[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you prefer to be able to go anywhere in a game immediately
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: lamap.png (396 KB, 2560x2048) Image search: [Google]
lamap.png
396 KB, 2560x2048
Do you prefer to be able to go anywhere in a game immediately or to gradually gain more and more access to the world as you unlock new abilities?
>>
Never played the Castlvanian half of the Metroidvania type of games, but Metroid games like the original, Zero Mish and Super has the right idea. Make the entire map open, but make it so you can't access certain areas very easily before acquiring a particular power. Tying area access to plot progression is really tedious, but unlimited free roam could be pretty boring and rob you of the sense of accomplishment you get when you discover a previously inaccessible area.
>>
Dang LA's map is actually really similar to LTTP in a lot of ways.
>>
I just want to get immersed. I don't care about specifics.
>>
i liked how in xenoblade x you could get to the furthest region right from the start, and there was even a companion quest you can get really early on that requires you to go there
>>
>>341938635
God damn I dumped so many hours into this game as a kid.
It amazes me how ever panel has a puzzle on it somewhere to solve
>>
>>341940151
Yeah, plotgates are pretty dumb in general. Itemgates are neat, though.
>>
>>341938635
I like the approach where the only thing keeping you from going somewhere is the really hard enemy guarding the entrance.
>>
Both
>>
Link's Awakening actually opens up pretty much the entire map after Bottle Grotto. Especially since the only thing stopping you from going right into one of the dungeons is some nagging ghost IIRC.
>>
>>341938635
Both. Depends on your tone and gameplay
>>
most of the game is accessible or your own or require major skills if you are not ''this'' strong yet and some area require some weapon/tools. I think ALTBW would have been great if it wasnt rehashing ALTTP and was way harder.
>>
>>341938635
Let me go wherever as long as they make it hard and not elder scrolls lvl up the monsters with you bullshit.
>>
>>341944631
I always hated the lvl up with you bullshit especially if there are scarce items too. I'm not good at management enough to play these games right.
>>
>>341944481
How would you make dungeons the player does later on in the game harder than the ones they did earlier?
>>
File: megaman vilains minus.png (1 MB, 1103x667) Image search: [Google]
megaman vilains minus.png
1 MB, 1103x667
>>341945491
I would take the megaman approach: just make all the dungeon hard as fuck so it doesnt matter which ones you pick first.the later dungeons would be like the willy castle stages where they combine what you learned while throwing at you new ideas.
>>
>>341944481
That's why this game was great played on a borrowed copy. I did a 3-heart run on hero mode for my first playthrough and it was great.
>>
>>341938635
I think ALBW did it well. You can go most places but some places are still kinda locked until you get the items.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.