[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Underrail
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: underrail.jpg (368 KB, 1680x1051) Image search: [Google]
underrail.jpg
368 KB, 1680x1051
What went wrong jacks?
>>
Nothing? I dumped plenty of hours into it. Did some update break it I haven't played in two months probably.
>>
its been over half a year since release
still no modding kit
mods are essential for single player RPGs like this
>>
>>341901183
Ah good point.
>>
Nothing.

>>341900575
Last patch was about two months ago, so nope.

>>341901183
Underrail will not have a modding kit. It would be too much trouble for them. Styg wrote the engine from a scratch, and it is not flexible or user friendly in the slightest.
>>
>>341901867
>Styg wrote the engine from a scratch, and it is not flexible or user friendly in the slightest
i guess he fucked up there then. mods would bring much more life to this game and get more people interested in paying for it.
>>
>>341901978
I'm not sure. It's niche even amongst niche. Games that target small audiences can very rarely get an active mod community going.
>>
>>341900194
Starting it off with a trial.
Dropped.
>>
>>341900194
too hard for neo-/v/
>>
>>341900194
I dunno, I enjoyed it a lot.
>>
>>341900194
He catered to RPG fans and not normies
>>
>>341900194
The merchant system, having to make the rounds every so often to sell stuff or find crafting materials was time consuming busywork.

Merchants buying only specific items was fine but they never had any money, sell them two high end guns/armors and they are out of cash while i still have 20 of those fuckers to sell.

Also the fact the dev nerfed knife builds to the ground when they already were inferior to unarmed, had to actually pirate the earlier version just to enjoy the game which is silly.
>>
>>341903874
It was surprising how little money even big merchants, like the oligarchs' insider stores had. But on the other hand you don't need more money than that after the tutorial anyway. After a while I didn't even repair looted equipment, and left the best stuff behind because I knew I could not sell them for their actual value unless I trade them in for something else.

To be fair there is only one series I ever played where money was an actual meaningful resource that you always wanted more of.
>>
>>341904598
I played a build that used infused leather armor and tabi boots so super steel was a pretty big money sink, you need to spend a lot of stygian coins to get high quality supersteel since it's random.
>>
>>341905035
Ah, yeah. I'm not going to lie, I savescummed for super steel. I had like six or seven rows of charons just from casually dropping by vendors every once in a while so it wasn't really necessary, but whatever. At that time Underrail threads were still going strong so that was a good distraction while waiting. And in the end I got lucky, got nearly max quality steel on my third try.
>>
honestly I think a lot of people got put off by the mediocre visuals
no matter how good your gameplay is, its really hard to market it compared to visuals, especially without any form of marketing budget
it doesn't really have anything eyecatching so vast majority of its exposure was through word of mouth, if not for /v/ I'd have missed out on what's now one of my favorite games
>>
>>341904598
>To be fair there is only one series I ever played where money was an actual meaningful resource that you always wanted more of.

Really liked that aspect of the game, made all the profitable but ambiguous options vastly more interesting than in other rpg's
>>
>>341906236
It was the main reason that pushed me to accept Abram's offer. I was completely out of cash from buying grenades and learning psi, had nothing left to sell, and Depot A was a scary place.

God bless his soul for paying me so well. Even if he is an atheist.
>>
>>341903386

It was very popular when it was released, there's just not anything to talk about anymore.
>>
>>341905930
Anyone put off by the graphics wouldn't be interested in the game anyways
>>
>>341907023
no, I don't think so
and its not just about being put off by the graphics, its about not grabbing attention quickly

there's a hundred games coming out every single day, and you need something to grab people's attention. Graphics are a very good way of doing so be it by being good, unique or original. Gameplay based value needs to be spread actively, and the only active spread this game could afford was word of mouth.
People who aren't part of dedicated vidya communities like /v/ won't hear of it sadly enough.
>>
>>341907023
I was incredibly put off by the graphics when I originally stumbled upon the official site some months before release. Much like with >>341905930, it was the word of mouth that convinced me to check it out anyway. There were some anons here who played the alpha and kept insisting very hard that it will be great. Those guys are fucking heroes.
>>
Absolutely nothing. One of my favorite games of all time.

Wish there were more turnbased iso rpgs.
>>
>>341903874
WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T BUY 17 ASSAULT RIFLES. WHAT KIND OF MERCHANT ARE YOU? WHAT IS WRONG WITH UNDERRAIL!?
>>
>>341907635
personally I bought the game after pirating, was initially skeptical even after recommendations
ended up liking it and buying

I wonder if for games like this piracy leads to more or less sales, would be interesting to find out given its a situation where literally every single sale counts
>>
>>341907420
>>341907635
>People who aren't part of dedicated vidya communities like /v/ won't hear of it sadly enough.

Thats the thing, this game is aimed at people who played Fallout 1,2 and older RPGs and still clinge to those memories.

We are talking about communities like RPGWatch, RPGCodex, a very minor part of /v/ because /v/ is casual as fuck but has no problems calling other people casuals and the one or two guys who want real RPGs.

The game never was meant to be a huge success among normal players.
>>
>>341907997
>that one super slow guy in the major city trying to sell his junk to all the merchants
laughed, remembered at first I was hoarding all the equipment I found before realizing my folly, then laughed even harder
>>
>>341908124
its difficult sure but that's not as much a deciding factor as you'd think it is
at its core it has incredibly solid gameplay that manages difficulty without ever becoming frustrating
with a good or unique artstyle I could easily have seen this game sell double or triple what it managed now
>>
>>341907997
>he is overjoyed when you tell him about the DC warehouses and calls you his only friend ever
>suddenly remember that psi beetles at the cave entrance respawn

RIP
>>
>>341908014
No idea, I have a suspicion not many even gave it a pirate. Kind of depressing. There were two articles about the game on major vidya news sites in my native language, and even an interview with Styg a few weeks later, but they barely even got any hits, none of the three had a single comment, and if you search for the game there is only one forum thread with four replies, three made by the OP:
>Hey, this was one of the best games in a very long time. How come no one is talking about it?
>Eh, it doesn't look too interesting, who cares.
>Yeah, but classic rpgs and tabletop are really popular around here so it's weird.
>(two months later) So I'm really the only one here played it? That's sad.

And then the thread was ded. That's all the reaction my country had to Underrail. Of course not counting those who post on foreign sites. We produce quite a lot of Codex members for example.
>>
nothing, its perfect

looking forward to the sequel
>>
>>341909916
I wonder how much the game would have sold with better visuals and perhaps some gaming news sites or maybe a popular streamer picking up on it
oh well, at least it does justify coming to /v/, wading through the shit is worth finding the occasional diamond
>>
>>341900194
Shitty end-game section, lacklustre ending.
>>
>>341911340
Also too much filler combat.
>>
>>341910303
That's an interesting question, it probably would have sold better, but it might depend on luck. Serpent in the Staglands had an art style with much more mass appeal, yet it sold abysmally, more so than some games that are usually considered ugly like AoD. Or look at ADOM, that one sold more than double the amount than SitS too, and I can't imagine it won its players with graphics.

So fuck if I know. Maybe. Maybe not.
>>
>>341911628
>Serpent in the Staglands had an art style with much more mass appeal
I absolutely don't think so. Serpent in the Staglands is too pixelated and uses a shitty font. Not to mention that its gameplay is far from mass compatible.

Underrail looks perfectly fine and it uses a turn-based system where pretty much anyone who has ever played a turn-based RPG or squad tactics games like X-COM or JA2 will immediately feel at home.
>>
File: b_ 11.png (944 KB, 1141x675) Image search: [Google]
b_ 11.png
944 KB, 1141x675
>>341912206
It looks fairly atmospheric though, and has the added benefit of being fantasy which tends to be more popular than post-apocalyptic. It should appeal to a wider audience. But then the sales don't back this up, so maybe you are right, and it really does look bad to the general public.

As for gameplay, do you research it before picking up an rpg? You might know the basics, but do you research anything beyond that? It's probably the first impression that decides whether you give it more than a quick glance.
>>
I was thinking about buying it but the forced discussion threads made me not want to

When a bunch of guys are trying to keep the same constantly dying thread open with dumb reddit-tier memes (LE GET IN LE HERE LE JACKS XD) it makes the game look bad in general
>>
>>341913409
It looks so bad, they went for a VGA look that absolutely no one is nostalgic about.
>>
>>341913602
lmaoing at you senpai
>>
File: 1454949689816.jpg (50 KB, 599x463) Image search: [Google]
1454949689816.jpg
50 KB, 599x463
>>341900194
undertale is way better than this garbage game
>>
>>341913891
It looks pretty good m8
>>
File: cd.png (2 MB, 1500x843) Image search: [Google]
cd.png
2 MB, 1500x843
>>341912206
>>341913409
speaking of SitS, copper dreams got funded
>>
>>341914126

>i posted it again
>>
>>341914217
I backed it for 25 bucks
>>
>>341914217
Oh shit, thanks for bringing this up. My payment didn't clear the first time, I'll have to check if it went through today or I let Whalenought down.
>>
File: frogposting scum.png (146 KB, 500x560) Image search: [Google]
frogposting scum.png
146 KB, 500x560
>>341914126
>>
I haven't played since february, it's there a way to go back to the old font? Don't like the new one.
>>
>>341901867
>Styg wrote the engine from a scratch, and it is not flexible or user friendly in the slightest.

It's okay if Bethesda
>>
>>341916553
Not unless you go back to an earlier build. There were some issues with the old font that forced them to change it. My guess is there were some licensing problems or something. The point is, they didn't have a choice. You can get used to it fairly quick, but I preferred the old one too. For me some punctuation is barely visible with the new one and it annoys me to no end.
>>
>>341903665
He catered to a very particular RPG fan.
The few in that niche really enjoyed it though.
>>
I've had this installed for a while, this thread makes me want to start up a game. Anything in particular I should know?
>>
>>341900194
Not enough gore. Its joyless
>>
>>341911516
Cant you avoid combat for the most part?
>>
>>341918993
I think there are only three times in the game where you absolutely must kill to finish the main quest, but avoiding combat is not exactly recommended. The combat system is part of what makes this game so great in the first place. Skipping it would be like playing a pure archer in Gothic.
>>
>>341919389
But isnt that the entire point if the oddity leveling system? To not be forced fight all the time?
Im not saying there should be no combat, the world of Underrail is clearly not that kind of world, but you can use means to avoid most of the trash mobs if you need to
>>
>>341900194
Nothing. It's just a game made for a niche crowd with certain interest in mind, and once that scratch is itched for most people they go on with their lives.
>>
>>341919831
Oh, you can avoid trash mobs, no problem. There are not that many of them however. Anon was most likely thinking of respawns, which happen at specific areas with some creatures. Humans never respawn, and definitely not qualify as trash mobs.

Some oddities you can only get by fighting. Once you max out that type though feel free to just sneak past.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.