[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the only RPG where fate of the world isn't at stake?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 4BZBZB.jpg (218 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
4BZBZB.jpg
218 KB, 1280x688
Is this the only RPG where fate of the world isn't at stake?
Why is fate of the world always at stake in RPG games? Can't the world fuck off already?
>>
File: 1397407392200.jpg (25 KB, 415x313) Image search: [Google]
1397407392200.jpg
25 KB, 415x313
>>341929276
Saving the world's probably the easiest thing to make big fucking adventure out of, and Torment really tried to not be like other rpgs. Yeah it's a problem.
>>
Pretty much the easiest/laziest way to establish that the stakes are high. Getting you to care about the story when it only really affects a few characters is a lot more difficult by comparison. Also gives you a handy excuse to fight a lot of big/powerful entities to increase drama.
>>
Fallout?
I don't know what you're trying to imply here but there are tons of games where you're some incredibly important hero.
What about shadowrun?
>>
>>341929276
>Is this the only RPG where fate of the world isn't at stake?

In Geneforge you just want to get off an island.
>>
>>341930263
>Fallout?

You mean that game where you had to stop an army of supermutants from wiping everyone out?
>>
>>341930186
But just so we're clear, just because something may be "harder" to do in fiction does not make it necessarily better from a storytelling standpoint. There could be a lot of reasons why stopping the reapers may be more engaging than learning about a gay teenager who never leaves the house.
>>
>>341930007
The best stories are those that have a very small stake in the grand scheme of things, but very large stake for the protagonist, personally. And then, at the end, the protagonist has a choice between doing the "good" thing and affecting the grand scheme they care very little about or doing the "selfish" thing they care a lot about and letting the big picture fall to ruin.

It's cliche, but I love it every time.
>>
>>341930292
Geneforge itself is a pretty big deal and you can wreck some serious shit depending on what you do with it.
>>
>>341930842
Do you have any specific examples? I'm not sure I completely understand the kind of story you are describing.
>>
>>341930263
>Fallout
New Vegas maybe. You save millins of lives in every Fallout, in New Vegas you 'just' decide political landscape of a country for the next hundred years
>>
>>341930746

This is true, all common tropes can be good if executed well, and the opposite is also true. But if the question is why the we gotta save the world thing is so common in vidya, that's pretty much it, in addition to it usually supporting desired gameplay elements that involve a lot of fighting fairly well.
>>
>>341929276
>Is this the only RPG where fate of the world isn't at stake?
no, of course not, what a stupid question, have you played like 5 rpgs?
Also, arguably the world is at stake in PS:T though
>>
>>341931050
You can, but technically speaking dealing with the Geneforge is not your goal, you just want to fuck off. And absolutely nothing stops you from simply doing that and nothing more.
>>
>>341931072
>A farmers wife gets kidnapped
>Farmer sets out on a long journey of self-improvement to rescue her
>Many years later he finds his wife, but a plot device forces him to make a choice between rescuing her and saving the world
>>
Legend of Grimrock.

Unless you like, actually think that cube is a fucking matter of life and death for the world.
>>
>>341931172
NV isn't fate of the world, but it sure is fate of the entire West Coast. It's good that while all the main endings have pretty big consequences, you can just ignore all of that with Yes Man
>>
Baldur's Gate kinda
>>
>>341932805
You stop a guy from getting millions killed and becoming a murder god. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as "saving the world".
>>
>>341933075
>I'm pretty sure that qualifies as "saving the world".
You're wrong
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.