[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can somebody explain why and how the level system in this game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: Witcher 3.jpg (257 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Witcher 3.jpg
257 KB, 1920x1080
Can somebody explain why and how the level system in this game is so downright retarded?

I'm replaying the game on Death March and doing sidequests and optional exploring has proved to be practically useless because of the enemy levelling.

I'm level 6 at Velen, about to find the Witches again. If I walk like 200 meters from Crows Perch, a sort of "hub" for the Velen portion of the game, I can easily come across monsters or bandits that are 10+ levels overleveled against me.

Even randomly exploring I ran into level 15 wraiths and a level 20+ something Griffin

Whats the fucking point in exploring if this shit happens? I'll just do the main quests and be done with them later, but this is just fucking stupid. Why do I get a quest at level 6 that is level 33? Why do I encounter level 10+ enemies on a sidequest thats level 5?
>>
Witcher 3 is not a great game
More news at 4:28
>>
>>341713353
Don't explore useless stuff? Witcher 3 never forced you to explore, just keep doing sidequests and mainquests.
>>
>>341713353
>Whats the fucking point in exploring if this shit happens? I'll just do the main quests and be done with them later, but this is just fucking stupid. Why do I get a quest at level 6 that is level 33? Why do I encounter level 10+ enemies on a sidequest thats level 5?

So you can come back to it later?
>>
>>341713769
Then whats the point in the open world and exploring at all?

The exploring isn't useless at all mind you, theres a bunch of good loot to be found but the enemy scaling just makes it a fucking nightmare and a needless hassle.
>>
>>341713846
Why is the fucking quest level 5 if the enemies in it are level 10?

Why is a low level area like Velen home to level 20+ enemies and creatures? Why is a low level area giving me sidequests that I'll only be able to do after I complete motherfucking Skellige?
>>
>>341713353
>I'm replaying the game on Death March
>I'm level 6
Let's try to think of all the reasons you are fucking up.

- Experience mainly comes from main quests
- Side missions are pointless, they show the struggle and the bullshit Geralt has to face to survive
- Picking the hardest difficulty is pointless, when entire strings of commands can go unrecognized

How could you not know this already?
>>
People like you cannot be pleased.

You're the same people that complained about Skyrim

>WAHH WHY DOES EVERYTHING SCALE WITH YOUR LEVEL
>SO EASY

What exactly do you want? You can only get one or the other.
>>
File: 14923572387.png (948 KB, 1167x597) Image search: [Google]
14923572387.png
948 KB, 1167x597
HOLY FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>341713353
>I'm replaying the game on Death March

First mistake, you are meant to play on an easy difficulty and just enjoy the story.
>>
>>341714503
So what you're saying is the game is just downright broken?
Cool.
>>
>>341714905
Did that my first run.
>>341714774
I would have preferred not to have levels at all.
>>
File: 1463124040343.jpg (64 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1463124040343.jpg
64 KB, 560x560
>>341713353
>Whats the fucking point in exploring if this shit happens?

That's self-explanatory.
>>
>>341713353
Your fault for not just playing the first one.
>>
>>341714974
>Did that my first run.

Then why are you bothering with playing the game again? It's not like the gameplay is any good.
>>
>>341713353

Why are you not playing on New Game +?

Having end game abilities with upgraded mutations and runesmithed items and using enemy upscaling is the best.

>>341713864

Again, not a problem if you kept your old save. TW3 with upscaling is pretty fun.
>>
>>341715119
Got the bad ending my first run, and I didn't do a lot of the sidequests.
>>341715139
Wanted to start fresh.

Having a difficulty option only applicable and logical when in NG+ is retarded
>>
>>341713353
The game itself is retarded. You only get xp from the main quest absolutely no reason to do anything else.
>>
>>341715316

That's so silly though. You knew you'd be squishy as fuck and that you'd have to avoid certain areas and come back to them later after the first playthrough. You had the option to make that not an issue whatsoever by taking advantage of your time invested with all of the stuff you already earned and you went back instead to be squishy and complain about it.

With a game this long it just doesn't make sense and beyond that upscaling NG+ fixes everything you're upset about now.
>>
>>341715547

Are you really upset that the game doesn't encourage you to poopsock like its an MMO?
>>
File: panic.jpg (7 KB, 232x217) Image search: [Google]
panic.jpg
7 KB, 232x217
>Skellige deck
>Have to play with Skellige deck in the tournament
>>
>>341715726
Just ignore the mushroom meme.
>>
>>341715765
up to this point I got too used in having abundance of spy cards with Nilf and Northern decks, don't know what to make of it yet
>>
>>341715607
I didn't though. Its not like I'm going to Novigrad before I'm done with the Baron, I'm just wandering the nearby wilderness and coming across enemies 20 levels above mine. Its retarded.

I can deal with the damage and health increases but at least make it a realistic chance, this overleveling bullshit is just Arkham Asylum-tier padded garbage where it requires me to come back later.
>>
>>341715607

When playing on easier difficulties it's possible to deal with higher leveled enemies.
>>
>>341713353
Enemies get an annoying HP buff if they're 5 levels above you

Get a mod to remove it
>>
For Fallout 3 and Skyrim people complained about level scaling, now they complain about lack of level scaling
>>
>>341715909

Well I think they should remove that buff it applies to whatever is a red skull but I still think you should have done NG+ and you would have been happier.

You made the choice.

>>341715914

Yeah but the balance actually all feels really good on Death March upscaled. I'd even say it could afford another difficulty level above it with near instagibs.
>>
>>341716115

Yeah people don't really know what they want. I remember people griping for years how they wanted to go back to the old Morrowind system and now they want to go back to the Skyrim system.
>>
>>341716115
People will ALWAYS complain when the want to just cherrypick things they don't like in a game.

>explore a place
>oh shit, something with a higher level
>go explore different places
>get your level higher
>come back
>kill the mobs that used to be way above your level

What's the problem in that? It's literally the best system. Better than level scaling which just makes bullet sponges eventually.
>>
>>341713353
I like the lvl scaling on death march.
Makes the world that much dangerous and forces me to not half ass my alchemy either.
>>
>>341716115
>For Fallout 3 and Skyrim people complained about level scaling

Oblivion had broken level scaling, Skyrim fixed it for the most part.
>>
>>341716115
Protip: It's not the same people
>>
>>341713769

Are you mentally impaired ? Are you a children?
>>
>>341716115
Level scaling is retarded no matter how its done.
>>
>What is the point of exploring if this shit happens?
I think the question is the exact opposite. What is the point of exploring if everywhere you go, the enemies and loot are matched to your level? Running into challenges beyond your level should motivate you to improve your character until you can return to them.
>>
I dont buy games that does it.

Thats the laziest excuse to not making different enemies at different areas. Even color scheme changing is more honorable than this shit.
>>
>bethesda babby encounters game with no level scaling
>>
>>341713353
There's a mod that fixes the EXP gain for low-level quests. Invest in Alchemy, specifically poisons, toxicity, and potion-healing to make the monster battles piss-easy. Look up places of power locations to make this easier.

You're on death march. Shit's hard. Think like a witcher.
>>
>>341716350
I think it's best to have tiered scaling. Certain enemies can get stronger up to a point. Like some shitty bandits outside your generic starting town might start at level 4 with some shitty bronze and leather gear and scale up to 10 with some less shitty steel and chain gear and will never get stronger than that. NG+ could up the tiers a lot and maybe make some new gear available at endgame that didn't exist in the first playthrough. Gives you something more to look forward to than just a higher level number.
>>
>>341717196
Do please show me a video of someone killing 5 level 16 wraiths at level 5 if you're so hardcore and kewwl
>>
File: 1447326978967.png (6 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1447326978967.png
6 KB, 640x480
>guys I'm playing on hardest difficulty why is the game hard
>>
>>341713353

casual elder scrolls IV and V babby detected
you want the entire world the same level as you? shit is fucking retarded as fuck
>>
>>341717326
Please put some effort into your bait next time.
>>341717353
I'd prefer if the world had no levelling at all.
>>
>>341717630
How is my post bait?

You're playing on hardest difficulty. Expecting things to be super easy everywhere? That's basically retarded, my man.
>>
>>341717292

You're not forced to kill them. Don't wander into higher level areas like a dumbass next time.
>>
>>341717690
Expecting level 5 quests to have level 5 enemies is retarded?
Expecting level 4-8 areas like Velen to have level 4-8 enemies is retarded?

>>341717705
>200 meters from Crows Perch
>a high level area
yah okey.
>>
>>341713353
>Whats the fucking point in exploring if this shit happens? I'll
I assume that this whole thread is a giant "let's laugh at retarded Skyrim babies" false-flag thread, though honestly I don't think anyone will even get that today.

On the rare off chance that you are actually serious OP: you are a retard if you assume that everything you come across must be immediately accessible. Your brain is rotten and and it's pretty obvious you never played an RPG outside of Skyrim. If you come across something you can't tackle now, leave and come back once you are prepared.

>>341717630
>I'd prefer if the world had no levelling at all.
Don't play RPG's then, cretin.
>>
>>341713353

that's the problem with it being MMO-like

I was surprised the first time I was trotting along and suddenly banged into a group of ghouls that were death skull con. I was like "whut, why is this specific area so much higher difficulty than everything around it?"

And on the flip-side, before Blood & Wine put in that Level Scaling option, I bet it really WAS tedious to explore the world and find nothing but gray con enemies out there. I waited to buy W3 until the last xpac was about to come out :)

I think the first handful of fights were the hardest in the game. Base, level 1, vanilla gear, vanilla signs, no potions/oils Geralt versus 3-7 enemies at once was rough.
>>
>>341717984

>high
>higher
>>
>>341717984
Velen has a lot of places with harder enemies, for one.

Which quests made you unable to kill certain enemies? Do they have a skull over them? What level are they, exactly?
>>
>>341713769
>Don't explore

Amazing advice for an open world game
>>
Post yennefer wallpapers
>>
File: 1465324519015.jpg (154 KB, 1264x795) Image search: [Google]
1465324519015.jpg
154 KB, 1264x795
>>341718167
>>
>>341717991
>open world, free to explore fully as soon as you arrive in that particular region
>not everything is meant to be accessible
So it does a poor job of gating higher level stuff for later, got you.
>muh skyrim
Stop with the projecting, Skyrims system isn't any better and I haven't played it in 4 years.
>>341718065
>200 meters from crows perch, a level 4-8 area
>a ***higher*** level area
Satisfied your autism?
also
>we have this huge amazing open world for you to explore, loot and kill stuff in!
>but nah you can't do that for 20 hours because we overleveled all the enemies in the very first area and now you're fucked if you want to do anything else than the main quest and some off shoot Get X bring it here sidequests!

Excellent design.
>>
>>341717630

>I'd prefer if the world had no levelling at all.

I'm not against this idea but it will never happen. The main reason the levels aren't scaled though is due to feedback CDPR took in regarding what people wanted. They listen too much to fucking dumbshits which isn't necessarily a bad thing sometimes since they added a lot of neat features due to community feedback within the last year, I like that, no other dev really does that.
>>
>>341718445
You're free to explore but it doesn't mean everything will be easily accessible at the start. Just level up and come back to the area again, what's hard about that?

Some mob placement regarding lvl can be shit, yes. But just move on to another question mark on your map. Level up. Get stronger. Come back, beat that fuckers ass and be proud of yourself.
>>
>>341718445

There's still a lot of content beside those few areas you need to return to, bud.
>>
>>341718575
This. Velen is fucking big. Just because one place near Crow's Perch has some higher level enemy doesn't mean every single place is like that.

JUST FUCKING EXPLORE
>>
>>341718632
this thread has some serious autism

There's nothing wrong with some higher level enemies even in the starting areas, just remember to come back when you're stronger if you're really curious

or don't there are hundreds of other places like that
>>
>>341713353
>I'm playing on a higher difficulty
>The enemies are hard
Shocking.
>>
>>341718445
>So it does a poor job of gating higher level stuff for later, got you.
It's not doing a poor job, it's doing exactly what needs to be done. Exploration is supposed to be risk-and-reward venture, and the decision to engage or avoid is part of the process. Further more, the game wants to prevent you from "clearing out" entire region to leave it lifeless and abandoned and make the whole non-linearity of the environment completely pointless. You'll be spending a lot of time in Velen, story-wise, you will be re-visiting it much later down the line, and this way the game has something for you to do while you are in the region at every point of the main story progression.

Your entire argument is literally "THE GAME IS SHIT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT GIVE ME EVERYTHING AT EVERY POINT OF THE STORY, WAAAAAH", like a little fucking bitch.

>Stop with the projecting, Skyrims system isn't any better and I haven't played it in 4 years.
Have you played ANY RPG in the last four years? How is Skyrim's "every content is scaled precisely to you level so that you never run into a content you can't immediately tackle" NOT WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR FOR FUCK SAKE?!

What the fuck DO you want from the game? Level-scaled? WRONG! Not level scaled? WRONG!
I assume you want fucking GTA from the game and have no clue how RPG's work.
>>
File: images (6).jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>341713353
You seem mentally challenged OP. I suggest you to off yourself.
>>
>>341718484
Of course it will never happen because W3 is complete
For future games it might not happen at all simply because creating a flat level system like this and gating off large portions of the game for later time is easier than creating weak, medium, and strong enemies both of which happen as you go along

Say what you will about the Souls game or whatnot, but their enemy system works a fuckload better.
You can complete the games without leveling once, and thats because the enemy health values never reach the absurd heights they do in W3, and levelling only helps make that easier.
In W3, you NEED to level up in order to kill some of the enemies, if not all of them considering how they grow in levels when the game progresses.
Its honestly reminds me of Borderlands 2 where higher levelled enemies would have skulls over their heads and their tiniest attack would one shot you no matter what you did.

>>341718575
So how do I know what ?'s to seek out on the map and what not to do? how do I know if this level 5 sidequest will pin me up against level 12 bandits that one shot me or level 5 bandits that die in 2 hits? Theres absolutely no middle ground and it sucks absolute cock.

I like the game otherwise but this level system is the only thing bugging me the fuck out.
>>
>>341718982
>it's a "SOULS DOES EVERYTHING BETTER" episode

This is my last (You)
>>
I noticed this in Xenoblade Chronicles

didn't bother me one bit
>>
>>341718982
i haven't played in a little while but i can't remember any quest that had significantly higher leveled enemies in it than what the journal ranked the quest.

I've picked up a level 30 quest at level 5 for level 30 enemies but i don't remember picking up a low level quest that had high level enemies.
>>
>>341716509
Not OP, but the problem with the way Witcher 3 does this is that it feels like there's no rhyme or reason to how things are determined.

In most open world RPGs that don't have level scaling enemies, the quests/enemies tend to be consistent in terms of their level requirements in one area. In Fallout 2 you can travel straight to Navarro from the beginning of the game if you want, but you'll encounter deathclaws and enclave soldiers and die. There's a clear reason for that though: it's the endgame area.

In Witcher 3 this disparity is scattered all over the place. Like OP said, you can be running around in the same area where you received a level 5 quest and encounter a level 15 monster. I agree this is stupid. It creates pointless backtracking instead of simply adding challenge when you head to an area that's above your level.

Another thing is that most RPGs with this kind of system have different types of skills to develop, so level scaling matters in another way: there might be a quest somewhere with a really strong monster you can't defeat in combat at early levels, but if you have a sneaky character you can sneak past it, or if you have a diplo character you can talk around it. This variety doesn't exist in Witcher 3 so an overleveled monster in an early game area is always just going to be precisely that, and it has literally no reason to exist except to make you come back later.

I love the game overall but it has its flaws and this is definitely one of them. Too much backtracking and pointless business between the interesting parts, in general.
>>
>>341717991
>Don't play RPG's then, cretin.
But for the most part Witcher 3 really isn't much of an RPG. It has a leveling system but just to decide which combat skills you want to emphasize, it doesn't have things like thief/diplomat archetypes that change your whole playstyle. You make story decisions but you do that in telltale games too.

I agree with anon, the leveling system in witcher is ultimately pointless. To be honest the game would be better if character progression worked more like Zelda where it's entirely based on rewarding exploration and puzzle solving. Having an arbitrary level line where your attacks do close to zero damage when you're under it no matter what weapon you use is just pointless and annoying.
>>
>>341719364
>it doesn't have things like thief/diplomat archetypes that change your whole playstyle

Completely ignoring the Axii thing that can result in different outcomes in quests.
>>
>>341718851
Amazing argument friendo.
>>341718820
>Your entire argument is literally "THE GAME IS SHIT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT GIVE ME EVERYTHING AT EVERY POINT OF THE STORY, WAAAAAH", like a little fucking bitch.
Not once did I say that the game was bad. The level scaling and how it works is fucking horrendous and not only makes the open world as a concept a complete joke but invalidates it as well.
Whats the fucking point of having level 25 enemies in a level 4-8 area, and having them completely open to the player? Whats the point in surrounding the player with all these points of interest, but then completely destroying any and all motivation the player has for exploring them? Then it just becomes a linear level-up-athon before you can actually do anything resembling exploring or looting.
Open World was a mistake.
>What the fuck DO you want from the game? Level-scaled? WRONG! Not level scaled? WRONG!
Don't eat your fucking shorts anon.
I would prefer the game not to have levels at all, or just the enemies not having levels.
This works perfectly fine in Souls games for example (don't fucking rip your head off because I mentioned Souls, I couldn't give a fuck about those games anymore), where you can level up and become stronger, but the enemies remain the same in area X and becomes stronger as you progress, finally having them be their strongest in area Y. This means there is no such thing as being under-leveled because you can complete the whole thing without leveling at all, and quite easily at that. Then it just becomes a question of do I want more levels or not?

In W3 you're forced to level up not only because of the main quest forcing you to, but because if you want to any kind of exploring on your own you need to grind main quests for 20 hours and then come back to kill the beastie that bothered you in an area thats now 20 levels below you
>>
>>341719418
Come on, you're reaching and you know it. That rarely affects the outcome. It's only even usable in dialogue for a small handful of quests, and most of the times it is, it just lets you skip a fistfight if you want to. And it is literally the only skill you can upgrade that has even that barely noticeable impact on anything outside of combat.
>>
>>341718982
Holy shit you retard learn to play,do other quests until you are nearly level 12, explore for better gear or enable level scaling in options so every enemy is the same level as you. You are an idiot.

>also "LE SOULS GAME DOES EVERYTHING BETTER"

Then go play DS again if you don't like Witcher. I don't know what you do but I haven't once had problems with the levels of the enemies (and this is before you could scale everything).
>>
As much as I loved the game, the levelling and scaling is indeed all over the place.

>game punishes you by making overlevelled enemies nigh invincible
>they give 0 exp if you're underlevelled
>underlevelled quests clutter up your diary
>main quests showers you with skill points while contracts and mobs give fuckall

Looks like the devs just wanted a firm hand on knowing what they player level would be for the main quest so they gimped grinding.
>>
File: six.png (31 KB, 308x134) Image search: [Google]
six.png
31 KB, 308x134
This game has taken over my life recently. I *just* arrived in Toussaint, and I did every single thing I possibly good in the base game & hearts of stone. I think before I started B&W my clock was at 105 or so.
>>
>>341719103
>>it's a "SOULS DOES EVERYTHING BETTER" episode
Are witcherfags just immune to any kind of criticism or something? Calm your fucking autism, I said nothing of the sort.
Souls is better when it comes to its levels/enemies, but it lacks in other things that the W3 has.
>>341719110
That one quest that had me repair shrines for example had a beast that was level 12 while I was level 4.
Not to mention shit like encountering random level 25 griffins 200 meters from a level 4-8 town that you spend hours in.
Its just poorly done overall.
This anon sums it up perfectly>>341719161
>>
>>341719565
Exactly, so in the end it would have been better if they skipped anything that would incentivize grinding in the first place.

I really hope they realize that Hearts of Stone is the best part of Witcher 3 specifically because it's the most interesting kind of story for Geralt to get into, and the vast majority of its content expands on that one cool quest. Instead of jamming the game full of tedious scavenger hunts they could have made it smaller and focused on making all content HoS-level quality. It would have been a much better game. It's still a great game as it stands, it just has so much boring filler in between the good parts.
>>
>>341719529
>it just lets you skip a fistfight if you want to
Most of the time this doesn't even happen because the other ones know you're using magic and just attack you right then and there.
>>341719536
>>also "LE SOULS GAME DOES EVERYTHING BETTER"
Never said this.
Enjoy your (you)
>>
>>341718982
>Say what you will about the Souls game or whatnot, but their enemy system works a fuckload better.
Souls are an entirely fucking linear game where you can never stand off more than fifteen meters off the correct and only path. Which is not a bad thing: there is nothing wrong with roller-coster type of games, but for fuck sake making an argument that game with perfectly and absolutely controlled progression has a model "better" than a fucking open world is retarded beyond fucking measure.

Jesus fucking Christ I would NOT want to see you mongoloid trying to tackle games like Gothic.

>So how do I know what ?
YOU EXPLORE YOU MONGOLOID. You just now fucking asked for exploration. Exploration means taking a look and seeing how things are.

>how do I know if this level 5 sidequest will pin me up against level 12 bandits that one shot me or level 5 bandits that die in 2 hits?
Are you actually, clinically mentally retarded?
If follow a level 5 quest, then you'll run into enemies that you should be able to tackle if you are roughly around level 5. And how the fuck is there no "middle ground". You should always be able to kill anything that does not have a fucking skull above it: I had been killing level 6-9 enemies on level fucking four routinely.
There are quests to ALL level stages, and the game is balanced around the player being able to take on enemies usually 2-5 levels higher than you are unless you ABSOLUTELY suck at the game. Even on Death March.

And if you are frustrated with things over leveling you, just do the story quests for a while before fucking exploring.
>>
>>341715139

Too bad upscaling seems broken though. I've encountered many level 1 enemies with it turned on.
>>
I'm playing through Witcher 3 right now and I'd honestly be tempted to suggest that someone picking up the game just straight up ignore exploring the question marks on the map.

They're fucking boring and repetitive, I wouldn't touch them myself if I wasn't a bit of a completionist (that and they give you equipment).

The open world aspect of Witcher 3 is pretty weak, the experience would have been better as a more linear game (although keeping the side quests and contracts of course).
>>
>>341715316

Also, did you play through Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine? If you haven't you should go back and play them rather than rushing to a fresh save; might change your mind on not starting NG+

>>341718982

You knew that starting a fresh save would be like that and you chose that over NG+ where everything would pretty much be your level. I really don't know why you'd do that then get mad.
>>
>>341719701

>and I did every single thing I possibly good in the base game & hearts of stone. I think before I started B&W my clock was at 105 or so.

I'm assuming that doesn't include the POI's.
>>
>>341719865
>Never said this.

>Say what you will about the Souls game or whatnot, but their enemy system works a fuckload better.

Yeah... for the last time: are you actually clinically retarded? Do you have an actual, medical condition, perhaps regarding psychical health that you can provide as an excuse for yourself?
>>
When you first start out and don't have any real good skills or gear, you can get fucked pretty easily by higher-level enemies. I'd advise you just stick with the main quests and appropriately-leveled sidequests till you hit level 15 on DM and get some good gear before you really start exploring.
>>
>>341719923
>'d honestly be tempted to suggest that someone picking up the game just straight up ignore exploring the question marks on the map.
Don't ignore them, flat out turn them off. There is an option to turn them off in both game menus and through filters in the fucking map.
>>
>>341719786
this is why i think that skellige, huge city lije novigrad, were a mistake. They could have done so much more just with Velen and HoS proves it. God even small areas like white orchard are enough.
>>
>WHY IS EVERYTHING HIGHER LEVEL THAN ME REEE
Just explore more and you'll find places with similar level to yours.

Fuck, some people here are literally retarded.
>>
>>341719923
>The open world aspect of Witcher 3 is pretty weak, the experience would have been better as a more linear game
TURN. THE FUCKING MARKERS. OFF.
There. Your entire complaint about the open world aspect of the game: GONE. Saying that the game would be better as a linear game just shows how utterly and absolutely clueless about game design you fucking are.
>>
>>341720106
>HoS proves it.
I disagree, the one problem I had with Hearts of Stone is that it basically just added a handful of quests and one shitty town to the corner of the map. Blood and Wine felt like it had much more effort put into it.
>>
>>341720010
It does, actually! I can show you screenshots of my meticulously completed maps if you'd like. Skellige was a fucking trial.
>>
>>341719907

Happens sometimes, can be fixed by meditating 1 hr
>>
>>341720298
Did you actually fucking get every single smuggler cache in Skellige?

If so, I'm impressed.
>>
>>341719901
>Souls are an entirely fucking linear game where you can never stand off more than fifteen meters off the correct and only path
Completely untrue.
Bloodborne is a great example with multiple optional areas and bosses, but all of which can be done without leveling. I love going to the DLC and killing Ludwig without having fully upgraded weapons because not only is it possible, its more rewarding and fun that way too.
Even Dark Souls 3 lets you tackle on an end-game boss fight in the first fucking area of the game, and its perfectly doable. Not because of the level system, but because its a skill based system. If you want to defeat Dancer without leveling, you can do that.
If I want to kill the Griffin near Crows Perch without leveling, I simply can't because of its health, damage and other attack resistances. Not only would it be almost humanly impossible, but it would be a waste of time considering what this anon said here>>341719565

>YOU EXPLORE YOU MONGOLOID.
And thus its forcing me to come back later. Its padding, filler and boring gating that shouldn't exist.

No, really. Why is a low level area like Velen host to enemies that are level 20 or even higher? Why? Whats the reason for that? Why isn't it close to like level 10, where it remains challenging, but completely doable?

>Are you retarded?
You seem upset.
>And how the fuck is there no "middle ground"
You either have enemies close to your level, that die in 2-3 hits, or higher leveled enemies for practically no reason, that then take 30+ hits.
I remember one shielded bandit that took 2 bombs, 20 sword strikes and over 15 igni casts.

Both of these enemy types were in level 5 quests around Velen.
>There are quests to ALL level stages
Why is Velen, a low level area, giving me high level quests?
Why doesn't it just spawn them in later dynamically, akin to how Dragons Dogma did it for example, with story stages and so on?
>>
File: helpme.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
helpme.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>341720437
I did.
>>
>>341720246
Uh, no, all that does is clear up the clutter on the map. The fact that the game world is needlessly bloated doesn't suddenly go away. It's still tedious to travel to new areas and it still punishes you for no reason if you wander into an area that inexplicably has overleveled enemies. It's still a boring slog to collect the witcher gear schematics when it should be fun and rewarding.
>>
File: please.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
please.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>341720526
I think I have a problem honestly
>>
>>341720513
>And thus its forcing me to come back later.

And it's bad, because why exactly?

>No, really. Why is a low level area like Velen host to enemies that are level 20 or even higher?

Because Velen is big as fuck and you actually come back there later in the game, thus giving you some shit to do other than just the main quest.
>>
>>341720437

I did too, the economy in this game is brutal. Had 45K after doing all my leftover PoIs and 3K after upgrading runewright
>>
>>341720009
No, I haven't gotten the DLCs yet.
Im completing the game a second time for the best ending and close to 100% completion first.
>>341720019
>LE SOULS GAME DOES EVERYTHING BETTER
>SOULS GAME DOES EVERYTHING BETTER
>GAME DOES EVERYTHING BETTER
>DOES EVERYTHING BETTER
>EVERYTHING BETTER
Come on anon, sit on my lap for a moment.
Yes see anon, I was talking about the level and enemy system in these games :)
That means in fact, that I don't think Souls does everything better :)
I actually think W3 does a lot of things better, but that the enemy system isn't one of them.
Happy now? What do you want for christmas?
>>
>>341720539
>it still punishes you for no reason
What if I told you there was a time where level scaling was unheard of in RPGs?
Would probably blow your tiny mind.
>>
>>341720526
>>341720680
I'm heavily impressed. I have to say, when I saw the amount of questionmarks I had on the sea I just thought "man, this is not fucking worth it" and left it.

Though, some islands were fun.
>>
>>341720797
Honestly, since 85% of the ?s are just, brainless, I turned on a podcast and go to town. It's therapeutic, honestly
>>
>>341720771
If you'd paid attention you'd have noticed I made a detailed point above about why Witcher 3 has this problem but older RPGs without level scaling such as Fallout 1/2 don't. Maybe you should try reading more and assuming less.
>>
>arrive at the first village in Velen after Vizima
>pick up a quest to find some guys brother
>get into a cave and rescued a woman
>swim through and find the boss
>kept getting one spotted
>hours later I look at the quest log to see if I missed something
>quest level suggestion was 35

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>341721031
>why is not reading the journal before going to do a quest allowed

I don't know, you tell me
>>
>>341720991
Why would I read the posts of a retarded little idiot like yourself who can't handle enemies that he can't take on straight away?
>>
>>341720539

Depends how you look at it. Nothing wrong with random loot to take in between doing other things and most Witcher schematics I found simply exploring. It's not a race, take your time and if the question marks set off your autism turn them off. Don't turn the game into a collectathon for yourself, enjoy the scenery and take things as they come.

Best part about completing everything and starting NG+ for me is that I don't worry about anything, everything is in my range of fighting and I enjoy the simple atmosphere and take things a day at a time. Although I did these things already anyway there was the stretch of finishing every bit of side content I could.
>>
>>341720689
>And it's bad, because why exactly?
Because its completely lazy filler akin to Arkham Asylum.
Instead of getting a new gadget that lets me open a door or something, I did main quests for 20 hours and finally had a measly chance to kill something that bothered me in an area that I'm now 20 levels overleveled to.
>Because Velen is big as fuck and you actually come back there later in the game
Really.
That one fucking quest where you kill Imlerith now constitutes "returning to Velen"?
>b-b-b-b-but Ugly Baby and Uma
You get the babby and you leave.
If the story had continued in Velen that would have been fine but I see literally no point in having those things gated out for later just because of... reasons.
>>
>>341713967
>Why is the fucking quest level 5 if the enemies in it are level 10?
They aren't.

Velen is not a low level area. It has low level areas, and high level areas, just as Novigrad and Skellige do.
>>
File: 1377477506165s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1377477506165s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
This thread is maximum retardation

And ofc it's made by soulsfags who keep writting essays about how sublime Souls games are
>>
>>341721086
Witcherdrones response to criticism of gameplay elements right there folks.
Think we're done here.
>>
>>341721219
The criticism is basically WOW I CAN'T KILL A BOSS THAT'S HIGHER LEVEL THAN ME THIS GAME IS SHIT
>>
>>341721118

The game wouldn't be better or worse without the filler. It's simply optional stuff to do while wandering, nothing more, nothing less. The bit of gold is a decent reward since gold is fairly important.
>>
>>341720513
>Completely untrue.
You are lying. You are actually here, seriously lying to us (and presumably, to yourself) about games we had all played. The other guy is right, you are just another retarded token "Look at me how cool I am for claiming that Souls are the best game evaaar" poster and I regret wasting my time on you shitface. It's beyond pathetic and you should seriously pull yourself together.
Souls give you OPTIONAL BOSSFIGHTS standing fifteen meters aside from the strictly linear path. Which of course makes it every easy to balance them to be just SLIGHTLY above what you should be able to tackle normally. Because they are literally a stones alongside a completely linear progression of the game. You can't go off the road - you just stop along it for an optional side challenge.
If you want beat them ups and games where character progression isn't a relevant part, go play them. Go jerk off to the soul series because clearly, that is all you will ever be willing to play. Just fuck off and don't be surprised when people call you rightfully an absolute cretin with SERIOUS mental issues.
I'm out. Fuck off.
>>
>>341713353
I AM SINISTAR

RUN COWARD
>>
>>341721118
It gives you more stuff to do other than main quest. If you think this is bad then why are you playing RPGs?

>That one fucking quest
It proved my point. Even if it's one, you STILL come back to Velen and in your mind a thought may appear "maybe I'll also do some stuff I didn't do before because I was too weak?" but instead you think "OH WOW WHY WOULD I WANT TO KILL IT NOW HUH"
>>
>>341721193
You too, should learn to bait better.
>>341721153
Ahh, so those level 10-12 bandits I met during a level 5 quest was just me hallucinating? Okay.
>It has low level areas, and high level areas
And yet it has no indication of where those borders lie, if there even are borders for them.
I can be running around exploring, looting and killing just fine but all of a sudden I run into level 15 wraiths that come in a pack of 5
Like, okay, why is this here?
Like I said, you need only run like 200 meters from Crows Perch and you can already have overleveled enemies stomp your face in.

Unrelated, but I've had glitches happen too where bowmen would shoot through trees and what not. Excellent.
>>
>>341720246
My complaint isn't "there are questions marks on the map", my complaint is all the open world question mark encounters are dumb and repetitive.

Doesn't fucking matter if I ride towards an objective marker or if I stumble on it organically, it's still just bandit camp #23 or hidden treasure #12
>>
File: 1465589657780.jpg (75 KB, 448x545) Image search: [Google]
1465589657780.jpg
75 KB, 448x545
>>341721031
>not reading the journal

You are the reason devs keep to dumb down new games. Because retards like you can't even fucking read.
>>
>>341721517
>And yet it has no indication of where those borders lie, if there even are borders for them.

If there were borders you'd complain about the borders being there.
>>
>>341721517
>And yet it has no indication of where those borders lie, if there even are borders for them.
Okay? Why do you want more handholding?
>>
>>341721517
>Ahh, so those level 10-12 bandits I met during a level 5 quest was just me hallucinating?
If you encounter a higher level area outside of the quest area, then yeah, the enemies will be of a higher level, because they don't belong to the quest.
>>
>>341721517

Why is this even that big of an issue.

"This area has monsters too strong, I'll come back later, or not"

Not that difficult and hardly diminishing from the overall quality of so much of its content. No point in getting stuck on it and endlessly harping, all it does is frustrate yourself and those around you.
>>
>>341721351
>"Look at me how cool I am for claiming that Souls are the best game evaaar" poster and I regret wasting my time on you shitface
Never said this, keep pretending though.
>Souls give you OPTIONAL BOSSFIGHTS standing fifteen meters aside from the strictly linear path. Which of course makes it every easy to balance them to be just SLIGHTLY above what you should be able to tackle normally
Entering the DLC right after Amelia is in your opinion "15 meters away" from the main path, and that its "slightly above" the difficulty of the main path? Why should I care about what you have to say again?
>If you want beat them ups and games where character progression isn't a relevant part, go play them
I like Witcher for the character progression and exploring, but I dislike it for having retarded level scaling and leveled areas.
You literally can't make an excuse for level 25 enemies in a level 5 area. It is lazy filler that forces you to come back later and grind main quests.
>Go jerk off to the soul series because clearly, that is all you will ever be willing to play. Just fuck off and don't be surprised when people call you rightfully an absolute cretin with SERIOUS mental issues.
Why are you so blindingly mad?
>>
>>341721793
>You literally can't make an excuse for level 25 enemies in a level 5 area

The problem is you think all of Velen is some low lvl area while in reality it has a lot of shit scattered around it, with different explanations.
>>
>>341721193
The singleplayer MMO leveling system is broken and Dark Souls does handle it a lot better. The point they're making is that the enemies should be challenging not only by armor values or stats but by AI or moveset. And all of them should be killable if you have the right tools. No matter how many potions, oils and other trash you use there is literally no way to kill a lvl 15 drowner when you're a lvl 6 witcher, it's broken, it's boring and it's WoW.

The game being open world doesn't mean shit. Hell even without extra AI or whatever you can still do it. I can go kill deathclaws in NV from the get go if I get the right weapons and tools at lvl 1 if I want to. That takes a lot of effort and knowledge, but it's doable because the deathclaw doesn't have magic extra armor or dmg based on my level, its values are defined and static. Caesar's Legion doesn't magically gain 500 damage with the same weapon or gain 50 more DT. CDPR fucked up and I hope they never use this system again.

The level system is what lowers this game from excellent to average for me.
>>
>>341713353
It's a single player mmo with cutscenes news at 11
>>
>>341721793
Dude you are really stupid. The only beginner area is White Orchard. Velen, Skellige and Toussaint are both high and low level areas, this being the reason you have many points of interest, diversified quests and a reason to explore. You found a high level area and you aren't close to that level? Just avoid it, continue going in your way and if you want come back later.

Or, enable LEVEL SCALING IN THE OPTIONS you idiot. This way ALL the enemies will be the same level as YOU.
>>
>>341713864

there's no enemy scaling, different enemies are different levels in different areas. you're supposed to come back to those areas when you're stronger , or explore freely once you've leveled up a few times.

skyrim had enemy scaling, did you think thst was a good game?
>>
>>341721564

All you need to do is say to yourself, "I do not feel like doing this optional monster nest that the game does not require me in any way to do" and walk away.

It doesn't harm you in any way being there as an option if you need a bit of gold and you happen to be passing it.
>>
>>341721898
>The point they're making is that the enemies should be challenging not only by armor values or stats but by AI or moveset. And all of them should be killable if you have the right tools.

Says fucking who?
>>
>>341721507
This is another thing too, pretty unrelated to the level issues but whatever.
I see almost no incentive for Geralt to do sidequests in this game. Storywise it just doesn't make sense at all for him to run around killing Griffins and looting alchemy ingredients off bandit camps.
>>341721618
>>341721630
I'd rather have those borders not even be there in the first place my friends.
>>341721723
And this here too.
The game is open world, it literally begs the player to explore it and find out whatever is behind that mountain or that building.
I use sidequests and main quests for this too, because I'm already in the area, why not?
If the game expects me to run around from point A to point B without doing literally ANYTHING in between, thats fucking stupid design and I can't think of why they thought that would make sense.
Why have the game be open world and why have the quests be this open to execution if you punish the player for stepping 2 meters off the linear path?
>>
>>341722136
>I see almost no incentive for Geralt to do sidequests in this game. Storywise it just doesn't make sense at all for him to run around killing Griffins and looting alchemy ingredients off bandit camps.

He's a Witcher. What is he supposed to do, farming? He kills monsters for money and he needs money for better gear, to travel to Skellige, to bribe people. So he gets money killing monsters.

God, you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>341721898

>and its WoW

Okay man you're really just looking for reasons to complain. There's really nothing that anybody can say to you since you're not a reasonable person and are simply trying to make things up to complain.

My advice to Dark Souls fanboys would be to just play Dark Souls. There are a thousand RPGs with worse combat than TW3 that are exactly like MMOs(most all of them being Japanese) and yet you seem hung up on how TW3 does things more than any of them.
>>
Itt mad soulsfags nitpicking shit that aren't even issues in the first place

WAAAH WHY IS IT NOT DESIGNED LIKE THE "open world" OF DARK SOULS
>>
I stopped exploring after I wandered into a village and it skipped me forward in the main quest.

It was that undercover spy the Hunt torture and kill, hadn't even gone to the tavern to learn about him or anything.

I thought I didn't really like this game and just tonight i ended up playing a couple of hours which is heaps for me. thank goodness.
>>
>>341721869
Well what is the explanation to having a level 25 griffin like 200 meters from Crows Perch again?
Enlighten me.
>>341722027
I found a high level area by going from place to place in Velen? I found a high level area by doing a low level sidequest?
Fine, I abandon my former arguments and just conclude that that is even more retarded.

Open world was a mistake.
>>
>>341722394
A griffin lives 200 meters from Crows Perch because he has a nest there, because he can, because no one killed him yet.

You're literally grasping to that one Griffin because it's the only argument you have. Move off a bit and you find places with mobs your level. But no, better focus on that one fucking Griffin and shitpost on /v/ for hours.
>>
>>341722218
>He's a Witcher. What is he supposed to do, farming?
Yes, a Witcher on a mission to find Ciri, a powerful young woman who might as well be the key to complete and utter apocalypse.
Why would Geralt abandon that goal to find some old ladys fucking frying pan? Or pick up some roadside shrines?
>He kills monsters for money and he needs money for better gear, to travel to Skellige, to bribe people. So he gets money killing monsters.
And yet he gets gold along the main quest as well.
I did barely any sidequests my first run and I could pay the 1000 gold for skellige just like that.
>>341722273
Reading comprehension is hard, huh?
>>
>>341722258
>ignoring my whole comment about NV and how it does it better and immediately goes for SOULS FAG
Jesus christ Witcher fags are real, I thought this was just a hot new spicy meme but you're actually retarded.

I should know how WoW-ey it is since I played the fucking game for 5 years.
>>
>>341722505
>You're literally grasping to that one Griffin because it's the only argument you have.
Not even remotely true but what did I expect, you to actually pay attention to my past posts?
>A griffin lives 200 meters from Crows Perch because he has a nest there, because he can, because no one killed him yet.
Sure, great!
Now why is that Griffin 20 levels above mine, for no apparent reason whatsoever?
>>
File: bertstare.jpg (18 KB, 476x356) Image search: [Google]
bertstare.jpg
18 KB, 476x356
OP is the reason videogames are dumbed down

OP is the reason trash like skyrim sells

OP is the cancer killing video games
>>
>>341722696
>Now why is that Griffin 20 levels above mine, for no apparent reason whatsoever?
Why would it be your level for no reason whatsoever?
>>
>>341722696
I see you're still grasping at that one Griffon living 200meters of Crows Perch for many many posts and that being one of your only complaints.

>Now why is that Griffin 20 levels above mine, for no apparent reason whatsoever?

Because he's not a young Griffon that barely came to life, because he fought some battles in his life, because he's strong?
>>
>>341722717
Do please explain how my arguments, and this anons>>341722576
arguments are wrong?
>>
>>341722576

>I played the fucking game for 5 years.

That's sad what a waste of a life, no wonder you're such an angry person.

But I'll say it again

>There are a thousand RPGs with worse combat than TW3 that are exactly like MMOs(most all of them being Japanese) and yet you seem hung up on how TW3 does things more than any of them.

Just go play Dark Souls bud, you aren't getting any e-props from me about it.

>>341722572

If you want to build a lot of gear, make a lot of potions, some of the time needing to buy materials and ingredients then doing no sidequests or POIs may prove a problem.

Surely doing neither you'll not be able to afford the 30k you need for the Runewright.
>>
>>341722848
Your arguments literally consist of waah why is it not like the "open world" of Dark Souls

It's not because it was more inspired by games like Gothic and Morrowind. Levels matter, there are areas that are not accessible to your level, do something else then come back.
>>
>>341722717
>There is only MMO leveled world or Skyrim
You're the cancer anon. You drones should play some more RPGs or at least New Vegas, it's a fun game AND it doesn't have either shitty system.

If anything W3 is the most dumbed down game in the series.

>>341722954
>lol lmao stop being angry kid
Step it up anon

>Other games do this stupid thing as well
So because it's popular it's good or acceptable? I really fucking love how you keep ignoring the New Vegas argument. It's almost as if you realize you have no retort.

>SOULS FAG
Great argument, you've truly dissecting my reasoning completely, great job.
>>
>>341722797
Because its a video game and arbitrarily gating off enemies and even their experience gain from killing them just because you haven't gotten enough good boy points yet is beyond lazy and retarded game design.
Might as well have all the enemies in the game be level 100 and the Wild Hunts generals levels to be 200 because they're just that powerful and strong right?
>>341722812
>that being one of your only complaints.
Why is an open world game punishing me for exploring its open areas?
Why is an open world game advertising grand adventure and discovery but then arbitrarily gating it off by a retarded level system?
Why are low level quests in the path of higher leveled enemies?
Why are high level quests available in low level areas, and why don't they become available later on akin DD:DA?
Why is experience gain from killing overleveled foes completely nullified and not worth the risk, time and effort at all?
Why is a low level area gating off so much of its content for later purposes, in a story where the stakes only grow higher as the game progresses, and it makes less and less sense to have the main character exploring random caves somewhere?
>>
>>341723150

I've played NV like 6 times. If you want to discuss NV go to an NV thread, all you're doing is making stupid reasons up to cry like a bitch and getting frustrated when that's pointed out.

Especially when the solutions to your problems have been obvious from the beginning.

Especially when you have the option to avoid these problems entirely by enabling level scaling.

Retard.
>>
>>341713353
This is one of the easiest games I've ever played, even on the highest difficulty it's a joke.
If you're having even a tinge of trouble outside of bosses you're a casual.
>>
>>341723219

Didn't bother reading all that. It's like 5 paragraphs all about the same issue you're having in different words.

Enable level scaling and stop crying.
>>
>>341723219
>I'm gonna say the same thing in multiple ways so It looks like I have something to say
>>
>>341723219
So it's bad game design to not scale everything to the players level?
>>
>>341713353
Because it's a bad game desu
>>
>>341723219
How is giving you content for later to do punishment?
You can go on adventures and discover shit but it doesn't always mean you can get past something from the get go. Also, you can enable level scaling.
Because the high leveled enemies are sometimes related to different quests that happen later in the game or are for higher level.
Because it gives you stuff to do for later.
That's the only complaint I can agree with.
Because it's a game. If it was just about finding Ciri you'd complain about not having time to do any side quests.
>>
>>341723274
>enable level scaling
Now you turned it from WoW into Skyrim good job.

>This isn't a NV thread so your argument is invalid
Well this is going nowhere, you're a drone. Go be a happy worker bee for CDPR, I doubt they give a shit about you and your zealous behaviour but you do you.
>>
>>341723510
Where is the button to turn it into an "open world" just like Dark Souls?
>>
>>341723358
>>341723371
ebic arguments/10
>>341723389
Its bad game design to gate off content in a low level area just because
>LOL THAT THING IS JUST HIGHER LEVELED
>why though, this is a low level area with low level quests?
>LOL ITS JUST AN OLDER GRIFFIN I GUESS HUEHUE

I'd prefer if the level system wasn't even there and it was replaced with something else.

But I guess you people remembering that was too much to ask, I only mentioned it like 3 times in this thread by now.
>>
>>341713353
CDPR can't into combat or character progression. They spend all their time with cutscenes and waifufaggotry.
>>
File: 1465484741136.jpg (57 KB, 517x610) Image search: [Google]
1465484741136.jpg
57 KB, 517x610
>>341723510
>complains about mobs having higher/lower level
>complains about level scaling
>praises everythink Souls do

I wonder who's behind this post
>>
>>341723575
>why don't people memorize everything I say on an anonymous forum

Son you have autism
>>
>>341713769
if the game is better if i don't play it, then i won't play it.
>>
>>341723575
I gave you an explanation why a griffin could be a higher level in that area and all you can respond with is memes.

Just delete yourself from this world
>>
>>341723510

>Now you turned it from WoW into Skyrim good job.

This argument doesn't make sense and is pretty retarded. Nice.

I don't really know what you thought you meant by even writing that.

>Well this is going nowhere, you're a drone

I've been pretty reasonable with you and offered solutions to the things you cried about, you didn't address a single one of those posts. Not one.

As I've said multiple times you are purposefully trying to hate something to frustrate people around you. And I'm sorry if unlike you I would rather discuss games I like than find reason to hate games I'm not interested in.

I tried to help, but you're too autistic to accept it.
>>
>>341723575
>this is a low level area with low level quests
But it isn't.
>>
IT CANT BE LIKE SKYRIM
IT CANT BE LIKE GOTHIC
IT CANT BE LIKE MORROWIND

IT HAS TO BE LIKE DARK SOULS
>>
>>341713769
>Don't explore
Comical, literally the only reason to make it open world.
>Sidequests
Half the sidequests are "read note then walk 2 feet away and find chest with bad loot" or "kill reskinned enemy after following red line".
>>
File: 1465982982282.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1465982982282.png
13 KB, 418x359
>it's a "SOULS GAMES BEST GAMES LOL WITHCERFAGS LOLOLOL" episode

I hate soulsfags so much. Why do you continue to shitpost on /v/ constantly?
>>
>spent thousands of hours playing dark souls
>play other game
>it's not like Dark Souls

REEEE
>>
>>341723859
>HAHA DUDE JUST SLAP DARK SOULS COMBAT ON EVERYTHING IT WILL BE GOOD

I tried playing the games but everything felt so fucking rigid and the controls on keyboard + mouse sucked dick so much I couldn't bring myself to actually finishing any of the games.

inb4 play with a controller lmao XD
>>
>>341723910
>>341723959
Souls is shit too, don't worry.
>>
>>341723879

Treasure Hunts aren't that big of a portion of the game. I wouldn't even say they're like 1/10th.

What a drastic overstatement since every secondary/main quest/witcher contract is more than that and you know this.
>>
>>341713353
This almost made me drop TW3 despite being a huge CDPR fanboi, but once you leave Velen the level differences will diminishto the point where you'll be able to take on most enemies you encounter.
It's jarring on low levels, but once you hit 18-20 you'll be able to explore without having to avoid enemies.
>>
>>341723650
>memorize
No dear anon, I just assumed people are capable of remembering something that happened 10 minutes ago, or better in fact, not to be shitposting retards that join in on discussions when they have no idea whats being discussed.
But fuck me, this is /v/ and this place isn't for video games.
>>341723762
How is Velen not a low level area with low level quests? You enter it after Vizima, at like level 3-4
You leave to Novigrad at like level 7-8 or even 9-10
That is a low level area, considering skelliges isles, kaer morhen and the final bunch of quests leading to the battle.
>>341723681
And that explanation was what, that the griffin was slightly older and it had some battles under its belt? Literal fanfiction garbage? Okay.
>>
>>341724140

>Literal fanfiction garbage?

How does this even make sense?
>>
>>341724037
I played both Witcher series and Dark Souls series, and both series are good regarding what they do. Why soulfags can't accept that not every game should have the same mechanics they like is beyond me (and this comes from a dude that considers Dark Souls 1 and 3 nearly the best games out there, on par with Witcher 3)
>>
>>341724140
>But fuck me, this is /v/ and this place isn't for video games
>I am literally better than everyone else

Stick to neogaf and reddit
>>
>>341724140
>And that explanation was what, that the griffin was slightly older and it had some battles under its belt? Literal fanfiction garbage? Okay.

Give me a good explanation that would satisfy you then.

inb4 I CAN'T BECAUSE IT SUCKS HAHA
>>
>>341723910
>>341723959
>We can't actually argue about the level system and why it didn't suck massive cock, so lets just call him a soulsfag and leave it at that
Excellent.
>>it's a "SOULS GAMES BEST GAMES LOL WITHCERFAGS LOLOLOL" episode
Not once has anybody said that in this thread so far, except shitposters like you saying it ironically.

Cool.
>>
>>341724050
No they really aren't. Every "location of interest" (as the game likes to call it) on the fucking map is either a bandit camp, a monster nest (which is just an interactable object) or a note where you read and then run to a chest. Skellige was even worse, the entirety of the ocean was taken up by "theives caches" with bad loot in them, I had zero initiative in attempting to get them.

As for the quests, everything outside of White Orchard and Velen was a fucking borefest, the only quests with even an iota of effort were some of the main quests, and the Kiera and Bloody Baron quests.
>>
>>341724263

>>We can't actually argue about the level system and why it didn't suck massive cock, so lets just call him a soulsfag and leave it at that

Considering you have level scaling it's a non-discussion.

You're throwing a tantrum over literally nothing and acting like a retard, which is pretty common among Dark Souls fanboys and that's why they have a rep for doing it.
>>
>>341716115
Waoh...almost like...different people like different things...Crazy!
>>
>>341724065
I'm hoping thats true.
My point of replaying the game again was to do almost everything I can think off, and Velen is kind of a chore right now so I guess I do have to come back later even if that is jarring and feels lazy.
>>341724248
>>I am literally better than everyone else
Never said this either.
You people are seriously lacking in reading comprehension or something
Or hey, maybe it is just /v/, like I said, and you're here just to shitpost.
>>341724261
There is no good explanation for it.
Why is a level 25 griffin sitting outside a level 4-8 town, Crows Perch? Why does the game gate off content for no apparent reason?
I couldn't tell you.
>>
>>341724263
>Not once has anybody said that in this thread so far

>>341718982
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with running into enemies you can't defeat at your level and you need to avoid them or come back

I specifically remember people demanding the exact same thing, since people were tired of Fallout 3/ Skyrim progressing
>>
>>341724495
Then why not just accept my explanation, which would be also lore friendly?

It doesn't "gate off", it leaves the fucking gate open for later to come back.

Were you dropped on your head as a kid?
>>
>>341724342

You have like 120 hours of meaningful content that at any time you are welcome to venture and here you are crying about some monsters spawned around in the open world to fuck about with that you're in no way obligated to touch or even go near - and your experience is not in any way diminished if you chose not to.

>As for the quests, everything outside of White Orchard and Velen was a fucking borefest

I am almost certain reading this that you never actually wanted to enjoy yourself and have probably a habit of shitposting about this game. That's just disagreeable on all fronts.
>>
The Witcher 3 has a horrible system when it comes to fighting monster that are a higher level than you.
If you don't want me to rape monster that are a higher level than me don't give them arbitrary bonuses that depend on my level. Make them fucking stronger and make me scale faster.

Fuck the open-world of Witcher 3. It was completely unecessary and they didn't do anything interesting or even decent with it.
>>
>>341724401
>level-scaling
So then it turns all the enemies into comparable opponents and the problems solved right? Because Skyrim and those games worked beautifully with that system, correct?

Or perhaps you would remember that I'd prefer the level system with all its annoyances to be completely gone from the game and replaced with something better?
I only mentioned it like 5 times by now.
>>
>>341724495
Because the fucking griffin likeS that spot and decided to camp there you fucking autist. Holy fucking shit just avoid him and move along.
>>
>>341724515
>SOULS GAMES BEST GAMES LOL WITCHERFAGS LOLOLOL
So apparently, this sentence is:

Just take a look at this post, I don't have the energy to deal with more retards like you:>>341720725

Funny enough, nobody responded to that post.
Curious.
>>
>>341724670

>So then it turns all the enemies into comparable opponents and the problems solved right?

This is what it would be with level scaling or without levels at all.

I really don't know what you expect bud, you're really dumb.
>>
>>341713353
>Even randomly exploring I ran into level 15 wraiths and a level 20+ something Griffin

That's literally the reason why I love the game so much.

I believe they added an option to have enemies level with you in the options menu, for shitters like you.
>>
>>341724595
Those monsters could of been replaced with good locations like Hindhold and Lornruk. Instead we get the entire south-east portion of Velen-Novigrad being KILL THE NEKKERS WOOOO and Skellige being an unfinished mess. Where are the random encounters, where are the unmarked locations? Everything of interest is marked and even then very few locations are actually worth a second look.

Don't tell me you liked the Novigrad quests with that annoying red-haired cunt.
>>
>>341714974
>I would have preferred not to have levels at all.
>in an RPG

you might as well have said you want a modern military FPS without guns
do you even realise how stupid that sounds?
>>
>>341717991
This is why Witcherfags are hated.
>>
>>341724827
>SOULS GAMES BEST GAMES LOL WITCHERFAGS LOLOLOL

>>341722576
>Jesus christ Witcher fags are real, I thought this was just a hot new spicy meme but you're actually retarded.
>>
>>341724887
*Could've".
>>
>>341724887
>Everything of interest is marked

except you know, you have the option to unmark it and explore things naturally
>>
>>341724581
Because your explanation is a non-explanation.
We're not talking about lore or fanfiction here, we're talking gameplay and level mechanics and how they work.

>>341724691
Aaaaaand why is that griffin 20 levels overleveled to me?
aaaaaand why does killing him underleveled give me no experience points whatsoever?

>>341724829
>I really don't know what you expect bud, you're really dumb.
Read my post again.
>This is what it would be with level scaling or without levels at all.
This raises another issue with the combat that isnt really related to levels, and thats enemy variety
But I won't even open up on that because I know the examples I have would trigger all the polack shills here and make them post more reaction images and facebook frogs.
>>
>>341723443

Funny to see this post wasn't adressed at all.
>>
>>341713353
>not taking on monsters 10 levels above you
fucking casual

otherwise just walk the fuck away and come back when you're ready to fight it faggot
>>
>>341725053
How is that not an explanation? What WOULD be an explanation in your mind, then?

You can figure some things out yourself. It doesn't need to be in your face at all times.
>>
>>341724992
Not the same anon, anon.
It might surprise you but there are more than 1 person on this board and in this thread that didn't like the level system and voiced their complaints.

I bet you'll want proof too instead of reading the thread and realizing the fact that not everybody liked the system they had.
>>
>>341725161
Like I said earlier, I have no explanation for it.
Its nonsensical and stupid, end of story.

I have other things to do now anyway so what the fuck ever.
>>
>>341725051
It's marked by default, if you unmark them then you spend even more time wandering around pretty, but empty forest.
>>
>>341725270
So you're complaining about something but couldn't make a better explanation yourself, because of reasons like "it's stupid".
>>
>>341724832
Too bad that option doesn't work very well. In B&W I was getting level 1 enemies when I was level 46.
>>
>>341724887

>Don't tell me you liked the Novigrad quests with that annoying red-haired cunt.

The Dandelion quest was pretty awesome.

>Those monsters could of been replaced with good locations like Hindhold and Lornruk

There are like a hundred great locations and here you are crying like a little bitch that there happen to be some more monsters scattered in between them

"b-but they should have their own castles too"

Retarded.

>Everything of interest is marked

Turn off markers?

Ignore the map? Simply go wherever without constraining yourself to any of that?

>Where are the random encounters

I don't know what you even mean by this. Monsters have certain areas they inhabit, climates, conditions. I don't know how you haven't realized this by now considering it says it in the very journal about them.
>>
>>341725274
>WHY IS EVERYTHING MARKED NO SENSE OF EXPLORATION
>WHY DO I HAVE TO WASTE TIME TO WANDER ARROUND TO EXPLORE

Literally kill yourself soulsfags
>>
>>341724140
>How is Velen not a low level area with low level quests
Because it has high level areas and high level quests as well.
>>
File: 2983.jpg (16 KB, 255x241) Image search: [Google]
2983.jpg
16 KB, 255x241
>spy cheese my way through any gwent game in the main game
>can't possibly lose with the 4 spies of northern realms
>B&W
>everyone decoys the shit out of your spies and end up having more cards, keep their scorches until the end so you can't use the *4 melee cheese or catapults, as many hero cards as you have
>losing games against random inkeepers
>mfw
>>
>>341725375
No real point in arguing with people who will just complain about it no matter what happens.
>>
Friendly reminder that Novigrad is the best part of W3, followed by Velen and, lagging behind like the mistake it was, Skellige.
>>
>>341714793
Not kill this hoe in Blood and Wine
>>
>>341725597
To be honest after playing B&W I'll take that over the shit ridden Velen.

Everything is so fucking colorful, a huge contrast compared to Skellige or Velen. It's great.
>>
>>341725354
>Dandelion quest
If you mean searching for him no, that was atrocious, if you mean the quest where Priscilla was attacked then it's probably the only good quest in the region.
>There are like a hundred great locations and here you are crying like a little bitch that there happen to be some more monsters scattered in between them."b-but they should have their own castles too".Retarded.

Where? There are none. Those are the only locations I can remember the names of in the game. Unless you think the empty towns with re-used assets and nothing to do except empty the cupboards are immersive
>Turn off markers? Ignore the map? Simply go wherever without constraining yourself to any of that?
Why? There's nothing else to do outside of those locations. The massive Nilfgaard camp had a wopping 3 short quests in it, one of them gwent
>I don't know what you even mean by this. Monsters have certain areas they inhabit, climates, conditions. I don't know how you haven't realized this by now considering it says it in the very journal about them
I mean people, fights, events, where is it? Everything is set. Once you clear an area you never need to go there for any reason ever again

>>341725375
I despise Souls you retarded faggot.
>>
File: hehehe.jpg (18 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
hehehe.jpg
18 KB, 485x303
>>341713353
Mods, you demented fucking cunt.

Seriously, mods fix the combat and the trash levelling system.
>>
>>341722717
>games that dont have shitty and convoluted mechanics are dumbed down
this is literally you
>>
File: 1460965329501.jpg (158 KB, 733x798) Image search: [Google]
1460965329501.jpg
158 KB, 733x798
>>341725458
>have to play the Skellige deck in the tournament
>realize berserkers are basically useless faggots
>managed to cheese it through with Cerys going full BTFO mode in the third round
>>
>>341725676
That goes without saying, BnW and HoS content is far better than the main game.
>>
>>341725727
It makes it more bearable, wouldn't call it fixing it.
>>
>>341725809
I think it's because it's not just focused on finding Ciri and dealing with Wild Hunt who was kind of lore raped, too.

Still, the overall game with expansions is one of the best things I've played in my entire life, with great graphics, good gameplay with various builds and some of the best storylines I've seen in vidya.
>>
I turned off POI in the hud options before I even began playing

after finishing the main campaign I turned them back on

i got like 1/2 of them in Velen just poking around.

Then I looked at Skellige's and went LOL JESUS CHRIST at all the--what I assume to be--Smuggler Caches scattered throughout the ocean.

I can see how people went 'no fuck this' if they played without POI turned on. The game was more fun with them Off and I wasn't chasing ? marks.
>>
>>341725969
Best thing is you can find some stuff on the map without having question marks by just looking how that place looks.

Does it have a house? It probably has some shit in it. You make your own mark and explore. It's FUN.
>>
>there are literally skills you can pick that make you INVINCIBLE

>you can get a 20 minute health regen skill right from the start, all you need is food

>hurr dis gam r hurd!!!!

/v/ really is full of shitters.
>>
>>341725708

>Where? There are none.

Blatantly disingenuous. From battlefields in Velen to fucked up war-torn villages even the smallest details in between the major hubs where you find quests are very memorable.

I can't think of any other game that takes you through as many different scenic locals so very differing from one to the other with their own personality and flavor.

>Why? There's nothing else to do outside of those locations. The massive Nilfgaard camp had a wopping 3 short quests in it, one of them gwent

There's 120 hours of main/secondary quests and here you are complaining that the individual locations you stop at on the way "aren't sufficient"

Get fucked, retard.

>Once you clear an area you never need to go there for any reason ever again

Do you have a solution to this? There are genuinely no games that have ever addressed this issue.

If you know of one you should try making your own RPG because that'd be a first.

It's a good thing there's so much god damn content that should keep you occupied.
>>
>>341726041
Yea, most of the interesting stuff can be found naturally.

You can see stuff in the distance and if it looks like there's something there then theres something there
>>
>>341726223
Those battlefields were just mud meshes repeated over and over. They were quite literally just larger monster nests with even worse loot. As for the "War torn villages" all of them were empty. All they did was provide shelter from even more ghouls littering the place. You wouldn't even notice if they weren't there.
Which muddy shit-hole in Velen had personality and flavour in it? I can't remember
>Main/Secondary quests
If you're spending 120 hours completing the main quest then you're retarded. Sure you can spend 500 hours sailing to theives caches but it's not fun in the slightest. None of the secondary quests after Velen were fun.
>Do you have a solution to this? There are genuinely no games that have ever addressed this issue.
Skyrim did, and it did it well too.
>>
>>341726664

>Skyrim did, and it did it well too.

No it didn't, there's no reason whatsoever to ever revisit any 3 hut village in Skyrim that even the abandoned villages in TW3 put to shame after doing their entire 3 quest storyline.

I find it fucking ironic that you'd hate on TW3 using its landscape to tell you a story of what might have happened there and call it mediocre when Skyrim is the same trees, huts, and jagged rocks copy pasted across the entirety of the game.

Get fucked.
>>
>>341726664
>Skyrim did, and it did it well too.

How? Can you explain?
>>
>>341726881
>Witcher 3 locations are better
You just proved you are utterly retarded. Riverwood has more to do in it alone than Oxenfurt will ever have, and it's what? The second largest city in the Witcher 3?

>Using it's story
In what? The copy-pasted forest? I explore in Skyrim I find a mammoth graveyard, or hunters lounging in the steam-crags. I do it in the Witcher 3 I find a note that leads me to a chest with fuck all in it but some armour that will be useless the next time I level up.
>>
File: 1447011070644.jpg (151 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1447011070644.jpg
151 KB, 1000x1000
>>341713353
No one forces you to go there and fight against those enemies.
Do you also go to the crypt or New Londo in Dark Souls right off the bat?
>Oblivion and Skyrim raised an entire generation of kids that think all RPG's should have level scaling
>>
File: fuck they see me.jpg (23 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
fuck they see me.jpg
23 KB, 660x495
>>341727227
>Riverwood has more to do in it alone than Oxenfurt will ever have
>>
>>341727227

Riverwood is a 4 hut village that doesn't even have more to do than the White Orchard village you start in. White Orchard literally puts any village in Skyrim to shame and its essentially a tutorial area.

You're nutty, my friend.
>>
>>341727527
>Go to city which is 10 times bigger than Riverwood
>Look for quests
>Find only one where I have to run around the city and kill reskinned enemy

Fun.
>>
>>341727253
New Vegas didn't have level scaling NOR enemies being invincible at lvl X, you're the RPG babi here anon.
>>
>>341727690

Oxenfurt has more quests than anywhere in Skyrim you just go to it at different stages.

It's one of the main focuses of Hearts of Stone you should try playing the game sometime instead of blowing smoke out your fat retarded ass.
>>
>>341727676
>White Orchard
>Only quest is Twisted Firestarter, all you do is follow red line (like the rest of the game) and talk to a faggot.

Fun.
>>
>>341727834
>Have to purchase overpriced DLC to make a city have an iota of content
>even then it adds nothing to the city proper

Fun
>>
File: 1466094978848.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1466094978848.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>341727941
Here is your reply. Now fuck off you low energy shitposter.
>>
>>341727775

You weren't gonna kill a Deathclaw with the peashooter you walked out of Goodsprings with.

That said, all you had to do was use the Stealth Boy from the schoolhouse and sneak past those enemies and you were already at Vegas. Never understood why everybody said you HAD to follow the route Obsidian laid out for you to go south through Primm. Hell, there was even a pass up in the Primm mountains which was guarded by only 1 solitary Deathclaw. But he was meaner, I think he had higher PER even though he was 'blind'. He HEARS you trying to sneak through.
>>
>>341727845

>White Orchard

Get jumped by racists get in a fight get a contract for a wraith and track down a vandal who's footsteps you can follow without Witcher senses

>River wood

Show up get told to go talk to the Jarl by faceless NPCs with no personality
>>
>>341728162
You're a faggot.
>>341728384
>Get jumped by racists
You mean you beat them up then they say nothing, stand there then disappear? Also not a quest.
>No personality
More personality than the setpieces and one line npcs who repeat the same shit every time you see them. One of them asks the others name and then calls him Nilfgaard scum or something every time and tells him to fuck off. He does this every time you go to White Orchard.
>>
>>341728623

Half of the NPCs in Skyrim used to be adventurers until they took an arrow to the knee. One nameless woman npc talking about curing the clap with crepes is miles more interesting than any box named or otherwise in Skyrim
>>
>>341727775
Where did I mention New Vegas in my post?
>>
>>341728813
They are nameless guards who hypothetically could've been adventurers. The chances of someone robotically repeating the same conversation about the origins of one's name and telling them to go away every time is unlikely.
>>
File: incredulous.gif (993 KB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
incredulous.gif
993 KB, 236x224
>>341729014

>Its less likely to be told to fuck off by multiple people than for multiple guards to have the same exact experience of taking an arrow to the knee

Beside this, pretty much every locale has custom dialogue in spades offering tie-ins to quests or general information about the place they are.

Skyrim has the same exact rehashed dialogue on different NPCs across every 3 hut village.

This is without discussing how dumb it is to even make the claim that Skyrim has better writing than TW3.
>>
>>341729569
Fuck off. Every NPC in Skyrim with the exception of a few will give you their opinions, their thoughts or advice (on, for example the war, or dragons). You can ask the Jarl about his thoughts on the mountain you have to scale to reach High Throthgar and he'll tell you about it.

I walk up to an NPC in the Witcher 3 and he'll say generic (i am irrelevant please walk past me) dialogue.
>Skyrim has the same exact rehashed dialogue on different NPCs across every 3 hut village.
You're confusing it with Morrowind. Have fun challenging innkeeps in no name shit-holes to Gwent while they nod their heads like braindead retards every time. I don't know maybe you can relate.
>>
>>341728623
>the setpieces and one line npcs who repeat the same shit every time you see them
You just described all the npc's in Skyrim. Also White Orchad is just a tutorial hub, you're only supposed to visit it once and then never come back.
>>
Am I the only one who actually enjoy Witcher 3's combat? I played it Death March first run which might have contributed, maybe?
>>
>>341729943
>You're supposed to visit it once and never come back

That's what I said, you never need to talk to anyone again. They're only relevant for quests.
There's a reason people still talk about Whiterun and they don't talk about Midcopse
>>
>>341729894

There is more variety to asking innkeeps to play Gwent than there is in any "informative dialogue" in Skyrim.

Let me just throw some numbers at you.

TW3 has 450k words of spoken dialogue.while Skyrim has like 60k.

Pure numbers without discussing just how fucking terrible the voice acting and animations are in Skyrim or how trite the writing is especially in comparison to that of TW3.
>>
Witcher 3 is the only game to actually make me feel involved in the story. Didn't even realize how much the characters meant to me until I got the bad end. (The combat is hilariously easy, though. (Quen))
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.