[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? Did they simply need to practice converting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11
What went wrong?

Did they simply need to practice converting Symphony of the Night's fluid and marvelous artstyle to the GBA?
Aria of Sorrow feels alot more refined in pretty much every artistic direction, and it's on the same platform.
>>
JUSTE
>>
Alucard had some wonky stuff going on with his own sprites in some regards.
>>
>>341902570
>Did they simply need to practice converting Symphony of the Night's fluid and marvelous artstyle to the GBA?

Did you forget about Circle of the Moon?
>>
Circle of the Moon came out first and was far better. It's simply a case of shitting out games on a tight timeframe based on brand recognition.
>>
>>341902570
Harmony of Dissonance tried to be like Symphony of the Night conventionally, but then tried copying the aesthetics and sound of the classic games. It fell short on both, but introduced enough of it's own functions that led to an enjoyable game.

Aria of Sorrow is still better, though.
>>
>>341903090
But this really takes the cake.
>>
>>341902570
Nothing is the best castlevania on gba
>>
>>341903093
>>341903104
Circle of the Moon was a launch title for the GBA so I think they advanced very cautiously onto the platform which you can see in the gameboy-color-tier sprites.
The step they took from CotM to HoD feels alot more unrefined than the step from HoD to AoS, as if they didn't know how to take it.
>>
>I like HoD unironically

It was pretty fun and had a twisted horror vibe to ti
>>
>>341904250
I just meant as a game.
But the fact that CoM looks better despite its limitation is pretty hilarious.
>>
>>341904498
>Looks better

Whoa now don't get too nostalgic.
>>
Is there actually some truth behind the rumor that HoD started out as a console title that then got extremely scaled down into a handheld game?
>>
>>341904454
They took the word "dissonance" very literal when composing the music, which makes it very...unique.
Although I have to say it's at least an interesting idea to explore.
Some of the tracks are alright, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3y7S6YmUFg
>>
>>341904654
>More frame/color = better look

I mean, maybe if you're one of those numbskulls who thinks 3D inherently trumps 2D and more detail is always better. Art direction and implementation are seriously important.

HoD looks like ass, no two ways about it. CoM looks like an upgraded GBC game, but it does that aesthetic well.
>>
>>341905174
It's a shame, because it's an idea that runs contrary to most video game composition. It could have been a real gem of a soundtrack.
>>
File: soma_cruz_by_kramgnauh-d3et7gd.gif (30 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
soma_cruz_by_kramgnauh-d3et7gd.gif
30 KB, 400x400
Why do none of the pixel Metroidvanias actually have running sprites that don't look awkward in some way?
I know that enlarging the sprite like this brings out flaws that aren't very visible in gameplay, but how hard could it have been to actually study anatomically correct running?
>>
I don't care that CotM looked better it felt really clunky. The whole game just felt heavier and movement felt stiff compared to other games in the series. Like if you had the control of the nes games in a metroidvania.
>>
>>341907297
I prefer that to the blandness of HoD, personally. It's not refined like Aria, but it's an interesting bridge between both the Classic and Post-Symphony series as well as the GBA and GBA titles in terms of design.
>>
File: image.png (934 KB, 3840x2560) Image search: [Google]
image.png
934 KB, 3840x2560
worst CastleKino ever
>>
>>341907285

Charlotte's running sprite is fine.

I don't recall anything being wrong with Shanoa's either.
>>
File: Dracula2hod.gif (5 KB, 115x133) Image search: [Google]
Dracula2hod.gif
5 KB, 115x133
>yfw this shit appeared
>>
>>341907884
However, this is the BEST CastleKino ever and will buy a copy on Amazon
>>
>>341903090
what's wrong with Alucard?

all i'm seeing is a 16-frame smooth as fuck walk cycle
>>
File: image.jpg (289 KB, 1000x984) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289 KB, 1000x984
>>341908160
Forgot pic
>>
File: urgent need for the bathroom.gif (31 KB, 252x228) Image search: [Google]
urgent need for the bathroom.gif
31 KB, 252x228
>>341903090
>>341903195
>>341904250
>>341907285
Step aside, now THIS is the BEST castlewalk ever.
>>
File: image.png (537 KB, 4096x3584) Image search: [Google]
image.png
537 KB, 4096x3584
>>341908270
And that this is worst Classic Kino / CastleLudos ever
>>
harmony's castle is overdesigned
>>
it was a bit on the easy side

but other than that, not much
>>
>>341908203
It looks good, yes, but its pretty unrealistic.
Running in the real world doesn't look like that, the torso is way too stiff in the animation and nobody circles their arm like that when running.
>>
File: 1445134763289.gif (11 KB, 89x144) Image search: [Google]
1445134763289.gif
11 KB, 89x144
>>341908976
What about this?
>>
>>341908976
you can't have a castlevania without a hunched over walk-cycle with weird arm movement anon

it just doesn't work
>>
>>341909152
The shoulder axle rotation is too strong and the rythm of the steps is too smooth.
I'm definitely not saying these are bad sprites, they look great ingame, but find me one real actual human who walks like this naturally and I'll eat a whip.
>>
>>341902570
Harmony of Dissonance is a carbon copy of Symphony right down to the characters and story.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.