[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>build city and castle in a flood zone >don't deforest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: prontera.jpg (172 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
prontera.jpg
172 KB, 1024x768
>build city and castle in a flood zone
>don't deforest around the city walls so that wildfires can burn down houses over the wall
>castle is literally in the center of the river so that invading forces can easily besiege it
>castle making a huge choke point in the river, a major trade route and highway to any settlement

Who designs this shit
>>
I don't know this game
It looks like a medieval city builder
Is it?

If it's not, are there medieval city builders?
>>
>>341780160
how does having a big ass moat full of moving water make it easy to besiege
>>
there are people flinging meteors and shit like water balloons and you're complaining about realism
>>
>>341780160
You forgot
>walled city in the middle of thick forest with zero farmland, literally no way to feed population
>>
>>341780285
>most invading foreign armies move their troops via ships
>put your castle on what is a medieval superhighway
>instead of fighting through a defensible city you cab land your entire military right at the castles doorsteps
>he doesn't know you can mount siege weapons like trebuchets on boats

Doomed city
>>
It's clearly a floating city, you can see clouds beneath it.

Retard
>>
>>341780160
It doesn't matter because if the castle should ever do get attacked, they can call on an endless supply of max level adventurers who are living as bums in the city's central square.
>>
>>341780273
It's a fan drawing of the city of Prontera from Ragnarok Online.

>>341780767
World is mostly concerned with not being annihilated by monsters that are fucking everywhere. Doubt sieges from other non-existent armies are a huge problem.
>>
>Always want to design pretty cities in city building games
>Make fucking ugly grid monstrosities and traffic jam nightmares
Fuck.
>>
>>341781821
>World is mostly concerned with not being annihilated by monsters that are fucking everywhere. Doubt sieges from other non-existent armies are a huge problem.
Judging by art, these monsters can be defeated by a teenager with spiky hair
They truly have to be terrifying
>>
>>341780160

>Mentions it being a "flood zone"
>Complains they didn't remove forest.

Forests and trees help prevent floods by soaking up water and holding the structure of the soil together preventing landslides and erosion.

Stop thinking you know what you are talking about kid.
>>
>>341780767

Good luck holding the boats in place long enough to do any damage if that river is running.

Also good luck not being sunk since you can't move quickly. I assume the other side have similar besiege style weapons to fire back.

The half moat stops you being surrounded and forces enemies into a choke point where they can be attacked and can only attack with a small front

8/10 placement, would not attack.
>>
>>341780561

Surrounded by thick forest probably filled with animals and a river full of fish and easy trade access.

>no way to feed population
>>
>>341783513
Except the city is on completely even terrain you idiot
>>
>>341783939
>place siege equipment on the rear of the castle on the other side of the river where it's 2 buildings wide and rape the castle
Pleb fortifications
>>
>>341784195

Are you suggesting water stays exactly where it is on flat land and doesn't run towards the river in its drainage basin?

Typical v
>>
>>341784674

And how is that worse than if it was land locked? This way they have that little area. Without the river they have all around to place weapons.
>>
>>341784809

Meant to quote

>>341784510
>>
>>341780160
You are a fucking idiot lmao
>>
>>341784979
>can bypass AN ENTIRE FORTIFIED CITY and attack the castle immediately with no resistance because you're on the other side of a river at the rear of the city

It's a horrible design, kill yourself. I'll just kill all the royalty with no resistance because you built your most important building completely separate from your town and in the worst possible position.

But I guess the view from your office is nice :^)
>>
>>341780160
>build city and castle in a flood zone
Medieval Paris /Île de France
>don't deforest around the city walls so that wildfires can burn down houses over the wall
Medieval Paris /Île de France
>castle is literally in the center of the river so that invading forces can easily besiege it
Medieval Paries / Île de France
>castle making a huge choke point in the river, a major trade route and highway to any settlement
Medieval Paries / Île de France
>>
>>341782234
I know that feel, but grids are just so efficient I can't help it. My brain won't let me not make grids.
>>
>>341785598

If you can reach it from there you could reach it if it was in the middle of the city. Except from 360 degrees instead of a small bit of land on one side
>>
>>341780160
Everything with that city looks fine with the exception of the forest.

Castles were regularly built on/jutting into bodies of water to make their moats more effective.

Additionally, castles on rivers are actually harder to siege due to the ability to resupply and send messages via boat.

Those trees do negate the outer wall though, as it would allow attackers to get all the way to the wall without being spotted, and would allow attackers to infiltrate at night via ladders and such without much hope of spotting them before it was too late.
>>
>>341786308
Except with how that castle is oriented they can't fight back, better to attack from one angle with no resistance than from all sides in a defensible city populated with enemy soldiers
>>
File: saintmontmichel[1].jpg (53 KB, 460x315) Image search: [Google]
saintmontmichel[1].jpg
53 KB, 460x315
Look at these idiots, they built their castle with only 1 bridge in, SO easy to siege, no wonder they're all dead.
>>
>>341780160
>trees go right up to the walls
>literally the easiest thing to besiege ever as you can do whatever the fuck you want to knock the walls out and the people manning them can never even see you, let alone shoot you
>>
File: castles-illo_1871596a[1].jpg (58 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
castles-illo_1871596a[1].jpg
58 KB, 460x288
>>341786858
Here are some more idiots that built their stupid castle right in the middle of a lake, I'm surprised they didn't all die of stupidity.
>>
>>341786858
>>341786989
lake =/= river.
>>
>>341787193
That's from the 16th century and its thusly doubtful it was built with much in the mind of defense at all, as such castles were
obsolete at that very time, militarily
>>
File: Idiot building.jpg (2 MB, 2830x2122) Image search: [Google]
Idiot building.jpg
2 MB, 2830x2122
>>341787193
What morons, they wasted so much time and energy building something so obviously stupid on a river!
>>
>>341787659
Jesus what absolute morons, and they thought they were the best engineers of that age? What were they thinking? I can spot 1000 errors that those morons wouldn't think of.
>>
File: 681x454.jpg (50 KB, 561x454) Image search: [Google]
681x454.jpg
50 KB, 561x454
>goddamn im thirsty
>>
>>341787080

>>341786858 is neither a lake nor a river, it's the OCEAN you blind fuck, so man how stupid to expose yourself to the tides AND every seafaring nation in world!

And it's "!=", not "=/=" you pleb.
>>
File: MtStMichel_avion.jpg (561 KB, 1498x1165) Image search: [Google]
MtStMichel_avion.jpg
561 KB, 1498x1165
>>341788653
The water around it is shallow. When the tide comes out, the place is surrounded by sand.
>>
>>341786541

How about the fact that it's a city on the river, and the river even curves AROUND the city, and yet there is no harbor anywhere.
>>
>>341783939

>good luck holding your boat in place

Anchors have existed since boats.
>>
File: 39 of 40 graves.jpg (80 KB, 508x395) Image search: [Google]
39 of 40 graves.jpg
80 KB, 508x395
>>341785897
>modelling your city after Paris
>>
>>341790906
>wow let's be a stationary target that can be sunk by a decently sized rock thrown from the castle walls
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.