[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Back in 2013 or so, when I was 18, I made a lot of posts about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: fez.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fez.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
Back in 2013 or so, when I was 18, I made a lot of posts about how much I hated it when indie devs used this "big blocky pixel" artstyle. I'd point out how cliche it was becoming and bemoan the lack of vector/polygon-based art. I thought the lo-res pixel art style was just a way to cover up laziness. And back then, every single time I pointed any of this out, I'd get a ton of responses about how "pixel art is all most indie devs can do, nobody cares grafixfag, yadda yadda". I hated it because it seemed like /v/ was just promoting being lazy.

Fast forward to now, I guess it still is a crude, cheap way of making graphics. However, I've warmed up to it - I can appreciate that not everyone has the technical know-how for vectors and polygons, especially when most of the programs that are used to produce them require a huge time investment just to get mildly competent in, and most engines that support these formats have steep licensing fees and legal requirements that lawyerless indies don't want to bother with.

But it seems times have really shifted, as now whenever the topic of pixel art in indie games comes up, people bring up the same things I was complaining about 3 years ago and laughed at for. What happened here? Why did popular opinion suddenly do a 180? It's not like pixellated indies are more common now than they were back then.

What's up with this?
>>
Nice blog entry.
Now fuck off.
>>
>>342016186
It's possible that your exercising confirmation bias.
When you hated pixel art, You fixated on the opposing side.
Now that you're accepting of pixel art, you are still fixating on the opposing side.
Thing that people deem to be "problems" tend to grab more of that person's attention. Because of one's natural inclination to want to solve/alleviate/evade problems.
>>
>>342016186
Are you seriously asking us to tell you why you changed your attitude towards pixel art?
Is that seriously the question you are asking a board that pretents to hate videogames?

Jesus fuck, how are faggots like you ever going to fight a war.
>>
>>342016968
>he talked about his personal experiences
>"nice blog post hurr"

>>342017231
I'm honestly not. Look at some old threads from foolz.fireden.net, and compare it to now.
>>
>>342017454
I think he's asking why people suddenly changed their stance to what he had 3 years ago when he was more immature. Basically why positions changed.
>>
>>342016186
>25 cents has been deposited in your account
>>
>>342017454
Is elementary-level reading comprehension really that difficult?
>>
>>342017814
Who is being shilled here?
>>
>>342017875
It would be easier if OP wasn't a gigantic hipster faggot with a confirmation bias.
>eugh I hated on indie shit before it was cool
>now everyone hates it and I like it
Fuck off you contrarian hipster retard.
>>
>>342016186
because back when you were hating on pixelart there was a whole bunch of indie games with excellent pixelart.
now there's undertale.
>>
>>342018212
I'm having trouble taking seriously the opinion of someone who can't read a simple post.
>>
>>342018307
Hate to break it to you, but Undertale's demo came out in mid-2013, m8.
>>
Look at steam and tell me again that every shithead should make a kickstarter for their worthless ideas.
There are hundreds garbage games and one decend game.
>>
File: 1451982583946.png (32 KB, 810x1140) Image search: [Google]
1451982583946.png
32 KB, 810x1140
>>342018498
the pixelart is still shit
>>
>>342018520
It was exactly the same way back then.
>>
>>342018589
But everyone loved it when it was only a demo. Again, foolz.fireden.net. Look at threads from 2013.
>>
>>342018402
I recapped the OP, there's just nothing more to it
>>
>>342018737
I agree.
The pixelart for what we got it still fucking shit.
>>
>>342016186
Like all things good pixel art is liked and bad pixel art is not.

See metal slug when compared to undertale.
it's a unfair comparison sure considering the man power behind the two games but it's a good example of good vs bad.
>>
>>342018812
>The pixelart for what we got it still fucking shit.
Nobody's disagreeing with you on that point. Not nowadays, anyway.
>>
>>342018618
Yeah it was but the whole scene as it is today was still in its infancy and everyone hoped it would get better than pixelated pretentious bullshit.
>>
>>342019006
Metal Slug's pixel art was made by people with highly specialized skills of which there are only a few thousand or so in the world, and we're already talking about how Undertale's graphics were rarely criticized in the demo days.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.