[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Red pill me on The Last Guardian and why every one is in love with it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (602 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
602 KB, 1920x1080
Red pill me on The Last Guardian and why every one is in love with it
>>
Beat it newfriend
>>
you must be 18 or older to browse this-

aw fuck even 18fags are probably too young to know this shit

why am i here
>>
Google it kid
>>
>>341904329
Icofags. This game will never live up to the hype.
>>
memefags drunk on nostalgia

nothing to see here
>>
>>341904549
>>341904796
Probably older than both of you
>>
>>341904329
>>341907180
Fuck off.
>>
>>341904329
that bird thing looks cute as fuck man
>>
>>341904549
>>341907180
>>341907306
You know what's funny? I'm actually probably older than anyone else in this thread.
>>
>>341907460
doubt it kiddo...
>>
>>341907460
it's expected, /v/ has probably the youngest underage people out of all containment boards, get used to it
>>
>>341907306
Rude
>>
>>341907460
And yet, you behave like a child who is unable to stop posting when someone told you to fuck off.
Now please leave.
>>
A long long time ago some devs at PlayStation made a couple of decent but flawed artsy fartsy games and TLG has been in development for a decade now so people are excited through a combination of nostalgia and building hype over the years.
Based on previews and everything we've seen lately though the game is going to be mediocre as hell and extremely underwhelming.
>>
>>341907764
He's not OP faggot
>>
because Team ICO
both of their games have aged horribly and were overrated to begin with
>>
>>341907863
Thank you
>>
>>341904329
cuz muh Ico/Shadow of the Colossus trilogy
>>
Cat-dog-bird monster has independent AI that mimics pets.
Fumito Ueda-san, the creator of the game said he based off its behavior to his own pet cat, saying he studied its behavior for many years.

I guess its adventuring with a giant pet that may or may not do your wishes, but will protect you like man's best friend if you are in danger.
Its not for everyone. More people like Shadow of the Colossus than Ico, and Ico was the game where you had an AI partner.
I guess this time instead of holding your girl friend's hand, your pet guides you as much as you lead it.
>>
>>341908556
Really? That's some dedication on his part I suppose
>>
>>341908087
*hands you a noose*
>>
People liked ICO
People loved SOTC

People are hyped for the new game because of their love for these.
>>
>>341904329
Because they waited nearly 10 years for it, thats literally the only reason.
This is also the same reason why Sony just rushes out the shit they currently have even when its shit because people will buy it.
>>
ICO deserves appreciation as one of the first 3D art games and for its great visuals, soundtrack, and story/atmosphere, but the gameplay was bad on release and even worse today.

SotC however is some flawed shit. The most obvious problem is that the game has nothing but bosses, yet still has bosses that are shitty. Beyond that, you have the insanely empty and linear 'open world' comprised of nothing but tiny hallways because the PS2 has shit hardware compared to GCN and Xbox, the lack of content in that world, the insanely bad European version of the game that FOR SOME REASON the HD version is based off of, the compass that doesn't even show you the way to the bosses, and subpar controls.
>>
It's from Team Ico, the only people other than Kojima to actually do cinematic movie games right.
>>
>>341908556
>will protect you like man's best friend if you are in danger.
But that's absolutely nothing like what a cat does.
>>
>>341909169
I lurked /v/ just before E3 and stumbled upon http://i imgur com/5DJNj0U.gif
Cats in general are pretty unpredictable I'd say. I used to have two of them, and a loyal dog too prior to the cats. Pets just have different needs. Cats have a higher tendency to patrol your house's perimeter and hunt for smaller life like bugs and mice. Maybe that was just my cats though.
>>
>>341910212
That picture has been explained a billion times. The cat was defending it's territory, hence why it immediately stopped chasing the dog once it ran from the driveway.

The cat didn't give a fuck about the kid, it just saw something aggressive in it's domain and attacked it. Cat's are not loyal, and they don't display the majority of traits that most domesticated animals do. The only reason they stick around humans is because they get free food and comfort.
>>
>>341911038
And how do you know this?
>>
>>341904329
People liked the previous games in the series.
>>
>>341911912
I am a veterinary technician that specializes in treating cats, and a few other animals.

Cats aren't even considered to be "domesticated" in the traditional sense like Dogs, or even other predatory animals like Ferrets. The only reason cats stick around or show any affection is because they know it'll get them something. Food, water, attention, etc.

You take all that away from a dog and it'll become sad, listless, and wonder what it did to be punished. It'll attempt to please you in order to gain your admiration.

You do the same thing to a cat and it'll just find somewhere else to live or attack you. Granted, the dog will attack you too if you don't feed it for a very extended period of time, but that's survival instinct and hunger turning it aggressive.
>>
>>341904329
It feels fresh from all the boring, over the shoulder camera, post apocalyptic with gritty realistic graphics we've been getting, or were shown off at E3. I already loved Shadow of the Colossus and Ico was alright too so I'm also excited to play The Last Guardian.
>>
File: 2016-04-26_08-01-39.png (41 KB, 315x363) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-26_08-01-39.png
41 KB, 315x363
>>341904329
This game has been in development since the PS3 was announced. People literally bought a PS3 just to play this game.

The fact it actually has a release date is fucking amazing.
>>
>>341913216
Same with Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Here all three got moved to the PS4.
Talk about getting cucked out of $599.99
>>
File: shit shadows and lighting.jpg (365 KB, 2528x688) Image search: [Google]
shit shadows and lighting.jpg
365 KB, 2528x688
>>341913216
To top it all off it got downgraded:

Trico's feathers are more numbered now but smaller, I think it looks a lot worse.
Fog and color grading was changed drastically. Environments look fullbright now most of the time or just bad.
They added more bloom to the game and it's not the good kind.
Less particle effects(dust and dirt for example).

Here's smoke being downgraded and you can clearly see the lighting is completely downgraded as he climbs up the tail. Basically 10x less shadowing now.
https://youtu.be/0i0TV5r0CSc?t=193
https://youtu.be/zXLZvsSmBIs?t=310

Trico doesn't even cast shadows on his own body anymore and there shadows on the temple barely exist.
https://youtu.be/zXLZvsSmBIs?t=106
https://youtu.be/bbhwNI8LiWs?t=69

Unlit braziers so no smoke, shitty environment lighting again(look inside the building, HDR is fucking gone), and Trico still has no self-shadows.
https://youtu.be/zXLZvsSmBIs?t=374
https://youtu.be/bbhwNI8LiWs?t=94

As always, the lighting and shadows are less striking.
https://youtu.be/JG854AzOHqw?t=66
https://youtu.be/bbhwNI8LiWs?t=18

This is a disgrace, after nearly 10 years of Sony talking about this game it's finally a reality but it doesn't look any better than what we saw back then, it looks worse. The downgrading is real.

The game looks almost identical to how it was before but without fog and shadows mainly.
>>
>>341913778
Just wait until it's released on the PS5
>>
>>341913778
Are you fucking kidding me? This shit looks somehow worse on the fucking PS4 than it did on the PS3?
>>
>>341914240
It should be obvious enough that the game was never run on PS3 hardware.
>>
>>341914347
And how does that excuse the PS4 not looking like that?
>>
>>341914412
It doesn't, but at the same time it's not surprising either.

ICO and SotC ran pretty awful for how mediocre they looked, so people shouldn't really expect high-quality visuals, outside of aesthetics, from the makers of those games.
>>
>>341912803
Guess that ruins my fantasy of my cat really liking me ;_;
>>
Because its a game for weeb hipsters that want to look deep and this board is full of those fags
>>
>>341913778
trico is still self-shadowed. it's hard to see all the time because the sun is straight above, but it's visible. like when trico jumps across and then turns around, you can see his wings cast shadows onto himself. in a few other areas too, it's visible.
>10x less shadowing now.
it's because they're entirely *in* a shadow until trico jumps up to the top place. in shadow, the only lighting stuff being done is realtime AO. combined with bright ambient light and you've got something ugly. the light casting a shadow once trico is safe on the platform is an "artificial" spot light being pointed more straight toward trico. that's why it only casts shadows on that platform and not anywhere below. it's not consistent with the sunlight, and not the same angle and intensity as the comparison pic on the left. the spotlight is weak and pretty ugly for it, and i honestly can't fathom why they added an extra light instead of just having the sun point at a more attractive angle. in the older picture, they actually have the sunlight there. you can see the light/shadows the game has during the previous parts of the video, when they're in the sun, which looks closer to the old stuff.i think you're definitely right about the hdr though, actually it may be the cause of all the problems. without hdr, higher contrast shadows would make dark areas simply impossible to see into, and thus they had to make ambient light brighter to compensate, and so we have a flatter-looking game for it..
>>
>>341904329
>why every one is in love with it
Play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
This might give you a hint.
>>
>>341908087
I played SotC for the first time in December and I think it's my favorite game of all times now.
>>
>>341909007
"art games"
oh there is this meme again. ICO had great level design and an interesting core gameplay but that's it.
>>
>>341904329
Partly due to hype (though I have trouble seeing it, compared to the hype machine of other games like DNF and Fallout 4),

I'm a pretty big Icofag. Though due to this:
>>341913778

and, Though graphics are secondary, the general timing of the release, it seems like this might not be a game that would due justice to the quality of the past titles (though that's up to you, as many see Ico as a mediocre game with a great atmosphere).

In short, I think Sony pushed/rushed the development of this during the drought of games a few months back, hoping it would satiate expecting owners of PS4s.

Keep in mind they took people off this project to work on Knack of all fucking games, which really demonstrated their faith in this product. Not that they necessarily make good calls, but this was not a priority for them and I got a gut feeling Team Ico was pushed to shit it out.
>>
>>341908087
It's been so long, obviously Ueda is there but how many of Ico and Colossus' other creators are still on this one?
>>
>>341904329
I'm happy to spend $80 on a nice world. fuck no one's been able to make environments as comfy as sotc or ico since so I'm psyched
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.