[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone managed to get their PS2 to play games from hard disk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Playstation2_slim_front.jpg (283 KB, 2048x1025) Image search: [Google]
Playstation2_slim_front.jpg
283 KB, 2048x1025
Has anyone managed to get their PS2 to play games from hard disk / USB? I have a slim SCPH-77004 and the laser is kinda fucked so I wanted to try it.
I've looked into and found the Open PS2 Loader but I'm not sure if it requires the FreeMcBoot and if it works on a slim PS2, the psx forums have always been lacking in that kind of info, or was written by broken english
>>
>>341866102
I have the same ps2. Using OPL is too slow by USB and I don't know if you can use a hard drive on the slims, but if you've got a freemcboot card it's the only way to get OPL working, I think.

Currently my setup is PS2 to ethernet, games are on my PC. Hoping to change that since my PC consumes a lot of power, though.
>>
>>341866408
Yea, I just found out about SMB after posting this thread, people say it's 100% faster because the USB 1.1 is so fucking slow compared to the network solution.
Honestly, that sounds an even better solution, this PS2 has an ethernet port so that's taken care of.
Might I ask what things did you need, so far the only requirements I'm seeing are FreeMcBoot and OPL, is that it?
Seen this guide https://versatile1.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/how-to-boot-games-off-network-smb-with-playstation-2-ps2-using-openps2loader-a-novice-guide/ , if you have any better, could you post?
Thanks for the answer
>>
If you have a phat PS2 you can get a 3.5 to 2.5 IDE adapter, then a 2.5 IDE to SD card adapter so you can play games from a SD card. It's easily hot swappable too.
>>
>>341866646
No problem. Yeah, all I needed was a Free McBoot card (got it off ebay for 10$) and an ethernet cable to my router and the latest OPL.

That's a good guide to go on, but just so you know firewalls can be tricky depending on your setup. YMMV really, but it shouldn't take more than an hour to get set up.
>>
Just use your PC or laptop to play it in 1080p 120fps
>>
Probably a dumb question, but I never found a definitive answer: is there a way to output the video from the console to, say, my laptop screen? All I got is that three plug cable.
>>
>>341867232
you need a capture card, it's a device that you hook up to the video output of the console and the other end goes to your PC
>>
I still use the old fashioned DVD's (really showing my age here)

I'd like to find an ethernet adapter for the sake of the optical drive but they're rare and expensive
>>
>>341867403
The network adapters are $5-10, where are you looking for them?
>>
>>341867403
Nothing wrong with DVDs, hell I'd use them exclusively had the PS2 drives not been built so shoddily. Still have some PTSD from constant disc read errors from several ps2s I own.
>>
>>341868068
the UK
>>
>>341867364
Well fuck, I'd hoped it would be something as simple as a cable.
>>
>>341868308
yea, sadly it's not
there are some cheap ones, but most of the times they're worth buying because they are absolutely horrifying or impossible to set up due to shit software they come with.
I know I bought a real cheap cap card once for the PS3, and the software it came with was absolute shit and the drivers did not work, probably because it didn't have proper windows 7 support even though it claimed to have.
I spent 2 days fucking around with it to finally get it to work (somewhat) but after that whole process I lost all will to play
>>
>>341868285
Tried checking your craigslist or local retro game store? I'm from Canada and I'm not located around a big ctiy and I got mine for $10 and I've see people selling them afterwards for $5.
>>
File: av-to-usb-adapter-cable.jpg (29 KB, 1000x567) Image search: [Google]
av-to-usb-adapter-cable.jpg
29 KB, 1000x567
>>341867232
This will do
it's very cheap and works okay for things up to 480p

although, the image on your laptop will be in realtime, but it will suffer slight latency
the optimal things to do is split the video cable, one to the capture device and the other to your TV

there are more expensive options, but this works well
>>
>>341869167
actually anon, that is exactly the piece of shit I was talking about in this post >>341868767
>>
>>341869167
>suffer slight latency
Capture cards can have seconds of latency, a few expensive one got ok latency now days.
>>
Loading games off USB (the ps2 has an ancient slow usb 1.0 port) would make load times way slower compared to DVD. Cut scenes will jitter, textures and scenery pop in, etc...
You should really either replace the laser or just use an emulator
Also note, that if you order a replacement laser, you will need a soldering iron to unsolder the antistatic blob. It's not hard at all, literally just swipe off the connection, but you do need an iron.
>>
What's the date code on your PS2? It should be a number and a letter, such as 5D.
>>
>>341869573
I've moved on to the network solution, seems like a much better idea and maybe even easier to set up than the hard disk one.

>>341869595
if I understood correctly what it is, should be 7B
>>
File: IMG_20160315_172058.jpg (458 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160315_172058.jpg
458 KB, 2592x1944
>>341869384
Use the drivers on the disc is comes with and it works perfectly with OBS
the hardware is fine and performs adequately, provided you have a basic understanding of software

pic is a slightly more expensive model
works as well as the other but it includes passthrough, so less mess
>>
>>341869889

OK that's fine. It's merely that 8C and later date codes do not support FreeMCBoot.

You should be fine to use FreeMCBoot.
>>
>>341870010
do I absolutely need a CD boot to install FreeMCBoot? I'm currently setting up things but am worried the laser is so fucked it won't be able to read it.
The laser doesn't seem to be completely fucked, since I managed to load some specific games few weeks ago, but still didn't load the majority of the old shit I had around. Could be defect discs, wouldn't really surprise me
>>
>>341870173

There's a whole bunch of ways to install FreeMCBoot.

But once it's installed, all you need to do is have the memory card in your console and it will load. There is no need for a bootdisc.
>>
File: 2740081_00.jpg (68 KB, 1000x681) Image search: [Google]
2740081_00.jpg
68 KB, 1000x681
>>341869910
I don't exactly remember how the process went, but I remember their software being completely shit and I don't think the drivers installed properly at all.
Back then, OBS didn't even exist(I think) so I barely managed to get vdub or something like that to work and show the picture
Also, there was no sound from what I remember so I used pic related and hooked it up to my line in jack and played back the sound

>>341870295
awesome, thanks
>>
Who /PS2HDD/ masterrace here?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.