[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Miyamoto: "New kind of Mario is coming"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Mario_ec92d1_2407510.jpg (104 KB, 650x504) Image search: [Google]
Mario_ec92d1_2407510.jpg
104 KB, 650x504
>having new people join Nintendo has allowed them to look "at the conventions with fresh eyes

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/16/e3-2016-nintendo-a-new-kind-of-mario-is-coming?abthid=57631b5bd7526c9d6f000010
>>
>maybe see it next year

FUCK. I was hoping it would launch with the NX

I'd be perfectly happy with 3D World 2 with Yoshi
>>
>>341720395
Open world Mario 64 kind of game where all the levels are connected? That would be pretty sweet.
>>
Mario really doesn't need its formula shaken up. Just make sure doesn't go back to the shitty 64/Sunshine style
>>
File: 1465177623435.jpg (78 KB, 444x460) Image search: [Google]
1465177623435.jpg
78 KB, 444x460
Fucking finally, we needed the gimmicky old man to go.

He really needs to take a break from making shitty games as recent. He used to be good, but he's getting too old for this shit.
>>
Open world 3D Mario platformer that is one fuckhuge dynamic level that evolves as you play.
>>
>>341720738
Why did it suddenly become cool to hate on 64 and Sunshine? /v/ really is filled with 13 year olds nowadays.
>>
>>341721374
because hating on old shit is hip.
>>
>>341721374
64 is still my favorite. Half of that is nostalgia, the other half is the ridiculous amount of movement options and being constanly busy. Going from long jumps to dives to wallkicks feels a lot more satisfying than fludd ever will.
>>
>>341721105
Now they only need to get rid of Aonuma so Zelda can be good again.
>>
>>341722334
Hey, I'm as "Fire Aonuma" as much as the next man, but honestly with everything shown with Breasts Of Wildfire, I'm cautious he might have actually learned things.

None of his traditional hallmarks are there. Instead, I just see things that evoke so much of Zelda 1, it's almost like a completely different person oversaw the project.

So either he's changed like the Grinch discovering the true meaning of Christmas....

or he actually finally likes Zelda 1 now.
>>
>>341722334
>Implying he didn't save Zelda with Breath of the Wild.
>>
File: blown the fuck off.gif (955 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
blown the fuck off.gif
955 KB, 360x270
>>341720395
>It's Mushroom Kingdom Warriors
>>
Platforming is dead as a mainstream genre on dedicated gaming consoles. Mario is a mascot character best used in casual games for smartphones, not on a dedicated piece of gaming hardware where people are increasingly turning to deep, rich single player experiences and competitive online games. Nintendo doesn't have a chance at the latter, but it's shown it can do the former well with Zelda, Metroid. Nintendo need to realise it's a losing idea to make their own hardware and put all their casual/kids franchises on iPhone/Android (they can still make 3DS games, but it's a dying audience everywhere except Japan) and put their "core gamer" series that teens and adults can enjoy on XBONE/PC/PS4 where their available audience is wildly bigger than the Nintendo console market.

Nintendo haven't been able to compete with the juggernauts since the N64/PS1 generation. Most people want their console to be more than just a gaming device and Sony and Microsoft can deliver that, Nintendo can't. Nintendo's share of the console market has been on an inevitable long term decline, with the Wii as a notable and unique exception that will never be replicated. The 80m people who bought a Wii for WiiSports and the gimmick games of that generation are now owned permanently by iPads and Smartphones.

The NX WILL be Nintendo's last console.
>>
>>341720738
64 is definitely the better world. Things actually had tension to them. The castle is mysterious. The mansion is genuinely scary, and the background feels really ominous for a Mario game. Compare the faces of Boos from Mario 64 and onward. What used to be unsettling is now a goofy cartoon. You never see no pianos anymore. The music isn't genuinely fucking scary or moody either. It always sounds like a parody of what it's trying to sound like. Like some saturday morning cartoon--especially Galaxy. Shit like the fire painting, chain chomps, echoey caves, poisonous gas in moody caves with tense music and brutal death animations make Mario 64 much more engrossing. You take it more seriously. It feels like they want me to throw my hands up in the air in a silly fashion and sigh in Sunshine and afterwards, whereas in 64 I'm disturbed and truly care for Mario, which is supported by the fact that all the jumps in 64 feel more menacing without FLUDD. Also Bowser seems like a menacing omnipotent threat, and his boss battles are hype as fuck, at least for a Mario game. I'm just stopping out of consideration for you guys, but even nowadays, I'm still disturbed by Mario's sounds when he gets fucking smooshed by a block, or is drowning in quicksand; not to mention fucking drowning.
>>
>>341720395

Anyone have an image similar to this, but the artstyle is more film noire/mafioso?
>>
File: Nooooooooooo!!!.png (245 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
Nooooooooooo!!!.png
245 KB, 639x480
>>341720738
>shitty 64/Sunshine style
>>
>>341722971
>It's another "Nintendo is doomed" guy

People have been saying "this is their last console" since the Gamecube.
>>
>>341722971
This is pretty well made bait but slightly too obvious and also tl;dr. Maybe cut out bits like "Nintendo should put their games on Sony/MS platforms" and shorten it a bit and a lot of people will fall for it.
>>
>>341720395
MARIO VR !
>>
It will be an open world Mario. At least I hope so.
>>
>>341722535
I'm sure he'll find a way to ruin it.

>>341722702
So he's some kind of savior now despite fucking up the series for two decades?
How much of a fanboy you'd have to be to think that?
>>
>>341720738
Have another reply, lad
>>
>>341720395
So basically they want to create a different type of game, but just in case in sucks they'll slap Mario on it hoping people will buy it.
>>
>>341720395
It means more Toad and Rosalina.
>>
>>341723276
If you check out the ancient Google groups from the mid 90s they've been saying it since the N64. Console wars never change.
>>
>>341724976
I recall reader's letters in magazines saying it about SNES. And I think there's an ancient newsgroup post saying it about NES.
>>
File: smu2.jpg (2 MB, 2400x3301) Image search: [Google]
smu2.jpg
2 MB, 2400x3301
>>341723513
Please yes.

>takes place in the entire Mushroom World
>the map looks like the ones from the Mario & Luigi handheld games
>it's pretty big but every zone is linked by warp pipes to a hub
>you can still go through all of it by foot, no loading screens
>the world map includes: Peach's Castle (also works as hub), Toad Town (where you find various minigames and other side activities), the sewers (with a pipe labyrinth), Bowser's Fortress, Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Jungle (and/or a construction site inspired by the original DK), Wario's Goldmine, Pianta Resort, E. Gadd's Laboratory, Rosalina's Planetarium or some sort of floating island, Yoshi's Island, plus a volcano, snowy mountains, a forest, a beach, an underwater land, a desert, a candy land
>some areas are huge, some are smaller
>you can chase whichever star you want in the order you prefer, and you can even see the stars in the distance while you're traveling
>to reach certain stars you need particular power-ups
>across the levels you'll find some blacked out "?" blocks
>you need to unlock those blocks to get the power-ups you need
>to unlock them you have to get certain stars (so for example you get the "star of the fire flower", you'll unlock all the fire flower "?" blocks across the map)
>some areas have Great stars (or King stars or whatever) that are protected by a boss
>getting these Great Stars unlocks playable characters (Luigi's Mansion = Luigi, Peach's Castle = Peach, etc.)
>FLUDD comes back as a power-up you find in "?" blocks
>so does Yoshi (like in SMW)
>maybe even hammers
>tons of cameos from every game of the franchise (Land, SMB2, and every major spinoff)
>a level which is a 3D version of SMB 1-1, where the star is on top of the flagpole
>>
>>341720395
Mario is now the teen nephew of the original mustache plumber.
>>
>>341720395
I just want a proper sequel to Mario64.
>>
>>341720395
Mario is now Maria, because male heroes are problematic.
>>
>>341720458
>3D World 2 with Yoshi
Literally no reason they couldn't have done this already on the Wii U
>>
File: 1432223294185.png (342 KB, 543x672) Image search: [Google]
1432223294185.png
342 KB, 543x672
>>341720395
>Miyamoto
>new conventions
I've heard that one before, and then we got Sticker Star. Nothing new will be fun when Miyamoto is in charge. Sure, the younger teams will come up with cool ideas, but Miyamoto will tell them "No, that just isn't Mario".
>>
>>341721105
With all the talk about letting the new blood handle things it makes you wonder if the old guard at Nintendo are trying to avoid going out the way Sakamoto did.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.