[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't /v/ talking about this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 17
File: dyperlightshitterjk.jpg (19 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
dyperlightshitterjk.jpg
19 KB, 480x270
Why isn't /v/ talking about this?
>>
>>341966714
because there's not that much replay value and it was an 8/10 at best and it came out like two months ago
>>
>>341966714
>special thanks to Phil Fish and Anita Sarkeesian
>>
>>341967385

What, is that in the credits? Either way, who cares?
>>
>>341966714
The dev got butthurt and started spewing SJW nonsense on his twitter, so we had about 50 shitposting threads and then abandoned it entirely.
>>
>>341967385
Charles Dickens was schizophrenic and abused his wife. Oh no, you can no longer enjoy his novels!
>>
It's fucking shit.
>>
File: Untitled.png (164 KB, 250x255) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
164 KB, 250x255
2 short
>>
>>341967536
>retards in the credits
>this affects game quality
>>
Short
Ugly as fuck graphics
Lacks features
Core gameplay is good
Dunno what the fuck else is there to discuss, the game is over in 6 hours and has no replayability at all
>>
>>341967952

Wait, so I've been collecting the extra shit the last 12 hours in hopes that the first time I beat the game, that was the shitty ending. Please tell me there is more than one ending.
>>
>>341968102
There is only one.
>>
more importantly, is the source code to be found somewhere?
>>
>>341967952
The core gameplay is fucking shit though.

>30 fps in ACTION GAME
>Input lag out of the ass
>Dashing etc is all timed
>Dropped inputs galore

Trash, absolute garbage.
>>
>>341968176

That has to be a lie. What happens when you activate all of the ominous tablets scattered throughout the map? Please tell me there is another ending, desu the final part of the game was a bit disappointing.
>>
>>341968267
>The core gameplay is fucking shit though.
funny how you say that and not name anything shit about the gameplay and everything shit about the framerate
>>
soundtrack was dope
>>
>>341968102
I had the exact same expectations as you, I was really hoping there would be a second ending but there just isn't. Don't bully me but I think I expected it because Undertale delivered on the secret ending route, if you can even call it that when all of its fans spoil the hell out of it by telling everyone how to play true pacifist first
>>
>>341968324
It's an ACTION GAME that is also very much reliant on DASHING and CHAINDASHING which is TIMED but because of DROPPED INPUTS, 30 FPS AND INPUT LAG, it becomes unbearable.

I hope this is simple enough for your small mind.
>>
>>341968484
you're still complaining about framerate and not gameplay

actually go into the mechanics and explain what's bad about them, the level design etc. if you say that the gameplay is shit
>>
>>341968570
Not him but I really fucking hated the way combat worked, it felt like it wasn't even meant to be part of the game, flow was all wrong with you dashing, completely stopping before hitting somebody
>>
>>341968570
I know you want to sound like a intellectual but
>Framerate, mobility, and controls aren't core assets of the game.
>Levels are.

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>341967385
this
>>
>game seems like its in development for 20 years
>finally comes out
>its like 2 hours long and all the backer milestone content doesn't get put in
>dev is an SJW now as well
this is why no one talks about it
>>
File: 1439373110891.png (448 KB, 633x480) Image search: [Google]
1439373110891.png
448 KB, 633x480
>>341968570
Are you retarded?

How can you be this fucking dense?

There are priorities in games you fucking goof, who cares if a game has ABSOLUTELY GODLIKE MECHANICS BRO if it crashes to desktop every third second, freezes constantly and refuses to acknowledge inputs?

It's especially annoying in Drifter because the bad shit directly hampers gameplay as it is reliant on timed inputs and fast action.
>>
>>341966714
Played it and liked it, now why the fuck does it need to update constantly?
>>
>>341968854
I'm talking about you using the word gameplay wrong

you say the gameplay is shit and then complain about the framerate issues which isn't the core part of the gameplay

actually criticise the gameplay mechanics and so on if you want to complain about the gameplay

>>341969003
you completely missed the point

he said the gameplay is shit then listed aspects of why the framerate is shit

I'm just splitting hairs here but I'd actually like to hear why he thinks the gameplay (not the framerate) is shit before I consider buying the game
>>
File: 1434701250568.gif (108 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1434701250568.gif
108 KB, 500x375
>>341969114
THE GAMEPLAY IS GARBAGE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PLAY IT THE 'INTENDED' WAY AS THE AFOREMENTIONED PROBLEMS MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE.

Nice job, you got me with your
>Durr hurr just pretending haha
act.
>>
>>341968207
I keep seeing you people nowadays, asking around for source code.
>>
>>341969114

You don't have the game? Oh-pee here, the gameplay is a mix of Dark Souls and LoZ. You get punished for getting hit, but it also gives you invincibility frames, like LoZ. Typical action adventure LoZ akin to LttP, with the timing, and ominous story of Dark Souls.
>>
>>341968267
George is that you? Fuck off and git gud
>>
Can we talk about the bizarre gameplay ? I think this game has one of the most retarded fights. Often there are group of 4 or more enemies and you have to dodge every 0.3 seconds like a retard just to not die within 3 seconds. What were the developers thinking ? they should have gone with the dark souls approach: less enemies but stronger ones. Not 5 enemies in a fight because then there is no real pattern to fight those enemies...
>>
>>341967645
I actually can't enjoy something made by racist.

That is to say, if I KNOW they are racist. I have to avoid learning anything in detail about most historical figures who did the arts because if I learned they were pieces of shit to blacks I can't enjoy whatever it is they created anymore, unless it is the top .01% of art created in history.
>>
>>341969437
Bet you can't even read Lovecraft now
>>
File: 1453269295107.jpg (282 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1453269295107.jpg
282 KB, 800x800
>>341969374
I beat the game in four hours man, it's not a hard game at all, most of my time was spent looking for some obscure fucking fragment as my map bugged out and copied three markers next to each other.

It was just a fucking chore to play, I would've dropped it but luckily it was only a short suffering.
>>
>>341969114
Framerate is directly tied to gameplay and dictates how many times things are happening per frame.

The gameplay in Quake is not the same at 1 fps as it is at 60. You can literally say the gameplay of something is shit because the framerate is awful because the frame rate being awful can make the mechanics irrelevant.

Also, just a by the way, you are arguing gameplay is simply mechanics. Mechanics are part of gameplay, but gameplay is the overall.
>>
>>341969254
you keep screaming about the framerate

if the game was 60fps the gameplay would still be the same

now tell me why you think the GAMEPLAY is shit, I'm talking about the DESIGN here not the FRAMERATE

>>341969305
well the game might be flawed but it's still a bunch of work in gamemaker to get a thing like this done

no reason not to learn a thing or two from the code for your own stuff

>>341969317
yeah I've seen footage of it before, figured it would be very LoZ

>>341969378
thank you finally someone who isn't foaming at the mouth about framerate and actually has a decent point to make
>>
>>341969378

Oh Pee again. But you get the tools necessary to deal with these situations, if you're clever enough. Dark Souls also suffers from this also. There are many occasions when you are severely outnumbered and no amount of skill can overcome it, sometimes you have to throw some fire bombs, or in this case, energy grenades, and just brute force your way through.
>>
>>341967709
>>341967709
how short?
>>
>>341969437
Man, you have some serious issues.

Gandhi saw blacks as a lesser race as well, you know.
>>
>>341969493
God fucking damnit. Well thanks for that.
>>
>>341969437
You may have a mental illness.
>>
File: memer.gif (18 KB, 269x493) Image search: [Google]
memer.gif
18 KB, 269x493
>>341969493
nice one
>>
>>341969625
And Gandhi is a fucking retard who sucked British cock all day and heavily delayed Indian independence.

I would view Blacks as a lesser race too if the entire point of my existence was to serve the British going so far as to send soldiers to die for them while politely asking to be free.
>>
>>341969114
>I haven't played or previewed the game

Then why the fuck are you defending it?
The framerate and input response is integral to the very design due to the fact the gameplay revolves around twitch reaction and game design around your mobility.

This is like trying to argue badly compressed music that doesn't sync with the notes at all isn't a core flaw of a rhythm game.
>>
>>341969592
Let me break it down for you:

>Gameplay
>The play of the game
>Aka: How the game plays
>The game plays like shit because the game doesn't work properly
>Thus the gameplay is shit

Is this simple enough? Should I just start speaking Somalian for you? Saakay gabi ahaanba waa shire unba bunga dunga etc etc.
>>
>>341969604
average playthrough is about 7 hours, add another 5 for NG+
it has a shitload of useless collectibles and hidden garbage for people who are into that kind of stuff, but it doesn't do anything special so its worthless.
>>
>>341969679
How so?
>>
>>341969768
And look at them now with dependence
>>
>>341969768
Yeah he was retarded, I just think it's a nice way to annoy normies that think he's a saint or something because muh media.

Anyway, irrational hatred of racism is a pretty recent trend, disliking an authors works because of the way you judge his character using the values of today instead of his time is just plain retarded.
>>
>>341969592
Framerate is tied to gameplay you retard.

If the game runs at 60 hertz and gives you a 1 frame window to react to something, if you then cut the frame rate in half that would mean you could only react to that thing half the time, assuming it doesn't ALWAYS happen on the dropped frame and has equal chance to happen on either.

Now you explain to me how that is not effecting fucking gameplay.
>>
>>341969779
>Then why the fuck are you defending it?
why the fuck do you think I'm defending it, you just got triggered by someone actually asking you to voice a coherent opinion

again, if the game was 60fps yes it would be more responsive
but the core gameplay mechanics remain the exact same, the design behind them doesn't change at all, you're arguing shitty optimization here not the actual gameplay

>>341969827
see above
>>
>>341969974
I can't believe you're this autistic, you know that developers pay a lot of attention to responsiveness in gameplay? What do you think is one of the main points, hmm?

Just end your life already, you're a waste of space.
>>
>>341969940
Are you saying everything he did is fine because eventually it worked out, when it would have worked out better without him?

>>341969963
It's not irrational, I am black. I don't see why I have to appreciate a bunch of people who literally thought my peoples were property and too stupid to ever function properly as a society.

Obviously science advanced by people like this is just knowledge discovered, so it's irrelevant, but I don't have to appreciate anything else people like that did.
>>
File: d.jpg (174 KB, 466x752) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
174 KB, 466x752
>>
>>341969974
Responsiveness is a core mechanic to action games. It's like you are saying if the game had input lag it's still the same game even though everything about your playing experienced changed.
>>
>>341970132
Finally someone posted it
>>
>>341970131
>My peoples

Man, you fellas were banging rocks while everyone else had their shit together, just give it a rest now or you'll be screaming WE WUZ KANGS for the rest of your life.

No one else really gives a shit these days, all you're doing is enabling some BLACK LIVES MATTER bullshit.
>>
>tumblr pixel """game""" whose creators thank the twitterati in its credits
HET
>>
>>341966714

We already did.

It was good.
>>
>>341970131
WE
>>
>>341969972
jesus you people don't know shit

the game is more responsive in 60fps of course, everyone knows that

the design of the game doesn't change though, it's still the same exact game with the same exact gameplay mechanics with the same exact design!

they're less responsive in 30fps but if that's the only issue you guys have with the game then the actual gameplay mechanics and design must be pretty good if you don't have anything negative to say about them

>>341970095
resonsiveness =/= core gameplay

tell me about the game's design, not the framerate you idiot

>>341970202
>Responsiveness is a core mechanic
it's not, responsiveness is a "gamefeel" thing, it's not something you directly impact as a player, it's a consequence of higher framerate

it's a good thing to have but I'm asking why the GAMEPLAY is shit and all you guys are telling me is an abstract "it just doesn't feel right"

no, that doesn't tell me shit about the game, talk to me about the actual gameplay, how is combat designed, how are enemy mechanics designed how are bosses designed etc.

unless of course bandwagoning about 30fps is all you guys are capable of and don't actually have any points to make about the game beyond that
>>
>>341970131
>worked out fine
I wasn't implying that. Look at them now man, how's independence treating them.

Nigger, get over it. It's of the time, best thing is to get over how they viewed things, compared to most fucks they don't tend to force their views in most of their books. I would be offended with Lovecrafts notable evolution of niggers but I still read his books. May not be good people, but I will try to push past that in most cases especially if they are notable or good.
You browse here for godsake.
>>
File: 1424159994597.png (187 KB, 272x348) Image search: [Google]
1424159994597.png
187 KB, 272x348
>>341970458
>Gamefeel

Show's over folks, this guy is a proven retard.

Better just ignore the baiter.
>>
>>341970541
notice how I put it in ""?
because it's a retarded term but you guys don't seem to function on any basis other than buzzwords
>>
>>341970329
>Man, you fellas were banging rocks while everyone else had their shit together

Which is why one continent went around the entire world and took over literally everything?

The entirety of North and South America, Asia including China, Philippines, Vietnam etc and pretty much everywhere but Europe was taken over because Europeans had a head start. I don't see how that is only blacks not "having their shit together," not to mention actual advancements were being made if you actually study some African history with figures like Shaka Zulu.

It doesn't matter though. Most of Africa will be shit for at least the next 50 years. It just needs more figures like Paul Kagame and lead the fucking retards bred into the country through stupid conflicts and to stop depending on westerners to solve it's problems.

>all you're doing is enabling some BLACK LIVES MATTER bullshit

I don't see how. I'm not starting some movement and don't even think people have to feel the same way I feel. It's a personal thing. I can't separate the artist from the work. I can't even watch Miyazaki films anymore without having meta conversations with myself the entire time about if I agree or disagree with most of the things he says.
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>341969493
>>
>>341969974
>someone actually asking you to voice a coherent opinion

You're genuinely retarded if you can't understand you don't deserve a "coherent opinion", when you have shown no coherent argument for your own statements.

You're the only one saying visual to physical synchronization has nothing to do with the gameplay, when the very definition of a video game is a electronic game that relies on visual feedback.
>>
>>341970458
Answer me you piece of shit. How is it the exact same game if something only happens 1/60 ticks but you are only shown 30 and have to input on a frame that doesn't exist.

How is the core game the same if things fundamentally are not being shown. This is a very relevant question because we are not talking about RPG's, we are talking about action games which often times have 1 frame inputs on a 60 hertz counter. Halving that literally makes the game twice as lineant and therefore the input because fundamentally easier, enabling you to do more as a player, changing the core game.
>>
>>341970458
Responsiveness IS gameplay. If a game has input delay, that affects the way you play. Not fucking hard to understand.
>>
>>341970773
You're literally triggering yourself mate.

Also colonization is the best thing that could've happened to the places colonized.

Just look at shit like Rhodesia, I mean, uh, Zimbabwe, if you want a good example of African ingenuity.
>>
>>341970465
India is on the path to becoming one of the worlds largest and best economies. I don't see how that is treating them poorly. When you look at things objectively and not with a meme centric "poo in the loo" or "nig nog blabla" viewpoint what's actually happening in the world is a lot different than stereotypes will let on.

> but I will try to push past that in most cases especially if they are notable or good.

Like I said, it has to be insanely good for me to do this which is why I just take the easier route and don't look much into it. It's not that I actively want to do it anyway, because ultimately it doesn't matter, they are dead. It's just what my mind does automatically.
>>
>>341970868
>when you have shown no coherent argument
you see you think I'm arguing anything here when I'm just trying to make you tell me why you think the gameplay is shit

I don't know anything about the game aside from being 30fps

I know 30fps makes a game less responsive, I know that it has impacts on gameplay, you're running in circles

bloodborne runs at 30fps and is a fast paced action game
is the gameplay shit as a result? No.
now why is that? Because the gameplay is well designed.

THIS is what I'm asking about

>>341970908
I'll just copy paste this
>bloodborne runs at 30fps and is a fast paced action game
>is the gameplay shit as a result? No.
>now why is that? Because the gameplay is well designed.

>>341970914
both of these are not gameplay, they're part of optimization
I'll copypaste this for you aswell

>bloodborne runs at 30fps and is a fast paced action game
>is the gameplay shit as a result? No.
>now why is that? Because the gameplay is well designed.
>>
>>341970131
Learn to seperate the artist from the art.There's a bunch of faggots who's views I don't agree with, but I look past it.
>>
>>341970919
>Also colonization is the best thing that could've happened to the places colonized

No it isn't. First off, not every African country is the same. Some are worse and better than others and they are full of different people and culture. Africa is very diverse.

Did you know that Ethopians, who often have more middle eastern or Indian looking features shit post online about west Africans looking like monkey's, while the west Africans make fun of them back for looking like scarecrows and both make fun of more Southern Africans for being as dark as midnight?

It's not just one big lump and some countries are actually doing rather well and are not bad. The worst problem in civilized African nations right now is Islamic terrorism, which is literally a result of continued colonialism.

That being said, I'm not saying "Most African countries would be a super advance paradise right now if not for white people!" It would probably be backwards and shitty, but it would be progressing like it should be normally towards reasonable societies.

Problem is in some places you gave people on the tribal level of society still a bunch of guns when they should of been throwing sticks at each other and they are still trying to come back from that, because the culture needed for a "proper" society doesn't exist.

And again, Africa is a big diverse place, so some places do have those things and are actually doing relatively well right now considering and moving towards being decent places to live (and I'm not just talking about South Africa)
>>
How the shit did this conversation get derailed into an argument over Race and now discussing Indian economics. I just made the thread because I'm wondering if people were as captivated, albeit breifly, as I was by the game. Nothing more, nothing less.

You want my opinion on the gameplay? I was frustrated many times with dropped inputs and the memory leak, but I carried on and got through the game anyways. I'm kind of glad it ran like shit, because nowadays with games like dark souls, and methlike twitch reflexes aquired from decades of grinding first person shooters, the game would have been too easy. I cut it some slack though because I loved the way they presented the story and game world.
>>
>>341971260
During this conversation I was actually thinking of Bloodborne and that's fucking wrong.

Any time, especially during the DLC, I summon friends the frame rate drops and is unresponsive and the game becomes impossible to play.

>Frame rate becomes low
>Game is unplayable
>THE CORE GAME IS STILL GOOD EVEN THOUGH AT IT'S CORE IT'S UNPLAYABLE BECAUSE THE FRAME RATE
>>
>>341971402
I can with most things. I mean that's the only reason why I can play the titular game of the thread.

>Special thanks too
>>
>>341971260
Man, you're a fucking buffoon, but this time you fucked up by admitting that framerate and gameplay are connected.

Yeah, Bloodborne is well designed because the developers paid attention to the limitations of the framerate when doing the gameplay, the actions buffer inbetween button presses, monsters have long windup moves to give the player more reaction time etc etc.

Developers of Hyper evidently didn't account for the framedrops, input drops etc as the gameplay is reliant on things which are directly hampered by these issues. Thus the gameplay is not well designed and garbage.
>>
>>341971518
>I summon friends the frame rate drops and is unresponsive and the game becomes impossible to play.
yeah weird how that happens when it goes below 30fps but you seemed to have no issues at stable 30fps right? :^)

now how's hyper light drifter any different from that?
>>
>>341971107
Space program by 2030, of course.

It's funny because most authors up to the 29th century would've had these thoughts anyway. What's the point of letting that ruin what inherit fun or enjoy ability out of the book.
>>
>>341967952
>Ugly as fuck graphics
>Lacks features
?
>>
>>341971601
>but this time you fucked up by admitting that framerate and gameplay are connected.
you're an idiot if you think I'm trying to vehemently distance framerate from gameplay here

framerate IMPACTS gameplay but IT IS NOT gameplay

>monsters have long windup moves to give the player more reaction time etc etc.
FINALLY, SOMEONE TALKS GAMEPLAY DESIGN
now do the same for HLD
>>
>>341968289
Tablets just give you lore (literally a couple sentence one you put them all together and translate them).
>>
>>341969378
Its not like Charge Attack, Pistol, Chain Dash and Reflect Slash doesn't exist.
Or wait, they DO.
>>
>>341971605
>but you seemed to have no issues at stable 30fps right

Other than the game feeling slower and shittier than all the other games except Demon's Souls because the frame rate?

No problems at all.
>>
>>341971431
Sure they would have, it would've just taken hundreds of years of time or never ever if Africa was completely isolated.

And yeah, I know Africa is diverse, Nigerians are alright in my book but god damn are Somalians disgusting. Ethiopian cuisine is also pretty horrible, don't know why I tried that restaurant recently.

Africa was/is diverse and consisted of many, many tribes that fought and killed other tribes, enslaved and all that good s h i t. Without external forces the whole charade would've probably continued far off into the future.
>>
>>341971821
>No problems at all.
why is it suddenly a problem for HLD?

>game feeling slower and shittier
again these abstract "it just doesn't feel right!"

talk to me about the DESIGN unless you don't know shit about design in which case stop posting about things you evidently don't know shit about
>>
>>341968570
>you're still complaining about framerate and not gameplay

While there is merit in the distinction you're making, you're just being obtuse at this point. You're talking about gameplay as designed, >>341968484 is talking about gameplay as implemented. Not that hard to figure out.

Which btw >>341968484 yes those were huge problems with the game. Every interaction with the game was jarring, and I got to the point where I thought my fucking controller was busted because inputs were dropped so fucking often.
>>
>>341967385
>Special thanks to Kanye West
>>
>>341971970
>got to the point where I thought my fucking controller was busted because inputs were dropped so fucking often.

This, I thought my 360 pad was dying or some shit. Theres pretty noticeable input delay on top of it too, makes playing the game tedious.

I don't understand how you fuck this up when XInput does 90 percent of the work for you.
>>
File: 1401051088958.png (598 KB, 696x720) Image search: [Google]
1401051088958.png
598 KB, 696x720
>>341970131
>too stupid to ever function properly as a society
Name a functioning all-black society.
>>
>>341970095
All 60FPS would do, is to give you more reaction frames.
The only "hard" thing about this game is that you can chain dash on a fixed window, and if your gamepad doesn't do 1:1 inputs(i.e input lag) you are going to have a bad time.

The chain dash challenge is hard too. Its not a thing every human can do without training and a good controller, and some patience.
>>
>>341971970
you might be right, but as it seems by what these guys tell me the game is literally perfectly designed and has no flaws if it were in 60fps
>>
>>341971729
Sure, here we go:

Chaindashing feels like shit because sometimes the game refuses to read your input, ruining your chain and potentially killing you.

A common scenario is being mobbed by many foes/bullet hell in bosses, in such cases twitch reactions are the key, but the input lag/drops/framerate are insufficient to cater to the needed action, so even when you act accordingly you can still be punished by dropping the input, thus resulting in getting hit.

The action is also relatively floaty and lacks traction, the character shuffles around which even further decreases the amount of control the player can exert at any given time.
>>
>>341971107
>what's actually happening in the world is a lot different than stereotypes will let on.
India has by far the largest slave population in the world. I bet you don't believe me.
>>
>>341971941
Okay, I'll talk to you about the design.

When you look the game at 30 fps, enemies send you half the amount of information to your eye as if you design it at 60 fps.

Even if two objects are both moving at the exact same speed, you get half the information, fundamentally changing the perception of something. It's not some "feel" thing, it's objectively measurable, like wind up time on attacks.

In Bloodborne, it's harder to dodge attacks than it is in Dark Souls 3, because in Dark Souls 3 your brain is given twice the amount of information to react too versus Bloodborne meaning it can better make decisions.

Also I like the combat in HLD, so I'm not the original guy anyway, I just think you are a fucking retard who doesn't know what he is talking about, as do others in this thread.
>>
>>341971729
Lel I think I might be the only person in this thread who understands your question. Unfortunately, I haven't played the game, so I can't tell you what it plays like.
>>
>>341972192
let's hope you'll never make a game because apparently your design consists of nothing but framerate timing

your game would be an empty room with a 60 frames per second to look at
>>
>>341972146
>the game refuses to read your input
Accept the fact you missed a 3 window on 5-6hz.
>>
>>341972282
well all this backfired anyway, thanks for bothering though
>>
File: 1361868902766.jpg (92 KB, 371x426) Image search: [Google]
1361868902766.jpg
92 KB, 371x426
All style, no substance.

Game's far too up its own ass with its own mythology and yet it puts no effort to convey it coherently. You know as much as you do going into the game coming out.
>>
File: Anus.jpg (37 KB, 204x354) Image search: [Google]
Anus.jpg
37 KB, 204x354
>>341972320
>Nu uh

I guess me and everyone else is wrong then, okay dude.

Also, am I the only one that actually got some significant frame DROPS when the action got intense? My rig is pretty good, so I don't know how that's even possible given the fact that it's a pixel shit.
>>
File: lagos-city-nigeria-image[1].jpg (297 KB, 1280x912) Image search: [Google]
lagos-city-nigeria-image[1].jpg
297 KB, 1280x912
>>341972104
pic related

>>341972187
>Believe you
There is nothing to believe, it's a fact and I already knew that. I fail to see how it's relevant. It was still worse under British rule and is getting better, and things are trying to be done about sex slavery.

I'm not some retarded liberal who thinks the world is this magical place while the west is evil and so are white people. I'm very glad to have been born in a first world country with lots of opportunity and have no problem with any particular race or anything. Classical racism just triggers me.
>>
>>341972432
I hate when games are overly cryptic
>>
>>341972283
>Because you say, and rightfully so, that framerate is an aspect of gameplay you literally think it's the only thing.

Dumbass. My only point is frame rate is part of gameplay. I literally don't care about the other part of your discussion because I don't even agree with that guy, HLD was fun. I'm just calling you a retarded faggot because you are wrong about specifically what I told you you were wrong about.
>>
short
lacks content
lacks stretchgoal content
combat is mostly flashy animations rather than something with fun mechanics
secrets are like a huge thing in this sort of game and the devs dont know how to fucking hide a secret
>>
>>341972436
>Also, am I the only one that actually got some significant frame DROPS when the action got intense?
This is why i didn't play the first patch, but the third.

Also can you accept the fact the input window for chain dash is narrow as fuck? Even something like Dark Souls Dodging has a window of 0.4 seconds.
Hell, I had to stop using a Wiimote as input device because it didn't do 1:1 inputs, the wrapper created some random input delay.
>>
>>341972441
>Nigeria
>All-black

Enjoying that white man infrastructure once again, I see.
>>
>>341972350
Why not pirate? No cost, delete if shit.
>>
>>341972567
well fair enough
>>
>>341972436
>>341972320
The reason your input drop is because they don't know how to program and just use game makers input. It's tied to the same thread as the rest of the game, meaning you can get dropped inputs.

Similar shit happens with Unity's built in input. You need to have your input on a separate thread and always take input regardless of what's happening frame rate wise, but chances are they don't even know what a thread is.
>>
>>341972441
Nice roundabout. Never mind that almost all the population live in slums.
>>
>>341972639
Yeah sure, lets say I messed up all of my dropped inputs, it's my bad, yeah.

Seems like the game is just garbage then normally, okay.
>>
>>341972665
oh I will eventually try it out before I decide to buy it or not

I was just curious about that guys actual opinion since he simply stated the gameplay was shit and never elaborated on it beyond being 30fps
>>
>>341972441
>Classical racism just triggers me
It should trigger you the least. Different times. Modern racism should digust you more.
>>
>>341966714
Got really bored in about 5 minutes of gameplay.
>>
>>341971864
Odd, I'm Nigerian descent and I find the country too corrupt half the time. People fine but too loud on phones but govt is not great.
I'm hearing things are changing but fuck, if your parents thought the country is dogshit as you grew, then what the fuck.
>>
>>341972660
Are you asking me to post a country in Africa that wasn't colonized or something?

Current African nations all had white people in their history, including places like Somalia which are total shit. What matters is what did the people there do with the things brought there.
>>
>>341972707
I'm making a shitty gamemaker game, are you just talking about delta timings?
>>
>>341972441
>It was still worse under British rule
Slavery is Better than British rule?
Britain pioneered the outlawing of slavery. Britain brought infrastructure, industry, and tea into India. Britain stopped the practice of Indian women being burned alive with their dead husbands, among other barbaric things.

Sure thing famalam. It's getting better now they're gone.
>>
>>341972804
Modern racism is primarily people shit posting and not doing anything. It's not systemic and overbearing to the point where it dictates even science.

Essentially, I can forget racism exist if I just leave 4chan for a few days.
>>
this thread is bonkers
>>
video games will never be an art form. no one will remember your pretentious purple vomit pixel shit. no one will remember it a year after.
>>
>>341972887
Exactly, the successful black nations are the ones that adopted the infrastructure that was left behind, see a good documentary about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0C4_88ub_M

The ones that didn't do as well are the ones that neglected what was given and regressed back to the tribal garbage that is also the original African way of life.

Also, to be honest, my experience with Nigerians has been with the richest 0.1% of them so I guess that's a bit skewed, yeah, most of them are probably just as bad as the rest.
>>
>>341972887
>Are you asking me to post a country in Africa that wasn't colonized or something?
Liberia?
Why don't you post some pictures of Liberia?
>>
>>341972707
>Make Input
>Miss frame
>Claim game input is fucked
>Blame glorious fixed timing when deltatime just adds insane input lag
>>
>>341972896
No, I'm talking about threading.

In your game loop you run a bunch of code right?

That code happens in a loop, which means it has to do something like

DoGameCode();
DoPhysics();
DoGraphics();

In some order like that. That means that if the game is doing graphics when you press a button, it has to queue the input and wait to process it later.

Without going into too much technical details, this is a shit model because it means you end up losing a lot of input versus if you had a thread running asynchronously always taking in inputs and no matter what is hapening on the other thread. It can do it at some arbitrary resolution (ie 144 hz) and will always read your inputs correctly even if the game is going at 1 fps.
>>
>>341973276
wouldn't generous input buffers counteract that?
>>
>>341973168
White people built the infrastructure in Liberia. All the shitty problems with the country though were caused by the "elite" class though.
>>
I enjoyed it because I didn't bother waiting to see what /v/ thought of it

Yes, I'm used to 60 FPS, but I adapted to the 30FPS and enjoyed it regardless

The game being too short is a 100% true statement.

The game lacking features, like lacking additional weapons/ a lot of RPG-like customization, 100% true

NG+ is silly, and offers no real replayability. 2 Health for no new enemies, no alt. ending, just the same game. Might as well play it at normal difficulty if you think 2 health (one shot from some bosses) is annoying.

Core gameplay is solid

takes itself pretty seriously but also doesn't use words to tell its story, and there's no over-long " THE FEELS" cutscenes. I liked it.

If they had tried to tell this story with a lot of words it would've been a snooze fest because this story has been told 11,000 times before
>>
>>341973272
Dropping an input is not missing an input and you can drop input on a fixed frame rate. That's actually one of the best ways to drop an input.

How are you going to read a persons input at 1 fps? What happens if you are polling for inputs, and they press it the second half of the frame, IE frame 31, and there is only one fucking frame there in the first place?
>>
>>341967620
You have a screencap of the meltdown? I tossed it aside because
>20 burgers for a 5 hour indie game
>>
>>341973531
>What happens if you are polling for inputs, and they press it the second half of the frame, IE frame 31, and there is only one fucking frame there in the first place?
Read up on how computers work. You are either on frame 30, or on frame 31, or on frame 32. You input for that frame.
Nothing changes that.
>>
>>341973417

The game checks for inputs at the beginning of a frame
If you press a button slightly later in the update cycle, you have to wait until the next update cycle to begin for it to be used - effectively a whole frame delay in the worst case
>>
File: Otter.jpg (85 KB, 283x300) Image search: [Google]
Otter.jpg
85 KB, 283x300
Beat the game 2 days ago.
It was the latest version of the game.
And i didn't actually read the credits.
And i dint pay attenuation to the internet drama and didn't even know there is one until now.

The game was fun.
Kinda easy but super fun and interesting to explore.

Id give it a solid 8/10
If it was slightly longer like if it had 2 more dungeons whit its themes and world id give it a 9/10
If it didn't have bugs and ran at 60 fps id give it a 9.5/10
>>
>>341973729

agree with too easy as well

longest a boss took me in this game was about half an hour (west boss)

beat the frog and bird in 3 tries each I think, took me about 8 minutes total on the last boss

forgot to mention that earlier
>>
>>341973610
The fucking irony here.

How about you read how computers work?

First off do you know how fucking controllers work you faggot?

Most game engines use polling methods. That means that at some point the computer is going to have to say "controller, what are you doing." The controller itself doesn't have a bunch of information, it just has a state. You get sent that state and do what you want with it.

When playing a game fixed to a frame rate like 30 fps, we expect to be playing at 30 fps. In the scenario presented up there, what will happen is if we poll for input 30 times a second, that means only at these times is an input valid. That means depending on the time you press a button, it can literally not register.

>Computers are either at frame 30, or 31

Okay retard, but is a computer ALWAYS polling during frame 30 or frame 31? If so, that would be your entire game.

Kill yourself
>>
reminder that hyper light drifter was made by a dying dev and alot of the symbolism in the game was about battling his heart condition
>>
>>341973417
Yes they will.

All you have to do is store a persons input in a buffer and read from that. Ideally you store it in the buffer asynchronously at a speed independent of your game.

There is also another way to go about the entire process, but it requires a hardware implementation and because controllers don't work that way already it will never actually happen.
>>
>>341973852
You could async the reading of input, and the game.
But that would also create an entire frame of input lag.
>that means only at these times is an input valid.
Also you are described dropped inputs. Due game engine stalling under input, locking the input queue. This is a very common behavior in deltatime games that runs at 30. Dark Souls is example, where it enjoys to drop your roll button if a frame misses the sync to screen.
>>
>>341967645
>schizophrenic and abused his wife.
this makes me want to read his books even more
>>
>>341974116
Async input will not introduce any input lag. Not even a frame. The "frame" of lag at most will be exactly what it would of been in the first place had it not be asynchronous.
>>
Is the game worth torrenting?
>>
>>341974317
>Async input will not introduce any input lag.
Yes, it do. Thats one of the basics on how async input works.
On 60Hz you get about 16.67ms per frame. If the input frame is missed, thats a full frame of input lag.

>>341974436
Do you like Zelda?
YES
>>
what is it?
>>
>>341974462
I never actually played zelda. I just sort of passed through gaming without ever really knowing it existed.
>>
>>341974462
Which is exactly what would happen if it was on the same thread. Putting it on the same thread isn't going to make the code jump back and handle input again.

All that matters is the state of the buffer when input is read. How is updating the buffer asynchronously going to INTRODUCE lag? All that means is the buffer can be updated at any time. If you press it right after the input is handled, it will queue the input, but all not shit input systems will do this or it will be a dropped input.
>>
>>341974184

Theres a fictional biography called drood that covers this. You could try that too. I think its by dan simmons
>>
>>341968484
I noticed this really quickly. The eaten inputs are really annoying. I don't have the best computer and in several areas fps dropped quite a bit below 30 - that being said, I can at least run games like Crysis 3 on decent settings, so they REALLY fucked up the optimization.

>>341969592
Honestly not only does the lag and framerate affect gameplay, but the game is also just kind of easy and short. The graphics make it hard to distinguish what you are looking at as well throughout the majority of the game. Interestingly they added iframes to the dash in a later update, but the game was already easy enough without them. That doesn't mean I disagree with the decision completely, but they probably should have come up with a way to offset that. There's a hard mode, but it just removes a few HP and it is one of those annoying situations where you need to first beat the game.

>>341968289
I think you get a costume.
>>
>>341966714
Game is unplayable
>>
>>341968570
>about framerate

What the fuck do dropped inputs have to do with framerate?
>>
Got bored after finishing the third level.
Dark Souls 3 came out.
Dont feel any desire to return to it.
>>
most of the stuff you get for 'exploring' is completely useless

game is enjoyable but it feels sorta half baked
>>
Its a weaker version of Bastion with some Link to the Past mixed in there.
Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.