[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /v/, I need a new 4x fantasy based game, or RTS (No space)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Archdruid_TheWildHunt.jpg (600 KB, 1920x1148) Image search: [Google]
Archdruid_TheWildHunt.jpg
600 KB, 1920x1148
Ok /v/, I need a new 4x fantasy based game, or RTS (No space)

Civ5: Ok, but gets boring after 2 hours
Endless legend: After 3-4 games it feels like you've seen most of the game and units/combat system

Age Of Wonders 3: Good game, just that if one of your heroes dies early in the game it fucks you over, and as soon as you have tier IV units you fuck over just about anything.

Sorcerer King: Interesting concept, but the map feels so bland, and the combat strength of enemies isn't always clear, especially in the beginning. Having 3 rangers oneshot your healer/ranged without being able to reach them in time sucks dick.

I just want a strategy game with good combat/exploration/expansion with a huge range of different units that are viable.
Most other games, especially the space ones feel like autism simulators that are more of a chore than actually having fun and leveling your units.
>>
>>341756756
Warlock: Master of the Arcane
>>
>>341756756
Sounds more like you want a fantasy TBS, not a 4x. Expand your search in that direction and you might find a few more things.

Expeditions: Conquistador
Disgaea (sp?)
HoMM
Fallen Enchantress
Eador
Dominions
Grimrock 1&2
>>
>>341756756
Fall from Heaven 2 and its various submods. It's a mod for CiV4. So it won't have good combat, but a huge variety of units and factions.
>>
>>341757085
Forgot to mention that one, have it installed aswell.

>>341758269
Homm looked pretty bad when I saw the videos, disgaea is more of my FFT itch.

I'll check out the ones you mentioned

I'm just looking for some good RPG/RTS/Tactics-based game that can sink a lot of hours in, but still be able to pick it up after a week.

>>341758503
I've read about it, I have Civ5 BNW on steam, but haven't found any good mods, I would prefer to have good combat since I usually go for the military/conquer victory over diplomacy and research.
>>
>>341758702
>I'm just looking for some good RPG/RTS/Tactics-based game that can sink a lot of hours in, but still be able to pick it up after a wee
Total War: Warhammer has been receiving praise everywhere. Sure, TW nerds complain about the lack of complexity, but it's supposed to be the most approachable and fun TW yet. Meets your requirements, at least.

Other suggestions:
Battle Brothers (fantasy brigand xcom)
Shadowrun series
Dwarf Fortress if you want to really have fun
Renowned Explorers for small bursts (about 2 hours per campaign run) of fun
Dungeon of the Endless for casual fun roguelite runs
Darkest Dungeon
Lords of Xulima (Wizardry clone)
Might and Magic X (same)
Elminage Gothic (ludicrously difficult, apparently)
Siralim 1 & 2 for PC Pokemon
>>
>>341759257
Oh, Divinity: Original Sin, if you haven't played that yet, is utterly fantastic. No real unit variety, but gameplay is top notch and combat is fun and challenging.
>>
>>341758702
Earlier Fire Emblem titles might interest you, in that case. Or perhaps you should make the leap to Grand Strats?
>>
Have you tried the King Arthur series?
>>
>>341759257
>Battle Brothers
Looks fun, i'll check it out
>Dwarf fortress
Always felt like it needs quite a bit of imagination

>renowned explorers
I finished around 3-4 runs before it felt waaaay too repetitive.

I'll check out the others, but am usually not fond of roguelites.

>>341759364
Played it for 5-6 hours but ended up preferring Path of Exile at the time, since I could MP.

>>341759445
I've got FFT-FFTadvance-FFTA2-FE Fates, awakening, tactics ogre and stella's glow, but the perma death really annoys me, seeing as I get fond of advancing with a group of characters.

>>341759614
>King Arthur
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24400/
This?
>>
>>341756756
You have good taste, anon.

HoMM5 is "OK." You'll miss the depth of AoW3's combat though.

Stay away from Age of Fear 2. Graphics don't mean much to me, but this is a pricey game for a minimalist java title.

Haven't played Massive Chalice yet.

Armello is a bit too undercooked. After a few games, you can beat the AI easily each time. Also, boardgame.

Talisman is actually ok. You have to like the boardgame style, but it has RPG elements and interesting RNG. DLC-heavy though.
>>
>>341761487
>Age of Fear 2
Holy shit I thought this was a legit newgrounds game.

>Massive chalice
Heard it's more of an X-Com kinda game

>Armello
Looks interesting but if it suffers from the same thing like Endless legend/AOW3 lategame, it gets pretty boring unless you want to handicap yourself

I was looking for some CIV5 BNW mods since I haven't played it for a year or so, but idk why but it feels so unpolished/slow/inferior to the other recent 4x's.

Also, these games are annoying to get into as MP since it ends up being an autism simulator with pre-planned turns mostly. It's the main reason me and friends stopped playing RTS, since it ends up in either try-harding or cheesing/perfect planning.
>>
>>341762505
> Age of Fear 2
Brought it on a $2 sale thinking that it was just poor graphics rendered in a windowed game client. Oh no! It's a Java Swing app! Sorry, but DosBox is where i draw the line -- Java Swing apps are a step below that.

Forgot to mention Telepath Tactics which seems to be a good SRPG, but has perma-death (you didn't seem to like that).
>>
>>341763105
>Java Swing
You know how embarassing it is when people regret paying $2 ...

The only reason I really hate perma-death is that it makes me savescum quite fast when I have a group of units i'm fond of. Most of these games also have heavy RNG, or the ogre/dragon oneshotting your unique hero.

When I played AOW3/Endless legend for the first time I got sucked into the game for 3-4 hours without noticing, which is a quality I highly value in most games.

It's hard to find a game that really scratches your itch, a bit like playing a new rts game for the first time that actually clicks.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.