[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boss fights in FPS games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: Wizard_Hd.png (158 KB, 574x512) Image search: [Google]
Wizard_Hd.png
158 KB, 574x512
Why do FPS games have a hard time coming up with good bosses?

Are there any examples of good bosses that aren't just beefed up regular enemies that take forever to kill?
>>
>>341988312
This thread is relevant to my interests so here's a bump
>>
>>341988312
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiBF81JXt9o
I like this.
>>
>>341988312
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF7QmTQLcQQ
>>
>>341988312

The wizard was kind of a letdown, but I liked the other bosses in TSE. The wind god was a blast.

>>341989250

Also kind of a lame fight.

>what the hell am I supposed to do
>oh, I'm supposed to run like hell to these jump pads and slam dunk myself into this hoop while leaning on M1 and spamming cannonballs
>>
>>341988312
Cost effectiveness of ammunition. When enemies take a certain amount of bullets to kill, our brains begin making values for how much a bullet costs. When an enemy takes a lot of bullets to kill, it feels like we're wasting money so we have a negative reaction to them. No matter what the boss is, it'll feel shitty. Same reason people hoard healing items and rare resources in RPGs.
>>
>>341988312
Well, I don't know what to say. 99% of all bossfights ever ARE just a beefed up regular enemy. Even if they have some special fancy moves that no other enemy in the game does, they're still technically only beefed up typical enemies. And then sometimes there's a super gimmicky puzzle you have to do.
>>
>>341988312

Destiny had great bosses. Say what you want about the game, but it had the best FPS bosses I've ever played by a huge margin.
>>
>>341989616
That's the dumbest shit I've ever read
>>
>>341988312
>>341989341

Doom didn't have very many bosses, but the ones it did have were a thrill to fight, and challenging enough, not to mention superbly well designed with interesting backstories, should you choose to look into it
>>
>>341989341
>>341989915
>nu-doom is good meme

please stop this meme is too much
>>
I feel like FPS bosses can be good if there's a good arena and not something like nuDoom where every boss is fought in the same flat circle. Worst part of the nuDoom
>>
>>341989773

Not even the dumbest thing I've read today, but it's up there.
>>
>>341989626
This is exactly why I dislike most boss fights in general. It's almost always way more fun to just slaughter regular enemies.
>>
>>341989358
The larva was a piece of shit.
>Skip cutscene.
>Destroy the machines while the larva is running through its intro animation.
>Shoot at him. Use the flamer if the little bugs get too close.
>>
>>341988312
The bosses in Painkiller were interesting, because they were fuckhuge and had a specific weakness you had to find based on their movement or how they attack.
Frustrating as all fuck but so far they're pretty much the only example I can think of where FPS boss battles felt like actual boss battles.
>>
>>341989972
how the fuck is that a meme? I said the new game had fun bosses. Where the fuck are memes coming into this?
>>
>>341990348
It's a 2016 game anon. You're supposed to hate it.
>>
>Shield Brothers
>The Templar
>Atheon
>Crota
>Warpriest
>Golgoroth
>Oryx
etc
>>
>>341990492
more like it's a sub-par, generic fps game that you should hate for the same reason you hate other sub-par fps games
>>
>>341989341

this fight was still pretty meh

also stupid how it was literally the only cyber demon in the whole game and of course they ruined the design
>>
>>341989972
>nu
>implying d44m is bad
You're in a silent minority, Mr Contrarian.
>>
File: fps_evolution.jpg (118 KB, 250x447) Image search: [Google]
fps_evolution.jpg
118 KB, 250x447
>>341988312
>Why do FPS games have a hard time coming up with good bosses?
probably because they have a hard time being anything but a copy-paste of Doom 1993
>>
File: 1464447711972.png (12 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1464447711972.png
12 KB, 429x410
>>341990492
It truly is sad that we've gotten to the point where we're instantly supposed to hate a game because of the year it was made

Fuck that, that's a sad and limiting way to engage a medium
>>
>>341990720
>you don't like game so you're a contrarian
>>
>>341990748
It's more of gotten to the point where people will play anything and say that it's good, you've been living with shitty games for so long you don't remember the great ones of the past.

New Doom's success is based on normies liking it just because it's a gory fps game, and people like you enjoying it because of stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>341988312
Destiny raid bosses had neat mechanics (Oryx incorporated a jumping problem, Atheon had moments that required you to split your team, restorative mind constantly changed where you could be fighting, etc.)
>>
>>341989358
Agreed on the final bosses. Luckily it makes up for it with the other bosses tho.
>>
>>341989250
I liked the first part where you run towards the pyramid and have to shoot him, but once you get inside it's kind of lame because you don't even need to shoot him
>>
>>341990983
Stockholm Syndrome?

I played it and enjoyed it because it was finally something new

Instead of having a boring military shooter where you track down a terrorist while AI teammates scream into your ear with "callsigns" and "objectives" because the developers were too involved on beating themselves off over the multiplayer, we finally had a game where the story is interesting and well-thought out, and at the same time only there if you want to check it out, and then gives you a shotgun, a chainsaw, and a couple of grenades and says "All of hell is invading. Only you can do anything about it. Good luck." and sends you on your way, which is more fun than any modern shooter has been in the past 5 years
>>
File: Jerichoconcept1.jpg (113 KB, 1147x936) Image search: [Google]
Jerichoconcept1.jpg
113 KB, 1147x936
This bitch and a few others from Jericho. The bosses were pretty well done imo
>>
>>341990720
it's not bad, it's just not good

it does nothing new

plays it too safe

it feels committee designed
>>
FPS games are only made by westerners and westerners are dog shit at making boss fights
>>
But what makes a bossfight fun?

The size? The unique tactics? Special music maybe?
>>
>>341989773
no it makes good sense. bullet sponges aren't fun in any way and that's how FPS bosses are gonna be unless it's some mixed-FPS genre like the new uncharted which has other mechanics than "Press F to ..."
>>
>>341991529

the story in Doom 4 was stupid as shit
the style of the writing didn't help one bit either

would've been better if it wasn't there at all honestly
>>
>>341991689
A good boss needs to truly test your abilities at the game, it needs to be balanced around the weapons and movement of the game, it needs to require a decent tactical variety from the player instead of requiring the same one or two simple actions to be repeated, it needs a lot of moves so it doesn't get stale, it needs a good presentation to make you feel cool when fighting.
>>
>>341989341
wow

that was underwhelming as fuck
>>
>>341990723
>FPS evolution
>starts with doom
>not wolf3D
Oh you kids...
>>
>>341988312
Bosses are a dumb concept.
>>
>>341992032
I know right, so gamey *rolls eyes*
>>
>>341991843
>except for the part where I literally said it's easy to ignore if you choose to do so
>>
>>341992076
Well, it's basically just a big guy that's meant to be a test of all that you've learnt up to that point, but it's almost always a boring slog or too easy and quick. They're not fun.
>>
>>341992163
The problem is that you're playing western games, not that bosses are bad as a concept. Western devs don't know how to design boss fights.
>>
>>341988312
I dunno, Metroid Prime had some pretty decent bosses.
>>
>>341988312
My main problem with the wizard was that he wasn't a big guy at all.

Seriously
>>
>>341989753
The Darkblade fight is really fun
>>
because FPS is mostly western and westerners can't into good, fun gameplay.
>>
>>341988312
All of the Metroid Prime games have some pretty good bosses. Though a couple of 2's were bullshit.
>>
File: 2016-02-13_00029.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-13_00029.jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
>>341988312
while it's not an FPS but instead a TPS, i thought dead space 2 handled bosses fairly well

https://youtu.be/4wQVjgYyB-c?t=88

instead of making it some huge fight with telegraphed attacks, it opted to go for a glorified add-fight with the added risk of an instant-death mechanic; apart from that, the game had some "shoot the shit out of or run away" minibosses and one boss fight entirely comprised of QTEs which was actually fairly enjoyable

though i think the biggest pitfall most of these games fall into is making the bosses outright bullet sponges with only a couple of attacks to dodge before returning to emptying your clips in their face
>>
>>341992867
I thought the final boss was absolutely terrible.
>>
>>341990816
>you try to say something that has received overwhelmingly positive reception from everyone is bad for no reason
Yes, that does make you a contrarian.
>>
>>341991785
What you're saying could only apply to bosses which have like 2 easy attacks and barely move. If a boss is challenging and varied enough you simply won't have the time to be counting bullets because you will be engaged in the actual fight.
>>
>>341992990
really?
i enjoyed it because it put me under an incredible amount of stress, though I can see why people would dislike it, seeing as how it's both fairly short and monotonous

at least it was better than the final boss of the first game
>>
the problem with bosses in FPS games is most of the time they don't give the player nearly enough mobility and options so that a decent boss fight can be designed

you give the player the 3 miraculous abilities to move slow as shit, jump as high as a street curb and shoot and you think you're gonna be able to design any cool enemies around such limitations?

this is exactly the reason that most FPS games focus almost entirely on generic soldier enemies and variations of that
or zombies
>>
>>341989753
Came in here to say this. Destiny overall was and is still a great game, it has its downfalls but, overall very solid.
>>
>>341988312
One thing I've always found lacking in the Serious Sam games were boss fights. It's all either a room full of those goddamn fucking frogs, or a really big version of a normal enemy, or just an enemy that summons other enemies.

At least the music is good
>>
>>341993509
The final boss of BFE was pretty decent though.
>>
>>341993424
That's a shit excuse, even on rails shooters manage to have more fun bosses than most FPS games..
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXS19vQm4pw
Mute it because of commentary

If you're gonna play Breakdown someday though you should probably back out before the 4 minute mark
>>
>>341993635
It was more of a puzzle than anything else.
The only thing that made it stood out was the music and the jetpack.
>>
File: 3358100-tartarus.png (775 KB, 520x800) Image search: [Google]
3358100-tartarus.png
775 KB, 520x800
I don't know of a good one, but I know the halo games have fucking shit ones, and I fucking love the halo games

Regret and Tarturs both suck (tartarus as a character is cool though). Bungie has gone on record that the Cortana mission in 3 was supposed to be a mission long bossfight fighitng against the gravemind in a way, but that mission is ass too. The Elite Field Marshell in Reach was meh

Scarab battles are cool though.
>>
>>341992004
>FPS evolution
>starts with wolf3D
>not Catacomb Abyss
Oh you kids...
>>
File: Sesa_'Refumee_holodrones_H2A.png (1 MB, 1920x815) Image search: [Google]
Sesa_'Refumee_holodrones_H2A.png
1 MB, 1920x815
>>341994927
Oh, wait, forgot about the Heretic leader: His battle is shit too.

It's fun how he looks like an elite is cosplaying a bladerunner character though, and the hologram clones were a neat idea, a shame it was executed so poorly.
>>
>>341993635
That thing goes down in seconds.

The Enhanced mod greatly improves that fight by turning it into an actual battle and giving Ugh-Zan two phases and more attacks.
>>
File: qvake.png (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
qvake.png
13 KB, 400x400
Are there any FPS bossfights that beef you up specifically for the bossfight?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.