[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paper Mario Color Splash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14
Incase you missed it. Here's an interview with the assistant producer, Risa Tabata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlcNubU6bYA
>"Have you considered the idea of remastering an older Paper Mario game in HD like TTYD?"
>"If we make a TTYD, would you buy it?"

Would you?
>>
No. I already have a copy of it.
>>
A rogueport full of nothing but toads just wouldn't be any fun.
>>
>>341714703
Yeah, it was a good game, but I hate the idea that we are bagging for remakes now.
>>
>>341714703
Who wouldn't, is the better question. Unfortunately because of Wiiu's shitty sales it wouldn't add up in units sold and it'd just end up a buncha face shoving aka "SEE FANS DONT ACTUALLY WANT THIS" when it doesn't push huge numbers that satisfy the jew shareholders. WHICH Is complete bullshit considerin comparatively WiiU hasn't sold enough consoles for a large attach rate.
>>
Not sure.
I played it already, but if people buying a HD remake are supposed to "show nintendo they're interested in RPG elements" I guess nintendo actually was good in marketing all along.
>>
>>341714897
Shit, begging*
It's getting too late here.
>>
>>341715051
They should add TTYD for digital download on the eshop to test the water. They'll make profits without loss. If many people bought it, they'll safely remake the first two games.
>>
>>341714897
i agree but i really just want a way to play TTYD on my wii u, and if they made it HD (without any fucking "localization") then that's just icing on the cake.
>>
>>341714703
you know this was just a shitty non-answer right? they have no intent to do that, it was an off the cuff question by an interviewer and she just said that as a way to end the question without responding definitively.

>>341715524
yeah, that's what people said about earthbound and earthbound beginnings in relation to mother 3.
>>
>>341715524
Thing is a lot more people would have the game then.
>>
>>341716048
it's 2016, toasters and laptops can run dolphin and steady 60fps. anyone who wants ttyd has it at this point.
>>
>>341716109
Paper Mario games emulate like shit.
>>
>>341714703
Honestly, I would rather a remaster of the N64 game then TTYD.
>>
Fucks sake nobody wants a ttyd, they want the sequel to ttyd, this is like the crash bandicoot remakes over a new game, nobody wanted that.
>>
>>341714703
Yes.
>>
>>341716245
that's irrelevant, graphic issues aside, if anyone wanted the game they already have it. re-releasing it won't put it into new peoples hands.
>>
>they think people are going to buy color splash
>>
I have not played TTYD yet, my last pc was to crap to emulate it and I just built a new one.

Think I might do it this weekend
>>
>>341716340
I'm not sure about that.
Not everyone buying the game on the eshop has to be a die-hard paper mario fan playing it on emulator wanting to support paper mario.
They could just have played the other one and seen this one release, or remember playing it on gamecube a while ago.
>>
IGN also had an interview:

She cut to the core of why Paper Mario keeps moving away from RPG elements: Nintendo's other Mario RPG franchise, Mario & Luigi.

>"Really making this game started with the idea of wanting to use cards," she explained of the decision to develop Color Splash. "Since you've got this parallel Mario & Luigi RPG series, we definitely wanted to make a distinction between the two series and have them go in different directions."

I asked Tabata whether there is any thought about alternating the adventure style with a more RPG-focused game similar to what AlphaDream put together with Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, and her answer was that it >"depends on what kind of game we like to [make]."

>"Since we already have this established RPG series, rather than just making another RPG series as well, we wanted to do something different and provide a different experience to players," Tabata said. "I think what was good about the original Paper Mario games wasn't just the RPG elements but the puzzle solving and the humor, so as we've gone forward we've put more of our effort into the puzzle-solving aspects and really emphasizing the humor in the games."

So it's basically like I always thought, Nintendo only wants to have one of each Mario Genre around at once (one kart game, one 2D platformer, one tennis game, one party game etc.) Now that they're committed to Mario & Luigi as the one RPG series, they're struggling to find a place for Paper Mario and keep trying a bunch of new things like Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star.
>>
>>341716618
>"Since we already have this established RPG series, rather than just making another RPG series as well,
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

THIS MADE ME MADDER THAN "GO PLAY M&L"
>>
That's pretty sad since M&L has be getting steadily worse too (though not nearly at the same rate)
>>
As soon as I saw the sticker star battle system, over-world map, and no partners AGAIN I wrote the game off immediately.

As for an HD TTYD, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
>>
>>341716618
I can see Nintendos view on this, I mean this line of thinking is probably what brought paper mario to life.
>>
File: BrokenLight.jpg (44 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
BrokenLight.jpg
44 KB, 600x800
A new mario and luigi comes out.
>gives mario and luigi back badges
>make them able to equip multiple at once
>make the number of badges they can equip dependent on their stache stat
>Make the third party member be a stylised enemy
>You gain more of those partners to put in the third party member slot as you progress
Hey, I fixed it.
;.;
>>
>>341716618
>>"Since we already have this established RPG series, rather than just making another RPG series as well, we wanted to do something different and provide a different experience to players,

BUT PAPER MARIO CAME FIRST

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Emulate TTYD on Dolphin with the HD texture pack. It's better than what they would give us
>>
>>341717042
it didn't click for me in the announce trailer at the direct until i saw the overworld. that first frame i saw it, i lost 100% interest.
>>
>>341717201
not the same anon. M&L will never be the same as PM.
>>
>GameXplain: As Andre touched on earlier, the game looks fantastic. Have you considered the idea of remastering an older Paper Mario game in high definition, like The Thousand-Year Door?
>Risa Tabata: If we made one, would you buy it?
>GameXplain: Absolutely!
>Risa Tabata: I think if we hear that a lot, then we'll have something to think about.
Have they not heard the fanbase over the last year at all?
>>
>>341714703
It depends on how it looks
>straight of remaster with almost nothing changed
No thanks, ttyd already aged great
>game takes any notes from sticker star outside of new music
Fuck no
>game is the same, but now there's amiibo functionality!
Gross
>Game actually shows an attempt to fix ttyd's flaws, such as the General White quest or Chapter 4's backtracking.
The only situation where I will
>>
>>341717265
>HD texture pack
link? i just replayed it a few months ago, but I usually do 1 a year. would be good to have on file.
>>
>>341717031
But Paper Jam did fix Dream Team's issues... still what a shame at the current situation with Paper Mario.
>>
>>341717438
I know
>>
>>341717496
id be down for some kind of amiibo functionality, like a second pipe in the pit of trials where you can battle a paper version of whoever you scan. shit would be cash. of course, then i'd have to actually start buying amiibos which i wouldn't want to do.
>>
I would really, really, really like the opportunity to be the one to sit down and ask the devs questions. I'd like to ask if they're aware of the backlash of SS and how unsatisfied people were with it, and if they were aware of the huge community of people who prefer the first two games.
>>
>>341717634
Better than that would be badges for each one
like a megaton hammer badge for scanning Link
>>
File: 1371782204162.png (504 KB, 841x928) Image search: [Google]
1371782204162.png
504 KB, 841x928
>>341717496
>game is a remaster with as much added content as super mario bros. deluxe
>>
>>341717448
These people stay locked up in their offices all the time. They don't really see what the outside world thinks of their products that often since when they get off work they're usually thinking more about their personal lives.
>>
File: 1465515213929.jpg (175 KB, 1132x666) Image search: [Google]
1465515213929.jpg
175 KB, 1132x666
>we definitely wanted to make a distinction between the two series and have them go in different directions

Console RPG: Paper Mario
Handheld RPG: Mario and Luigi.

There! distinction made.
>>
>>341717792
that could be cool too, barrel attack for DK, a copy cat attack for kirby, hammer for dedede, electro shock for pikachu, etc.

so much potential. i wonder what they'll use them for in CS. probably the exact same thing as PJ.
>>
>>341718070
This.

Is there any way to give Nintendo direct feedback, I mean this is fucking ridiculous. Is there some kind of feedback email or address we can all simultaneously write?
>>
>>341716618
I understand the idea, and honestly I don't mind Paper Mario as more of an action-adventure series, but there is WAY more room to fit in better combat mechanics.

Not to mention, if this is the fun, experimental, action-adventure series, why all the fucking Toads? Where are the unique characters? The partners with interesting and fun puzzle-solving abilities and humour? In the end, this is just a flashy excuse for why they've stripped the soul out of the games.
>>
>>341717753
Depends on if the backlash really is as large as the internet echo chamber assumes it is.

I'm not suggesting that Sticker Star was a quality game, but it sold a lot of copies. People kept buying it even after reviews and word of mouth got out.

Sure the internet hates it, but that's what the internet does. Places like Miiverse didn't, and Nintendo designed Miiverse for that very reason. There's the review system for 3DS games on the eShop and it was favored there. Not to mention the feedback forms on Club Nintendo. Not to mention the actual million who bought it who didn't voice their opinion in any way. It even reviewed well and fan reviews on Metacritic only put it at a 6.0, a far cry from the bottom of the barrel scores a lot of truly hated games get.

It's easy to get caught up in the hostility that goes towards games online. There's a lot more ways to gather fan feedback from places other than message/image boards. No matter how loud and how widespread, I imagine it was just a vocal minority that complained about SS, which encouraged the development of Color Splash. The internet gives itself way too much credit and thinks it's larger and more important than it really is.
>>
>>341714703
I'd only buy a Thousand Year Door remake to help prove to Nintendo through sales that the first two games were far superior to latter two games and that I want more of those rather than what Paper Mario has turned into.
>>
>>341718270
>It even reviewed well and fan reviews on Metacritic only put it at a 6.0

Considering how easy it is to get a 9.0+ score a 6.0 is shit.
>>
>>341717448
GameXplain are such cocksuckers.
>>
>>341717448
Video games sell bad in Japan. Japanese are into smartphones now and Nintendo still wants their games to appeal o them when their games sell better outside of Japan. I remember in an old interview about Sticker Star, they mentioned that they've made a survey for Japanese fans from Nintendo Club asking them about PM series, most of them said that they don't care about the story. So there you have it, they've listened to them.
>>
>>341718157
People are spamming their facebook page and telling them this game looks like shit. I think they're trying to ignore it.
>>
>>341718157
I tried. This company is ruled by oldfarts and dinosaurs. They don't even have Twitter accounts to connect with the fans.
>>
File: 1450942748575.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450942748575.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
>>341718157
No

Most of the western feedback never actually goes back to Japan (NCL). We're pretty much at the mercy of NOA and NOE who usually say everything is fine or make inane requests for short term financial gain.

Source: me
I was a low level employee but I saw how this shit show was run.
>>
>>341718456
>I remember in an old interview about Sticker Star, they mentioned that they've made a survey for Japanese fans from Nintendo Club asking them about PM series, most of them said that they don't care about the story.

This is another misconception. They didn't say that. They said that less than 1% said the story in SPM was their favorite part of the game. It wasn't asked in a way that was like "Did you like the story, (Yes) (No)" it was something along the lines of "What was your favorite part of Super Paper Mario, (Story) (Gameplay) (etc, etc, etc). There's a pretty big difference.
>>
I actually laughed when the Toad who wanted to sail to the edge of the world was accused of having a mid-life crisis
>>
>>341718771
Yeah, but Nintendo misinterpreted that. The way you've described it is the proper way to interpret it. Nintendo did not act based on that, correct, interpretation.
>>
the thing that really made the the most mad, like, seriously pissed off, were the koopas. the green shelled, smiling koopas. The ones that would have been viligars in ANY OTHER paper mario game, or fuck, even in the N64 era mario games they seem like the archetype of a shopkeeper or something. When they start attacking you I knew it was over. I'd be fine with toads if there were sporadic villages of bob-ombs and koopas and goombas and other mario characters, but the fact that those ordinary every day NPC looking koopas are the "villains" cemented the fact that it's going to be fucking toads the whole way through. That's the worst fucking part about this, honestly. Why can't they have it like every other game where some of the species are corrupt and loyal to bowser, and some are just regular every day people? Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>341720131
I really don't think they interpenetrated it that way either, I think miyamoto has his agenda, for whatever reason, to eliminate mario story. he has ever since galaxy 1. I think the poll was more of a scapegoat or a crutch so they could point to it when asked and say "They didn't want it anyway!". I think it was intentionally spun because they wanted to phase the stories out as it was, and the poll just happened to be able to be spun the way they wanted it.
>>
File: dont-forget-us.jpg (132 KB, 952x768) Image search: [Google]
dont-forget-us.jpg
132 KB, 952x768
rest in pieces paper mario ;__;7
>>
TTYD doesn't need one. PM64 could use one, but they'd probably kill all the charm.
>>
>>341714703

Yes... Very Yes.

>>341715654

Localization was the only reason the West likes the old Paper Mario games so much.

A new localization without all the wit and charm would hurt though.
>>
>>341723241
thats what i meant, i'd want a direct remaster of the original, not a retranslation.

i could honestly see them taking this whole sudden surge of people finally thinking it's possible to get a remaster and doing something like remastering SPM, or remaking TTYD completely with colorsplash/sticker star gameplay.
>>
>>341714897
>but I hate the idea that we are bagging for remakes now.
643D was the reason shitty Zero even existed

why not give it a go?
>>
File: PMSSINFO.png (660 KB, 1571x805) Image search: [Google]
PMSSINFO.png
660 KB, 1571x805
>there people thinking Color Splash will survive on WiiU's install base
this shit gonna flop hard

don't even give out your shitty "SS sold more than TTYD tho!" excuse either. it's not as impressive like SPM, an actually good experimental Paper Mario game.
>>
>>341724958
>an actually good experimental Paper Mario game.
let's stop this meme, please. its controls and physics were not good for platforming, and as a platformer, that is the most important thing. the boss battles were broken and bowser could 1HKO most of them. The characters looked like drunken squiggles on a bar napkin.

Yes, SS was the worst but let's not rewrite history here.
>>
I wanted to be hyped for this game but I just can't.

It just looks like Sticker Star HD.
>>
>>341725310
I actually think Sticker Star was better than SPM. SPM was pretty awful all around.

Sticker Star was missing character variety and good dialogue and the battle system was iffy but it was still more fun than SPM "jump on enemy a million times because it has RPG like HP even though this is a platformer."

Also Sticker Star's areas were actually fun to explore. There were a lot of little secret areas around.

PM&TTYD: 9/10
Super Paper Mario: 5/10
Sticker Star: 6/10
>>
>>341725819
i go back and forth, both are pure garbage to me but you can't deny more thought and care and soul was put into SPM, despite the final product being shit. for that, i put it above the corporate sterilized slush that is sticker star.
>>
File: andresegers.jpg (24 KB, 510x495) Image search: [Google]
andresegers.jpg
24 KB, 510x495
>>341714703
hey guys andre segers here
>>
>>341726170
who
>>
File: 8456144865165.png (230 KB, 291x598) Image search: [Google]
8456144865165.png
230 KB, 291x598
>>341714703
>Incase
>>
>>341726170
>dat nose
>>
>>341725819
PM 8/10
TTYD 9/10
SPM 7/10
SS 3/10

OBJECTIVELY true rankings
>>
File: 2965609_orig.png (200 KB, 320x800) Image search: [Google]
2965609_orig.png
200 KB, 320x800
>>341726240
>cheer-leading with traps
>>
File: 1402542910505.gif (3 MB, 267x198) Image search: [Google]
1402542910505.gif
3 MB, 267x198
>>341718070
>put the shitty looking paper stuff on consoles
>put the more realized characters and worlds on handhelds

I haven't seen genius like this since the last Trump rally.
>>
>>341726240
still better than Sparrow, Shadman, and Legoman
>>
@341726390
this anon wants (You)s

don't give him a single bit
>>
>>341726528
Almost fell for it.
>>
>>341726282
SPM isn't that good and TTYD is not better than the original. The original is just as good. I spit on your "objectivity".
>>
>>341726242
nintendo fans are ugly lol
>>
File: 1443038040178.gif (3 MB, 550x309) Image search: [Google]
1443038040178.gif
3 MB, 550x309
>>341726710
>TTYD is not better than the original
>>
>>341718226
I agree, having a (shit) excuse for changing the gameplay is one thing, but taking out everything else that people enjoyed like the varied characters, non-standard locations and good writing has nothing to do with the game being an RPG, so they didn't have any reason to exclude those things. I have no idea what the fuck the devs are thinking.
>>
File: 1461796873613.jpg (172 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1461796873613.jpg
172 KB, 720x960
>>341726390
>Paper Mario: 1 handheld game, 3 console games
>Mario and Luigi: 5 handheld games, 0 console games
While I see your point, it's too late to be logic.
>>
>>341727419
anon, explain to me, why did you fed him a (You)?
>>
>>341726282
If SPM is an "Objective" 7 to you, you need to play more video games.
>>
>>341717448
Reminder that before Awakening, Fire Emblem was selling badly so of course IS would do anything to salvage a series by pulling everything out
>>
>>341726810
the combat and graphics are
atmosphere, level and world design all go to 64. they're pretty much equal as a whole. both have particular strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>341727937
it was fun
>>
>>341728803
its plot was dragging the characters were poorly designed the dialogue lost some of the charm from the original two the jumping was floaty the platforming was flatout bad the speed was constant the combat was basically non existent most of the bosses were extemely unmemorable and the fights themselves were broken.

it's fine to like it but it's far from an objective 7
>>
File: 1466050565264.png (496 KB, 692x338) Image search: [Google]
1466050565264.png
496 KB, 692x338
I really want to like Color Splash. I really do. I'm still hoping it actually turns out to be decent and people are being paranoid over nothing. But my fear is that the game will turn out to be shit and instead of learning from the criticism, IS/Nintendo will pull a "Well fuck you guys. You obviously don't want a new Paper Mario" and kill the series for good.
>>
>>341728381
Atmosphere, level and world design is your standard cut and paste Mario shit. There's not a lot that's charming about it when it's the same things we've seen before.
>>
>>341730828
t.someone who played TTYD first and was born in 1999
>>
>>341727565
What he said wasn't that offensive and I wanted a reason to post that perfect girl.
Good enough for you?
>>
>>341731480
not valid enough to give him a (You) anon.

the girl pigeon is cute tho
>>
>>341714703
I dont see the point of remastering a Paper Mario game since the "paper graphics" dont need remastering.
>>
>>341731774
yes they do? just because they're not 3D doesn't mean they weren't low resolution
>>
Of course not, I still own it/them and can also emulate them on multiple devices, there's literally no point in buying a remake, especially considering that they would probably fuck up.
>>
>>341714703
YES. Thousand Year Door on NX would be an instant buy!
>>
I've had more playthroughs of TTYD than any other game. I don't want a remake, I want the series to return to RPG mechanics. But I'd buy it again if rereleased to show support, but as a bigger message to Nintendo I'm not buying Color Splash to show support.
>>
>>341732654
exactly this
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.