fantasy thing, which most games are geared towards. You know, being a murderous drone with no real identity beyond your killcount. That sort of thing. I just can't do it. And that's a shame, because often I will enjoy the lore and the world.

Put me in front of wildlife or even a dragon and ask me to kill it, though, and I'll feel sadness. I can't help myself. All I see are other creatures trying to survive, and the levels of Freudian in killing a dragon do me in. I mean, it's almost like a rebellious youth thing, isn't it? The dragon is a representation of a person with power, authority, wisdom, intellect, and knowledge -- it's literally an avatar of what it means to be an elder.
>>
>>342065442
Well said friend.
>>
File: 1461855958163.jpg (99 KB, 312x560) Image search: [Google]
1461855958163.jpg
99 KB, 312x560
>>342065442
>>
>>342060898
>Grand archives is also probably one of the best designed areas in the game.
I mean if we are talking about the one in DaS3 which is actually called that, yes.
If you are somehow retarded and managed to not remember that it's called Dukes Archives, I guess you would also be stupid enough to enjoy that dogshit area. Reskinned hollows, a single new enemy type, boring level design, copypaste forest, crystal caves in it's entirely is dogshit. Only redeemable part is the prison area. The fact that you would consider it better than Sens, Painted World, Undead Burg/Parish, and New Londo is insulting.
>>
played DeS first

BB/DaS1 > DaS3 > DeS> will play 2 later
>>
File: 1424410399202.png (77 KB, 228x223) Image search: [Google]
1424410399202.png
77 KB, 228x223
>>342060787
>>
>>342060898
Blight town and crystal caves fucking sucled and wasted time. Blight town was particularly bad for lagging on ps3
>>
Dark Souls was saved by its dlc. Still the best game in the series next to bloodborne
>>
>>342070762
Crystal cave was fine and Blighttown was in the first half.
>>
>>342070762

>blight town

literally the quintessential dark souls level.

only turboplebs hate it, its brutally unforgiving in all the right ways, visually intriguing, thematically engaging, and connects numerous areas of the game at once

my favorite level in the game

>muh console framerate
>>
It's fun
>>
>>342065403
I thought DS3's endgame was pretty solid.
>Lothric Castle
>Consumed King's Garden
>Untended Graves
>Archdragon Peak
>Kiln of the First Flame
>>
>>342060553
Being sl2 and chasing newbs around with Qualaags Furysword is epic keks.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enkEiD8PC5o
>>
>>342071964
>consumed kings garden
>untended graves
>archdragon peak
>kiln
>these are your representatives for good DaS3 endgame
I mean I agree with you, DaS3 endgame is probably the strongest and it's actually early to mid-game that's a bit weak, but those areas are pretty shit apart from their bosses
Should have mentioned grand archives
>>
>>342071664
Really? You can fall down it in seconds mostly unharmed right next to the bonfire lol.
>>
>>342072613

i was going to ask how many noobs are going to actually do that their first run or ever

but you'd just reply with greentext about how the first time you played you just scoped the place out at silky smooth 8fps and immediately skipped the entire area since you're not a scrub
>>
>>342072754
Yes at sl1 with half health.
>>
>>342072754
I don't actually remember it running particularly slowly on my ps3. I mean the entire game was already pretty slow, and even then when I tried the 60FPS mod on PC it just felt weird. Dark Souls feels better at a lower frame rate

But yeah, Blighttown didn't perform any worse than the rest of the game so idk. 2nd gen PS3 for me.
>>
>>342073079
It performed like shit in mine. And I usually don't even notice drops in frame rate. That's how bad it was. Not all of the time, mind you. And it mostly happened in the upper sections.
>>
>>342068601
I still stand by my decision to enjoy the Grand Drake Archives.
>>
>>342073079

I dont know, despite having a PS3 i never played it until it came out on PC

people just constantly complain about framerate dips there
>>
>tfw the BKGS dropped on my first playthrough
Holy shit that thing carried me through the whole game
>>
>>342068601
Yeah and the Grand Archives also doesn't have any new enemies either beside waxhead.
>>
>>342074309
good thing its the best designed level in souls. only research hall can compete.
>>
>>342060553
You've made a mistake in your greentext. That's why you can't understand.
>>
>>342060553
Its the first one they played
>>
Is that your excuse when every boss in 2 is shit except smelter and looking glass knight?
>>
>>342074309
That was a problem with DaS3 in general really. I got really sick of fighting those dumb crawler things in every area, seemed out of place.
>>342074592
Nah, research hall is still well and above every other area. I never thought they could ever do DeS-tier level design again but dam they proved me wrong.
>>
>>342074898
Thralls are slaves so they could be anywhere, really.
>>
>>342075790
They could have at least I don't know, make a bigger thrall or something with a different moveset, or hell even just a recolor. most that happens is that some get some heated weapons.
>>
I hate the faggots that only focus on the "difficulty" and the "fair but hard" bosses instead of the fun asects, innovation, weird bosses, world level design and the atmosphere. That is why the seried turned into shit.
>>
File: he dabbin.jpg (76 KB, 800x795) Image search: [Google]
he dabbin.jpg
76 KB, 800x795
>>342060787
>story wise
>DaS Franchise
>story
>>
I started the series with Demon Souls, still halfway. Did I do good? The games get better right?
>>
>>342077201

>The games get better right?

No, they're all shit

>Did I do good?

I guess, the only reason people play these games is to say they did even though it doesn't mean anything because they're casual as fuck no matter what Fromdrones delude themselves into thinking.
>>
>>342078168

>you're not allowed to enjoy a game
>>
>>342060898
Crystal Cave is awful even if Seath is not a bad boss
Bed Of Chaos and Lost Izalith are incredibly cheap and lazy
Four Kings are only good in NG+

The last part (is not a second half, really) is lazier than all that precedes it. It's not awful, but it's a let down.

Still, a great game.
>>
>>342077201
Demon's Souls is my favorite, so I wouldn't say that. If you're not enjoying the exploration and atmosphere right now, it's unlikely that you ever will. It's better to not force yourself.
>>
>>342079650
I fucking love the atmosphere and exploration, solving puzzles is funner than the actual fighting.
I loved tower of latria. But still can't beat the boss on 3-2.
>>
>>342080261
Oh. Well, then just carry on. I didn't like Dark Souls much, but it still has cool atmosphere and there's still exploration to be done. So that might be enough.
>>
>>342060553
The way I played the game, the only bosses that came after OS were
>4kids
>Bed of Chaos
>Nito
>Maybe Priscilla?

So really that's not a big deal.

Then again I did literally every single thing possible up until OS and then after Anor Londo I killed the bosses and I think did the DLC before I finished the game.

It wasn't intentional but I feel like I might've played the game a little off from the intended path.
>>
>>342060553
It's the "best" because it's better than the rest.

It doesn't mean the whole series is decent though. It's like saying eating a shit full of nuts is better than eating a shit full of sweetcorn because you get a creamy aftertaste.

Dark Souls 1 in general suffered with aging terribly, especially compared to all the other games, plus, the quality of the game rapidly declines after you move through Sens Fortress and areas become less convoluted, more open space. The only decent area remaining after clearing Sens is the Painted World of Ariamis, and even that can be skipped in two jumps, bypassing 95% of the entire well designed area..
>>
>>342080530
Well this is impossible to do, I'll let you figure out why
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.