[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Undecided on buying Transistor or not. Does /v/ like it? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 18
File: Transistor_soundtrack.jpg (15 KB, 220x210) Image search: [Google]
Transistor_soundtrack.jpg
15 KB, 220x210
Undecided on buying Transistor or not. Does /v/ like it? I don't think I've ever seen it talked about here.
>>
Good soundtrack. Good art. Story is very eh. Gameplay is decent. Steam sale is coming up so it'll be cheap
>>
Just pirate that shit if you're so unsure
>>
>>341773224
It's cute and fun.
>>
I like it. It's a fairly simple game where you can mix and match your abilities to create different varieties, adding spice to the combat. OST and art design are good as well, which is par for the course with Supergiant Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql8K3KJyWgY
>>
>>341773513
Pretty much this. I loved it
>>
>>341773224
The ending is fucking garbage and nearly ruins the entire game, which is short.
>>
>>341773224
One of my favorite games in last years. Everything about is wonderful. After this and Bastion, the next game from Supergiant is auto-buy for me.
>>
Imma take the plunge and get it. Thanks all.
>>
File: 4523453453434343.gif (331 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
4523453453434343.gif
331 KB, 300x250
>>341773224
If you like Bastion go for it, it's shorter tho
>>
>>341773969
What, the ending is completely fine and made perfect sense in relation to the plot.
>>
Short as hell, but no other game like it. It's a really weird mix of strategy and action RPG where you can customize every skill.

The art style is great, the story is super vague, but starts making sense by the end, music is on par with Bastion.

So yeah, I recommend the game.
>>
the gameplay is good and the combat is kinda fun

but the story is full of cringe and obvious 'woman power' and beta male tropes

I would recommend bastion over transistor any day
>>
>>341773224
Great Soundtrack
Nice artstyle and quite unique setting
Gameplay is kind of strange but in a good way
Comfy as fuck

The only person whose I recommended this game and didn't like it it was because he doesn't understand english and the narrator was annoying to him.

get it for 10$ or less senpai
>>
>>341774626
>but the story is full of cringe and obvious 'woman power' and beta male tropes
The fuck? Story doesn't even touch on gender politics, it only has a female protagonist and a male sidekick, (that's a talking fucking sword) that's all.
>>
>>341774626
>but the story is full of cringe and obvious 'woman power' and beta male tropes

I wish you faggots would die already.
>>
Short, great VA, fun strategy. I don't recommend wasting time on challenges. Get it on sale, pretty fun
>>
File: 1418768250657.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1418768250657.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>341773224
I absolutely loved Bastion, and loved everything in Transistor. It's short, but it's a ride worth taking for sure. The game can be pretty challenging if you up the stakes yourself by applying limiters to yourself just like in Bastion.

Buy it, it's fucking great.
>>
>>341773224
it's a shitty unfun retread of bastion

if you didn't play bastion, play that instead. if you did play bastion, ignore this
>>
Something something shit game.
Something something /v/ is not a hive mind.

In reality we breed a culture of shitposting and being contrarian asssholes.
Don't ever ask for what /v/ thinks on anything.

Play the game and form your own opinion.
>>
Yeah it's good

Supergiant is one of the better indie game makers out there
>>
>>341773224
The soundtrack is shit.
>>
>>341774903
>male sidekick
more like obnoxious rover

the worst part about the game is the ending where he "gets the girl" (which would never happen in real life)

the only reason you would like mr betasword is if you're a beta white knight yourself, normal people look at that kind of personality and cringe to death
>>
>>341775035
>if you didn't play bastion, play that instead. if you did play bastion, ignore this

completely different gameplay, at least when it comes to combat.
>>
If you liked Bastion you will like this. Both are great imo.
>>
File: 3dBOGlw_700wa_0.gif (292 KB, 240x149) Image search: [Google]
3dBOGlw_700wa_0.gif
292 KB, 240x149
>>341774898

This op.... hear this guy.
>>
>>341775218
yes for instance bastion has fun gameplay and transistor doesn't.

there's really no reason to play it at all, thank you for helping me clarify that. everyone should play bastion though
>>
File: 1379792798916.png (83 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1379792798916.png
83 KB, 625x626
>>341775171
You need to up your bait game m8, that just made me feel sad for you.
>>
>>341775171
you have issues anon
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 774x799) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 774x799
It's tied for my favorite game, OP. I can't recommend it enough.
>>
>>341775171
> normal people look at that kind of personality and cringe to death

It's the same shit as the narrator from Bastion, except he's actually next to you. Absolutely nothing crying about him... well maybe the shape, very impractical for a sword.
>>
File: ffgew.jpg (31 KB, 226x166) Image search: [Google]
ffgew.jpg
31 KB, 226x166
>>341775131

Cant argue with that... A sad truth.
>>
I liked Bastion but I didn't like Transistor.
The tactical+real time combat doesn't do it for me. I feel like since both are in the game, neither feel very polished. I think the game would have been a lot better if the devs focused on one or the other. It is the most beautiful game I've every played though.
>>
>>341775450
why doesn't Space Ghost get a video game?
>>
File: 1.jpg (37 KB, 638x765) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
37 KB, 638x765
>>341773224
>I don't think I've ever seen it talked about here.
That's because there's nothing to talk about, except for the first week after the release. The game is deeper mechanically than Bastion, but both of them are not exactly the games that would play in new game plus
>>
>>341773224
SJW garbage.
>>
>>341775171
Did you even play the fucking game? He "had the girl" from the start, you fucking moron. That was the point.
>>
>>341775567
>but both of them are not exactly the games that would play in new game plus
did you make a mistake typing that sentence, because I'm confused what you wanted to say. Both games have NewGame+ modes with some extra content.
>>
>>341775415
the narrator from bastion never got "drunk" and confessed his love to you while saying a bunch of other cringy beta shit

you do remember that part of transistor, right?
>>
File: Transistor.jpg (872 KB, 777x1200) Image search: [Google]
Transistor.jpg
872 KB, 777x1200
Good atmosphere, creatively varied skillsets, great music.

The story could be a bit convoluted and didn't have as many impactful moments as Bastion, but I thought everything else was lovely.
>>
File: 1401679262938.jpg (725 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
1401679262938.jpg
725 KB, 1280x850
>>341775561

"ol" by today standards? Not relevant in the culture anymore ?

Guess thats what they are going to say.
>>
>>341775735
Well, the guy trapped in the sword is Red's boyfriend + bodyguard, so
>>
>>341775713
he was just some random obsessive fan that got sworded instead of the main girl because he white knighted in front of her

she pulled the sword because she felt sorry for him, not because they had something going on

you are such a beta to think otherwise
>>
>>341775735
yeah I do, but considering what happened to our sidekick (trying to avoid spoilers for OP), makes sense he'd become emotional at one point. Shit, it's a feat he didn't go completely insane.
>>
>>341774626
The story is literally about how rampant progressiveness is not good and mob mentality is terrible.
>>
>>341775718
They have newgame+ modes, but there's no incentive to actually play them in those. The enemies are easy as fuck regardless, actual game mechanics are still pretty shallow, the games don't have a lot of optional shit to do and replayability is minimal.
>>
>>341775820
>Well, the guy trapped in the sword is Red's boyfriend + bodyguard, so
no he isn't
>>
>>341775863
Did you even play the game?

It was beyond clear that they knew each other before Red got the Transistor... get better bait, son.
>>
>>341775450
Budgets tight and I thought since I never see discussion of any sort I thought I'd be safe from shitposting. Think I got the info I needed. Planning to get Bastion after this.
>>
>>341775863
they were lovers before the story began.
>>
good game, got the plat for it
>>
>>341773224
Its 75% off on gog, buy it anon
>>
Supergiant makes the good indishit.
>>
File: Echoes.png (765 KB, 583x803) Image search: [Google]
Echoes.png
765 KB, 583x803
If you liked Bastion you are probably going to like Transistor.
It's not as good as Bastion in my opinion and the plot is not nearly as memorable but it's good anyway.
My main criticism is that despite having more songs than Bastion, they use them way less, wich is a real shame because they are pretty good.
Another thing that bothered me is that the game is devoid of any challenge, at least Bastion had the "dreams" for players who wanted a challenge, Transistor has some extra stuff too but is easy as fuck in comparison.
>>
>>341773513
Pretty much my feeling

I wish death didn't lock you out of abilities for a time and you could switch them on the fly
>>
>>341775708
>saying this about a game where the gay people are the bad guys and the heterosexual couple are the good guys
>>
>>341773224
Might want to abort thread because plot discussion and shit, but my overall opinion of the game was:
>Fun combat, although it.can be hard or annoying to get into at first
>all the different function combinations are fun to play with, and you unlock lore tidbits by experimenting
>writing is subjective, i really liked it. the main protagonists are cool
>artstyle and soundtrack are 10/10
>short which sucks, kind of easy, but eh
I recommend.
>>
>>341775450
Except it's not. After you spend enough time here you learn how to smell shitposting from 2 miles away. People who speak like that are either new or retarded.
>>
File: Datei 17.06.16 22 39 16.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Datei 17.06.16 22 39 16.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
It's pretty good. Just don't expect to understand the story. Like, ever. It's vague as fuck by design.
>>
>>341776542
No way, that would make it stupidly easy. The gameplay is perfectly fine the way it is.
>>
>>341776273

Bastion is good as well, but for some reason I enjoyed transistor more.... Maybe it was because I played it first....

Both are good OP you cant go wrong. Bastion has a more "save the world feeling", transistor has a more "romantic" feeling, but also has some "save the world" as well.
>>
Old man in Bastion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sword bf

Did the sword bf even have anything interesting to say? It was all "hey this place is x, do you know what is happening red? I don't"
>>
>>341775863
He was her boyfriend anon
>>
>>341773224
artstyle and osts are great
story and gameplay are mediocre at best
It's only 5 hours long too
>>
>>341773224
All you need to know is that a lesbian ruined everything for everyone because Red wasn't into her.
>>
>>341776731
No it wouldn't, and it would mean you could select good load out for fights instead of just hoping this new set you just chose is any good and then finding out it is useless and you have to get through a fight with it
>>
>>341776724
>Gays wanna rule the world
>World ends

Makes enough sense.
>>
>>341776724
>It's pretty good. Just don't expect to understand the story. Like, ever. It's vague as fuck by design.
C'mon dude, it's not that complicated. Starts off confusing, but after like 2 hours, it all clicks perfectly.

ask what confused you and I'll share my take on it
>>
>>341776840
>>
>>341776724
The story is easy and only vague on a few points
>Some people are big wigs
>Decide they want everyone to stop fucking with the city
>Make big event that will format everything and put people in a usb sword (which you find and read about)
>You run through the game seeing this gets worse
>Fight boss man
>commit wordsearch cause world is fucked

The stuff it is vague on is cause there isn't much there which makes the whole thing a bit unsatisfying
>>
File: 1452917774253.jpg (56 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
1452917774253.jpg
56 KB, 636x636
>>341776757
I really liked his dynamic with Red nearing the end.

Where she's able to communicate with him through random computer screens.
>>
>>341776984
Yes it would. You're removing the tactical part of the gameplay and making it piss easy. Having to get through a fight with a illsuited or limited ability list due to death, especially a boss fight, and actually doing it feels amazing and if it doesn't work guess what? You can change your abilities when you die and give it another go.

I remember defeating the Spire when I only had the blink(?) ability left. That was so tense.
>>
>>341777420
that's the swords jacket she's wearing there, she had a fancy dress during the concert at the start of the game that she tore out for mobility. I just felt like pointing that out
>>
I feel like it never became difficult enough. The final boss battle made me think I was at the midway point. There seemed to be a lot of complexity to the abilities, but I never felt required to use it. It's worth playing, but I wouldn't pick it up if it's not on sale.
>>
>>341777420
It was a neat gimmick but the writing was never good enough that I cared
>>
>>341773224

I like it a lot. Its a very good "experience", I'd say.
The combat is kind of like a puzzle, if that's your style. I really enjoyed it too.
The ost is really good and some tracks will give you the shivers, specially in certain boss battles.

In the end, it was a really good game for me.
>>
>>341777621
Limiting the player like that is not good design

Having to fight through a battle with a shit load out isn't fun as you end up having to just cheese your way through some how. How one earth does it feel amazing to not be able to fight effectively? Do you play through fps games only using a shitty pistol? No, cause you want to use a variety of guns. It also discourages changing your set up as you may end up fucked because of it, taht is bad design when you have multiple load oits
>guess what? You can change your abilities
Then let me do that when I want
>>
>>341777061
Nigger, I've played the game over 4 times and discussed it with numerous people, there is no way you can answer any of this. But here we go:

Where the fuck does the final battle against Royce take place? Why are there multiple giant transistors in the background? Why are the people of Cloudbank in capsules? Is it a layer of reality above Cloudbank? If so, how can Royce and Red be there? How can one, let alone two Transistors exist outside of Clodbank?
What is the country? It has to be more than an euphemism for death. Is it the outside world (aka in which Cloudbank is a simulation? Is it the same place as where we fight Royce?
After Red kills herself she and Mr. Nobody are seen together in what looks like to be 'The Country (TM)'. It is implied that they are now both absorbed by the Transistor. In the background we see Rye and a barn. Which is the except same scenery where we fight Royce, except without the giant Transistors in the background. Are they the same place? If yes, how can Red and Royce be inside the Transistor while both are using Transistors themselves? If no, why do these places even look similar? If we go with the theory that all of this is just an infinite recursive stack of virtual realities within virtual realities, as NG+ implies, how the fuck do we go from Red and Nobody living in the country to a new Cloudbank within the same simulation. Speaking of NG+, why does "Hey Red, we are not going to get away with this are we?" sound like Royce?

Non of that crap makes any sense.
>>
>>341777350
Ctrl + s that shit next time, also.
Why did they try to kill Red with the interdimensional sword the way they did? They trew their most powerful weapon at her like it was a rock or something. Like "Wait Spongebob, we are not cavemen, we have technology"
>>
>>341773224
I liked it but they tried to be so artistic with the story that it wraps back around to being white noise. It was nice to see what would happen to tumblr if it became a physical place though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMyoI-Za6z8
>>
File: 1466002146781.jpg (368 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1466002146781.jpg
368 KB, 1920x1080
>>341773224
It's worth $5
>>
>>341778145
no the game is like 3 years old
>Why did they try to kill Red with the interdimensional sword the way they did?
to get her on it and that one character was jealous and hated her. Also her voice was meant to inspire people so they wanted to get that one

But most stuff in the game just doesn't have much to it cause they didn't write much
>>
>>341778034
>Being so shit at video games you demand the game roll over for you
>Not liking a challenge
>waah why won't the game designers do it the way I want instead waah why am I so bad at this game it must be the games fault

Fuck off DSP
>>
File: 1466097791519.jpg (76 KB, 788x473) Image search: [Google]
1466097791519.jpg
76 KB, 788x473
>>341774626
>le sjw boogeyman may-may
>>
>>341776749
Wasn't aware romance was that prominent in transistor. too late now I'm sure it's not that bad...right?
>>
>>341778396
Fucking faggot
Also, the process nom'd everyone without problem, they didn't have to throw the whole thing. At least they could have tied a chain or something to the sword so they could pull the thing after throwing it.
>>
>>341778061
alright, maybe you even got deeper into the story than me, but the battle is inside the Transistor, but how come both are wielding Transistors? I don't know, maybe the sword is just a tool to suck you into the Transistor.

"Why are there multiple giant transistors in the background? Why are the people of Cloudbank in capsules?" No clue on either of these, but the country is I assumed just a part of the Transistor, witch is a simulated reality, just like cloudbank. Maybe it's like layered, so real world > transistor > cloudbank, and the people in capsules are like plugged into a deeper level of VR? Actually, that sounds retarded.

And yes, the Barn scene is in the same place as the final fight. Why does it look different, well it's virtual reality, you have infinite space and infinite possibilities to change anything you want

I honestly thought you were just confused over more basic shit.
>>
>>341773224
It's good

Combat has some decent depth to it, especially compared to Bastion
Soundtrack is fucking amazing
Story is interesting, and the world in general is really interesting, especially if you like transhumanism or cyberpunk without all the grimderp

I think it's better than bastion
>>
>>341778853
>they didn't have to throw the whole thing
No but they did, that's all there is to it cause the game is pretty weak on the story front
>>
>>341775863
You are literally retarded, holy shit ahahahahaha.
>>
>>341773224
>does /v/ like it.

/v/ hates everything why bother asking
>>
>>341778253
>As you progress further into the boss fight the song becomes more and more distorted until it turns into this
>Sybil's lines turning from antagonistic into pleading and desperation

That boss fight was the moment I knew how much I liked the game.
>>
>>341773224
If it's on summersale for 50%+, it's definitely worth picking up.
>>
>>341773224
It's pretty good. It's a very lonely game, so prepare your butthole.

I think it could have used more mob variety. I kind of feel like they spent a lot of effort on putting together the combinations of abilities, and not as much effort into making the situations you use them in that diverse.

If it were me making the game I probably would have dispensed with the quasi-realtime elements of the combat. For me that only ever meant that I'd spend time dodging damage until I could execute a series of attacks again, and that was kind of like having my thumb up my ass in those periods.

I recommend the game though.
>>
>>341778853
The whole killing Red thing was done out of jealousy though of one of the chicks going rogue. She wanted to use the transistor to remove the body, but it accidentally ate boyfriend.
>>
>>341778145

Because they didn't know how to fucking use it. Royce says as much.
>>
File: pc.gif (3 MB, 260x200) Image search: [Google]
pc.gif
3 MB, 260x200
>>341778690

No, its not the main point. It just develops over time(and im sorry, but by saying that I probably spoiled some small stuff for you, but its not that you dont see it coming)...

How can I say.... I say that transistor(for having a small amount of people) becomes more "personal", her interaction with the sword. Bastion has a more "broader" approach.

But like I said, worry not, both makes you worry about the world, both makes you wander wtf is going on, both makes you wanna save it. It just that transistor has a little bit more character development I dare say(IMO obviously)

Relax and enjoy the ride, you are not going to play a romance movie.
>>
The entire story is basically "local gays ruin everything".
>>
>>341779393

*wonder.
>>
>>341779272
Once you start piling on the limiters is when shit gets really interesting

Priority in particular forces you to actually git gud with the lesser-used ones
>>
>>341779321
She always wanted to get rid of the boyfriend. She loved Red, and was jealous of the boyfriend.
>>
>>341779507

If you also think that lotr is:" Big guy makes ring and fucks everything up", then its fair...
>>
>>341779272
>dodging damage until I could execute a series of attacks again, and that was kind of like having my thumb up my ass in those periods.
This, the game didn't feel tactical as much as how well can you run around till the stop is charged
>>
>>341779507
Royce is literally the only member of the Camerata who ISN'T confirmed to be gay.

Sibyl: Lesbian with a boner for Red
Asher: Fuckboi and also husband of Grant
Grant: See Asher
>>
when you speak I hear silence

Is there any plans for another game by supergiant?
>>
>>341780050
They are currently making a game called Pyre
>>
>>341780050
They're working on some shit game called Pyre involving gypsy handball.
I was sad when I saw it.
>>
>>341780050
Are you living under a rock?
https://www.supergiantgames.com/games/pyre/
>>
How is the camera distance in relation to Bastion? It seems so much farther away for me.
>>
>>341780050
Yeah Pyre, it looks weird sports thing

not sure I'm interested
>>
>>341779820

Royce was pretty reasonable.
>>
>>341780050
Every word a defiance.

They've got a new game coming out called Pyre, a party-based RPG .
>>
>>341780253
That's because Red doesn't have a giant head like the Kids does. But yeah, its slightly zoomed out compared to Bastion.
>>
I loved Bastion, but for some reason I couldn't stand Transistor.
Story telling and combat were just horrible.
Pirate it, or buy it on sale.
>>
>>341779820
That''s because Royce is the nerd of the group and nerd don't get to love anyone.
>>
>>341780361
I can understand if people don't like the story, but whats wrong with the combat? There is literally thousands of possible skill combinations.
>>
>>341779794
Remember that red attack that debuffs enemies?
It's called Void(), combine it with get() so enemies get drawn to the center, then use the most powerful AoE you have.
There, thats a one turn kill for almost every fight in the game.
>>
>>341779656

Except the entire reason the world gets fucked is because of Sybil being a crazy lesbian and Grant/Asher being too in love with each other to actually clean up their mess. Local gays ruin everything.
>>
>says the game is easy
>hasn't beaten NG+ with all limiters enabled

Bastion and Transistor have the most customizable difficulty setting I've ever seen.
>>
Its better than bastion but much shorter
>>
>>341780538
>literally thousands
Nigga, you dumb.
>>
>>341780538
Not that anon, but I didn't like the whole stop time and choose your moves mechanic that the combat relied heavily on. To me, it felt like it broke up the pacing of the combat. What I loved about Bastion's combat is how fluid it was.
>>
>>341773969
I would say the ending was rushed which sucked ( well the last 1/4 of the game felt rushed). Ending itself I didn't mind
>>
>>341780354
oh no, that will stir my autism
>>
>>341773224
one of my all time favorite games of all time. Worth the buy definitely, gameplay is a great mesh of bastion style beat em up and rpg gameplay. Great art and music, decent story.
>>
>>341780589
There is no way to stop the process without the Transistor. Asher says so himself, but Red won't hand it over while Nobody is still stuck there. There is nothing anyone could have done, once the Camerata lost control and Nobody teleported Red to the other end of the city.
>>
File: español_porfavor.png (414 KB, 773x373) Image search: [Google]
español_porfavor.png
414 KB, 773x373
>>341780741
I did, was pretty easy. Only limiter thats kind of annoying is the one that puts shells on enemy cells.
>>
>>341780538
What this guy said >>341779272

They put a lot into what stuff could do together, not think if it was really worth it or it scenarios were all that good or if enemies were very interesting to fight. The whole stopping mechanic just didn't seem very good in general, the game wasn't tactical enough to warrent it and if it had been pure action instead it may have been more interesting and attack, run around, pause, attack. The ending where you fight the same few guys again and again is especially bad
>>
>>341780939

Red DID hand it over. Maybe if they actually spoke to her like Royce did, they would have gotten somewhere.
>>
>>341780741
no one wants "reduce your ability to stack skills and passives together" as a difficulty setting
literally artificial difficulty
>>
>>341780589
Sybil is definitely the reason everything got out of control. However Grant and Asher couldn't do anything to stop what was coming without the Transistor so I don't get what you mean by them cleaning up their mess.
>>
>>341781184
really the mess starts when they take it upon themselves to try to architect reality
sibyl just adds fuel to the fire they were already starting
>>
>>341781402

Cloudbank was already architecting reality through voting long before Royce got involved.
>>
Im about to blow your minds /v/
The story of transistor is all a romanticized story of a PC with a virus that is getting its hard drive wiped. Thr Transistor is a USB that the user of the pc is using to backup valuable data before they are lost.
>>
>>341780782
Nigger, you realize that you can beat the game while never using Turn once? Plenty of configurations are viable for real time. Also Jaunt works even when turn is recharging, so if you combine it with an aoe damage buff, you can deal damage while Junting while you wait for Turn to recharge instead of hiding like a little bitch.

>>341780756
Too lazy to calculate but: There are 16 functions which can be assigned to 4 slots and a 5th passive slot. Each slot has two upgrade slots, which makes the number of total net abilities for ONE slot 256 if you only consider ONE upgrade slot. 256 unique abilities, not counting two upgrade slots or double functions in ng+.
>>
>>341781184
>hey, we fucked up the world
>instead of trying to contact royce or telling Red why we would need the transistor, let's just fucking kill ourselves

This is would be a point of contention of Royce didn't do the exact thing I'm talking about.
>>
>>341781658
Except the transistor could build stuff with those "virus" before said "virus" went nom nom on what they had built.
Explain that.
>>
>>341781809
>just ignore a core mechanic if you don't like it
Well at that point I'm just going to play Bastion.
>>
>>341781809
His point still stands though, just cause you can get a combination going that is good enough to let you ignore a main mechanic doesn't change it is one and that you have now limited yourself
>>
>>341781809
You are indeed to lazy to calculate, you have to discount duplicates (Unless is ng++) and the fact that A B C D plays the same as B A D C. The total number is much lower.
>>
>>341781165
Okay, the memory limiter is dumb. But you don't even need fill memory to build an OP set which absolutely destroys everything. If it weren't for that limiter, you could use two Cull() and two Void()s in a build that has also plenty of defense and movement. It's called balance. Git gud. Also limiters are optional.
>>
>>341781613
yes, and a group of shitters took it upon themselves to hunt down talented people, and use their abilities to and choose for everyone
>>
>>341782007
The core mechanic is building abilities out of functions. The time stop thing is just a gimmick.
>>
>>341782291
>The time stop thing is just a gimmick.
You're not really helping. Now a big part of the combat is just a "gimmick". That's not really a good thing, and might explain why so many people don't like the combat as much as Bastion's combat.
>>
>>341782007
You literally complained that the combat isn't like Bastion. I told you how to make the game play as if it was Bastion and you're still not happy?
>>
>>341782117
Do you have downs, my friend?
I said no one wants difficulty built around that. It's a bad design choice.

Try playing a game where mobs all have a variety of behaviors that they perform, and the difficulty of the game comes from being able to read and react to those behaviors.

Then play a game where the difficulty is mobs have a shield that soaks damage, you have less power, there are just more mobs, etc.

Tell me that's fun in comparison.
>>
>>341782291
>building abilities out of functions
But you limit what you choose so you can ignore that "gimmick" which just happens to have huge emphasis on it, so you are saying the game just fucks over the core mechanic so it can push a gimmick
>>
>>341782465
Bastions combat is a clusterfuck (especially with any limiter other than Pyth) and it puzzles me how so many people prefer it over Transistors.
>>
>>341782584
What should limiters do instead, then?
>>
>>341782612
Yeah, sorta. But the gimmick is actually fun as fuck (before the prediction starts lying to you). Too bad you didn't like it, but I had a blast.
>>
I found its gameplay to be pretty shitty, as was Bastion's.
>>
>>341782827
I don't like limiters as a design feature at all.
I'd just add AI behaviors to mobs in each NG+ cycle.
>>
>>341782991
Then don't turn them on?
>>
>>341782572
Listen fucker, an anon asked:
>>341780538
>but whats wrong with the combat?
I said why I didn't like the combat. I didn't ask for you to try to sell me on the game.

>>341782717
A clusterfuck? Like so much going on in the screen that you don't know what is happening? I beat Bastion with all the limiters on, and never had the problem. Only limiter that ever really fucked me was the one that made enemies drop death grenades when you killed them. I would kill a mob and just run through it without thinking, then I'm dead.
>>
>>341782983
You don't play these kind of games for the gameplay. That's just a neat bonus.
>>
>>341782991
>>341782827
Or make those limiters change AI behaviours in more interesting ways, I think Bastion even did that where one made enemies more aggressive
>>
>>341781824
https://youtu.be/Yqp3tGgYJac?t=1m17s

Except they do mention that they tried to fix things without the Transistor and that they realised that unfortunately it wasn't possible, not only that but Asher knows Red was not ready to hand the Transistor over to them after all that had happened. Red did go there specifically to fight them after all.

Royce was the furthest away from the center of the city because he knew how the Process worked and how to avoid it, hence why in the end he was the only other person standing and because of that Red knew she had to hand it over to him in order for there to be any chance of Cloudbank being rescued.
>>
Final boss is pretty cool, wish there were more fights like that.
>>
>>341773224
dont buyt it, it sucks. its a simple game with some good art. i dont know how people can say this is a great game.
>>
>>341783183
Did you play the Strangers dream with all limiters? It's a mess.

>enemies regaining health
>enemies being bullet sponges
>enemies slowing you down when they touch you
>enemies hurting you when they touch you
>enemies dropping bombs when they die
>enemies reflecting projectiles according to a dice roll
>enemies moving fast as fuck
>>
>>341783248
i rly? u play for what? sucking dick? u faggot
>>
>>341783543
I think there is a difference between something being a clusterfuck, which I would define as too much happening on the screen to know what is going on, and it just being stupid hard. I will agree that the strangers dream with all the limiters on is on the frustrating side of being difficult, but I never got lost on the screen.
>>
One thing I didn't understand is why did being near The Spine affect Red's boyfriend so badly?
>>
>>341783283
Pyth doesn't make them more aggressive, it just lowers the internal cooldown of their state machine, increasing their DPS. But yeah, I'll give you that. Still, limiters are much better than the traditional easy, normal, hard which just adjusts health and damage values.
>>
>>341783796
One of the many things which are unexplainable, sadly.
>>
>>341773224
Pretentious hipster garbage.
>>
>>341783543
That's an optional side bit which is meant to be very hard, you don't judge what a game is like based on a side mission made to be a gauntlet with all the stupid shit turned up
>>
>>341783845
>Still, limiters are much better than the traditional easy, normal, hard which just adjusts health and damage values.
Depends on how they are implement cause they >>341782584 's whole point is they were the same. Changes to the Ai is way superior
>>
>>341784048
During the endgame of Transistor I played with all limiters on, and the challenge was far less artificial, thanks to the customization of the functions.
>>
>>341784293
The implementation is flawed, I agree. But the system itself is genius and more games should rip it off.
>>
>>341784385
>endgame
vs side thing, there is a clear difference their

Also fighting those hair guys 10 times in a row wasn't fun and got very boring
>>
>>341774626
/pol/babies are easiest triggred people on the internet, please stop watching movies and playing vidya so you can stop shitting up /tv/ and /v/
>>
Weird gameplay, beautiful presentation and music, confusing story. I didn't notice any SJW bullshit though, guess summer brought in some sensitive Redditors or something
>>
>>341783248
The problem is that their stories are tryhard 2deep4u shit. Bastion was nearly as bad as Bioshock Infinite with the praise it received, 11/10 muh art, when I played it was nothing amazing at all.
>>
>>341784943
/pol/ is a board of peace
>>
>>341785923
if bastion's themes were too sophisticated for you, then i suggest sticking to coloring books
>>
Its worth noting how well the part about the two gay villains was written, no bells and whistles, no big deal made about it, no shocking reveal, no tacked on btw im gay ;). It was presented so naturally, where as someone like neo-Bioware would shit out something horrible and make it seem forced as fuck.
>>
>>341773224
>finished it like 3 months ago
>I'm still listening to the OST almost daily

Its just so fucking good.
The game itself took me sometime to like but when I did I fell in love with.
Combat wasnt that much fun but fusing skills together and testing the results was a lot of fun.
Plot was interesting but I think they could have handled it better. Its a bit like Dark Souls, where you will only understand whats going on if you read the extra info about the characters and skills. Shame that the game wasnt popular enough for discussions and theories.
Overall it was a nice ride, I'm glad I didnt give up on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tIUr_ex3g
>>
This is the only game with a dedicated humming button.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Yaf25e4Zw
>>
It's western and it's indie, that's two strikes against according to /v/.
>>
>>341790791
quality post
>>
>>341774205
This. I've never had a company before so consistently all around great that I've decided I'd buy every single game they make until supergiant
>>
>>341775982
actually, yes he is. it's literally confirmed in-game. you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>341791374
You're replying to a 2 hour old post
>>
>>341792018
so? i'm reading through the thread and responding to what i want to respond to
>>
>>341790626
we had some nice discussions a while after it came out. i think i've got basically the entire game figured out.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DviyuGNeWc
i fucking love royce
>>
>>341775218
not that anon, buts its pratically the same game but with shitty boring combat that at the start is neat but halfway through you realize is just boring. you can even use a combo that doesn't use the (turn) system or whatever and its still bland. and the final boss insulted my senses.
>>
>>341773224
I absolutely loved it. It feels really comfy but the game only becomes really good once you find a build that suits you. Played 3 times through it.
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.