[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 2 is a great game and has better lore, combat variety
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: 1458548441832.jpg (57 KB, 871x960) Image search: [Google]
1458548441832.jpg
57 KB, 871x960
Dark Souls 2 is a great game and has better lore, combat variety and fashion than DaS1 and DaS3 combined.
>>
>>341960893

I still prefer kings field 4 to the souls series
>>
>>341960893
That's not unpopular opinion. Nobody except a few underaged edgelords on /v/ think 1 was the better game.
>>
>>341960986
My heart belongs to Armored Core, the remaining From games can go fuck themselves.
>>
File: 1465959851581.png (107 KB, 361x370) Image search: [Google]
1465959851581.png
107 KB, 361x370
>>341960893
Is this true or just bait?
I am rushing trough Sly 2 to play DS2.
>>
>>341960893
I think the main game was weaker overall than one and three, but SotFS and the DLCs more than redeemed two. The crown of the ivory king is my favorite section of any souls game.
>>
File: displeased pepe.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
displeased pepe.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>frigid outskirts
>>
>>341961307
Was a great zone. Atmospheric as fuck and a good change of pace from the dungeon like design of most other souls zones.
>>
>>341960893
I haven't played DaS3 yet but DaS1 is only superior in terms of boss variety (and only variety) and dodge roll mechanics (DaS2 rolls are still better because you can roll in more directions).
>>
>>341961286
Combat variety and fashion are true but not the lore part
>>
File: 404.png (15 KB, 686x732) Image search: [Google]
404.png
15 KB, 686x732
>>341960893
Can the mods just bin this obvious bait thread so we can avoid a 500 post shitstorm for once?
>>
>>341961509
Perfect, I am not a lorefag.
I enjoy tho.
>>
File: 1392011971890.png (259 KB, 1472x1544) Image search: [Google]
1392011971890.png
259 KB, 1472x1544
>>341960893
>Dark Souls 2 is a great game

It's pretty good. The people who call it bad are just being hyperbolic because that's what the internet does.

>has better lore
Really not convinced that's the case

>combat variety
True, but more does not inherently mean better (though I do think that overall you're correct)

>fashion
Frankly I think a lot of the original DaS 2 armor sets looked hella samey, but I didn't spend nearly as much time with it to get really creative. One big problem I had was that in DaS 1 skirts and kilts and shit were seperate on the legs but in DaS 2 they often got moved to the chestpiece and that prevented more interesting combinations.

Your opinion isn't unreasonable, but you really didn't need to frame it in such a way as to incite mindless argument.
>>
>>341961432

What's your name? Is it retard? Hi retard, you're a fucking piece of shit
>>
>>341960986
>Look at me, I'm a giant faggot!
>>
>>341962061

Play that first. Its a matter of nostalgia but kf4 was a solid experience. The get gud mentality and marketing outputting to me.
>>
>>341960893
DS2 is better then DS3 but worse then DS1
this is the correct opinion
>>
>>341960893
It's pretty good. Weak compared to the rest of the series, but good by AAA standards these days
>has better lore,
Haha. No. Not even a little bit.
>combat variety
It may have started out like that, when the PvP was young, but then the patches came out and destroyed faith builds so thoroughly that they remained dead on DaS3.
>and fashion than DaS1 and DaS3 combined.
I might say this was the case if the character models weren't just kind of fucked, with their bizarrely wide shoulders and shitty walk cycle. DaS3 has superior original armor designs, and fixes the Faraam set so that it doesn't look like foam rubber.
>>
You can LITERALLY roll with your dark sword through the DS3
the only usable build in DS3 is quality straight sword
>>
Can someone tell why DS2 is better then DS3 so I can rekt DS3 babies on the internet ?
>>
>>341962520
not even OP but what was wrong was DAS2's lore?

ultimate final nightmare must die mode: no bitching about iron keep floating above earthen peak
>>
>>341962751
Why actually have an argument when you can just call everyone who disagrees with you a redditor or a retard?

>>341962943
It has nothing to do with the level design, and everything to do with there being no goddamn explanation for all the Lord Souls just magically being in the possession of all the Big Bosses of their zones. Why the fuck does NG+ Freja have Seath's soul? What fucking sense does that make?

It's never really explained, because their is no explanation. It's literally just "INSERT DAS1 REFERENCE HERE" pandering, without any of the actual grandeur that DaS3's blatant pandering managed to pull off in spite of itself.

When I was playing through for the first time all I could think was "why would they even do it like this? It makes no sense," and after figuring out what the actual story of the game was, with Vendrick and Nashandra and all that, I could never shake the thought that the entire first half of the game is entirely meaningless to the greater plot. Beyond picking up the souls of Lords for no apparent reason to open a door that must have been built long after the events of DaS1, in which all the souls are collected and FUCKING BURNED by you or Solaire, canonically there is no reason to actually have those Souls be the Souls of Lords from DaS1 aside from SICK REFERENCE BRO.

And let's not forget the only reason you're climbing that particular fucking mountain is because of a small pile of rubble on the road. Better go out and kill all those God-beasts! Would hate to chip a nail on this SMALL PILE OF ROCKS.
>>
File: 1371318934356.png (26 KB, 199x198) Image search: [Google]
1371318934356.png
26 KB, 199x198
>>341960893
Good one op
>>
>>341960893
I agree.
>>
I can't take people who like DaS2 seriously, I just can't imagine how a thinking person who can form his own opinions, can like this piece of shit. People who like it are either retards or ebin contrarians who think liking shit makes them cool and sophisticated.
>>
>>341963531
Though DS3's pandering isn't nearly as retarded, as you can clearly tell that Lothric stands where Lordran once was. I haven't finished DS2 SOTFS yet so I've yet to run into this stupiditiy, but overall game is fun
>>
>>341963531
>there is no reason to actually have those Souls be the Souls of Lords from DaS1

One of the main themes of DS2 is reincarnation anon. Rotten=Nito, lost sinner=bed of chaos, nashandra=manus, etc... It makes perfect sense.
>>
>>341964519
>lost sinner=bed of chaos
What? I've not gone to NG+ yet but how on earth do they have any kind of connection?
>>
What's with the ?platmsg? error in DaS, I just got it and now it doesn't work
Am I fucked?
>>
>>341964991
The bug that enters her eye during the cinematic is the bed of chaos bug.
>>
>>341964519
It sure as fuck doesn't make sense from a lore standpoint. Why the fuck is the prisoner the Bed of Chaos and not the Old Iron King? Why is Freja guarding Seath's soul at all?

The only thing that makes any kind of sense is Nashandra and her sisters being actual shards of Manus, and even then they share absolutely no design elements (almost as if they were designed by A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAM for A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PROJECT and they have NO ACTUAL CONNECTION)

And another thing: Why the fuck are there Grave Wardens in Earthen Peak? Why are there more of them in Earthen Peak than in the GODDAMN GRAVES THEY BELONG IN? Why does the area need both Mannequins AND Grave Wardens?

Why are there a bunch of Lindeldt Clerics in the Shrine of Amana? Didn't Vendrick go down there alone, and leave the Mirror Knight to guard the way? Did they all get past the Knight, or did he let them by? If he let them by, or if Vendrick brought them with him, why? They're foreign clergy.

The theme of Resurrection falls flat as an excuse for the boss soul pandering, because the Bosses and their previous "incarnations" have no common theme. It's just a mish mash of pandering nonsense stitched together by hand-waves and vague nonsense. Between that and the frankly LAZY enemy placement and diversity, the game gives off a feeling more than any of the other entries in the franchise.

That feeling is a feeling of things being rewritten, repurposed, or just plain removed (the lighting will always be a black mark against this game, no matter how much time passes). There are pieces of a good game here, but someone on the team dropped the whole, and they had to put the shattered remains back together as best they could, which was not quite good enough.
>>
>>341965217
Shit, didn't realize that at all. If only the fight reflected the Witch of Izalith then, since Bed of Chaos was an appalling excuse for a lord soul
>>
>>341960893
combat variety and fashion I agree, the lore is okayish
>>
>>341965345
>(almost as if they were designed by A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAM for A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PROJECT and they have NO ACTUAL CONNECTION

Too bad b-team is a meme. The team is exactly the same minus Miyazaki anon. And it's the same team that also made DS3. The only entirely different team is the one for Bloudbourne.

>That feeling is a feeling of things being rewritten, repurposed, or just plain removed
Yes, you are right, we all know that. A few months before release they removed the director because he was doing shit and replaced it with Tanimura who had little time to fix the bullshit. And this guy knows his shit, he directed the DLC from start to finish, and it's the best content From has made so far.

>the frankly LAZY enemy
You have valid points, but this is simply wrong. DS1 enemy placement makes no fucking sense from the beginning of the game to the very end. In that aspect DS2 is better.

>Why the fuck is the prisoner the Bed of Chaos
The bed of chaos is the bug, not the prisoner.

>Why is Freja guarding Seath's soul at all?
Because the entire area is located over seath's fortress. The duke found remnants of Seath's legacy, and went crazy. Freja got exposed to Seath remaining power and got huge and is guarding stuff because the duke can't. Haven't played in a while, that's how I remember it.

>because the Bosses and their previous "incarnations" have no common theme.
But they do.
>>
>>341960893
For me, the biggest thing that detracted from DaS2 was Agility. Once I knew you had to pump your first 20 levels into Adaptability the game played much better. It isn't a bad game, but it does suffer from having some of the most bland environments. Also, while there are certainly more options for armor compared to DaS1, the vast majority of it does look like shit. I will say, though, that power stancing is probably one of my favorite things in the entire series, so it's a shame 3 didn't include it.
>>
>>341961075
shit tier bait
>>
>>341960893
google difference between lore and plot
>>
I really enjoyed how DS2 had a recurring theme of forgetfulness. All of the lore touches on how many lost kingdoms used to stand where you were treading, all the NPCs have set out for quests that they can no longer recall as they get sidetracked, greedy, or complacent, and even the ending all seem to tie into that. Isn't not the most clever but the consistency was really nice. Never played Scholar though, I didn't want to buy a game twice unless they put Frank West in it.
>>
Yes
>and has better lore, combat variety and fashion than DaS1 and DaS3 combined
No
>>
Dark Souls 2 has awful level design and mediocre boss and enemy fights. It's extremely tedious and the defense force that fights for it is almost as bad as the Naughty Dog drones.
>>
>>341960893
couldn't give a fuck about souls edgy lore, but for combat definitely more comfy. Agility kinda makes it eh against DS1 but omni direction rolling makes up for it. They're far better than shit tier DS3 combat of mindless roll spam and stunlocks.

Fashion is pretty fucking great. More choices than DS1, had the most fun making up costumes in DS2. DS3's absolute garbage armor choices just can't compare.
>>
I legit enjoyed DS2 way more than the other two games. Seemed way smoother, combat wasn't Bloodborne-esque (good in its own series, not Souls), better world-building, minor lore, and characters.

DS1 has nostalgia value, but I didn't enjoy playing it again after playing DS2.
>>
>>341966654

The one thing I don't understand is the whole Gutter business.
With the addition of the DLC you find that past it is the whole kingdom and such, but why did the giant discarded Aldia amalgamation hosting Nito's soul didn't manage more than... piling rocks and feeling sad.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (124 KB, 688x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg
124 KB, 688x800
>DS2's production was such a massive mess the first director was replaced by another who had to try gobble something decent out of the shit they had created
>massive downgrade and lies about DLCs
>in fact it was so bad they ended up rereleasing the whole game full price
>it was so bad the next game in the series ignored it almost completely¨

>still there are contrarians in /v/ claiming it was good because "muh pvp"
>>
I don't really have a favorite, they all feel the same to me. I will say that I'm confused by just how much "2 is shit, 3 is what 2 should have been" considering that 3 has all the same heavy pandering via hearkening to 1 but goes as far as to just fucking put Andre in it. Poise in 3 is still animation-tied like 2 and they fixed stunlocking by limiting everything to 2 guaranteed hits which is boring.
>>
>>341966868
I didn't actually care for power stance one bit. Most of the time it just felt as if yes, you were wielding two weapons, but not that you properly used two weapons.
>>
>>341967680
DS3 was a direct sequel while DS2 was supposedly its own thing with a new world and characters so the fanservice stood out more
>>
Why am I able to make an infinitely better looking face for my character in DS2, but not DS3? Also, DS2 had better lighting it seemed, and I also cared about the story a whole lot more. King Vendrick and Nashandra and Velstadt/Raime were all so interesting, it's just a shame the last boss was so simple.
>>
PS4 version is 20 bucks rn
>>
>>341967658
you know DS2 softs was a thing only because of consoles
>>
>>341967954
got it yesterday
I am enjoying this much more then DS3
the game is actually hard
>>
>>341960893
DS2 isn't a bad game. It made some really dumb design decisions like soul memory, bonfire ascetics, etc... SotFS does a lot to fix these issues.

Lore-wise... Meh. This is personal preference. I enjoyed the lore analysis of all 3.

Fashion-wise, DS2 does absolutely have them both beat.

DS1 is a tighter experience, but DS2 is a sprawling and interesting game once you learn how to deal with its flaws, i.e. put points into the stat that gives you better roll iframes.
>>
>>341967886
Well, I don't know about DaS3, as I only made one character (who was a damn good representation of Thriller-era Michael Jackson), but I will agree with it for DaS2. I effortlessly made an extremely cute girl in it, yet with the older games, as well as Bloodborne, I can only manage the ugliest faces.
>>
>>341960893
>playing Dark Souls for lore
>>
>>341968516
>not playing Dark Souls to find out the fun tidbits of lore about each tragic story for each boss you ruthlessly murder
>>
>>341968736
>oh look a gifted child that has been tortured in isolation her whole life bound in eternity to a place of suffering she doesn't even seem to be able to acknowledge
>and she's the only one that doesn't attack you on sight!

>that's a pretty nice scythe though...
>>
>>341968053
DS2 is questionably bullshit in some locations, but in general I'll agree
>>
>>341960893
Obvious bait, but i'm going in mother fucker!

>great game
It's good.

>better lore
No.

>combat variety
Yes. dual-stance really did a good thing. Still a shame that their were so many god damn weapons that were identical except stats. The other ones do it to, but DS2 went nuts with that shit.

The enemy aspect of combat was terrible, but there's no denying that there was much more ways for the player to rek shit.

>fashion
I don't even know. Never was a fashion guy. I think there was more facial hair options in Dark Souls 2, though. But then I think they put the skirts and such on the chest piece instead of the leggings. Eh. Can't say.

Overall, I think /v/ is still going through the motions.
>>
>>341969015
I can't give less of a shit about that edgelord weapon, but this bitch lying about the fucking faggots living there being peaceful when I just lost a shitload of souls inside the well because of those wheels ? now that shit got her my great axe up her ass
>>
>>341960893
Even though DS2 is my favourite, for the reasons you mentioned, I'd say it's my own opinion rather than objective fact.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.