[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Nintendo's going to do for Zelda what BotW did for Metroid,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 22
File: 1435432896615.jpg (302 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1435432896615.jpg
302 KB, 1280x720
So Nintendo's going to do for Zelda what BotW did for Metroid, right?
>>
>>341938573
Soccer isn't good enough for you?
>>
File: CKEBjMcVEAAPpjS.jpg (37 KB, 600x446) Image search: [Google]
CKEBjMcVEAAPpjS.jpg
37 KB, 600x446
>>341938573
>Open World Zelda
>Open World Mario
>Open World Metroid
>Every Nintendo franchise becomes Open World
>>
>>341938573
Oh shit, that should be the other way around.

Should I delete and make a new thread?
>>
File: Samus Rant.png (206 KB, 335x307) Image search: [Google]
Samus Rant.png
206 KB, 335x307
Did you mean: Nintendo is going to do for Metroid what they're doing for Zelda with BotW, right?
>>
>>341938793
Nigga I just woke up. I'm groggy as fuck.
>>
>>341938793
That's obviously not what he means.
>>
>>341938762
Name a single open world Zelda game.
>>
>>341939023
The Legend of Zelda
>>
Is Zelda going to do for Nintendo what they're doing for Metroid?
>>
I can't wait for Metroid Breath of the Wild
>>
>>341938926
Fucking thank you, I thought /v/ was going to chew me out. ;_;
>>
>>341939023
Ocarina of time. The original 3d open world game.
>>
File: 1464667376421.jpg (84 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1464667376421.jpg
84 KB, 768x768
>>341938573
No, the series's gameplay doesn't need to be completely redone. Other M tried to reinvent the 2D gameplay and failed. Fed Force is trying to reinvent Prime and is going to fail. It's been 15 years since the last tradition 2D game in the series and 8 years since the last traditional 3D game. The next game just needs to play it safe and just be Metroid 5 or Prime 4. No gimmics and no bullshit.
>>
>>341939023
Almost all of them?
>>
>>341939023
theyre all open world are you guys fucking stupid
>>
>>341938573
no metroid sky
>>
>>341938573
Yeah I can see it happening (even though Metroid was already open world) Sakamoto will be the Producer but the younger devs at EPD will be the director and writer. So I can see Nintendo looking at Other M's criticism liked they did for Skyward Sword and making an awesome new Metroid for fans of the traditional games and who are new the franchise. It could also be a sequel to Fusion since Sakamoto would be he game's Producer.
>>
>>341939676
It can be pseudo-open world. Make it so you still have to progress to certain areas and fight bosses with Prime's gameplay, but make it interplanetary and along the way you can have additional open-world fluff going on in space/side planets.
>>
>>341938573
LOL at my OP

What I mean is has Nintendo really been as far as decided for Zelda to use even go want to do BotW more like Metroid?
>>
>>341938762
How would an open world mario work, anyway? Mario's gameplay structure is defined as overcoming obstacle courses to get from point A to point B. The closest the games have ever gotten to giving any choice in progress is hidden exits and Toad Houses.
>>
MAKE
METROID
GREAT
AGAIN
>>
>>341939676
>Fed Force is trying to reinvent Prime

No it's fucking not, it's just a spin off
>>
I think the series in general needs to attract more people without sacrificing the already established fanbase first.
Nintendo needs to make a wider audience care and be interested in Metroid.
I'm not talking about dumbing the gameplay down to casuals I'm just talking about giving Metroid a solid installment with an extra push.
Something that can make it a major Nintendo IP once more.
>>
>>341939023
BotW
>>
So if Metroid ever got the BotW treatment what would you like to see?
>>
>>341939812
the multiplayer ones aren't :^)
>>
>>341942267

>bringing in a new fanbase whilst simultaneously catering to an old one

That's walking a pretty fine line in terms of the series. As Other M and Federation Force demonstrate quite well, Metroid fans are pretty stingy about their content. Balancing story, gameplay, and continuity with the series would be absolutely critical in order for such a game to succeed.
>>
>>341942523
A horror themed SciFi shooter that, while not having a huge emphasis on exploration, giving players the option for it and making it worth their while. Structure it like Zero Mission, but not an hour long.
>>
File: jJLWkY3.gif (3 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
jJLWkY3.gif
3 MB, 360x203
it's time to let metroid rest.
>>
Nintendo's going to do for Metroid what it did for Star Fox and Paper Mario.
>>
>>341943229
>Game that is great once you get past it's ridiculous learning curve, but is so short, you probably won't
>game that has good music, good art, and some quirky humor, but gameplay is questionable to fans of the series

I don't follow. If it's a crack at Miyamoto, he was the guy who made Prime into an FPS.
>>
>>341942523
Basically a straight up 3D, FP Metroid game that maybe got rid of some convictions of the series, like the doors you need to shoot to open. Make it more open. I want to traverse what feels like a truly living, breathing alien world. You see how dynamic BotW is? Make a Metroid game like that, but keep the familiar Metroid elements. You should still be able to go to new areas by finding and acquiring new items or weapons, for example. Making it more compact (but still open) than BotW should work. Instead of 12 huge areas, just give me like 4-5 areas or so with lots of different subareas, which might be accessible once you find different items/weapons.

They should also bring back some classic items that haven't been done in the Prime-style gameplay before, like the Speed Booster.

Platforming should feel more like Mirror's Edge, with more parkour elements (though in an attempt to be more like the 2D games).

Though honestly, >>341939676 is kinda right.

I'd rather see classic 2D and 3D Metroids again before they go full BotW. But if they make more Metroid games, they're going to have to do something drastic eventually.
>>
>>341939023
Are you aware that Zelda straight up invented open world games? In 2D AND 3D?
>>
Metroid is dead.
>>
>>341941993
Like Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012
>>
>>341941993
Mario 64 had all kinds of ways you could obtain Stars if you were clever enough. I'd say that's a better example than hidden exits.
>>
>>341941993
SM64 is very open in that it's incredibly non-linear, both in structure and level design. You can essentially beat it in almost any way you want to, taking into account the various barriers that don't allow you to precede. But other than those, you're good to just do whatever level or mission you like in any order.
>>
How would you feel if a specific team was in charge of keeping consistency to the lore and universe of Metroid?
>>
>>341944131
>best game released just a couple years ago
>series is dead
>>
>>341939676
BotW doesn't seem to be completely redoing Zelda's gameplay though.

The core gameplay system is still similar enough to older 3D titles. It's everything else that's being changed (equipment/loot/world interaction/etc.).

Despite the memes, you can still tell the combat is Zelda, rather than being Souls or Dragon's Dogma or whatever.
>>
>>341944603
Are you talking about Other M?
>>
File: 1466188864972.gif (1003 KB, 216x158) Image search: [Google]
1466188864972.gif
1003 KB, 216x158
>>341944603
You're funny.
>>
File: ninja, is you sub-zerious.jpg (99 KB, 688x666) Image search: [Google]
ninja, is you sub-zerious.jpg
99 KB, 688x666
>>341944603
>Other M
>best game
>>
>>341944603
>2009
>a couple years ago
>>
Is it weird that the only things about BotW that have put me off are the fact Link is right handed only and him not holding items up over his head anymore?

Not crazy about the durability thing, either. I've never really played a game where I thought durability improved it.
>>
>>341941993
Imagine Sunshine but without having to actually go through portals to reach every zone/island.
>>
>>341944828
Q3 2010 actually.
>>
File: KQsQ4.gif (243 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
KQsQ4.gif
243 KB, 300x100
>>341938924
>>
>>341944947
>Prime Trilogy
>2010
>>
>>341945025
>prime trilogy
>better than other m
>>
>>341944837
>Nintendo producer Eiji Aonuma explained why Link is not left-handed in Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Aonuma says that “in terms of right-handedness of things, when we think about which hand Link is going to use, we think about the control scheme. With the GamePad, the buttons you’ll be using to swing the sword are on the right side, and thus he’s right-handed”.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-zelda-breath-of-the-wilds-link-is-right-handed/1100-6440870/

You'll get over it
>>
Is anyone buying Fedora's Force here?
>>
>>341939676
That's all Metroid and many other franchises need. One or two games per gen, that are high quality and give people more of what they want. They don't mind giving people more jumpy wahoo Mario, more easy going village life in AC, so why does Metroid need some world altering change? Fuck Nintendo.
>>
>>341938782
We've got the gist.
>>
>>341944454

A little worried. Odds are that they'd enforce a lot of Sakamoto's stupid decisions.
>>
>>341944123
>Are you aware that Zelda straight up invented open world games? In 2D AND 3D?
It didn't. Ultima 1 came out in 1981.
>>
>>341945123
Has James Rolfe taught you nothing?
>>
>>341939676

Other M's problem wasn't redoing the gameplay, it was redoing it poorly. They insisted on NES controls for a fucking 3D brawler so everything was automated. The series could very well work as a third person shooter/brawler if it wasn't so poorly executed.
>>
>>341945181
What if they're Western or a team of both Westerners and Japanese people?
>>
File: its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg (48 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg
48 KB, 500x375
>>341945090
Yes you ruseman
>>
>>341944837
>not holding items up over his head anymore?

But he does? Look for him throwing a bomb.
>>
>>341943997
Also completely changing the way armor upgrades and such work like BotW did it would be great too. Like you could get pieces of armor that effect your stats and such. Armor that's more suited for one environment would be used in one place and armor for another would be used somewhere else, instead of one big, giant upgrade. Shit, some armor might give you completely different and unique abilities.

You gunship might also be expanded on, like MP3, but only done way better. Use your gunship to open up new routes, attack enemies in new ways, give it some new upgrades, like the ability to turn into a tank on the ground, etc.

Level design-wise, instead of making it mostly flat ground or hills, with a mountain there and a forest over there like most open world games, it should be the most intricately-designed open world game ever. Make the level design complex as fuck.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like at least one Prime-style Metroid first though.
>>
>>341944454
If they were actually good writers, loved Metroid, ignored Sakamoto's bullshit, and introduced a lot of cool new shit to the Metroid universe, then hell fucking yeah.

If they're Sakamoto-tier, then hell fucking no.
>>
>>341945349
I'm talking about when he opens chests. He just gets this generic prompt box showing what you got like every other RPG. There's no charm or Zelda feel there anymore, it's just "We want the Skyrim audience."
>>
>>341939528
wtf
>>
>>341943192
oh... OH
>Fusion sequel
>Samus fucks off from Gfeds
>goes into cryostasis aboard ship(remember intro to corruption

someone take this somewhere
>>
File: Coronation.jpg (405 KB, 900x1273) Image search: [Google]
Coronation.jpg
405 KB, 900x1273
>>341945297

Mite b cool. It would presumably imply a more prominent role for lore in the series, which I'm all in favor of provided it's done well.
>>
>>341945619
>He just gets this generic prompt box showing what you got like every other RPG.
Fair enough.
>There's no charm or Zelda feel there anymore, it's just "We want the Skyrim audience."
Stop being a drama queen you faggot.
>>
>>341939023
uhhh...the original Legend of Zelda?
>>
>>341945619
He hasn't even gotten a major item yet in any gameplay we've seen. For all we know, that shit is still present in the final game somewhere.
>>
>>341945106
Of course I will, but it's just silly to change a classic trait that was actually pretty unique in gaming for a silly reason like that. He has always been left handed except in the Wii games, and even though you always attacked with the right side of the controller NOBODY complained or gave a shit.

How is it suddenly important enough to just throw away an iconic trait of an iconic character? No one of these issues would even bother me much, but it's all these little things like they don't even want to to resemble Zelda anymore. All those classic charms seem to be gone and it just looks like they want a new Monster Hunter with Link as the main character... except he doesn't even need to wear his classic green tunic anymore (and in most cases probably won't) because fuck tradition.

It could be a good game and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm bothered it looks like they just don't care about Zelda for what it's always been anymore and are just using the name to sell copies.
>>
>>341946004
Some people speculate Aonuma's hiding something involving the plot
Maybe he is maybe he's not
>>
>>341946004
Stop PMSing it's just a video game

Gameplay is more important than what hand he holds his sword in or what colour cloths he wears you fucking autist
>>
>>341945918
He did it for every item in every chest in every other game except maybe a handful of exceptions with rupees. And weapons aren't substantial items anymore?
>>
Is Metroid going to do for Zelda what BotW did for Nintendo?
>>
>>341938762

I'm down for some of them.

BotW looks like it could be used as a template for an Open World Metroid. Just reskin the Sheika Monks as Chozo statues.

And I'd love to see Mario's crazy banannas world connected together without the use of a hub. Especially if they include Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario's neck of the woods.
>>
File: 1466021589831.jpg (33 KB, 480x344) Image search: [Google]
1466021589831.jpg
33 KB, 480x344
>there will never ever be another 2D metroid as good as super/zero

does anyone remember metroid hunters?
>>
>>341946505
>Gets released on the Wii U Virtual Console
>No Multiplayer
>>
>>341946271
In previous Zelda games, each item you got was a major deal. It's no longer like that in BotW due to the way they changed up the game. Most weapons you get are now temporarily in your inventory. They break after so much uses, and they're sprinkled everywhere throughout the overworld. You're heavily encouraged to pick them up as you go. They're essentially expendable.

You pick them up with so much frequency that having the classic, "DUH-NUH-NUH-NUUUUH!" jingle and accompanying animation spring up every time you pick up a new weapon would become very tiresome, very quickly.

Remember how in SS, EVERY time you reloaded your save file, the game would stop to tell you what item you picked up and do essentially exactly what you're asking of BotW? Yeah. That shit got really annoying, real fast m8.
>>
How many people would be pissed if a new Metroid installment was a reboot?
>>
>>341946642
>You can't modify the controls to bullshit into a normal console fps.
>>
>>341946753
>Samus is retconned into an emotionally fragile and obedient womanlet

Oh wait...
>>
File: 250px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png (87 KB, 250x374) Image search: [Google]
250px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png
87 KB, 250x374
>Tanabe reminded us about the ending of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. After Samus’s ship flies off into the distance, another ship suddenly appears. He said that players Metroid Prime Hunters should recognize that the ship belongs to a bounty hunter called Sylux. "He’s actually chasing after Samus, and that’s where that game ends," Tanabe said. "There’s still more I want to build around the story of Sylux and Samus. There’s something going on between them. I want to make a game that touches upon [it]."
>He’s actually chasing after Samus, and that’s where that game ends
>He

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-what-metroid-primes-producer-wants-in-the-next-sequel
>>
>>341946753
Honestly the only acceptable course story wise is either post fusion or a reboot.
>>
>>341946983
This so hard.

Maybe a 'soft' reboot MP-style where it's actually a subseries within the rest of the series' chronology that just doesn't mention the events of the rest of the series.
>>
>>341946240
Do you want it to end up like Resident Evil? Resident Evil changed their formula once for the better. They made a spectacular game that didn't even kind of resemble Resident Evil. What happened? They never made another game even close to the appeal of the classic games, even when they tried, and they continually made shittier clones of RE4 trying to recapture its popularity without ever succeeding. They felt like a formula nobody wanted to see changed needed changing SO badly they completely lost the ability to make games anything like what make the series popular in the first place, and couldn't even figure out how to keep up with the new style. It got so bad they straight up just ripped off Silent Hill with their most recent game because they've got nothing left.

BotW is as much a Zelda game as Hyrule Warriors was. It doesn't look, feel, or play anything like Zelda. It looks, feels, and plays like Monster Hunter. If they wanted to make something NOTHING like Zelda why not just make a new IP?
>>
>>341947149
I honestly don't care enough about video games to get this worked up over them like you have

I'll wait for the BotW to come out and I'll buy it if it's well received, and I don't mean by you autists
>>
>>341945721
>wakes up undefined amount of years later
>samus emerges from cryosleep with suit barely working
>ship has crashed on unknown planet
>go explore, bitch
>no chozo, no space pirates, no fucking norfair
>just new stuff

that is literally all the setup a new metroid game needs
>>
File: 1464058469951.jpg (145 KB, 1200x808) Image search: [Google]
1464058469951.jpg
145 KB, 1200x808
>>341946753

Let's be honest a reboot would probably save the series instead of trying to continue where other m left off.
>>
File: blocp8lbay2mqus1ldhi.jpg (170 KB, 939x528) Image search: [Google]
blocp8lbay2mqus1ldhi.jpg
170 KB, 939x528
>>341947402
Now why does that sound familiar?
>>
>>341947402
Oh my god.
You could have completely new shit
powersuit is confirmed to assimilate technology
There's so much mystery that this could work

SOMEBODY GET NINTENDO
>>
>>341947545

But where Other M Left off would be the Prime Trilogy.
>>
>>341947838
No that would be Fusion

Prime Trilogy takes place after Metroid/Zero Mission
>>
>>341947356
Dude you post about video games on 4chan. Literally everyone here could be called autistic for that. Is being concerned about a series you've loved literally since you started gaming, a series that's stayed pretty damn solid for well over twenty years, really all that strange?

No matter how many shitty disappointments gaming has offered over the years, there was always that "Well at least the next Zelda will probably be good" feeling. Now? It doesn't even look like it's Zelda anymore. If it's good? That's great. But that feeling of security? Familiarity? That's gone.
>>
>>341947402
It's very derivative of BotW, but shit, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this.

>>341947545
*where Fusion left off
>>
>>341947838
>not knowing the well documented timeline

fuck you. you dont deserve to be here
>>
>>341947989
I don't have the obsess over video games and get emotionally attached to them in order to talk about them here
>>
>>341946734
Twilight princess did it too
>You found a purple rupee!
>But your wallet is full so you put it back

Every single fucking time
>>
>>341947989
Pretty much how I felt after prime raped metroid as bad as oddworld
>>
File: 1438258296250.png (59 KB, 1919x1063) Image search: [Google]
1438258296250.png
59 KB, 1919x1063
>>341949042
>>
File: guardianspider.jpg (30 KB, 249x258) Image search: [Google]
guardianspider.jpg
30 KB, 249x258
Sup
>>
File: 1390120725324.png (7 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1390120725324.png
7 KB, 400x400
>>341949690
he was never that hard and I don't understand this meme

same with boost guardian

Emperor Ing on hyper mode difficulty is legit hard tho
>>
File: download (4).jpg (6 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
6 KB, 267x189
>>341938573
Every time I see BotW I get a sharp flash of nostalgia. Just realized why, back in the days of MotW.
>>
>>341945619
When you get a new function to the Sheikah Slate you can hear a modern open chest sound effect. They changed it to highlight the important items, the really important items.
>>
>>341938762
how is this bad?
>>
>>341946753
I'm a little to afraid of what Nintendo could do to Metroid if it's rebooted I think it would best to either make. Fusion sequel or lock Samus away for 10,000 years to wake up to a new universe different from what it was before.
>>
>>341950472
I don't think he was trying to say that.

Personally I feel like open-world Metroid and Mario games have a lot of potential.
>>
>>341952439
They definitely do, but I think an open world Metroid game should be in third person. It would finally be the main series true transition into 3D where Samus would her agility and all of her abilities.
>>
Sylux needs closure
>>
>>341938793
>>341938573
Zero Suit Link confirmed
>>
>>341938573
what, ruin it?

they already did.
>>
>>341938782
You can't delete anything on /v/ for some stupid reason. Only mods can delete posts. What you said is funny anyways so everything worked out.
>>
File: 1434086467882.jpg (54 KB, 480x371) Image search: [Google]
1434086467882.jpg
54 KB, 480x371
>>341945202
>Ultima 1
>never played it, hmm
>ok so an open world medieval RPG where you fight mythological monsters
>...and get phasers... and fly a spaceship and shoot down tie fighters
>...so a princess will tell you where a time machine is

The fuck is this game what? This is awesome.
>>
Modern Metroid:
>lonely first person scifi horror atmosphere (imagine running away from an SA-X type monster in first person)
>story mostly told by item descriptions and audio logs like Dark Souls/Bioshock
>Mirror's Edge/Titanfall style first person platforming/running
>no Morph Ball (?)
>>
File: 1464143128467.gif (2 MB, 243x199) Image search: [Google]
1464143128467.gif
2 MB, 243x199
Post YFW am2r comes out this christmas
>>
>>341955856
They should bring Ultima back. That sounds interesting.

>>341957798
>>no Morph Ball (?)
Everything sounds good but this. For as 'ridiculous' as the Morph Ball is, it's a huge part of the Metroid series and bring so much to the series. If anything, we need more Morph Ball abilities and upgrades.
>>
>>341957979
I don't hate the Morph Ball but it looks kind of silly in 3d, and I don't think the morph ball sections really bring a lot to the 3d games. Obviously it is a iconic part of the series and I'd be sad to see it go, but the new Zelda makes me feel like removing some iconic elements can be a good thing.

It could be replaced by extended platforming/movement mechanics maybe, or new types of puzzles.
>>
>>341958431
>it looks silly so it should leave
No, fuck you. The Morph Ball is important and is a necessary part of exploring alien worlds for Samus, because it allows her to reach tight spaces and corridors and such. It even has stealth capabilities considering the part where you infiltrated the Pirate's base in it in MP2.

There's so much with level design you can do with the Morph Balls. It's a pretty dynamic part of the series.
>>
>>341947149
This!

Lords of shadows anyone?
>>
>>341958431
>It looks kind of silly
So does a robot with fuckhuge shoulders
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.