[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Games you want to like but it just won't click. Other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
ITT: Games you want to like but it just won't click. Other anons try to explain the magic

I've tried with pic related really. I'm just not sold on it.
>>
>>341687057
No magic required, OP, only good taste and not being a millenial
>>
>>341687283
I will admit to having possible shit taste, but it's just slow and easy. Nothing about it screams "Fun"
>>
>>341687057
Where is this art from? I NEED TO KNOW!
>>
>literally just tried The Witcher 3 a few minutes ago
>nvidia lagworks makes it run like shit
>controls unresponsive as fuck
>worlds laziest skill tree
>Story mildly interesting but doesn't give you any backstory
Looks fucking gorgeous at least.

How was this supposed to be game of the year?
>>
>>341687283
>and not being a millenial

This is being said with the knowledge that the age group of what constitutes a millennial extends to the early-mid 80s, correct?
>>
>>341687057
you cant expect to just like a 20 year old game. most of the magic comes from the time in which it was released and how groundbreaking it felt.
>>
Ocarina of Time is just told really well, the storytelling is fantastic.
>>
>>341687057
Fuck off, egoraptor.
>>
>>341691880
That implies he likes any of the Zelda games.

I get why people like it, but it's boring to me, personally. Zelda has never caught my eye.
>>
>>341687057
>be me
>8 yo
>playin' some mario 64, mario kart, DDKR, etc.
>see f-zero x commercial
>fucking rad
>see OOT commercial
>don't care, but lil bro does.
>1998 xmas
>dad buy us both games
>start playing f-zero
>holy shit
>otouto start playing oot
>he does not get it, cause we are little spics and don't speak english.
>month later
>tired of f-zero
>start playing oot
>"this game bretty good"
>i can't understand shit
>grab spanish/english dictionary
>get sword and shield
>go to deku tree
>took me literal days to complete
>kill gohma
>FUCK YEAH
>go to hyrule field
>see that vastness
>HOLY SHIT
Fast forward
>playing non stop for about one year. (i did not receive any help, did not have internet and didn't know about game magazines).
>in the process, got better at english
>Finally ganon's tower
>ganondorf fuck my ass
>keep trying
>kill him
>yeah, princess zelda is back.
>castle start fucking up
>escape
>fucking ganon is alive
>he now is a fucking pig demon
>WTF
>fuck his shit.
>get ending
>dat fucking staff roll music
>feels good
And the rest is history.

At that moment, playing zelda was the most awesome experience of my life.
>>
>>341687057

I'm not a big fan of any of the Zelda games. I played the games up to LTTP when I was young, but after that they just never interested me. I can never get in to them and just end up quitting after a couple hours. The magic is gone for me.
>>
The Witcher 2
I've played the prologue a few times, but never went beyond Flotsam, didn't even complete all the quests there.
I think it's the combat system, I can't handle the signs and various potions because there are so many and I feel like I chose the wrong ones most of the time. I think it's a good RPG tho, I like Geralt and the story seems promising.

The Division
It's a great 3rd person shooter and I really like the whole setting, like you're a special agent and you must bring order back and stuff.
The problems are the cheaters, the endless grinding for useful loot and the whole dark zone pvp stuff. I don't like it when neutral people start shooting you out of the blue, especially when they act like they're actually friendly at first OR run in front of you and want you to become rogue unintentionally. Fuck those guys in particular.
>>
>>341687545
don't collect the hearts after bosses and heart pieces in the world then if it's too easy
>>
>>341687057
You're not allowed to make a thread like this unless you've at least beaten the Forest Temple. It's in the Constitution.
>>
>>341688336
Because all that matters are graphics. Not kiddy tier fun.
>>
>>341687545
>>341687057
How far did you get? If you haven't stepped out into hyrule field yet you are pleb and missing out
>>
Dragon;s Dogma, for sure. I love the fuck out of so much of that game but it's as unpolished as an iron in a brine bucket.
>>
The Witcher 3. Too many cinematics, feels like there's a cutscene after every other thing I do, and the gameplay isn't good enough to make up for it. General movement isn't sensitive enough for my tastes and combat overall is is plain boring. Haven't gotten far enough to judge the story, I'm sure it's good though.
>>
>>341692226
Well, this story was one of the reasons I loved OoT and I dont know if it's gonna work with you.

>recently started again OoT 3d in master quest mode cuz hype for BotW
>Zelda sends me to "save hyrule"
>I decide to tell saria about it, because shes my friend and I find her CUTE
>all the kokiris tell me she's waiting for me in the usual place
>awww we have a "place"
>enter the kokiri forest and get lost trying to find her
>feel like a shit friend for not being able to remember the way
>suddenly owl comes and tell me that I must follow the symphony of the forest
>start following the sound of the "saria's song"
>it actually leads me to her
>she's sitting peacefully playing her ocarina
>teaches me her song and ask me to remember her when I play it

Tl;dr. It's the magic of the videogames made with love, the magic of the little details.
>>
>>341687057
For a lot of us the magic came from the moment of it's time. 3 dimensional games were still new and OOT was among the first to create an explorable world from it. It also fulfilled the fantasy of being a young boy having adventures.

I could tell you about all of the firsts the game did that made if so important in gaming history, but that won't make you appreciate it more. And as dear as the game is to my heart, even I acknowledge that it isn't perfect.

We weren't the cynical, analytical adults who roll our eyes every time a dev makes a misstep. We were kids taking our first steps into a land of fantasy and imagination. For me, that's the magic of it, it's the game that made me get into this hobby and helped shaped who I became as an adult. It made us believe OP.
>>
I cannot enjoy new vegas
I don't know why. It completely failed to grab me, not to mention it was as unimmersive as a first person game can be. I barely got past character creation. 10 minutes later I uninstalled
Help
>>
>>341694090
if you think of it as a visual novel its nicer,personally i enjoy talking to everybody.
>>
>>341694614
i feel good knowing that the person who typed this wholeheartedly meant it.
>>
>>341694860
Understandable, Bethesda's shitty engine is cancer to immersion.
Just pass it up.
>>
>>341687057
try Minish Cap it's what sold me on Zelda, others are boring as all fuck
>>
>>341688302
It's official art.
>>
>>341687545
That's how I feel about all the Zelda games I've played. I've tried to get into them but I usually just end up feeling indifferent about them.
>>
There are some things you really do have to experience when they come out, or close to when they were out.
>>
>>341687283
Jeez dude, no need to be so hostile.
>>
File: asianplant.jpg (84 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
asianplant.jpg
84 KB, 256x256
>>341687283

You are a millennial
You are too old to be on 4chan

pick one and only one.
>>
I tried to play Deus Ex, but I just don't have the patience to explore very conversation to find any hidden paths, door codes, shit like that.
Playing stealth feels janky and ultimately leads to savescumming, else I'm playing a real loose first person shooter.
>>
OOT is different from most games in that the moment to moment gameplay isn't a lot of fun, but after you've completed a segment of the game you can look back on it with a lot of appreciation.

I'd compare it to watching an old movie, like Psycho or Lawrence of Arabia or the original Godzilla, you aren't as sucked in at any one moment as you would be with some random blockbuster superhero flick, but once you've sat through it it'll stick with you long after its finished. And when you think back on it you'll do so fondly, and you'll come to think of t as a high quality experience even if it didn't seem like one when you were in the act of consuming it.

That's how I look at it anyway. It's not something super active that you sit down and get all hyped up about, it's just not paced like that kind of game.

As for my game I couldn't get into, I played skyrim for like five hours and just found it so dreadfully boring.
>>
>>341687057
Link has such nice legs
>>
>>341687057
Mystery Dungeon games. I want to like them but something about the dungeon crawling is tedious as fuck.
>>
Earthbound.
>>
>>341695816
You'd probably like the first two games then. Those are the two in the series that'll actually kick the player's ass and are really action focused.
>>
I can't think of a specific game off the top of my head but I can't get into horror games. I've tried a few of them but most of them just feel kind of dull.
I was at a friends house watching them play Fatal Frame and I was losing interest in it pretty quickly but my friend was freaking the fuck out.
>>
File: 1466098805768.jpg (6 KB, 130x234) Image search: [Google]
1466098805768.jpg
6 KB, 130x234
>>341692801
>>
File: header.jpg (84 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
84 KB, 460x215
I want to like the game but it's really hard to desu.
>>
Dark Souls

I'm currently trying to play it for the third time. I think the combat is pretty fun, but it feels a little too grindy for an action game where I end up running the same sections over and over for souls. The game becomes either frustratingly difficult or tedious depending on how I approach it. It probably wouldn't be so bad if it had ambient music. I've dropped it twice before because the game ends up feeling like work rather than being fun, like I have to force myself to try and enjoy it.
>>
File: zen.jpg (107 KB, 780x438) Image search: [Google]
zen.jpg
107 KB, 780x438
It's cause you're used to games giving you everything on a platter, that you don't want to work for anything like OoT or Zelda's before it make you do.

That's the only reason. You're spoiled, and your brain is so warped by this conditioning that you perceive anything that isn't given to you freely with anxiety and impatience.

The truth is that everyone suffers from some form of ADHD, but what makes Zelda unappealing to you isn't that. No... It's the fact that you also suffer from what I call Popcornminditis.

You my friend, are suffering from a virulent epidemic in mankind that prevetns them from enjoying anything not current. No dated movies, or music, or books, or video games can trigger your enjoyment, because you aren't thinking about whether you have to throw caution to the wind to make that giant leap at the beginning of the game in the Deku Tree, or have to remember your way back through the Lost Woods as an adult without musical cues to guide you.

You're thinking "why are these graphics so shitty?"

And so you will always live in a cycle of suffering, until you break free and desensitize yourself by only playing retro games for a month. It sounds easy, but without a strong enough will, you will cave, and will is what I'm afraid you may lack if you enjoy today's games.
>>
File: 1465889274399.gif (3 MB, 222x379) Image search: [Google]
1465889274399.gif
3 MB, 222x379
>>341687057

gravity rush

no seriously, the sound design is spot on and the world is intriguing but fuck me, the game needs to be more than gravitying into things and kicking them.
>>
File: kirby.png (462 KB, 747x795) Image search: [Google]
kirby.png
462 KB, 747x795
No sir, I just don't like it.
>>
>>341687057
Bought OoT with my first paycheck, mostly because my little brother wanted to play it. As soon as he was done i traded that shit for Rogue Squadron.
>>
>>341696506
I tried my friends copy of Mystery Dungeon and was having fun until the pokemon I was rescuing decided to wander away from me and get itself killed. I just stopped playing it after that and never tried it again.
>>
>>341697017
You really shouldn't ever have to grind for souls. If you can't beat something it's because you've done something wrong, not because you need to be a higher level. You're supposed to be spending that time on the bosses instead to be learning how they work and how to beat them.

Perfectly understandable if you'd rather just drop it though.
>>
File: mh4u.jpg (677 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mh4u.jpg
677 KB, 1920x1080
It seems like it gets fun from what I've heard, but the early game is just so boring to me. I really want to like it, but it just isn't grabbing me.

Please convince me
>>
TW3. It doesn't feel like the story stands on its own if you don't know about the books or haven't played the prequels, which I just don't care enough to pursue.
>>
>>341695032
Joke's on you, I was just shitposting.
>>
MGS3
I dont even know why
Havent touched MGS2 either

Which is weird because I love MGS1 and MG2SS, but 3 never clicked.
>>
>>341697608
How early are we talking?
Have you at least killed a few large monsters?
Have you been sticking with only one weapon or moving around, trying to find The One that feels good?
>>
>>341687057
>the magic
You had to have been there. The "magic" is seeing Zelda make the transition to 3D so seamlessly.

If you didn't play it back in the 90s, and you're just checking it out to see what all the fuss is about, well, it's honestly a pretty unremarkable game. It's not bad, just very by the numbers. (Then again, for it's genre, it set "the numbers" and it's amazing what they achieved with such limited hardware)

People who like Ocarina fit into two groups

>Nostalgia goggles
>"I like this game because you're supposed to like it for gamer cred"
>>
>>341696864
Thanks anon, I appreciate your (YOU).
>>
>>341697965
I hadn't played a 2D Zelda before OoT, I bought it because Link looked cool in Smash Bros and I thought swords were rad as fuck.

Game was still pretty cool.
>>
File: pickles.jpg (7 KB, 234x249) Image search: [Google]
pickles.jpg
7 KB, 234x249
>>341697965
Or it's just a legitimately good game. But that wouldn't make any sense on /v/ would it?
>>
>>341697965
It's basically that whole "The Beatles aren't that great" or "Shakespeare is unoriginal" thing. When compared to all the works they inspire, the original quits looking as amazing.
>>
>>341695032
Ignore
>>341697704

I really meant that. He's the shitposter.
>>
>>341693658
>tfw feel exactly like OP does for 3d zelda and I just beat EH REH temple

Alttp and minish cap were way better IMO
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.