[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were you when Microsoft effectively ruined console generations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: xbox.jpg (42 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
xbox.jpg
42 KB, 800x450
Where were you when Microsoft effectively ruined console generations? Or is the scorpio gunna be considered 9th gen? I think its kind of weird if were going to hit 9th gen next year while 7th gen games are still coming out
>>
>>341758495
>buying consles
Kek
>>
>>341758495
Nintendo already did that by releasing WiiU early, then announcing the NX, forcing Sony's and MS's hand both times.
>>
>>341758768
Is the NX really something sony and microsoft should be worried about? Like reggie said its "not about specs". Or do they just want to bury nintendo anyway to get them to go 3rd party and try to buy their developers?
>>
File: 1453364914111.jpg (280 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453364914111.jpg
280 KB, 1920x1080
>>341758768
>forcing Sony's and MS's hand both times.
>>
>>341758768

>Nintendo forcing anyones hands anymore

You're pretty stupid, anon. Nintendo haven't been a threat to Sony or MS for quite a long time now. The Wii dipped significantly in its last few years and the Wii U bombed so hard, as far as the casual "gamer" is concerned nintendo isn't even relevant in the console space anymore
>>
This is the future, cuck. In a few years there will be only xbox machines and maybe steam/sony machines.
>>
>>341758495
Little jimmy and his buds don't give a shit about specs. They want their Halo and CoD.
>>
File: 1457557274511.jpg (639 KB, 1200x833) Image search: [Google]
1457557274511.jpg
639 KB, 1200x833
>M$ forced this
>Not Sony and Neo
I'm not knocking it till I see how they handle it. It's got me curious how they'll support everything the Xbone does going forward, with Dan and Phil both saying Scorpio only titles can't relase till holiday 2018. That's an entire year of XBone + scorpio compatabilty. It seems Xbox is becoming prebuilt PCs, and it's peaked my interest how multiple Xboxs are going to co-exist.
>>
>>341760734
after that wont almost every dev jump on scorpio only? then scorpio will be gen 9 and console cycles will be fucking 4 years. If that happens im definitely leaving console gaming
>>
>>341760934
What do you think will happen if the Scorpio becomes 600 dollars and sell worse than the Wii U?
>>
>>341760934
>after that wont almost every dev jump on scorpio only?
Who knows. I doubt the scorpio will get the same playaerbase XBone has right now in just a year, and porting back and forth is easy since it's still the same x64 architecture. Why go scorpio only, if Xbone has a bigger playerbase + it's easy to port games?
>>
>>341758495
I don't think anyone is going to buy into this and the only thing MS is going to ruin is another console.
>>
>>341760137
>Nintendo haven't been a threat to Sony or MS for quite a long time now.
I used to sort of agree with this, not sure I buy it anymore. With the current state of the console industry and it's contracting sales numbers, even a vaguely resurgent Nintendo probably pushes one of the other two clear out of the industry.
>>
>>341760934

This is the last console generation and the Xbox One will be Microsoft's last console. They'll continue updating it ala iOS devices, and they'll start dropping support for the earlier consoles.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the way Sony heads too.
>>
>>341760934
I doubt it. Scorpio isn't going to sell as well in it's first year as the Xbone has in 5 at that stage. Plus it's still the same hardware and architecture, so it's not like making a Xbone version would be hard. I mean devs already make muliple PC graphic/res/fps settings.
>>
>>341758495
Really hope this tanks xbone sales

Really.
>>
>>341758495
Sony confirmed psneo before Microsoft announced scorpio
>>
File: pimpwalk.gif (774 KB, 400x274) Image search: [Google]
pimpwalk.gif
774 KB, 400x274
>>341758495
>implying the idea of a 7-year console cycle could keep going on forever when technological advancement is exponential and not linear
Funny shit, OP.

Scorpio and Neo aren't 9th gen, they're the same general architecture and the same operating system(s). They're just more powerful so they can hit certain benchmarks (4k)

I will say that if you don't own a 4k TV and you buy a Scorpio or Neo you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>341761318
Xbox S is the third best seller on Amazon. It's not out for 2 months, and this is the most expensive 2TB version. I doubt it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-PC-Video-Games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bs_nav_0
>>
>>341760934
>after that wont almost every dev jump on scorpio only?
Don't be a retard. Devs make exclusives when they're paid to, otherwise they try to release on as many platforms as possible for obvious reasons. You want to be exposed to as large of an install base as possible.

Scorpio-only titles will be funded by M$.
>>
>>341758495
>Microsoft ruined console generations.
>Not Nintendo and it's releasing underpowered consoles halfway into the actual cycle.
>>
>>341759004
if its not about specs why make a new console
>>
>>341761607
>when technological advancement is exponential and not linear
The type of stuff that goes into mainstream consumer game consoles is slowing down and the advancements are getting more marginal for increasing cost [i.e. content creation costs, not the cost of memory or whatever].

14nm is probably going to be here for a while and it's probably the last process for a good while that is going to make chips less expensive, not more. I don't think Intel is making good progress on 10nm and who knows if IBM and whoever they are working with are going to hit their 7nm targets [which is going to be very expensive]. There's doubt that 5nm is even possible, even though I think 3nm is the "theoretical limit".

Console hardware cycles SHOULD be slowing down. It's a joke to sell people on a system and than pretty much every game you baited them with takes 3-4 years to come out.
>>
>>341761920
Fuck off with that 8 year gen meme
That shit held off evolution.
>>
>>341761160
I think casuals with too much money probably will go for it
>>
Scorpio is just a prebuilt Windows 10 PC.
>>
>>341758495
Microsoft can't ruin anything, because just like the previous xbone, nobody is gonna pay attention to it. This goes even more since their games are now multiplat.
>>
>>341762109
they could have re-released wii u with no tablet, just a pro controller and called it NX lmao

>inb4 thats what it is
>>
>>341758768
How has Nintendo shitting the bed forced anyone's hand? Sony is basically just releasing a slightly more power ps4. It isn't a next gen console at all. As for Microsoft, the Scorpio sounds like a next gen console, but even that is unknown so far.
>>
>>341762279
>it held off evolution
>here are the same third person shooters you had before in a higher resolution, but now it's only 5 hours long
>also, buy my DLC anon
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>341758768
You're a fucking joke, the wii and wii u didn't force shit, they are both terrible consoles, the ps2 gen went from 2001 to 2006, and from 2006 to 2012/13 for the ps4.

It was simply time for a new console, and the ps4 absolutely obliterated the xbox forcing them to try and force the next gen early.

nintendo is irrelevant.
>>
>console generation

I cant believe you cant see what is clear as day in your face:

Games will now be bound to software, not hardware.

Microsoft already began the process. From now on, you wont be Playing a xbox or pc game, you wil be Playing a "live" game, which can be accessed on both xbox and pc.

Soon MS will Probably go the steam machine route and let third parties make hardware as long as It run the newest Windows version, will slap a xbox sticker on it, a games interface and call It a console.

The idea of a ps4 neo isnt too far from that, but given they dont have a os to shill, Sony will Probably start to do stuff like three consoles a gen, the low end, the mid end and the high end /entusiast, put the same software, and give It to devs
>>
File: 1462414131418.jpg (168 KB, 1015x1527) Image search: [Google]
1462414131418.jpg
168 KB, 1015x1527
>People not liking this idea
No one forces you to upgrade until you have no option but to just like on PC. Xboxs are essentially PCs now. Devs still support old GPUs/CPUs, and it's even easier for them to support older consoles now they're the same architecture and fixed one spec hardware. The XBone could be supported till 2020 easily with its hardware. And devs can easily port games back to it, because they've already made games for it before, and all future Xboxs are gonna be x64 and AMD+AMD just like it. If M$ handle this well, it could be great. Why go scorpio for 4k, when my Xbone is still getting supported? I'll wait till scorpio 2 for 4k + 120fps etc. And M$ have no reason to fuck you over, because that's just lost sales.
>>
Sonyggers are on fucking suicide watch. Based Phil
>>
>>341763460
My issue is you have to rely on devs+MS not being retards. PCs biggest issue is lazy ports and shoddy optimization. Say BF1 was XBone only/scorpio only, EA got it to run at 1080p 60fps on Xbone, and 4k 120fps on scorpio due to only caring for one platform. Now they have to make it for both, EA still has the same time/resources as before, but now needs to make it for an extra platform, now it's only 900p at a shifty 60fps on XBone, and 1440 uprender with a shifty 120fps on scorpio due to that.
>>
Performance and graphics only get very small improvments at this point. Every console person should be aware at this point that they just get hardware upgrades like a pc, with the difference that every game works on pc and is not limted to a certain console tier
>>
>>341764494

Good decent devs can handle It. The small ones might have a problem, though.

The solution is make the game on xbone and just throw a upscale or a small AA multiplier over It and call It a day, but then the scorpio owners will be cucked cause the devs wont push their new consoles to the maximum
>>
>>341764868
That's my point. The potential of one console getting fucked over is high. They're already being cunts when it comes to content/pricing already. Imagine how little content Battlefront would've had if it needed to be made and optimized for scorpio AND Neo as well. And you're not opening the door to new consumers exactly, because it's the same platform.
>>
File: 1462970663373.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1462970663373.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>341758756
>mfw I have PS4, Xbone, and a PC that could slap your PC's shit.

Sure feels good not being poor.
>>
>>341765491

>Being proud of wasting money on the xbone

I csn understand the others, but xbone has literally nothing good over the other plataforms. I would rather have a wii u
>>
>>341765865
Maybe he want Rare collection and Halo?
>>
>>341765865
I prefer PS4's exclusives, and I primarily use the PC, but most of my friends have Xbones (don't ask me why), so I got one to play online with them.
>>
>>341766257
No Wii U?
>>
>>341766582
Nah. Maybe once NX comes out, I'll pick one up on the cheap. There should be a nice backlog piled up by then. I've gotten tired of the long dry spells between REAL games on Nintendo consoles in the last couple of generations.
>>
>ruined
>console anything
what's there to ruin, cake boy?
>>
>>341766959
Well, ZombieU was only good on WiiU, actually enjoyed Splatoon too.
I guess I'll take Scorpio after some time for Rare and other games that won't be on PC
>>
>>341758495
PS4 and XBone ruined console generations. Scorpio and Neo are just the result of that.
>>
Microsoft once started this giant push by porting PC games to the original Xbox.
Now they themselves primarily make PC games to port to consoles.
>>
Are 1000$ enough to build good PC?
>>
>scorpio
>ruining anything
it have been ruined since consoles wanted to become pcs
guess who started the stupidity
>>
>>341768286
No, need at least 3 thousand if you want two good 144hz monitors, mechanical keyboard, decent mouse and top of the line graphics card, cpu, ram, ssd, hardrive, network card, sound card, ram and cooling
>>
>>341768725
Already got monitor and mouse, so yeah I guess I still need another 1k
>>
>>341758495

moron, Nintendo already ruined console generations by releasing their hardware on such a staggared timeline. So you can't really tell if NX is catching up to this gen or starting a new gen. Sure, no one but faggots give a fuck about Nintendo at this point but still, generations are not clear cut anymore.
>>
>>341768286

Yeah. I built one 4 years ago with 1200 and It is Still going good. I mean, i cant max.most new games, but Playing doom on 50 frames on high is good enough
>>
>>341768286
>>341768974
yes its enough dont listen to elitist /g/ shitheads who needs top of the line super computers just to shitpost on 4chan
>>
File: 1460761868599.jpg (214 KB, 495x700) Image search: [Google]
1460761868599.jpg
214 KB, 495x700
>>341768974
>using only one monitor
>>
>>341768974
Dude, $800 is the uncanny valley for Gaming PC builds.
>>
>>341758495
Is the New 3DS considered a 9th gen handheld?

Was the DSi or PSP Go considered 8th gen handhelds?
>>
Would the Neo, the Xbone S, and the NEW! 3DS be considered, "8.5"th Gen?
>>
>>341769464
I guess "Gen" definition going to die soon, my guess they will just upgrade their consoles every 4 year
>>
When you are salty, do you hate the game or the player?
>>
>>341768286
Absolutely. That's enough to get everything you should need and be able to run most anything at 1080p60FPS if you're able to settle for med graphics settings. Or a dip if you go higher.
>>
>>341766257
if your friends don't have pc's than they're not real friends
>>
>>341758495
Just another baby step towards merging with the PC
>>
>>341760934
>then scorpio will be gen 9 and console cycles will be fucking 4 years. If that happens im definitely leaving console gaming

You think butthurt sony is gonna let ms have 2flops over them for 3-4 years?

Except a new play station 1-2 years after scorpio launches
>>
>>341761607
>thinking they'll game in 4k

topkek m80
>>
>>341772223

That's actually why I'm switching over. I'd rather spend 300-400 in a single graphics card with power every 4 years than a shitty budget cpu and budget gpu with hdd every 4 years. They should go modular if they're gonna do this shit. But they hate/fear the idea of people having access to hardware and modular is also more expensive.
>>
File: 1456526153840.jpg (56 KB, 464x464) Image search: [Google]
1456526153840.jpg
56 KB, 464x464
>>341771901

>mfw made all my friends switch to pc
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.