[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"One of the greatest JRPGs ever, it just got screwed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
>"One of the greatest JRPGs ever, it just got screwed on the second disc!"

>Game takes like three to four hours to start.
>The first 1/4 of disc 1 is a bit above average.
>Second fourth is literally just a shitty, massive timesink.
>Second half wobbles between pretty good to INFURIATINGLY bad.
>Writing varies from solid to "would only impress a teenager".

I'm about to start disc two, but apparently that's the shit part. So...what exactly IS the appeal of Xenogears?
>>
It's a good jrpg with a decent plot, well defined characters, a romantic subplot that actually goes somewhere, fuckton of content and decent gameplay.
Also, big robots.
>>
>>342006552
It's the creepy jeudeochristian mysticism, also that retro nostalgia from when you were a mixed up adolescent.

If you are trying to play it now of course it's not going to have the same magic.
>>
Speaking just for myself:
- playable demo with Parasite Eve, play through it a couple of times because PE was short as hell
- no idea what the intro's about but OK
- battle system is kind of neat, soundtrack's very good, characters seem mostly charming
- demo ends right as something seems ready to happen
- buy full game, play to that point
- almost everyone fucking dies in the next moment

That really surprised me, and motivated me to keep on the game even when it dragged (like the whole prison episode).
>>
It's better than most RPGs at the time, and not just in its writing. The combat is slightly more thoughtful than mainstream Final Fantasy and its knockoffs, the scene direction was great, it struck a good balance between secrets and not being a huge cunt about missables, and it had a few characters that actually mattered.

And it had giant kung fu robots.
>>
>>342006552
>Game takes like three to four hours to start.
Have you ever played a jrpg before?
>>
>>342006552
I really enjoyed the story, most of the characters, the battle system, the aesthetic etc.

What JRPGs do you like if you don't mind me asking? I have some very fond memories towards Xenogears, Vagrant story, Valkyrie profile and most of the FFs on the ps1.
>>
>>342008084
Yeah, most of the good ones only take one or two hours to start.
>>
I dont mind that the 2nd dosc is primarily story, because my biggest gripe is the gameplay. The non gear battles are just mind numbing. Nothing stops you from using your strongest moves repeatedly, the option to input combos yourself is superfluous. The gear fights take actual strategy and are fun
>>
My biggest gripe is the frame rate.
Even for a PS1 game it varies wildly. Some cutscenes look normal, some have slowdown, sometimes it feels like it's running in the 50s, other times the 30s, and sometimes single digits. It's crazy.
>>
It's almost like PS1 JRPGs are massively overrated in general.
>>
>platforming sections
>random battles will cause you to drop like a rock mid jump
>>
Why is Fei such a manlet? Even his gear is a gearlet
>>
>>342009741
>5'10''
Given he was cursed with Adrian genes, this is acceptable. Everyone else is just tall.
>>
>>342010058
>Adrian
Asian. Jesus, phone.
>>
Never could understand the appeal of xeno series. All games in it are an unfinished mess with ergo proxy-tier pretentiousness.

Vagrant Story has infinitely superior quality of writing and characters if we're talking about ps1 era jrpgs.
>>
>>342010313
>All
I'll give you Gears and Saga, but Blade is neither and X is as pretentious as a football game (not very).
>>
>>342009323
nostalgia factor, I think the trend of 4-disc games also set up this idea of a huge adventure that was just due to technical limitations.

it blows my mind Legend of Dragoon is remembered so fondly, just a bland, average game.
>>
>>342010504
I'd place it SLIGHTLY above average.
It's like a 6.
>>
If nothing else, each of the five major chapters has a great climax.
>>
>>342010504
To be fair it's fucking long.
>>
File: DISC 2.jpg (198 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
DISC 2.jpg
198 KB, 2000x2000
>>
>>342011159
You forgot the pendant.
Why the FUCK did they cut the cool shit like the mutating unlimited humans, but kept Rico's shit non-arc? Fuck me.
>>
File: Best Xenogears Party.jpg (266 KB, 850x1078) Image search: [Google]
Best Xenogears Party.jpg
266 KB, 850x1078
>>
>>342011159
>There are people who will unironically argue that the game is finished.
The chair is proof enough this shit barely got done.

>>342011479
You mean best family. Elly does not deserve endgame party slots not that you can give her one.
>>
>Citan is the most obvious creator's pet ever and Saga confirms this.
>Rico shows signs of being a character then shuts up for the rest of the game.
>Chuchu and Maria barely count as characters.

For such a good game, half the party sure is shit.
>>
File: chuchufix.jpg (12 KB, 200x400) Image search: [Google]
chuchufix.jpg
12 KB, 200x400
>>
>>342011989

Chuchu was there just to be token cute animal mascot character, for potential merch etc.
>>
File: 1643006_p0.jpg (624 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1643006_p0.jpg
624 KB, 1024x768
>>342011756
>Not that you can give her one
Please don't remind me ;_;
>>
File: latest.jpg (139 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
139 KB, 450x600
>>342011756

Really the worst case of revolving door heroine I can think of.

>>342010504

>Legend of Dragoon

No, no wait...
>>
File: 54712941_p13.jpg (620 KB, 1280x1813) Image search: [Google]
54712941_p13.jpg
620 KB, 1280x1813
Why didn't she ate the fish?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.