[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: IMG_20160619_084004.jpg (2 MB, 2424x1754) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160619_084004.jpg
2 MB, 2424x1754
How come Bethesda Game Studios DLC is better than the games themselves?
>>
>>341984950
>Broken Steel
>Not Point Lookout
I wonder that too, though. Their DLCs often feel like they were made by a team of completely different and actually competent people.
>>
File: chiefpopcorn.png (116 KB, 350x408) Image search: [Google]
chiefpopcorn.png
116 KB, 350x408
I notice a theme with their DLCs too.

Dragonborn, Far Harbor, Shivering Isles and Point Lookout all involve travelling to a mysterious island/remote destination.

I think not only is that premise alone interesting/compelling, but I also think the segregated nature of the DLC allows for more creativity and aiming above the lowest common denominator. I also think they have seperate writing teams.
>>
File: .jpg (643 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
643 KB, 2448x3264
>>341984950
Shorter more sussinct storytelling.
Plus they can take some off the feedback from the base game along.
>>
Genuinely believe there's a different lead writer on these DLCs.
>>
>>341987005
Why don't they take that feedback to the next game too? Literally every time they make a terrible main storyline but then a great DLC storyline then go right back to a garbage main storyline.
>>
>>341987003
Maybe it's the different design philosophy Bethesda uses for DLCs. Their main games are always themepark bullshit but their expansions generally focus on making a more focused experience.
>>
>make extremely mediocre DLCs
>still better than the literally 2/10 garbage games so they get some praise

Bethesda is truly Bioware-tier.
>>
Because it's better to have a smaller focused setting than a big pile of nothing.
>>
>>341987208
Hard to say, I'm guessing they need a main story simple enough that it isn't effected in any meaningfull way by the dozens of side quests you may or may not have done.

There's always the chance that they actually think they are improving but they just end up doing new things wrong.
For example in 4 their trying for a more concise story, but ended up giving the player no feelling of choice.
>>
>Fallout 4 main quest
>plotholes, inconsistencies, black and white decision making, most of it feeling like a revised FO3

>Far Harbor
>given many decisions and choices to make, all determining the outcome at the end and people's dispoisitions towards each other / you

And on the topic of FO4 feeling like a revised FO3...
>FO3
>child finding their father
>helping BoS fix a water purifier to save the wastes
>father dies like a dumbass
>Enclave go boom
>Liberty Prime
>PLO
>mysterious foggy location
>helping find a lost kid
>cultists
>robots
>The Pitt
>Raiders
>helping raiders with raider issues
>basically join the raiders

>FO4
>parent finding their son
>helping some factions take out the institute
>Liberty Prime makes an appearance
>Institute wants to save the wastes
>son can die
>Institute can go boom
>FH
>foggy island ins earch of missing kid
>cultists
>robots
>angry townspeople
>Nuka World
>get to join raiders
>???

FO4 is them redoing FO3 but "better" in their eyes.
>>
>>341988119

>Bethesda
>>
>>341987208
Because the feedback they take for the DLCs are from the more "hardcore" minority audience, and since DLCs are much less high stakes than the full game they incorporate them. When they loop back to their next big release, their design philosophy reverts back to appealing to mass/casual audience in the most streamlined and effective way possible.
>>
>Broken Steel
>Better
I guess you weren't alive when it was released. Also, it was Point Lookout the one that people liked.
>>
>>341989267

Shame their games have been so dumbed down mechanically that not even more "hardcore" oriented DLC can rope me in because the only "hardcore" thing about the game at that point is a "hardcore" storyt hat is more involved and better written placed lightly atop a shallow puddle of piss.
>>
>>341990168

All I remember about Broken Steel was Mutant Overlords soaking up all my ammo, Albino Radscorpions soaking up all my ammo, and never having any fucking ammo. Or Stimpacks.
>>
>>341990254
I played it but was just so tired of 3 that I stopped playing and never looked back. Maybe I'll try point lookout but not today.
>>
>>341990254
The only point of BS was to let you keep playing after finishing the game and adding the option to not be a complete retard and send Fawkes to put the code. Everything else was trash.
>>
>>341984950
because their games are utter shit, not difficult to make something better
>>
If fallout 4 dlc worth it? Thinking about getting it.
>>
>>341984950
How come New Vegas wipes the floor with every Bethesda game?
>>
File: 8cYOxyo.gif (2 MB, 504x1080) Image search: [Google]
8cYOxyo.gif
2 MB, 504x1080
>Wonder why entirely separated plotlines that can be planned from beginning to end and be more complex and well thought out because the outcomes are more contained seem like they're better

golly gee
>>
File: 1373909713896.png (790 KB, 792x792) Image search: [Google]
1373909713896.png
790 KB, 792x792
>We will never get a full Shivering Isles-like TES game

Oblivion was shit but that Addon man
>>
>>341986618
>Point lookout
>good
>competently made

Yeah, because giving the enemies literal cheats by giving them 45 base damage per shot and ignoring ALL of your DR, power armor or not, is competent :^)
>>
File: 1466179362245.jpg (93 KB, 595x708) Image search: [Google]
1466179362245.jpg
93 KB, 595x708
Why is Dragonborn one of Bethesdas best DLCs?
>>
>>341991135

Morrowind nostalgia.

Not trying to be glib. That was 90% of the reason I enjoyed it so much. Just hearing the sound of Silt Striders again sold me on it.
>>
>>341991135
It isn't actually, it was slightly better than the base-game but it was still nowhere near "good"
>>
God I fucking love the cheesy pulp fiction artstyle Bethesda used for Far Harbour's promo art

only good thing to come out of Fallout 4
>>
You also forgot old world blues, though new vegas was overall one of bethesdas lesser quality games.
>>
>>341991259
>Silt Striders are going extinct
RIP
>>
>>341986618
> Point Lookout
> not The Pitt
>>
>>341991418
???
>>
>>341991418
Having replayed New Vegas recently I can safely say Old World Blues is shit. Not writing quality wise, since the writing is great, but it's just not fun to play
>>
>>341991425

Dragonborn DLC was almost about coming to terms with Morrowind, and the design and game design behind it never coming back to Bethesda. It's a DLC about adjustment to bereavement.

It's essentially 4-5 hours of 'hey remember how great Morrowind was? It's gone now.'
>>
>>341991532
have you played fallout 3 recently? point lookout is the only decent/good expansion.
>>
I just killed some spies in Oblivion, how fast can I rush through the main story? I finished all the DLC (which I have never played before, it was fun) and I just want ot move to skyrim so I can play that DLC
>>
>>341991741
Not that guy but Pitt had some quality atmosphere and decent writing. Gameplay was just "shoot the shit out of everything and do arena battles", though.
>>
>>341991602
RIP. Apocrypha is legit one of my favorite places in Elder Scrolls
>>
>>341991875
If you liking going into Oblivion gates don't rush through the main story
>>
>>341984950
As much as I liked Shivering Isles. I wish they did more DLC that engaged in the base game more.

You know. Games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 are really lacking in content in the base game. And instead of making DLC that adds more to that, they instead lock them into a new area you will visit once or twice, do the quests, return the the main game, and never visit again for the rest of the playthrough. I wish instead they added all those monsters, items and quests to the normal world instead. Expand that instead of just make a new instanced location where the vast majority of the new content is contained.

Because it won't make those 50 hours you spend not doing the DLC any better. And that's where it's drastically needed.
>>
>>341992050
I agree. Fallout 4 has a lot of empty space in the south of the map. They could add a lot of content in there
>>
>>341984950
>Broken Steel
>Good
>>
>Nuka World is the last Fallout 4 DLC
Automatron
Wasteland Workshop
Contraptions Workshop
Vault-Tec Workshop
So much mediocrity. At least Far Harbor is passable compared to the vanilla game.
>>
>>341991135
It isn't but it had Morrowind stuff in it so their retarded fanbase ate it up. Dawnguard was better.
>>
>>341984950
far harbor sucked though
>>
>>341992660
>people paid $60 dollars for this
That's pretty bad, even for Bethesda
>>
>>341992660
Of all those I only recognize Automaton and Far Harbor.
>>
>>341991135
That sweet greatsword that shoots laserz
>>
>>341984950
Point Lookout was the best DLC for FO3.
>>
>>341990765

>new Vegas, made my competent people

>Bethesda, run by Todd "buy my game or feel the pain" Howard

I dunno
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (161 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
161 KB, 1280x720
>>341984950
They take Emil Pagliarulo (the great satan) off writing duties to work on the next game.

Everything Emil touches turns to shit.

Reminder Todd did NOTHING wrong.
>>
>>341984950
They are all trash never falling for the meme again after FO4 thank god I pirated it first.
>>
>>341995976
Go to work on that "tech" you promised for TES6, Todd
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.