[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>“The stick is the first tool that mankind created to put
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12
File: Untitled-1.jpg (177 KB, 1592x896) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
177 KB, 1592x896
>“The stick is the first tool that mankind created to put distance between himself and bad things – to protect himself,” Kojima said.

>“The second tool mankind created is a rope. A rope is a tool used to secure things that are important to you.”

>“Most of your tools in action games are sticks. You punch or you shoot or you kick. The communication is always through these sticks,” Kojima continued.

>“I want people to be connected not through sticks, but through what would be the equivalent of ropes.”

Is he right?
>>
>>341830807
He's an idiot. The first thing mankind created was obviously a dildo.
>>
He's really becoming "that" kind of artist huh

Everything after mgs2 was a mistake
>>
Somebody needs to help him pull his head out of his ass before he suffocates on his own shit.
>>
>>341830807
He's lost his damn mind, hasn't he?
>>
>>341830807

Let me guess

The great reveal is going to be YOU ARE THE ROPE NEO
>>
>>341830807
Sounds like somthing the creators of gone home would say
>>
>>341830807
kojima is a hack, and take like 15 years for you faggots to realize
>>
It's going to be fucking retarded like MGSV.
>>
>>341831460
I realized it after MGS. The thing was, the team behind his retarded nonsensical themes and plot lines actually made really fun games up until MGS4.

After V I have no interest in Kojimbo, and hi comparing his new game to the Uncharted series while spewing bullshit like this is hilarious.

When this game fails and his fanboys can no longer blame Konami, everyone will finally realize he's just nip Romero.
>>
>>341830807
I think people are getting too anti-intellectual if they see someone use abstractions like this and immediately assume they're trying to be "2deep4u." Kojima is literally talking about the underlying game mechanics for his new game, and offering some reasoning for why he wanted to include them. I'm sure he'd say the Fulton stuff from MGSV was a "rope mechanic," but there's nothing pretentious about the way that mechanic was implemented.
>>
>>341831829
John Romero is a talented motherfucker you take that back. He just needs limits. Or John Carmack.
>>
>>341831436

>implying anyone behind Gone Home would say anything that retarded
>>
>>341831998
The issue isn't the reasoning for mechanics, it's the way he goes about explaining it. I mean, using an analogy of mankind's early forms of technology? If he had said something like how he wanted to make a game about people coming together or about learning to appreciate the people and things closest to you.
>>
>>341830807
No.
He's just into Japanese post-modernist literature.
>>
>>
Kojima is the latest tool that mankind created
>>
File: praise kojima.jpg (48 KB, 645x720) Image search: [Google]
praise kojima.jpg
48 KB, 645x720
>>341830807
>>
>>341830915

That's a deer tongue Luigi-tar, you didn't make it.
>>
>>341832572

Kek
>>
So, a co-op game?

REVOLUTIOFdSHFJDKS
>>
>>341830807
What a fucking sponge. His new game looks like a pile of pretentious shit. This guy is a complete fucking diva and that's it.
>>
>>341830807

So instead of shooting... you build settlements or capture/literally tie down the shit that you need?

What the fuck is he making? His babble makes me more curious than the fucking trailer.
>>
>>341832017
Romero WAS talented.

He revolutionized and pretty much established level design. He definitely deserves credit for that, but that's all. Every thing he's touched since id has been a disaster, and his level design isn't that spectacular anymore. Even nu-DOOM had better levels.

And Carmack is fine. He's just a turbo-autist programming savant who's always been more interested in the technology behind games than the games themselves. Just look a DOOM 3 and VR.
>>
Kojima should use rope on himself
>>
>>341830807
I'm cautiously optimistic about Death Stranding despite Kojima's incoherent ramblings

PT was enjoyable and atmospheric
MGSV was a shitfest with good gameplay

This can't possibly be too bad Right?
>>
>>341830807
Early Japanese cavemen used sticks to draw hentai in the sand while the rest of the world used it to fuck shit up
>>
>>341832971
>PT was enjoyable and atmospheric
You know the PT demo had nothing to do with the game, right? That includes story and gameplay. They said that a hundred times.

We have no idea what the game was going to be like.
>>
>>341830807
>I want people to be connected not through sticks, but through what would be the equivalent of ropes
he wants people to commit suicide, makes total sense now after the blunder that was MGSV
>>
>>341832404
he's only emphasizing how important and fundamental they are. he's probably full of shit in a strictly factual sense, but in a metaphorical sense, what he's saying makes sense
>>
>>341833097
I'm talking about PT standing on its own merits, it was an interesting demo independent of its connection with the final product
>>
>>341830807
Yes he is. It's an elegant explanation of a commonly understood but poorly articulated concept. The role of the tool not to push people away but ragther foster connection.

Bravo!
>>
Does kojimbo watch american TV?
I vet his favorite show is lost.
>>
>>341830807
It's just a metaphor
There's nothing to be "right" about
Though it makes me wonder how he would apply that idea to the game he's creating, since supposedly it's an action game. In the context of what he's saying, I've always considered action games to be action games because they were about using sticks as opposed to ropes.
>>
>>341831998
>hack apologist detected
The words and images Kojima uses to describe this game reeks of someone who wants to come off as deep but clearly thinks too highly of himself.
>>
>>341830807
>Grappling hooks confirmed
>>
My guess is that instead of using your body or weapons to defeat your enemies you will pull out an umbilical cord from your heart and tie your enemies with it and instead of killing them they will be your friends now, heart to heart.
It sounds crazy as fuck but this is Kojima we're talking about.
>>
>>341833381

Or there are no enemies and ropes refers to actions or tools you use to collect shit.

It will probably be a collectathon with gameplay involving you resisting things that "take" stuff from you.
>>
File: black-people-lynched6.jpg (55 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
black-people-lynched6.jpg
55 KB, 500x361
>>341830807
>Rope is a tool used to secure things that are important to you

All too right.
>>
>>341832404

>getting triggered by people using analogies

I'm out

>like how he wanted to make a game about people coming together or about learning to appreciate the people and things closest to you

except the way he explained it opened it up to being more than just "people getting together with other people blah blah faggot hallmark shit"

seriously just kill yourself and never play my games again
>>
>>341833242
>It's just a metaphor
Like how the greatest symbiotic parasite the world's linguistic is just a metaphor right?
>>
>>341833537
Sure
>>
STRANDING MAN ASS
>>
>>341833210
I definitely agree with that, but it's very likely the end product would have been complete shit with an incredibly stupid and immersion breaking plot.
>>
>>341830807
WHEN DO WE GET ACTUAL GAMEPLAY AND NOT THIS KINO SHIT JESUS FUCK SAKE
>>
>>341833482
Yeah you're probably right, i think this "precious" thing to protect is the baby and you'll have to prevent the robots from taking him.
Basically pretentious Yoshi's Island with Norman Reedus instead of Yoshi.
>>
why does everyone think that Reedus had a C-section? they just removed his "strand", his umbilical cord. they didnt pull the baby out of him, the baby's strand is obviously leading off somewhere else, not inside Reedus
>>
How is /v/ this dumb? Its very concerning that I post with you guys...

Hes saying in most games your actions involve you pushing and shoving your way to victory in forms of violence and aggression. Shooting, running shit over, blowing it up, etc. all of this is "using the stick".

Whatever ropes he is talking about will be forms of gameplay that involve bringing things closer to you. The only thing I can think of is like Katamari where you literally force things to be apart of you or like Viva Pinata where you foster and grow a garden like thing.

Who fucking knows how this is applied to gaming though.
>>
>>341834032

>Strand

Is that what we're calling it? I thought the stranding was referring to all the dead whales.
>>
Mankind didnt fucking invent sticks you stupid chink
>>
>>341832883
>his level design isn't that spectacular anymore. Even nu-DOOM had better levels

This is the worst opinion on /v/ I've read all year
>>
>>341833771
when actual gameplay is developed. the game's pretty early on, you should be glad they aren't like everyone else and make fake gameplay to compensate for the fact that their game isn't yet functional to the point that a vertical slice can be shown.
>>
>>341833493
Woah there edgemiester.
>>
The only good thing Kojima has written in the past 2 decades was imaginary Paz
>>
>>341833520
I think you're the one triggered here.
>>
>>341834238
idk what else would you call all the strings connecting the creatures to the ocean
>>
>>341834343
Looks like Romero made you his bitch.
>>
Just rewatched the trailer
Maybe there's a dark world and a light world and you can move between them and connect stuff to solve puzzles
>>
>>341834698

Ah, maybe you're right. Maybe it's a double entendre?
>>
File: 1465871812177.jpg (38 KB, 1003x527) Image search: [Google]
1465871812177.jpg
38 KB, 1003x527
>>341832634
>>
>>341830807
Yo, is he trying to tell us Norman Reedus is going to be swinging that baby around like a flail? Am I gonna get to beat shit to death with a baby?!
>>
File: 1455135083953.jpg (189 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1455135083953.jpg
189 KB, 717x880
>>341834884
>>
File: 1455135083953.png (915 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1455135083953.png
915 KB, 717x880
>>341835201
>>
Well he is quoting a short story here.

But i guess the rope will be the protags handcuffs and the game will be either a pokemon or undertale deal where you have an alternative to regular combat.
One thing i learned about kojima is that he likes to take philosophy and interpret it in the most literal way possible.

>words can kill
>no seriously, words can literally kill you

I'm still hyped to see how he translates it to gameplay, because call me a shill if you want to, but the gameplay in kojima games is usually amazing.
>>
File: Flail.webm (555 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
Flail.webm
555 KB, 360x360
>>341834884
>>
>>341834884
wow, it's like you're actually 12 years old
>>
File: 1465938785416.gif (1 MB, 225x124) Image search: [Google]
1465938785416.gif
1 MB, 225x124
>>341835427
>>
File: tyrone4.jpg (27 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tyrone4.jpg
27 KB, 1280x720
>>341835427
what the fuck, America
>>
File: 1465768221368.webm (3 MB, 1008x568) Image search: [Google]
1465768221368.webm
3 MB, 1008x568
>kojima is now going to suffer the same fate as george lucas
>his original series was only a success because he had people telling him "no" and that some of his ideas were stupid and pretentious
>now he is surrounded by a team of people who hail him as a genius and think everything he does is perfect
>his new game will be the equivalent of star wars episodes 1-3

mark my words /v/
>>
>>341832404
It seems like he gave a perfectly candid explanation for how he came up with it. He was thinking about the kinds of basic things people (or cavemen, I guess) had in real life and how he could make them interesting in games, saw that action games offered engaging ways to use weapons but not other tools, then worked out a way to turn another kind of tool into a game mechanic that he thought was interesting. It's not a very "out there" line of thinking, so there's no reason not to believe it's his real thought process, but you're saying you're upset that he wasn't disingenuous about it.

>>341833254
Can you elaborate? I've only seen OP's example, in which he's trying to give people information about his partially finished product when he can't give them any details.
>>
>>341834872
I would assume so. kojima flexing his engrish vocab
>>
File: 1454636751842.jpg (90 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
1454636751842.jpg
90 KB, 500x492
>>341834884
>>
Reminder that Taro did it better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDo_k69bdxw
>>
>>341832117
They would never say anything like that.

For starters, Kojima is describing gameplay mechanics. Gone Home devs have never even heard of gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>341830807
>“The stick is the first tool that mankind created"
wrong, it was fire
then the wheel
>>
>>341836880
>mankind created fire
WE WUZ WIZARDS AND SHEIT
>>
>>341836880
those are both made of st- WAIT AM I BEING TROLLED? DAMN DANIEL THAT'S EPIC YOU ALMOST GOT ME
>>
>>341835908
>you're saying you're upset that he wasn't disingenuous about it
No, no I did not. Don't be dumb, anon.
>>
>>341835792
it's possible, we'll see
i think kojima has a little more self-awareness, and perhaps more importantly, better taste, compared to george lucas
>>
Kojima really is going to do it. It's going to be like Metal Gear memes all over again.
>>
This is honestly the most pretentious shit ever. His earlier work was passable, if a little derivative of movies. But this isn't just tryhard, it's a shitty fucking metaphor.
>>
>>341837161
>kojima has a little more self-awareness
>better tastes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw8VrOiSwJ0
>>
>>341837058
Yes you did. Your words were:
>The issue isn't the reasoning for mechanics, it's the way he goes about explaining it.
Here, you say that you have an issue, and I'm said earlier that his explanation for why he's including his mechanics genuinely reflects how he came up with them. In other words, you have a problem with what is most likely Kojima something truthful, and you also suggested that he should have said something else instead.

I think that most other people ITT are saying that his reasoning IS pretentious.
>>
>>341837572
I don't know how you came to that conclusion, but none of that means I somehow wanted him to lie to fans on where he got his reasoning. I was just saying the way he worded it sounds silly.
>>
>>341837457
it's very honestly still better than any of george pukeass' work
>>
>>341837724
>I don't know how you came to that conclusion
Because it's what you said, you dumb faggot.
>>
Is this just gonna be Don't Starve: Kojima Edition with a baby to keep alive?

Because I'd be down for that.@
>>
Jesus Christ how does this retard keep getting work? He already forced Konami to become a pachinko business with his inane navel gazing bullshit and seems to be set to do it again. He also picked emo-grampa to do it.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.