[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your opinions on the Steam Controller? who here has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
What are your opinions on the Steam Controller? who here has actually used one?
>>
>>341827837
>d pad where the thumbstick should be

what shit design
>>
>>341827837
Everything about its design is shitty. The D-pad is especially garbage. Trackpad has some cool uses, and works okay I'm shooting games, but only after lots of tweaking and hours of adjustment.

Just get a 360 controller. It's honestly best as a remote control for your PC if you have some type of livingroom setup.
>>
trackpads are shit. trackpads with acceleration are still shit. the stick is in an uncomfortable position, the buttons are in an awkward position, the bumpers are stiff and at a horrible angle, the triggers are not triggers, the "haptic feedback" is a joke and is louder than a jet engine, it requires you to use big picture mode which is shit and is liable to crash while you're spending a half hour obligatorily tweaking the controls for a single game.

that's most of it

>>341828236
>dpad
don't be fooled
>>
File: Comfy_guy.jpg (41 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
Comfy_guy.jpg
41 KB, 600x579
bump
>>
>>341827837
Just bought one and it is awkward as shit.

I tried playing a FPS with it and it felt more unnatural than with my DS4.

I'm going to be using it much more before I decide if it's as bad as the initial impression.
>>
>>341829238
this desu

I tried to get the most of it but it is crap. Only decent thing is being able to customize bindings in steam overlay when it works.

makes me annoyed I didn't just get a xbone or ds4 controller since those use bluetooth and I could use them with gear vr or something too
>>
I had my PC hooked up to a TV in the living room.
Steam controller is AWESOME for navigating your desktop from the couch, much more comfortable than hunching over your coffee table with a m+kB. Good for browsing the internet and finding something to watch on Netflix and YouTube, online shopping, etc, it has a built-in keyboard function that works really well.

...but that's where the advantages stop. Whenever I played a game, I ALWAYS switched to my DS4. The steam controller isn't very good for playing games.
But it's the single most intuitive and comfy m+kB replacement for chilling on the couch.
>>
Buy steam controller
+set up profiles for games I play regularly
+works pretty good so far
+incredibly comfy for me

-awful for RTS/FPS games
-requires big picture mode - god this is so shit
-bumpers are pretty stiff

Its alright, it is incredibly comfy once you set u[ a custom scheme that works for you though.
6.5/10
>>
I saw a video of the gyro controls and was impressed

Wish consoles had gyro aiming
>>
needs a dongle
not Bluetooth
>>
>>341832809
I'm watching this video right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNfSn6kRbgY#t=0.796083

I didn't even know it had gyro controls
>>
Been playing Witcher 3 with it recently and the only complaint I really have is camera control is sub par and difficult to do while trying to use the face buttons. Mechanically, I don't really like the bumpers very much, but the underside triggers can be mapped to them, which I do on occasion.

My biggest complaint overall is the need for big picture mode. Makes it so I have to start up games through steam if I want to customize the controls at all, even if they're non-steam games. Really needs the ability to edit profiles without the need for Steam at all.
>>
>>341831407
This kind of sums up what I suspected about the controller. Reinventing the wheel has pretty much never worked out, and this beast looks like they're trying hard to force something rather than allowing the consumers to determine what they want.

There was no mainstream demand for this kind of interface, a robust two stick controller that can pick up where developers excluded a controller for exclusive m&k (Bioware) would have been a much better idea. Good d-pad, eschewing the four face buttons for six, with option buttons, bumpers and triggers, etc.

If anyone could have done it it could have been Valve, but no, we get Johnny Five's tickle me face-pad.

Now I'm angry.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.