[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so: Valve are literally offering developers the benefits offered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: file.png (380 KB, 520x690) Image search: [Google]
file.png
380 KB, 520x690
so: Valve are literally offering developers the benefits offered by exclusivity deals as leveraged by other content publishing platforms, while simultaneously refusing to enforce any form of the cancer on videogame development that is exclusivity.

Why do we hate them again?

oh yeah because they charge money for cosmetics and then use their cut of those cosmetic sales to pay the community content creators.

What jews, literally worse than EA
>>
>>341854543

I started to dislike Valve because they stopped focusing on singleplayer and started shitting up the steam store with trash and social media garbage. Not because of hats in shitty online games I don't even play.

But honestly that funding of devs like that is pretty based of them.
>>
File: Gabe_Newell_reddit.png (28 KB, 609x359) Image search: [Google]
Gabe_Newell_reddit.png
28 KB, 609x359
I can't wait for paid mods to be proposed again.
>>
File: 1465768326035.jpg (86 KB, 640x630) Image search: [Google]
1465768326035.jpg
86 KB, 640x630
>>341854543

play cs 1.6

then play cs:go

then come back here, and tell me how you feel about valve.
>>
>>341855110
eat poop and then eat poop and then come back and tell me how poop tastes like
>>
>>341855110
I'm glad they funded a game that resulted in a better counter strike game overall, but am sad that it's popularity is only due to cancerous skins.
>>
>>341855035

>plebbit.net screencap
>the word "fucking" blurred out

ty reddit
>>
>>341855035
I have no issue with paid mods. A lot of them are huge in terms of content and seriously worth it. If I could pay a dev to do a little more polishing on some of these than I gladly would.
>>
>>341855308

please post with a trip from now on
>>
>>341854543
>Why do we hate them again?
because they don't make games
>>
>>341855035
Paid mods were a good idea exploited by shit community.

almost 99% of Valve ideas would be GOAT with oversight.
Valve is SHIT at fucking oversight, they cannot manage SHIT.
>>
>>341855308
>>341855565
If the mod authors want some cash they can go make a patreon
>>
>>341855565
>Paid mods were a good idea exploited by shit community.
I agree, it could've been a great opportunity for talented modders to make it their full-time occupation

but then again there's this >>341855681
>>
>Why do we hate them again

THEY DONT MAKE GAMES

THEY BARELY UPDATE GAMES

THEY MAKE THEIR OLD GAMES WORSE

THEY JUST HOST SHITTY ESPORTS EVENTS
>>
>>341855110
I think the whole game went to shit by 1.3-1.5.

However you've got to admire the balls Valve had with CS:GO. For everyone that doesn't know, csgo is actually an outsourced xbox port of css, which they've fucked up so much that it lost it's identity. Valve then came around and said they'll offer to implement steamworks and port it for the PC as well.

It's like dressing up an aborted baby, they should've just left it dead.
>>
>we'll give you some money to "avoid" exclusivity deals
>by the way, we own 98% of the PC marketplace so this "altruistic" move is clearly just motivated by an attempt to push Oculus out of the market

Valve is literally the worst fucking company in gaming right now. Nintendo at least has Zelda. M$ are porting their Xbone games to PC. Sony are funding dozens of games that otherwise wouldn't be made, or would be made to a worse standard.

Valve makes more money than all of the other divisions combined from their stranglehold grasp on the PC marketplace. So, what are they doing with this money? Improving service? No, the store still crashes on Steam sales. Improving prices? No, we're still paying over retail costs for digital games, and sales are becoming even more jewish every year. Improving quality control? Greenlight and EA has flooded the market with trash that took someone 2 minutes to create. Well, at least they're making games, right? Oh, no, they're not even doing that, because it doesn't make as much money as selling cosmetics or managing a glorified stock market.
>>
>>341856152
>M$ are porting their Xbone games to PC
They're not porting their games to PC. Xbox games run on XNA, which is a SDK that runs natively on windows with .net. There's very little actual porting involved and as far as I can tell those games are windows 10 exclusives anyway
>>
>>341855035
>a bunch of people who do nothing and contribute nothing denying modders the chance to earn some money for their work that's not just 'donations'

actually he's 100% right
>>
>>341856318
I don't understand your point. It'd be trivial for them to go "oh, we're not porting these games to Windows 10 for X years", but instead they're doing it right away. You know how many games could be ported in the blink of an eye these days?
>>
>>341855035
I thought the downvote/upvote system on reddit was meant to rate posts on their relevance to the subject matter at hand?

Not as a "I disagree strongly" button?
>>
>>341856705
Hahaha.

Oh you. They dont call it a hivemind for nothing.
>>
>>341855748
Exploited by the community? They were exploited more by the pittance mod authors would make with valve's payout policy and the cuts bethesda/zenimax & valve would receive on top of that. They didn't give a fuck about authors and it's disgusting they try to make it appear that way with plans to take the lion's share.
>>
>>341857939
>Lion's share
Bathesda gets the biggest share not Valve.

Valve gets the industry-standard 30%.
Same as they take on all their Steam-hosted paid content. Same as Apple takes on Apps. Same as literally anyone in the digital distribution industry.
>>
>>341855035
But the thing is, valve is able to take community feedback and realize their mistake and fix it

How long did it take for them to trash the idea of paid mods?
3 days? 4 days?

And they replaced it with an infinitely better system
>>
>>341855110
I'm not sure what your post is trying to say
>>
>>341854543
Just came to say that one day you will look back and find your over use of the word "literally" embarrassing.
>>
>>341856081
This

Fuck you valvedrones. And there's nothing wrong with exclusives, only poorfags utter these words
>>
>>341854543
well I honestly don't give a shit about VR
maybe I'll stop hating valve when they actually start making games again
>>
>>341859231
Notice I said and? Together they take a signifigant portion of what are typically cheap mods and the author only gets paid after some number of purchases, so if you sell beneath that threshold, it's free money for beth/zen/steam. One might believe they give a shit if it was merely 10% to pay for system upkeep and no payout threshold. This was merely a gross money grab and I'm concerned a few more years of conditioning and it will be okay. The industry has done a remarkable job with pre-orders, but there's more blood to drain from this cow.
>>
>>341854543
What is this a bad thing?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.