[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pillars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 24
File: pillurs.jpg (272 KB, 1235x694) Image search: [Google]
pillurs.jpg
272 KB, 1235x694
so how is it?
was it at least enjoyable, did you have fun?

what class?
>>
>>341852627
i did enjoy up until the last part.

then i have no fucking idea what happened, i lost any interest and could not for the life of me make it to the end. There was something in the last piece that turned me off completely.
I had to watch the ending on youtube.
>>
>>341852627
If I had a working computer l, I'd tell you
>>
>>341852627
It was okay

It has absolutely zero replay value though, despite all the classes and choices.

I'd buy it only if it went on sale.
>>
>>341852627
>was it at least enjoyable,
Is it bad that the most rewarding and fun part was the fact that I could have, build improve my own keep?

As soon as I found that part out I was like "FUCK Yeah!". Then the enjoyment of that died down, then when I got rekt again by some random pissweak generic enemies, I gave up on it.
>>
>>341852627
>so how is it?
It was alright. Better than average, but not very memorable. In fact I remember surprisingly little considering I played it for about 150 hours, That's a first.

>was it at least enjoyable, did you have fun?
Yeah, for the most part I had a good time.

>what class?
Cipher.
>>
>>341852627
It's the weakest Obsidian game that isn't just a paycheck job like DS3.

Even games like Alpha Protocol or others leave you with something to talk about and have something unique about them, this game is just there.

It feels like there is nothing to talk about.
>>
>>341852878
... thank for letting us know about your computer situation?
>>
I picked rogue and I feel completely useless.
The writing is great, but the battle system is a complete chore to play to me.
>>
>gave up on my playthrough after clearing the zombies in the city
>get an urge to pick up the game again
>remember the combat and character building

At least Tyranny looks promising.
>>
>only get exp by completing quests
>combat gives you no exp
>there's a fight every 5 steps
>>
>>341854589
I hated this shit
>>
>>341853531
I think the characters you can most talk about where pretty much the ones written by Avellone.

I still remember priestfriend telling my character that my race DESERVED slavery, but that's about it.
>>
File: 1446912415509.jpg (95 KB, 413x533) Image search: [Google]
1446912415509.jpg
95 KB, 413x533
>>341852627
the most boring shit i played last year
just go for wasteland 2
>>
How long it is ?
I'm 8 hours in, and it's really boring so far.
>>
>>341855468
about 30-40 if you rush it
>>
Yeah, it's okay, I guess. Get it in a sale.
>>
>>341854469
>At least Tyranny looks promising.

Can't wait for all those level scaled trash mobs!
>>
>>341854589
>you can't even run from most encounters
>even if you try to explore locations you will NEVER find anything interesting, ok cool there's a pack of lions guarding a shit axe you won't ever use
>instead of tweaking AI the highest difficulty adds more trash monsters
>you can't even be creative with encounters, remember scouting the area with summoned creatures in bg or making ambushes? well fuck you
>>
>>341855732
at least there's no Sawyer, hopefully they won't overbalance it
>>
>>341855468
A completionist run with all expansions would be well over 100 hours. But you'd have to be a masochist to do that.
>>
>>341855732
Got source on that statement?
>>
Chanter is OP as hell. Just run in circles, readying your ultimate abilities. I enjoyed the combat, until more members joined, and it became too easy.
>>
>>341852627
>so how is it?
mediocre
no.
>what class?
Paladin
>>
>>341855761
>remember scouting the area with summoned creatures in bg

Do you? In BG the fog of war doesn't clear for summoned creatures, so they are useless for scouting.
>>
I've tried finishing it twice and lost interest around the same point.

I really want to like it, but it's just sort of mediocre.
>>
>>341855468
Dropped already. It will never become good.
>>
>>341855869
Yeah, watch this.
twitch/v/72655955?t=01m30s
>>
>>341856001
>fog of war doesn't clear for summoned creatures
it clears for your familiar
you can also send a horde of summoned skeletons in some general direction and they will engage opponents in combat if they meet them
>>
>only summon class is a banjo playing bard faggot
>by the time you can cast a summon everything is dead
Why
>>
File: Deal-With-Loneliness-Step-14.jpg (312 KB, 3200x2400) Image search: [Google]
Deal-With-Loneliness-Step-14.jpg
312 KB, 3200x2400
>>341852627

Has to be the greatest disapointment of the last year. Don't know why exactly, but I think it has something to do with

>shit tier class balance (mages fucking suck)
>strange as fuck dialogues
>no XP for combat
>no memorable companions

Don't know what else it was, but in BG 2 and Neverwinter Nights the story and characters drew you in kind of like a really good (fantasy) book. Here it feels like you get this super terrible book, were you hate everything (the writing, the characters etc.)
>>
>>341856236
But only BG2 had the familiar.
And I'm almost sure the combat part isn't true either. I tried to do that once in Durlag's Tower with the skeleton archers, but in the end I had to send someone with them for combat to start.
>>
>>341856372
because having fun is illegal anon
>>
File: 1401355888500.jpg (53 KB, 300x321) Image search: [Google]
1401355888500.jpg
53 KB, 300x321
>>341856386
>first meeting with main villain in that magical asylum
>it's supposed to leave a lasting impression about his power
>he ends up looking as a giggling asshole schoolboy running around playing tricks with people
>>
>>341856159
>06:30
>the fucking interviewers thought it was co-op multiplayer
What the fuck?
>>
Are there any games like this that don't give you paragraphs to read? It's the main reason I'm scared to get into more CRPGs. I'm okay with quick dialogue boxes like JRPGs, but I don't have enough time to game any more to motivate myself to read a wall of text presented to me. I know it sounds like horrible, cancerous, ADD shit, but I just have too many games to play and too little time. I want the genre to be for me gameplay wise, but now in the way the story is told.
>>
>>341856762
I'm almost certain they are confusing PoE with D:OS. At least one of them remembers dying after digging up a grave. Although not quite the way it actually happens in D:OS.

Still, pretty hilarious and depressing at the same time.
>>
File: 1338525316776.png (980 KB, 1300x796) Image search: [Google]
1338525316776.png
980 KB, 1300x796
>>341852627
>so how is it?
I thought it was good all and all. Found the writing and the world interesting and like the bleak atmospheare.
Yes on the first run, less fun on the second run I did for White March. There really isnt that much replability.
>what class?
Chanter then Cipher

I have no idea why people bitch about the combat, I played on PoTD and enjoyed the encounters. As with every game, if you want to cheese the encounters you will find enough ways to do so, I dont think its fir the Dev to try and prevent you from misusing the game mechanics.
>>
>>341856968
Try NWN, it has less dialogue and more action, also the similar system of combat.
However, if you are up for something different, but still top-down perspective, there is more. NoX, for example.
>>
>>341857049
I feel bad for the interviewee. He looks like he's really excited to talk about the game and show it off to the world but the guys interviewing him are a bunch of casual normies who probably never plays RPGs.

Shame about the level scaling though. I'm style hyped because I hope they learned their lesson after Pillars.
>>
>>341856968
unfortunately isometric and isometric-like rpgs tend to have a significant amount of dialogues.
>>
>>341856968
You can try Underrail if you are fine with a single character game. Or go for the IWDs if you want party-based.
>>
>>341856456
Isn't it depending on how the encounter is made? If the enemies are neutral until you get line of sight the summons wouldn't register them as hostiles to attack on sight. I think it works better on random enemies outside as they don't have any form of advantage by waiting unlike Durlags trap tower.
>>
File: 1448305029117.jpg (67 KB, 747x960) Image search: [Google]
1448305029117.jpg
67 KB, 747x960
>>341857145
>>
>>341856968
Neverwinter Nights expansions (shadows of undrentide and the direct sequel hordes of underdark, base game is its own thing and have more dialogue than them, though it isn't that bad) and Icewind Dale games (build your own party). These games are more focused on character building, exploration and combat, but also have story, NPCs, some choices with simple consequences, etc. But not as "dialogue-heavy" as Planet Escape - Tournament, for example.
Neverwinter also have player-made adventures, some are more story-focused than others. There is one from a official contest that is supposed to fill the black space between the two expansions, but it is optional and don't have a big influence on the main story.
>>
File: exigo_help.jpg (34 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
exigo_help.jpg
34 KB, 200x200
>>341852627
>mfw they went with first draft of the script

How in the fuck is that even possible? I mean, this isn't some military shooter where story might as well not be there - story is half the fucking appeal.
>>
>>341852627
If I played this game back when I was really into Isometric RPGs I probably would like it better than Baldur's Gate.
>>
>>341856968
To be fair, PoE is a perfect example of why even someone who is really INTO this kind of game would get overwhelmed with the amount of text. Because it's bland as fuck and Obsidian seemed determined to make you choke with lore overload. Something like Planescape Torment has a lot of text, but A) it's much better written and B) it's presented in more of prose format so it feels like you're reading a novel and not obviously just really long dialog windows.
>>
>>341857145

Does the game actually have something akin to the class quests in Baldurs Gate 2?
>>
>>341852627
sadly, it's just mediocre. game has as lot of problems, but it doesn't deserve all the negativity it gets from some places because they expected GOTY 10/10 simply because obsidian was working on it.
>>
>>341857317
I mainly felt bad for myself for watching that entire shitshow only to be rewarded with this fucking mockery of an interview. But yeah, I know what you mean.

Too bad there are other red flags beside the level scaling. Character building in PoE was terrible because they wanted to make every build viable, and by doing so they condemned everything to mediocrity. The classless system of Tyranny doesn't sound like they learned their lesson.

But I try to be optimistic anyway, because I want this game to be at least decent.
>>
File: 3022563-tyranny.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
3022563-tyranny.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
>>341854469
I think Tyranny will be like Icewind Dale for Pillars of Eternity. Shame Avellone left because this is exactly the kind of game I think he would've excelled at.
>>
File: 3686838.jpg (11 KB, 452x452) Image search: [Google]
3686838.jpg
11 KB, 452x452
>>341858015
>bland
Oh I love this argument.

Now please write down what you dont consider bland and why. Dis gon b gud.
>>
>>341858284
Assuming they would have left his stuff in this time
>>
>>341858142
>Character building in PoE was terrible because they wanted to make every build viable, and by doing so they condemned everything to mediocrity.

Please do elaborate how making everything viable makes everything mediocre, since you have not explained it.
>>
>>341858142
>The classless system of Tyranny doesn't sound like they learned their lesson.

You sound like you read some sort of Codex-Critque but failed to grasp what it criticized and why something was bad from the critique, now you come to /v/ with an opinion that is neither your own and nor one that you understand and you sound like total sheep.

Why is a classless system bad?
>>
Are Monks shit in PoE?
>>
>no exp from killing enemies
>half the game is combat
I quit and haven't returned after I got sick of all these fucking enemy encounters. Made me remember why I don't like infinity engine games. They're all like this. Can't take a few steps without running into another encounter.
>>
>>341858052
No it doesnt. From what I saw you get just some different interactions sometimes based on class, reputation and stats though. I just wish there was way more of it.

The game is in fact nothing like Baldurs Gate and I am okay with this.
>>
>>341852627
Its allright, but the loot is shit and made the game a lot less fun for me.
Also the combat seems only mediocre.
>>
>>341858774
>I quit and haven't returned after I got sick of all these fucking enemy encounters.

You mean the cmobat that you can literally turn off by turning on story-mode were you barely have any encounters?

>Can't take a few steps without running into another encounter.

As opposed to chinese grindan games, amirite?
>>
>>341858739
No. You just need to know how to play one and I would say Monks are one of the easiest classes to fuck up so badly from the stats that you turn it useless.

I had an Unarmed Monk that shat out 20+ damage per hit against anything that wasnt resistent to blunt damage on Level 2.
>>
>>341858739
they are on potd because on potd if you're not deflection tanking you're a dead meat and they actually need to get hurt
>>
>>341859240
>Deflection tanking
>Tanking with a Monk
>class is bad because i cant tank with it

There is so much dumb in just this one sentence that I want to simply tell you to git gud
>>
I bought this a while ago and never finished, since it was buggy and crashed at lot at the time. Generally I like melee fighters in RPG's unless there aren't a lot of active skills, things to do etc. If all I'm doing is clicking on shit once and watching I don't have all that much fun. I'm also aware you have to manage several party members, and you pick up fighters like Eder and so on pretty early on.

With that in mind, what class should I choose for a playthrough of this? If it's better for the PC to be a caster or whatever that's fine, I'm just attempting to get my money's worth by finishing it finally.
>>
>>341858015
I think PoE was the first game when I skipped dialogue. It was like a new experience. Too bad didnt make the game more tolerable.
>>
>>341858948
>combat is unfun tedium
>solution is to trivialize encounters or turn them off completely
nice
cool
epic

It's literally an easier-than-easy mode. Who the fuck uses this shit? I don't even care enough about the story. I just wanted a fantasy nerdshit game to be a wizard in, but even the wizards suck in this.
>>
>>341859379
it's a class that needs to get hurt to fuel their abilities and potd is a difficulty where you can't allow your fighters to actually get hit without stacking deflection as they will be dead before you notice it
they suck ass compared to offtanks like paladins, they suck ass dps-wise compared to assassins, they suck ass compared to melee wizards
>>
>>341858473
>>341858663
It's not a universal truth, but something that in my experience was true for PoE. Attributes for the most part had such a minimal effect outside of scripted skill checks, that I barely noticed the difference between an unenchanted and a fully enchanted stat raising item. I know because I eventually dropped most of it and returned to basic gear since it looked better.

I know they somehow revamped some of the attributes (Perception?) since I played, and I have no idea how they work now. But after release I could randomly distributed all of my attribute points and it wouldn't have made a difference. They don't want you to fail, and I can only imagine this being the reason behind their idea of balancing being nerfing everything back into grey mediocrity instead of increasing the options for making outstanding builds. Can it still be done? Well, yes. But it requires so much metaknowledge about items in the game that it won't happen on your first playthrough. Character building is simply not rewarding. Same goes for the level up skill selection. It has some shit, mainly the class specific ones that only get unlocked after a certain level, but you run out of them pretty fast and not much on the general list will make you go "yeah, I'm so glad I could finally pick this up".

As for the classless system, I'm worried because it builds upon the PoE system. Since I already found it flawed as shit, I simply can't imagine how scrapping classes and introducing an improve by use system would fix these problems.
>>
>>341854912
Funnily enough Avellone didn't actually write Durance's dialogue with the player, but people still credit Durance to Avellone.

Just goes to show how people gravitate towards Avellone and suck his dick and everything he does, even when he didn't do it.
>>
>>341859501
>, but even the wizards suck in this.
So what you are saying instead is that this game is bad because you suck at it.

Well I gues I should be grateful that at least you didnt use ''artificial difficulty'' like other autists of your kind.
>>
>>341855845
I did it, it was very fun.

Especially with the expansion being somewhat better than main quest, and the new skill being gucci.
>>
>>341852627
It had more going against it than it did in favour, but overall it was still the best of the cRPG renaissance.
>>
>>341860540
>new skill
whats that?
>>
File: Portrait_zahua_lg.png (113 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Portrait_zahua_lg.png
113 KB, 210x330
best companion or best companion?
>>
File: 1433556673503.jpg (53 KB, 474x595) Image search: [Google]
1433556673503.jpg
53 KB, 474x595
>>341860653
>that moment when he throws the dwarfs ring into the water
>>
>>341860648

Skills that are new. Like, there are skills, then, you add more.
>>
>>341860653
>>341860737
is the monk good?
and his character also?
>>
>>341860653
You know, I don't want to be some sort of misogynist here or anything, but I noticed that, at least in PoE, all the companions that were written by Eric shit on those written by the female writer from high up.
I have no idea why she still has the job.
>>
>>341860884
Yes and yes, he's a cool guy.

Especially since monk at max level are fuckign god damn ridiculous
>>
so whats the most enjoyable group to have?
regardless of their strengths and skills, who should be prioritized?
thingken of rolling a barb
>>
>>341859672
>t's a class that needs to get hurt to fuel their abilities
This is correct, but getting hurt with your mong is not the same as tanking. You wouldnt let your fucking Rogue tank because that would be retarded but somehow a Monk is supposed to do that?

All you need to di is literally let ONE enemy attack you go get enough wounds, which usually happens on its own because the Monk dishes out that much damage. Nevermind that you later get talents and abilities that produce more wounds than you could ever spent.

>potd is a difficulty where you can't allow your fighters to actually get hit without stacking deflection as they will be dead before you notice it
So you just suck at the game, fair enough.

>they suck ass compared to offtanks like paladins,
Because they are not tanks.

>they suck ass dps-wise compared to assassins,
You mean they suck in single DPS compared to the most easliy to cheese class that is literally there to make the most single DPS damage?

Rogues are super easy to min-max and cheese.
Monks really suck at the cheese part and thats the only thing they suck at. And that is okay. Uncheesed monk will actually out-dps a uncheesed rogue by the way.

>hey suck ass compared to melee wizards

I think you may be legitmately autistic if your campision to 'how much something sucks'' is comparing it the strongest, most broken build in the game, which still is pew-pew-lazer-lance-wizard.

You moved the goalposts so fucking hard, you must have some legit brain-damage.
>>
>>341860958
Really depend on what you prefer.

Personally i,d say you really need a tank (Warrior most effective for this) a Cleric ( for the superb buffing + healing possibility) and a Debuffer (Wizard or Cypher, Wizard got much better debuff until a point ( and still stronger one after) but cypher eventually got some damned strong CC and can do a fair bit of damage too)

After that, you can fill in with extra damage, maybe a 2nd tank and debuffer, etc.

My last character was a barbarian, and it was pretty fun. Funnily, Int is core with barbarian ( with Might/dex) so i was a erudite flaming godlike in fur armor. Nothing like pressing a button and auto-chunking a bunch of suckers.
>>
>>341861097
>but getting hurt with your mong is not the same as tanking
in a game with a beautiful engagement mechanic it's absolutely same as tanking
rogue can attack while tank draws aggro onto himself, monk needs to draw aggro onto himself to fuel his abilities and with an enormous hordes you typically encounter on potd you won't be able to isolate one enemy, especially in any actually hard encounter
>d-don't compare my beautiful powerful monks to those evil broken classes you motherfucker!!
you're adorable
>>
>>341852627
Usually games get mods to balance them. This game needs the exact opposite. Also to remove all the backer stories, I read them all because my autism doesn't allow me to skip anything, and they added nothing.
>>
>>341852627
I beat the game twice when it launched - so i must have liked it despite its flaws.
The maps weren't big enough to play off from the weird experience system - so you could sneak/walk pass the monsters you are not interested.
Other than two-three quests most of the sidequests left me totally uninterested. No feeling of satisfication or reward.
Items (even the unique ones) were mostly bland and boring.
The druid companion was the highlight for me.
Played as a poorly optimised neutral ranger and a lawful good min-maxed paladin on my 2nd run. Both were fun.
>>
>>341860901
>I have no idea why she still has the job.
Because Edér was a fan favorite, I guess.
>>
>>341861630
>The druid companion was the highlight for me.
This has to be the first time I hear this from anyone.
>>
>>341859716
Definitely agree. Sawyers boner for ultra balance made the game really boring for me. No fun "useless" abilities, no overpowered spell combinations, no way to really fuck up your character, no non-combat skills.
>>
>>341852627
Played the game for around 3 hours, then some anon recommended me M&M 6 and I completely forgot about PoE
>>
>>341861571
>in a game with a beautiful engagement mechanic it's absolutely same as tanking
No its not. You need ONE enemy to hit your monk, not 5.

>monk needs to draw aggro onto himself to fuel his abilities
Yes. To do that i need exactly ONE mob to hit the monk. At later levels I dont even need that because as said, you basically start shitting out wounds.

>on potd you won't be able to isolate one enemy, especially in any actually hard encounter
Then you suck at this game it. Thats it. If you dont know how to control the battlefield and then bitch how your monk dies because you couldnt control how many enemies he engages YOU SUCK. Thats literally it.

>you're adorable
It sure shows that you dont even have the backbone to admit that I am right about that.
Looks like it occured even to you that Rogue and Wizard are hilariously easy to cheese in PoE, so thats why you didnt even present a counter to my argument.

Sad.
>>
>>341852627
It's boring and terrible
>>
>>341862426
Like sex with your sister.

Your mom is much better money.
>>
>>341861883
>No fun "useless" abilities
>You could fuck am some classes so hard that it made the rest of the game a chore

>no overpowered spell combinations
>pew-pew-lazer-wizard is the cheesiest and strongest spellcombo in the game

Its like I am literally talking to people who only watched LetsPlays and read Reviews but never actually played the game.
>>
>>341857845
Had to make time for more trash mobs anon
>>
>>341862317
>git gud
>g-git gud!!
that's not an argument my dear special snowflake
i get the feeling you only played the game on normal because it's the only difficulty where monks don't suck ass
there's virtually no reason anyone should prefer a shit class that needs constant babysitting to even get through the encounter instead of actually good classes
>>
Name one good game that came out of kickstarter
>>
>>341861883
>started a new baldur's gate trilogy playthrough
>mfw using hilarious shit like that random teleportation spell
>mfw all this fun
Fuck Sawyer, i'm glad that autist has nothing to do with Tyranny.
>>
>>341859423
Druid
>>
>>341863048
Divinity Original Sin was a kickstarter game, wasn't it? I liked that one. That was a good game.
Mostly because I am dying for more turn-based games and nobody makes them anymore.
>>
>>341856386
I rather liked the flame mage and cypher.
>>
>>341854589
>>341855761
yeh they fucked that up pretty badly
one of the few games that managed to have an interesting non-combat xp system recently was underrail
turning xp into collectibles, then allowing you to bypass pretty much any combat encounter you could bypass (given right applications of skills) was surprisingly fun
>>
>hard is too easy
>potd is tedious as fuck
>>
>>341856386
>mages aren't the gods of everything forever in an rpg
>magefags everywhere come out and say the entire game sucks as a result

and please NWN? the first one barely had a story and was boring as shit and the second one LITERALLY ends with "rocks fall everyone dies"
>>
>>341863376
underrail is pretty much the best rpg we got form entire "rpg renaissance" of last years anyway
no other rpg in years made me actually explore so much and experiment with builds
did a psi grenadier and was amazed at how much of cool ability combinations the game has
>>
>>341852627
I played through the first act and lost interest.
>>
>>341862835
not the anon you replied toyou won't believe me
you can stop now, because you got btfo 2 posts ago
>>
>>341863513
mages in poe are actually insanely overpowered
problem is, they are as boring to use as melee classes
i really fucking want to see a fantasy game where both mages and physical classes are equally fun to use but poe is certainly not the one
>>
>>341856386
>shit tier class balance (mages fucking suck)

So it's shit tier class balance because mages can't just 1 shot entire groups of enemies and deal more damage than the rest of the party combined?
>>
>>341863804
you think that's sufficient for the magefag?
he also wants to be able to summon a better tank and be able to bypass all locked doors and traps with a single spell
and don't you dare put any form of restriction on how many spells you can cast, and if you do, you HAVE to include an easy way to trivialize the spell recharging process
>>
>>341860653
>dude weed lmao
Such an interesting character.
>>
Are there any other new games like this?

I've played all of the classics, and I loved Pillars despite it's faults.
But most of all I love the art style, it just looks so damn good it really immerses me.

Also, when is Tyranny scheduled to release?
>>
>>341863710
>i really fucking want to see a fantasy game where both mages and physical classes are equally fun to use
Gothic?
>>
File: 1432671121977.jpg (88 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1432671121977.jpg
88 KB, 300x300
>>341863804
>>341863905
>all those buttravaged fighter tears
should've stayed in school
>>
>>341863985
you do know that monks in fantasy were "dude weed lmao" before weedfags became a thing, right?
>>
>>341863998
>Also, when is Tyranny scheduled to release?

This year, unless it gets delayed. No release date yet.
>>
>>341863998
http://store.steampowered.com/app/362960/

Available: Coming Soon!

It's Unity 4 again, so who honestly gives a shit.
>>
>>341864126
>This year

Based fucking Obsidian, are they the best developer or the best developer?
>>
>tfw no Numeria until next year
>>
>>341864221
They just rehashed all of PoE's assets.
Also it's being directed by the guy who did South Park Stick of Truth
>>
>>341853379
Pretty much this. Got hyped for building keep but then the story kinda lost me and it got a bit to grindie. Never finished but enjoyed playing much of it.
>>
>>341864047
hard story progression locks on magic circles make mages way less fun to play with than it would be otherwise
>>
>>341864297
Why would you care about Numenera?
It's gonna be shit. Avellone isn't writing the story. That's like having a new LotR book that isn't written by Tolkien.
>>
>>341864332
>They just rehashed all of PoE's assets.

That's not really a bad thing, loads of devs do this nowadays.

At it's core, PoE was a really fucking good game with interesting quests and all that RPG shit.
They just need to imrpove combat and character building, make stats not useless and I'll be sold.

Their writing is liquid gold to me, it's what i care most about.
>>
>>341864480
>It's gonna be shit
Go back to your basement faggot
>>
>>341864526
>Their writing is liquid gold to me
you have really low standards
>>
>>341864598
>Opinions
>>
>>341852627
>Good
>Lots of fun. The large amount of race/class diversity allows for plenty of options.
>Chanter is fun to combo with others but maybe not so amazing solo. My favorite anyway.
>>
>>341864526
>interesting quests
What?
>>
>>341864526
>At it's core, PoE was a really fucking good game with interesting quests and all that RPG shit.
Not really. I'd argue that it's easily Obsidian's worst game, if you don't count Dungeon Siege 3.
Your character's background/personality hardly matters at all. It's overbalanced, it runs on a piece of shit engine that can barely use more than 20% of your GPU and takes 10 minutes to load, it has 4 good companions out of what, 12?

After New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity is a complete embarrassment. It's a 6/10 game, 7 with expansion.

I still have faith for Pillars of Eternity 2, because it will have high magic and all that shit.
>>
>>341852627
It really bothers my architectural autism how those arched stones are staying up without the arch connecting. That architecture is clearly before mortar was invented, and even with mortar it wouldn't hold up stones that large. Arches like that were held up by making a full arch and using gravity to hold it all together. Taking out one piece would cause the whole thing to collapse.
>>
Everytime I see some faggot posting about the writing in a game I hide all his posts.

Nothing but retards who don't even know what good writing is trying to look clever on a chinese memes and frogposting board.
>>
>>341855262
lol wasteland 2 is literally garbage tier. when compared to pillars it's less than trash.
>>
>>341858423
That's the most disappointing thing, I enjoyed PoE well enough on release, but in the months afterwards and reading about all the crap that Avellone wanted to do but that got nixed has soured it for me.
>>
>>341852627

It was boring.

Plot was bland and may as well not have existed.
Characters were all dull as fuck and I can only remember one of them.
The world was the blandest shit ever.
Even the gameplay was dull as fuck because of the shitty MMO tier balancing that Autism Sawyer forced on the game.

I get the feeling they played it way too safe when developing the game, and it shows. It's such a boring game.
>>
>>341864794
Soul magic, my friend.
>>
File: WebImages_b_ 03.png (1 MB, 1141x675) Image search: [Google]
WebImages_b_ 03.png
1 MB, 1141x675
Serpents in the Staglands is pretty good.
>>
>>341864876
What would a dungeon inside Grieving Mother's mind even accomplish?
It was a piece of shit idea for a piece of shit character.
>>
>>341864794
Schroeder cat law.
>>
>>341864876
Any examples of things that were cut ?
>>
File: 1403725012524.jpg (222 KB, 748x543) Image search: [Google]
1403725012524.jpg
222 KB, 748x543
>>341864084
would magefags agree on a game where mages are very powerful but warriors can reach weeaboo fightan magic-tier power as well?
>>
>>341865137
to this day you can still trigger magefags by mentioning 3.5 had the ToB expansion
>>
>>341864697
That one quest with two options where the quest giver wasn't completely honest with you
>>
>>341865137
As a warriorfag I despise games that insult me by turning my character into a not-mage. If I wanted to play a mage, I would just pick a fucking mage.
>>
>>341865137
I would. Hell, that's pretty much dragon's dogma anyway.
We can step it up a little more and I would still approve as long as it's fun.
>>
>>341852627
pillars was a fun game. I'm debating on the expansion right now. but I just bought sacred gold 1. I mean...it's not a perfect game but I'm having fun.

but pillars the base game...yeah it was solid for sure. the story was underwhelming at the end but otherwise fantastic.
>>
>>341865326
what if instead of pseudo-japanse we made everything pseudo-italian or pseudo-german and instead of referencing ancient masters we just referenced fencing manuals?
>>
>>341865283
I don't think it's the magefags that are triggered so much as anti-weeaboo purists. Found several people who told aspiring melee players to pretend phb never existed and instead play warblade, swordsage and crusader since they do basically what the original classes would except much better.
>>
>>341863587
It'll run on a laptop, right? I've heard nothing but good shit about Underrail and Age of Decadence.
>>
File: My elffu.jpg (14 KB, 710x30) Image search: [Google]
My elffu.jpg
14 KB, 710x30
Only good part
>>
>>341865623
well it is one of 3.5's biggest flaws that melee characters tend to not only be less powerful but also (unless you have a good DM who lets you get away with a lot of things) have a shitload less options
doesn't really matter ToB classes are hilariously superior, just the fact that they give options makes them fantastic
and even if you think activated abilities don't belong on a fighter what would be wrong with say, giving them access to a shitload of stances?
>>
>>341865732
Underrail runs on pretty much everything and AoD doesn't require all that much of a computer
just be aware that with both games character build is ungodly important and you can (very easily for AoD) fuck up your character to the point finishing the game is impossible so spend some time on the character creator (especially in AoD, underrail is a bit more forgiving and doesn't frontload your character as much)
>>
>>341865584
No. If it was, say, a turn-based game I would be down with different options like attack directions, parry, block, fake stab, throw weapon or shield at enemy, etc. But if it's just the same magic crap with a different name, I don't care what we call it, it won't be any less magic.

It's not that I don't like to play spellswords, I do. But I like that it comes with a compromise. I'm sacrificing some of my fighting potential to get some limited magic. I give up one advantage for the possibility of another. If they just make fighting magic and call it a day then what's the point?
>>
>get to the end, just before the final fight
>whatshername the edgy athiest asks you 'oooh why did you betray me in a previous life'
>all options are pointed as though you really did have a motive, eg. out of fear, greed, im not gonna tell u haha, etc
>no option to tell her to fuck off because you cant really speak for the actions of what is basically a different person who lived before you
>same shit with the BBEG
>only actual player 'choice' in the whole game was to side with either Guys In Uniforms or Guys Without Uniforns, whose only defining traits were 'noble dicks' and 'ruffian dicks' respectively
Kinda dumb lol
>>
>>341853578

Begone normie
>>
>>341866120
>fuck up your character to the point finishing the game is impossible

I've honestly never played an RPG where this is possible. Sounds like I'll have to be a casual and at least glance over a guide to character creation before I get into it. I don't want to be a min/maxing faggot my first time through, but I don't want to be gimped, either.
>>
>>341866272
if you don't like minmaxing AoD may not be the game for you
unless you minmax in that game you aint living till the end
Underrail is a bit more forgiving but with a bad build you will hate yourself playing through areas like Depot A
>>
>>341866808
>>341866272
It's fun losing in AoD
Just explore the game and see how far you get, no need to minmax
>>
>>341866272
just start playing underrail normally, it has a graveyard for bad builds near the end of prologue
>>
>>341855262

>go for Wasteland 2

DON'T PLAY DIRECTOR'S CUT

IT'S SHIT

IT STILL CRASHES LIKE CRAZY
>>
>>341866982
Sounds fun to me, I like games where the expectation isn't that I do every single goddamned thing in a playthrough. I enjoy the freedom to fuck up and still feel like I'm having a good time instead of just "goddammit holy shit now I have to start over".

RPGs these days seem to want you to ace everything the first time through, lead every faction, romance literally anything, and save the day with deus ex machina persuasion options.
>>
>>341862835
>hat's not an argument my dear special snowflake
Oh there were lots of arguments in that text , its just that you chose to ignore them because you got butthurt about me telling you to gid gud.

>there's virtually no reason anyone should prefer a shit class
I guess everything is a shit class to someone who is bad at the game.

>onstant babysitting to even get through the encounter instead of actually good classes
Yes, yes, kiddo, we already established your main argument against gememechanics boils down to 'IF I SUCK AT IT ITS OBJECTIVELY SHIT'

Also
>Special Snowflake
Projection much? You just claimed that Class X must be garbage because you dont have the skill to play it properly, not me, kiddo.
How many more times do you have to wreck yourself to finally check yourself?
>>
It feels unfocused from a design standpoint. Playing with elements of design that individually that each individually have the potential to be very good, but are not really conjoined in well working gestalt whole.

Let's god for the no xp fo combat for one. I like the idea, it's potentially very good. But if you *do* that you need systems in place that are going to allow combat-avoidance while making it mechanically interesting and you need loot and crafting systems that are going to make killing rewarding in spite of not giving XP.

Things that were not in the game; one being totally absent, and the other reined in because of balance.
>>
File: portrait_durance_lg.png (122 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
portrait_durance_lg.png
122 KB, 210x330
It's pretty damn good, in my opinion, the expansion is also fun. Looking forward to the sequel.

GREAT TIER
Pillars of Eternity > Underrail > Shadowrun: Dragonfall

GOOD TIER:
Shadowrun: Hong Kong > Divinity: Original Sin > Lords of Xulima > Serpent in the Staglands > Wasteland 2

GARBAGE TIER:
Shadowrun Returns > Age of Decadence
>>
Shit taste tier:
>>341869174
>>
>>341868673
>and save the day with deus ex machina persuasion options

Oh I love that one. I will never understand why developers think speech skills should work as cheat codes for skipping content.
>>
>>341868050
WORKS FINE FOR ME, MUST BE A PROBLEM ON YOUR END
>>
Story was fucking awful, and CRPGs REALLY rely on the story to carry the game. Some of the characters were alright, but none really memorable. Better characters and a better plot, and better linking the characters with the plot through their companion quests, would have made it a fantastic game. Sadly, we just got something serviceable.
>>
>>341869562

Joking aside, it literally crashes every time I spend more than 5 minutes in AG Center after I'd already saved Highpool.
>>
File: 2015-04-08_00005.jpg (667 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-08_00005.jpg
667 KB, 1920x1080
PANIC
>>
>>341869257
t. person who is wrong
>>
>>341869174
Forgot wasteland 2 in aborted fetus tier
>>
File: 2015-04-02_00002.jpg (451 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-02_00002.jpg
451 KB, 1920x1080
Stylish as fuck
>>
>>341852627
Its ok.
Yes I think so.

Mage.
>>
>>341856386
>Durance and Zahua
>Not memorable
0/10
>>
File: 2015-04-08_00001.jpg (488 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-08_00001.jpg
488 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>341869174
>Age of Decadence
>garbage
literally kill yourself. that game is a solid 8/10, and if you need muh graffix to enjoy a game then off the people who raised you before you shoot yourself in the brain.
>>
>>341869712
I like the Vithrack. There is nothing really original about them as they are pretty much just neutral insectoid Illithid, but they still felt very refreshing in a way.
>>
File: 1439594995529.jpg (19 KB, 255x184) Image search: [Google]
1439594995529.jpg
19 KB, 255x184
>>341855262
>this game is boring, play this even more boring game instead
>>
>>341860901
I can be an even bigger misogynistic and point out that the best companions in Pillars of Eternity were male and the worst companion was female, while the majority of female characters were mediocre at best.

Durance >>> Zahua > Edér > Grieving Mother >>> Hiravias > Pallegina > Aloth > Sagani > Maneha >>>>> Kana Rua > Devil of Caroc
>>
File: 2015-04-07_00002.jpg (484 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-07_00002.jpg
484 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>341864332
I think the artstyle looks better, from what little we've seen, the animations look much better as well. Pillars of Eternity seemed like the beginning of a bumpy ride with whatever engine they're working on.

I'm excited about both PoE 2 and Tyranny. Really hope it actually comes out this year.
>>
>>341870154
>mind control shit
>lol your team is fucking you up
>even when they return to your control they just stand around because the AI doesn't resume what they were doing before
>>
>>341864794
That's actually exactly what they were designed to look like. It was pointed out from the moment that screenshot came out that they are Adra pillars with special properties and that's why they're defying physics, I had no idea what they meant with that or how they were defying physics, so it's pretty amusing to see someone that actually knows anything about architecture.
>>
>>341855262
wasteland 2 is worse.
>>
>>341870750
Well, why do you fight them? Just try to be friends with the nice spider people.
>>
>>341869895
Wasteland 2 is on the list, my friend.

>>341870104
Age of Decadence is a terrible RPG that should have been a CYOA game like those Choice Of games or Sorcery!
Everything about it that isn't the actual story, such as combat, exploration and visuals is fucking terrible.

Never have I played a game where I was so excited to read every single detail about the setting in the character creation only to see the game that is behind the curtain and give up on in it within two hours. What a piece of shit. Glad I pirated it, I would have felt like the biggest piece of shit ever if I bought it.
>>
>>341870753
>that
>adra

Looks like regular stone to me, anon.
>>
>>341871078
Oh, you're right, but there was an image with construction like that made of adra that they said made a point of defying physics.
I guess in this case it was just incompetence.
>>
File: POEWM2.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
POEWM2.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>341852627
Yes. Much better with the IE mod to allow pre-buffing and everything.
>>
>>341870970
there're other vithrak (one of the bounties) and vampires have mind shit too
>>
You can get a PoE key on G2A for £1.56,what do you have to lose?
>>
>>341871001
There was absolutely nothing wrong with combat, and I dont even know what you mean by exploration being terrible. Somehow you even ranked Wasteland 2 above it, and that game actually was garbage.

and still
>muh visuals
please leave underage.
>>
>>341871552
£1.56.
>>
>>341871814
>There was absolutely nothing wrong with combat
Stopped reading right there. Easily the worst combat out of all the games I listed. Taken straight out of Fallout 1.

You're a faggot.
>>
>>341872124
Hardest =/= worst. Just because you didn't educate yourself before playing doesn't make it bad. That makes you a bad, and your opinion invalid.
>>
>>341872569
Where the fuck did I say it was the hardest? Was that just a stupid assumption you made or did you actually read that from my post? How retarded are you? Really giving your shit game a good name there.
>>
As someone who doesn't like WRPGs, PoE is the only one I actually enjoyed and I've tried all the classic ones.

So I guess that means it appeals to casuals of the genre? I dunno, I played it on Path of the Damned first time through and enjoyed the combat a lot. The plot was okay and quests were whatever, nothing spectacular. I found the strongest part of its writing to be in the characters and world building.

Took me around 150 hours to beat, granted that was mostly because of me playing on PotD and some fights taking upwards of 20 tries to beat.

I'll probably never replay it.
>>
AGE OF DECADENCE BEST GAME TO COME OUT IN 10 YEARS

AVELLONE BTFO BY VINCE
Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.