[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be ex-westwood employees that created RA2 and Yuri's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11
File: turtlerockstudios.jpg (40 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
turtlerockstudios.jpg
40 KB, 650x366
>be ex-westwood employees that created RA2 and Yuri's revenge
>Leave westwood/EA to start your own studio. Turtle Rock
>Join up with valve to create the advance bots for counter-strike and remaking highly detailed maps for counter-strike: source.
>Create a prototype for Left4dead.
>Valve takes notice and offers to help Turtle Rock.
>Valve offers little to no assistance with the prototype; Valve has poor communication with Turtle Rock.
>Turtle Rock finishes product Left 4 dead, but valve decides that the characters are too gritty and decides to make them more mainstream.
>Valve forcibly buys their studio "Turtle rock"
>Valve releases Left 4 dead
>Valve fires all everyone at Tutle Rock and steal their game; taking all the credit.
>The people at Turtle Rock take Valve to court.
>The only thing they get is the name of the studio, while Valve gets the right to left 4 dead.
>A few months later Valve releases a half-ass sequel to Left 4 dead.

Why do people love Valve?
>>
They would've become corrupt regardless of Valve's influence.

See "Evolve".
>>
>>341973665
Evolve was great. It was the DLC that ruined it
>>
>>341972654
8 years ago they would have my sympathies.
But thankfully I made positive political developments recently, so all I can say about them is now

>lel cucks
>>
>>341974716
lol
>>
>>341974716

100% of Evolve was DLC though.
>>
File: BBB rating.png (36 KB, 631x285) Image search: [Google]
BBB rating.png
36 KB, 631x285
>>341972654
I think the love is fading, especially since they stopped making games
>>
>Valve forcibly buys their studio "Turtle rock"
>Valve releases Left 4 dead
>Valve fires all everyone at Tutle Rock and steal their game; taking all the credit.

...soooo, Valve steals Valve's game? After firing some lollygagging neckbeards without work ethic or business sense?
>>
didnt this same kind of thing happen with Blizzard and Blizzard North?
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 240x311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 240x311
>>341974716
>>
File: 1456865324141.jpg (57 KB, 706x655) Image search: [Google]
1456865324141.jpg
57 KB, 706x655
>>341972654
>forcibly buys
>>
>publishers are evil
What else is new?
>>
File: 1435095431441.gif (143 KB, 300x420) Image search: [Google]
1435095431441.gif
143 KB, 300x420
>>341972654
>turtle rock employee disgruntled about being unemployable after the combination left4dead/Evolve fuck ups
>>
>>341974716
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4RwGwQslM
>>
>>341976425
It's still a dick move. Have someone make a game just to have them fired once it's completed. It also happened with the creators of Counter-Strike and Portal.
>>
>>341977486
Then don't fucking sell it.

Once you sell something, it's no longer yours.
>>
>>341976425
>without work ethic
Funny you mention it, as one of the friction, Turtle Rock, aka "Valve South" had with Valve was "Valve Time".
I'm not siding with TR here, though. Valve was way infamous for that before they blanded together. They should've known what they get themselves into.
>>
>>341972654
If they are good at releasing RTS titles, then they should fucking release RTS titles!
>>
>>341972654
>A few months later Valve releases a half-ass sequel to Left 4 dead.
How exactly is it half assed? It added new characters, new campaigns, new zombies, new weapons, new game modes, it even has L4D1's campaigns in it, what more could you want?
>>
File: Troika_Games_logo[1].png (36 KB, 243x300) Image search: [Google]
Troika_Games_logo[1].png
36 KB, 243x300
>be ex Interplay employees that created Fallout and Arcanum
>leave Interplay to start your own studio. Troika
>spend a huge portion of the companies return from their previous work licensing the next-gen Source Engine from Valve
>Valve gives them a build of source from 1999 and pretends it's a 2002 build
>Valve refuses to provide any documentation or respond to their queries on engine functionality (anyone who has worked with Valve knows they treat business partners the same way they treat people who use steam support), takes Valve a fucking year after the sale to even give the devs the broken level editor that they paid for
>Valve refuses to allow Troika to launch VTMB before HL2 despite knowing their contract with Activision had stated they needed a xmas 2003 release from the minute Troika licensed the engine
>Valve blatantly violates their contract with Troika by finally providing troika with a 2001 version of Source in 2003 to replace the 1999 version given to them in 2002
>this is speculated to be a result of paranoia from the HL2 leak
>refuses to give them the current build of Source until HL2 releases despite Troika planning to release VTMB on the same fucking day
>Troika is unable to negotiate pushing back the release date a second time because of their notoriously shitty publisher
>Troika spends 6 months sitting with their dicks in their hands not being able to develop or bug test the game on an old engine
>Troika finally gets valve to give them a near-current build of source on the same day the game goes gold
>Troika has about 12 hours to port the game to the new engine and attempt to bug test it
>to add the ultimate insult to injury, on the DAY Half-Life 2 releases, Valve quietly changes their mind about publishing VTMB on Steam, the only way the devs could get a day 1 patch out to people that bought the fucking game
>game is a fucking disaster, literally impossible to complete as certain classes because of crashes
Why do people love Valve?
>>
>>341979054
>Valve blatantly violates their contract with Troika by finally providing troika with a 2001 version of Source in 2003 to replace the 1999 version given to them in 2002
you know the funniest fucking thing about this is that valve only gave them the slightly updated source build because the hl2 leak gave them evidence to threaten legal action for giving them a dressed up goldsource and pretending it was source, and valve STILL jewed them with an out of date version
>>
File: mysterious merchants.jpg (81 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
mysterious merchants.jpg
81 KB, 620x413
>>341979054
>>341979378
*rubs hands*
>>
>>341976424
>http://www.bbb.org/alaskaoregonwesternwashington/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/valve-corporation-in-bellevue-wa-27030704/
>Factors that lowered the rating for Valve Corporation include:
>863 complaint(s) filed against business
>Failure to respond to 768 complaint(s) filed against business
>6 complaint(s) filed against business that were not resolved
>Business has failed to resolve underlying cause(s) of a pattern of complaints
>On June 25, 2013, BBB recognized a pattern of complaints from consumers regarding product, service and customer service issues. Consumers allege the games they purchase from Valve Corporation or Steam malfunction, do not work or have an invalid CD key. Consumers also claim the company blocks users from accessing their library of games. Consumers further allege they attempt to contact the company for assistance, but Valve Corporation fails to correct the gaming issues, does not correct credit card charges or issue a refund, or does not respond at all.

>On July 1, 2013, BBB notified the company of the complaint pattern. To date, the company has not responded to BBB's request to address the pattern.

classic valve
>>
>>341976518
Blizzard North was to do nothing but store the servers for Diablo 2. After the expansion there was no more content or balance patching planned.

Then Bnet was to undergo a huge overhaul and include Diablo 2 into their servers, making all of Blizzard North obsolete. Since Blizzard North wasn't doing anything (diablo 3 would not be made until 10 years later) they just closed the studio, inviting the devs to either leave or move to California.

Seeing as the remaining devs went on to make fucking masterpieces like Guild Wars 2 it really was for the best
>>
>>341979054
Damn. Fuck Valve
>>
>>341979054
Troika was on the way replacing Valve as the most beloved company.
With Fallout and Arcanum in their repertoire, VtMB was granted to become a cult classic. If they had the chance to finish their game, they could overshadow HL2.

This was frankly not allowed to happen.
>>
>>341980523
Yeah, it's blatantly obvious that the sole reason Valve did what they did was to kill a competitor in the most underhanded way possible.
Hitler was right about absolutely everything.
>>
>>341979054
You have to be kidding me. Do you have the source?
>>
>>341979054
>>341980523
Did Valve gimp Dark Messiah too?
>>
>>341981730
Probably not, Development on that started just before HL2 released and as hard as it is to believe, Ubisoft was actually a decent publisher back then.
This was also when Valve was desperately trying to get small/indie devs to use Source so they were probably given proper documentation and a real build of the engine.
>>341980523
>>341980823
said, at the time Troika was made up of rockstar developers with a proven track record of quality that could actually compete with Valve, they were the only real threat in the market and valve decided to go with the semitic way of solving the problem
>>
>>341979054
>>to add the ultimate insult to injury, on the DAY Half-Life 2 releases, Valve quietly changes their mind about publishing VTMB on Steam, the only way the devs could get a day 1 patch out to people that bought the fucking game
As far as I remember, this was actually Activision changing their mind about the Steam release, not Valve. The real dick move was neither Activision nor Valve decided they needed to tell Troika about that little fact.
Everything else is spot on, though
>>
>>341972654
who?
cares?
>>
>>341976424
>>341979965
You guys realize that that site asks businesses to give them money or else they rate them as being terrible businesses, right?
>>
>>341983417
>the BBB is extortionist
are you a european who doesn't even know what the BBB is or are you just a shill
>>
>>341983417
so how come Valve couldn't pay them off then?
>>
>>341983417
But that's wrong you fucking retard.
>>
File: Naughty God.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
Naughty God.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1456
>>341979054
>no sources whatsoever
>lying
>starting meme arrow wall with "be"
okay
>>
>>341983651
Who the fuck is going to care about some no-name website's rating of Valve when people only care about the service it provides? Hundreds of millions of people use google for searching every day several times a day and that's even if they know that google's watching them like a hawk both on and off its website.
>>
>>341983903
you know nothing.
file a legitimate complaint against any good, reputable business on the BBB and that business will bend over backwards to resolve it for you
>>
>>341983724
looks like the valve shills are awake
>>341983903
>BBB
>some no-name website
okay you do realize the BBB is an extremely well known agency in America that's federally funded and complaints filed to the BBB are commonly admitted as evidence in class action lawsuits, right?
>>
>be the last group of real Westwood leaving EA
>brings Frankie K with them
>just make games and doesn't give a fuck

LAUGHING
ALL
THE
WAY
>>
File: pydNQ[1].png (24 KB, 455x501) Image search: [Google]
pydNQ[1].png
24 KB, 455x501
>>341984285
shame that none of those games are good
>>
>That valve refund policy
>technically illegal in Australia
>might have to go to Sydney to give evidence against them in the high court in a few weeks
>because they wouldn't refund Attila Total War

kek
>>
>tfw Left 4 Dead was the first time you regret getting hyped for a game.
>tfw after that you regret getting hyped each time
>tfw Valve literally killed video games for you.
>>
>>341984851
good luck, dude
>>
>>341985470
Not really my thing, the government is suing them or something for breaking our laws. Valve recently lost a suit where they contended they weren't actually doing business in Australia and thus should not be subject to our laws. After losing it they still refused to give me back my $10~ and apparently the ACCC somehow found out they were continuing their policy of not refunding cunts, I guess the complaints are still rolling in.
>>
>>341985904
Yeah I read some transcripts of that case, it was great
>case argues steam mislead customers about their rights
>steam support: your rights dont apply to this
>customer: yes they fucking do here's evidence
>steam support: ticket closed fuck off
>valve:well the customer totally knew his rights and proved that in the ticket so we didnt mislead anyone :^)

their case was a fucking disaster, i guess thats what happens when you use in-house lawyers instead of real lawyers
>>
>>341986615
That sounds like my exact support ticket, where did you read this?
>>
Valve and Steam will be brought down to its knees in your lifetime.
Valvedrones on suicide watch.
Can you imagine this glorious day, /v/?
>>
>>341987156
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2778501/20160324-NSD886-14-ACCC-v-Valve-No-3-Judgment.pdf
page 79
valve is a fucking joke if they thought this shit was gonna fly
>>
>>341987918
i love how every steam support ticket is the same
if you keep pressing the issue they'll just ban your account too
i've been permanently community banned from steam before for reopening tickets stating that the trade laws in my country trump the rights of their stupid fucking EULA, I wasn't even rude to half-justify it
>>
>>341987918
Nah not me, these guys are a bit more polite than I was. Preeeeeetty sure I called valve retarded in mine when they refused.

Still, thanks for that, I'll give it a read tomorrow.
>>
>>341972654
>they go on to make Evolve
>$250 worth of DLC
>no content
there's a reason Valve fired them. And I'm glad they did. Fuck those retards.
>>
>>341987918
>Support Tech Byron: The regulations you are citing do not apply to digital distribution subscriptions, electronic games, or downloadable content

>Customer: http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/content/the_acl/downloads/consumer_guarantees_g
uide.pdf
>“Which goods are covered?
>Goods are covered by the consumer guarantees as long as they are sold in trade or commerce and bought by a consumer”.
>So the law DOES apply to digital goods (including electronic games).
>“Signs and statements that limit, or seem to limit, consumers’ rights are unlawful - including ‘no refund’ signs."

>Support Tech Byron
>Hello Byron
>Unfortunately, we will be unable to assist you further with this issue.Thank you for contacting Steam Support.
>>
>>341988970
NOW HERES THE FUCKING KICKER

In relation to Mr Miles, the first statement by the Steam Support representative would have been misleading to any reasonable consumer. It was that “we do not offer refunds or
exchanges for purchases made on our website or through the Steam Client”, and later involved a reference to cl 3 of the SSA which also contained a misleading representation to this effect. Mr Miles was not misled. He responded by saying that he knew “there are laws regarding this sort of thing: at the very least I consider it unethical (both on the part of the developer / publisher and steam) and would greatly appreciate a refund in this particular instance”. And when the Steam Support representative replied, falsely, that the “regulations you are citing do not apply to digital distribution subscriptions, electronic games, or downloadable content”, Mr Miles did not accept that statement. He replied, in his second response, with a summary of his rights which would have been an admirable submission by a lawyer in this litigation. None of Mr Phillips, Mr Miller or Mr Miles was misled or (when the chats are read as a whole) was likely to be misled, by any statement that they were not entitled to a refund where the computer games were not of acceptable quality, or that statutory guarantees did not apply or that they needed to have recourse to a developer first or could not use the goods if they wanted a refund.

>he didnt believe the bullshit we lied about so we didnt legally mislead him :^))))))))
holy fuck i hope kikes like these hang from trees when trump wins
>>
This reminds me of Blizzard North situation
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1[1].jpg (124 KB, 688x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u1[1].jpg
124 KB, 688x800
>>341989074
>he didnt believe the bullshit we lied about so we didnt legally mislead him :^))))))))
Did a multi billion dollar company actually rely on this as their defense in a major lawsuit against them?
Did two dozen extremely well paid lawyers get together in a board room every day for weeks on end and this is what they came up with?
>>
>>341979054
VTMB is a shit game tho
>>
>>341976001
>>341976204
>>341976813
Literally children.
>>
>>341978595
all of this could have been added to the first game. Remember when they promised they would release more content for the first game? They just wanted to charge you full price for it.

left4dead 1 had its flaws but they would have been fixed if the spitter and charger were added to the game.

l4d2 was then advertised and targeted to casuals instead of the competitive versus mode players.

they added gimmick items that were in fact overpowered as hell. Adrenaline, Defibrillators, the chainsaw. They had to patch out explosive ammo from versus because people were complaining too much.

Plus, the campaigns were shit. Only Dark Carnival (except the finale) and maybe Dead Center were good. You want an example of a horribly designed map? Play the Parish.
>>
>>341972654
You have no idea what you're talking. Left 4 Dead was always a Valve product, it was their IP. It was being funded by Valve. They had less than 10 people at Turtle Rock at the time, so Valve sent some of their best developers to help with the development.
>>
>>341990270
>Left 4 Dead was always a Valve product
wrong
>it was their IP
wrong
>It was being funded by Valve
wrong
>They had less than 10 people at Turtle Rock at the time
wrong
>wrong so Valve sent some of their best developers to help with the development.
wrong

whats it like being a little valve toelicker ?___?
how does it feel to delusionally defend a faceless corporation to the point of borderline schizophrenia
>>
>>341977486
are you retarded? portal developers are still at valve. Jeep Barnett (aka personguy), Dave Kircher. Jess Cliffe (CS) is also very active at Valve.
>>
>>341990270
Left 4 Dead was just a shitty rip off of a HL2 mod whose name escapes me. Zombie Panic or some shit.
>>
>>341990549
>>341990270
>m-maybe if i split my post up into multiple posts it wont be obvious how much of a delusional and pathetic valve shill i am
wrong, and good job listing a literal nobody voice actor for CS, really proves your point when the other guy who modeled everything, programmed everything, textured everything and designed everything doesnt work at valve
>>
>>341975894
how low 4chan and /v/ have fallen
>>
>>341979054
I don't know what you're trying to accomplish by spreading lies. one can just google tim cain's comments about valve/and their relationship on rpg-codex. they got fucked over by activision. end of story.
>>
>>341990480
>im going to say he's wrong hoping nobody else does even the slightest bit of google searching. The important thing is to say he is wrong, even though he is right. I also cannot show or prove that he is wrong because any effort whatsoever to fact check will ruin my argument, luckily, nobody will check so i am in the clear.
>>
>>341990480
uh, these are the "facts". you can google game-informer interview with chris ashton where he talks about the history of the studio. no speculation, no bullshit, just the facts.
>>
>>341991175
>>341991271
>07:17:41
>07:18:52
are you even trying
>>
>>341990925
he said they fired the original cs developers. the original team had only two members: minh lee, and jess cliffe. minh lee left valve after CS2 didn't work out. he wanted to do his own thing. there were a couple of mappers (not part of the team) like chris ashton, ido magal, etc. some of them were hired by valve.
>>
>>341991645
why are you referring to yourself in third person senpai
>>
>>341979054
Tim Cain: No, we weren’t really angry with Valve. They made their deal with Activision, and part of that deal was that any Source-based game had to be shipped after their Half-Life 2. Valve had the luxury of pushing out their ship date repeatedly—and they did—to ensure that their game was great. We were hoping for the same luxury, but Activision didn’t grant it. Now Activision, on the other hand, did get a bit of our ire. When we discovered that we could not ship before Valve, we never imagined that Activision would ship Vampire on the same day as Half-Life 2. For several reasons, a much better idea would have been to ship Vampire a couple of months later. It would have given us time to polish our game with a stable engine. It would have given the consumer something else to buy that used the Source engine after Half-Life 2. And a later release would also not have put us in direct competition for consumer dollars during our important first few weeks on store shelves, because we all knew that consumers were going to choose Half-Life 2 over Vampire. And, really, was the cost of a few more months of development really that much more than the years we had already spent on the game? No, I may not be a businessman, but that seemed like a bad choice on Activision’s part.
>>
>>341992143
>implying you're allowed to shit on a company like valve without an industry blacklist
literally stop posting
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.