[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious but not really Zelda lore thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7
File: 1466125843981.webm (1 MB, 610x344) Image search: [Google]
1466125843981.webm
1 MB, 610x344
Just Jam It In There Edition

Can you guys counter this argument?
He turned a blind eye to the existence of Koroks, which shouldnt be a thing unless Windwaker happened, I believe

http://www.geek.com/games/we-figured-out-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wilds-place-in-the-zelda-timeline-1658663/

>After playing the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild demo, I’m pretty sure I now know where the game fits into the insane, multi-forked, seemingly fudged Zelda timeline. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is “Zelda 3.” Or rather, it takes place after Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link. Breath of the Wild should take place after Link’s first adventure on the NES and after his return to Hyrule to prevent Ganon’s return.

>The demo I played showed the first few minutes of the game, where Link naturally awakens from a hundred-year sleep. He doesn’t know who he is or what’s going on. He leaves some ruins to find a land that was once Hyrule, but has returned to the wild. No sign of towns or any humans besides a single old man and the disembodied female voice guiding Link. However, nearby, there’s the unmistakeable ruins of the Temple of Time from Ocarina of Time (as also seen in Twilight Princess, in similar disarray), and in the background is a nightmarish Hyrule Castle, plagued by the fantastically named Calamity Ganon.

>Those details are all we need to know about where and when exactly Breath of the Wild takes place in the timeline.
>>
File: 1466117519928.webm (2 MB, 629x328) Image search: [Google]
1466117519928.webm
2 MB, 629x328
>Hyrule Kingdom used to be here, but it’s gone now. The old man laments that it fell into ruin long ago. This isn’t the first time we’ve seen Hyrule fall, but this is the first time we’ve seen it fall dry. The gods of Hyrule sank the land under the ocean before Wind Waker when Ganondorf returned and broke free of the seal that held him. It didn’t dry out until generations later in Spirit Tracks, and even that was after a pilgrimage where Link led the human survivors of Hyrule to a new, dry land.

>Breath of the Wild shows Hyrule as a long-gone kingdom. There are no towns, few (if any) humans, and the land is overrun by wilderness, wildlife, ruins, and goblins. It’s like how the original Legend of Zelda depicted Hyrule, but the dying kingdom still had some presence in that game, at least in the supporting text and premise. Zelda is a living princess, and Link simply doesn’t see Hyrule castle in the game. In Breath of the Wild, there is no question: Hyrule fell long ago.

>The Temple of Time exists and is in ruins. That means it takes place after Ocarina of Time. This could indicate that Breath of the Wild takes place before or after Twilight Princess, which shows the Temple of Time in a similar state, but that doesn’t fit because Hyrule is clearly and decisively gone. It isn’t simply a castle in the distance with a forgotten old temple. Both the temple and the kingdom are completely in ruins.
>>
File: 1466125859625.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1466125859625.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>Ganondorf has become not just the pig wizard Ganon, but a powerful shadow Ganon. That means he already transformed into Ganon and was defeated or sealed after that. Calamity Ganon is exactly the threat The Adventure of Link tried to stop, but only delayed. When you died in The Adventure of Link, the game over screen said “Return of Ganon,” with the image of a shadowy pig. The last boss was Dark Link, a shadow version of Link. Shadows loom with Ganon’s return (a concept we saw play out differently in Twilight Princess, in the Young Link Timeline). The dark force held in place by Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild is a shadowy pig demon.

>Then there’s the old man, who’s simply called “Old Man.” That’s this timeline’s King of Hyrule. Under his ragged hood you can see a big Santa beard that makes him look very similar to Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, or the human form of the King of Red Lions in Wind Waker. The King of Red Lions gave up his human form to look after the sunken Hyrule in case Ganon returned. This king of Hyrule still has his health, but he has no kingdom to rule. He does have his blood, however, and that’s the only thing keeping Calamity Ganon in check in Hyrule Castle. The Hyrule bloodline is the medium through which Zelda’s reincarnations flow, and the Hyrule royal family is part of the force that keeps the land safe from catastrophe, or at least helps it recover after catastrophe.

>Finally, there’s the distinct lack of the Triforce, or any Hyrule imagery anywhere in the game. The Triforce isn’t mentioned in the demo, and the Triforce-and-bird crest of Hyrule is nowhere to be found. Instead, ruins are covered with the Sheikah crest, which Ocarina of Time fans will recognize as the Lens of Truth. In fact, one of the most important items Link gets at the start of the game is the Sheikah Slab, a Wii U Gamepad-like artifact with the Sheikah crest on it, which serves as a compass and scanner.
>>
File: 1465938381787.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1465938381787.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>Impa, Zelda’s handmaiden, had played a major part throughout the Zelda series, and her first big role was in Zelda 2. She guided Link to find the sleeping, ancient princess. Impa is a Sheikah, possibly the last of the Sheikah depending on the timeline. The Sheikah were guardians of both Hyrule and the royal family for generations, stretching back to Skyward Sword. The power of the Goddess of Hyrule flows through Zelda and the royal family, but it’s the Sheikah who knew what to do about it. Skyward Sword’s Impa protected Zelda by hiding her in time. Ocarina of Time’s Impa protected Zelda by training her to move in disguise as a Sheikah warrior. Zelda 2’s Impa looked after the sleeping princess until Link appeared. The Impa in the Oracle games looked after Link himself as he tried to save distant lands.

>Here’s the big detail about Impa and the Sheikah: They’re only prominent in the Fallen Hero timeline. Impa is in Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time, but after that she and the Sheikah only play major roles in A Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds, the Oracle games, the original Legend of Zelda, and The Adventure of Link. The fact that the Sheikah crest dominates the landscape — that the big connecting factor is the crest of the Sheikah and not of the Hyrule royal family and that it’s the Lens of Truth and not the Triforce — is a big hint that this is the Fallen Hero timeline.

>To be fair, the Sheikah slab and the ruins we see in the game could hint at Breath of the Wild taking place much, much earlier in the timeline. They’re reminiscent of the ancient proto-Hyrule civilization of Skyward Sword. That civilization created Fi, the Goddess Sword, which became the Master Sword. However, both Hyrule Castle and the Temple of Time have been built and the latter is in ruins, so it has to take place after Ocarina of Time at the very least.
>>
File: SonybroreactstoBotW.jpg (104 KB, 953x591) Image search: [Google]
SonybroreactstoBotW.jpg
104 KB, 953x591
I've never seen someone so sure of themselves say nothing in that many words outside of /v/ before.

With how vague his points are, you might as well disregard all canon and say that this game can take place between any two Zelda pairs.

We already know that isn't the same Temple of Time. It didn't have a giant talking statue of Hylia before. Tbh the only reason for confusion is that people still think Hyrule Historia is canon though, so I can't blame him.

When BotW comes out, they'll probably release an update for the 30th anniversary.
>>
File: 1466109177612.png (286 KB, 540x404) Image search: [Google]
1466109177612.png
286 KB, 540x404
>>341789528
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTobF2XM3y4
>>
File: 1466158325738.png (147 KB, 649x313) Image search: [Google]
1466158325738.png
147 KB, 649x313
>>341789528
You seem so sure of yourself, OP. Maybe too sure.

Regardless, anyone else feel that this game's plot has a high chance of being a huge mindfuck, now that it's been confirmed that over 100 Monolith devs are working on it?
>>
>>341789528
The Koroks are just a product of the Deku tree, in a sense, right? The Deku tree sprout is alive in each ending of Ocarina, so I don't see why Koroks couldn't appear in any time line.
>>
>>341792986
Pretty sure Koroks are what Kokiri evolved into after the world was flooded.
>>
>>341792753
Just techs using magic to create the world, nothing more than that I'd imagine. Aounuma is still the lore rusemaster, I dont think he'll be taking things too far, as much as I'd like Link to be a robot, just for the sjw butthurt.
>>
>>341789528
>>341789657
>>341789873

That sure is a lot of words to say basically nothing.

Having the game basically be "Zelda 3" makes a whole lot of sense thematically though, if not lore-wise. I really like that as a concept.
>>
do you people seriously believe you can know the timeline with a demo with the story cut out?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.