[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you have a degree in video game design yet, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1.jpg (27 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
27 KB, 300x250
Why don't you have a degree in video game design yet, /v/?
>>
>>342007107
>Game design
Literally a meme major
>Full Sail University
The only good thing to ever come out of there is NXT
>>
>>342008239
>>>/asp/
>>
File: d25.png (330 KB, 690x550) Image search: [Google]
d25.png
330 KB, 690x550
>>342007107
>degree in video game design
>>
File: 1464288780743.gif (897 KB, 800x430) Image search: [Google]
1464288780743.gif
897 KB, 800x430
>>342007107
>degree in game design
>full sail
How's that crippling debt for four years at a diploma mill treating you?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (285 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
285 KB, 1920x1080
>>342007107
DONT DO IT ANON! RUN! RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!

SALLIE MAE GON' GIT YOU IN THE END!
>>
>>342007107
when i was a kid i wanted to but now im just going computer science so i have more options
>>
When I was younger,no watch Grandmas boy and that made me want to go to college for computer animation and I wanted to work for Rare Ltd. Then I woke up and realized how Fucking retarded that sounded.
>>
>employing yourself in a field related to videogames
I can understand if you did this maybe fifteen years ago, but now?
>games are dead as an artform, even """"""""""indie"""""""""" games are getting published, AKA not indie, self-censoring, corners cut, removal of content for the practice of selling to the consumer at a later date
>mobile games are functioning with two or three men teams hired by former major AAA publishers, making tens of millions of dollars

You are shooting yourself in the foot. Learn to actually code. There are very few times when a degree isn't important to a job, but video game related jobs are a lot of those few times. Coding in general, people would rather have a comprehensive portfolio from you than a degree and no work for that 4 year period.

I mean, look at most of the people google hires. No degree, no real world experience, that's how they can afford all that fancy shit. They're paying these people six figure salaries when any major company would be killing to have them, but passes over them because "durr no degree".

The time of experience over knowledge, with the expanse of available information due to the internet, is at hand. Sadly or not depending on how you look at it. Sad for me cause I wasted 8 years in college, as well as tens of thousands of dollars that ended up being worthless because my entire field has been outsourced to india, but at the same time, I picked up C++ and javascript during downtime at college, built up a portfolio of small things like scrobbling tools for last.fm and they got bought by companies like spotify and pandora, helped build a few smaller sites, and now i've got a full time job making a healthy five figure salary. Not a millionaire by any stretch but I don't have student loans and I can afford food and vidya so i'm okay with it.

In short video games are a terrible field to get in to right now. Pick up a coding language. a REAL one. Not working with DML, or game maker, or RPG maker.
>>
I did 5 years ago. And now I work as a programmer for mobile games with a 6 figure salary. College is a tool to learn something and time to apply that knowledge. Some tools are better than others, but ultimately what gets you hired isn't what you know or can do, but what you can PROVE you know and can do. Making a fucking game and interviewing well will get you a job in games regardless of what degree you have.

>>342009369
Actually most of the teams behind the mobile games in the top 50 charts are 20-50 man teams (depending on who you want to count as part of the 'team'). I can tell you the mobile game job industry is pretty hot right now, its just the rest of the games industry that is pretty dead (except for maybe VR indie early adopters who are gambling on it being big).
>>
>>342007107
I may have fucked up some in my life, but at least I didn't go to a "gamer university"
>>
>>342010459
Maybe for the top of the chart games, but I can assure you 100% that supercell started as a three man team. Even bigger companies like gamevil rarely stick more than 10 people on a team at once. Kritias, cartoon wars 3, zenonia S, dragon blaze and that other one I don't remember all together are still less than 25 people.
>>
>>342010859
Sure they started with a 3 man team, but every game starts with a 3 man team. It's called the prototyping and pre-production phase. Production teams usually don't stay 3 man teams in AAA companies. Also "less than 25 people" is still vastly bigger than 2-3.
>>
>>342007107
because that would mean taking the game apart piece by piece to the point where you're not even playing it anymore.
>>
>>342007107
because unless you graduate at a company's school who will hire you straight away after you graduate it's useless
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.