[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello. Is it possible to believe in videogames as a madium?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7
File: dvar - hishmalin.jpg (3 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
dvar - hishmalin.jpg
3 MB, 3872x2592
Hello.

Is it possible to believe in videogames as a madium?

Do you believe in the influence of videogames?
>>
File: the dvar is known all across.jpg (71 KB, 636x423) Image search: [Google]
the dvar is known all across.jpg
71 KB, 636x423
>>341900625
>madium

My apologies, i meant medium.
>>
>>341900625
>>341901164
No, I don't believe in any sort of video games medium. What is this "video games" you are talking about? This is /v/ - Shitposting, after all.

A bit more seriously, is English not your first language? Because that is somewhat awkward phrasing.
>>
File: dhvar - aoheth.jpg (167 KB, 637x900) Image search: [Google]
dhvar - aoheth.jpg
167 KB, 637x900
>>
File: Dvar- Yadah Beh.png (31 KB, 220x251) Image search: [Google]
Dvar- Yadah Beh.png
31 KB, 220x251
>>341901619
I know the concept of the video games is not foreign here.

I was just wandering if it is conceptually acceptable to the people here.

No, sorry english is not my first language.
>>
File: anything.jpg (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
anything.jpg
27 KB, 400x400
>>
File: beejeez.jpg (437 KB, 800x851) Image search: [Google]
beejeez.jpg
437 KB, 800x851
>>
File: Leim.jpg (202 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Leim.jpg
202 KB, 800x533
>>
>>341900625
Yes and yes, any other response its just /v/ trying to force video games into one thing and one thing only.
>>
>>341902325
>No, sorry english is not my first language.
Fair enough. It's a bit difficult to answer because I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

Yes, I think video games can (and do) influence people, although probably not directly or in ways that media tends to imply. Exceptionally young individuals can be influenced by video games, much like any other media, but the age for that is generally only the very young (around 5-7 or younger) or for people who have mental problems distinguishing between fantasy and reality.

Outside that? Video games do not influence people directly. Playing a violent video game isn't going to make someone violent. Playing a sexually charged video game isn't going to make someone more forward sexually. In fact, studies indicate it is mostly the opposite - that people who enjoy playing violent video games tend to be less violent overall. The current assumption is that it the interactive video game is a cathartic release, where some people don't feel impulsively violent when they can beat up digital enemies to release that.

The question of "does a media (like video games) influence a society?" is a bit trickier to answer. Being subjected to a lot of the same media can adjust your thinking towards that media, if only in small ways. If everything around you indicates that punching people is a valid form of resolution, then people consuming it would be inclined to think that punching people is valid. If everything indicates that it is okay to be a racist fuck against black people, then people exposed to only that are more likely to be racist fucks. It's more difficult to determine the exact effect there, because it could just be an isolation effect that's happening - people can easily change their ideas when not subjected to the single influence. Also, "video games" in general are not as isolating as that.
>>
>>341904897
Also, popular media can reflect the values of a society. Although in this case, it is more an after-effect, where looking back can show what a particular society valued at that time by what was popular and what the people valued, rather than what was being produced. Looking at what is currently being advertised doesn't tell us much about this effect, though. You may see nothing but CoD and Battlefront advertisements now, but that doesn't mean anything outside those companies having a lot of money to throw around.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.