[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sakurai: gamepad is intrusive, I won't use it in Smash Bros.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: MiyamotoDS.jpg (134 KB, 380x307) Image search: [Google]
MiyamotoDS.jpg
134 KB, 380x307
Sakurai: gamepad is intrusive, I won't use it in Smash Bros.
Aonuma: gamepad is intrusive, I won't use it in Zelda
Retro: gamepad is intrusive, we won't use it in Tropical Dong

Miyamoto: gehmpad is so fun! I wirr use it in Star Facks and Pikumin

Is it time for him to go?
>>
Yep
>>
It was ok in Pikmin
But yeah, Miyamoto really needs to go if Nintendo wants to live
>>
Really, the only games that use the gamepad well are Splatoon and Mario Maker
>>
Did he push for that shitty thumb nub on the DS strap as well?
>>
I can't imagine a Nintendo without Iwata OR Miyamoto.
>>
>>341664204
He's already taking a step back from development and working on multimedia projects.
>>
You could just use the pro controller in pikmin

>>341664646
You forgot Monster Hunter and Hyrule Warriors
>>
>>341664204
>Smash
>can't use the gamepad to select any of the menus
>can't use the gamepad to make custom characters in the character select screen
>>
>>341666753
*and is now working on multimedia projects
>>
I thought the gamepad was actually useful in pikmin 3, automating and drawing paths for the other two captains helped speed things up tremendously. I could never get close to this record setting runs for pikmin 1 and 2 but with the gamepad, I'm like 2 days shy of a perfectly optimized playthrough, it's great.

That being said, I think Miyamoto is in a bad spot. He's the chief creative for the company, he has to think up a "gimmick" for each successive system or Nintendo can't justify staying first party instead of publishing on opponents superior hardware. So when he makes a game, he HAS to incorporate the gimmick or then nobody will. He's a victim of his own success. I think he should be relegated to QA, supposedly he helped the Splatoon team refine the concept till it worked but then you see him make some horrendous calls like Sticker Star or Star Fox Zero. Let him ride out his days coaching the next generation.
>>
Its clear shiggys glory days are behind him. Nintendo needs fresh faces in the higher echelons of the company.
>>
>>341664646
The gamepad in XCX is great. Fast travel on the gamepad is a godsend.

The gamepad is great for little things like that, or if you just want to play in another room or something. It's also great for games like the Luigi's Mansion one in Nintendoland where it's 1v4, but for some reason nobody really took advantage of that...

Are there any 1v4 games for Wii U? I can't think of a single one besides Nintendoland.
>>
>>341668847
>Japanese company
>Fresh faces in the higher echelons
>>
>Talking shit about Pikmin

Say what you want about all the other games he's been involved in, but Pikmin is sacred. The gamepad controls were actually comfy as fuck.
>>
File: modal_ss_16.jpg (220 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
modal_ss_16.jpg
220 KB, 1200x675
He's not wrong though. I understand the whole "disrupts gameplay" thing. But the issue isn't the Gamepad itself necessarily. It's the lack of creativity or technical prowess of the designers.

I like the way Zelda uses it optionally, so no complaints there, but the concept that it's a detriment to gameplay is fallacious.

As an example, look at TWEWY. A game that utilizes both a top and bottom screen, and is without a doubt, the favorite DS title on here.

Otherwise, what difference would it have made that Zelda had been made with the PS4 in mind?
>>
>>341668431

Maybe Nintendo should put some of their massive corporate coffers towards making hardware that can actually compete with their contemporaries then.
>>
File: Game-WarioWare-Fruit.jpg (113 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Game-WarioWare-Fruit.jpg
113 KB, 640x360
>>341669182
Game & Wario uses it for a pictionary sort of game where one player draws and everyone else has to guess what it is. There's also another game where one player controls someone a thief that looks like one of a bunch of NPCs and the other four players have to identify him or her.
Mario Party 10 has the Bowser mode.
NSMBU has the assist mode but the gamepad player can just choose to make everything harder instead of helping.
>>
>>341664204
They said the screen is intrusive, not the controller itself dipshit.
Pikmin 3 and Star Fox didn't use the 2nd screen.
>>
>>341664646
It works in Splatoon because of the Beakons mostly, without those clogging up the map with a bunch of targets you could just scroll through locations on a normal minimap for your super jumps or something.
>>
File: 1440723955982.gif (196 KB, 264x269) Image search: [Google]
1440723955982.gif
196 KB, 264x269
>>341669780
let me dream man, let me dream.
>>
>>341668847
>fresh faces in the higher echelons of the company

You know how you get to the higher echelons of a Japanese company? Outliving and outmooching all your contemporaries and being promoted to fill the gaps left when your predecessors die.
>>
>>341670921
>Star Fox didn't use the 2nd screen
It was used to be a first person cockpit
>>
>>341670930
You only need to stare down when super jumping, and that's mostly done when you're respawning, with nothing happening at TV.
Only time you get distracted is with the inkstrike, but it should take you a couple seconds max to pick a spot.
>>
Smash 4 really could have benefited from allowing players to use the gamepad on the menus.

Also, Pikmin 3's gamepad controls are great, especially after the update that added touch screen support.
>>
>>341664204

I mean, it's kind of Miyamoto's job to actually use the hardware

You can't blame the guy

Give him normal hardware and he'll make great games

also the gamepad worked very well with Pikmin, and it had multiple control schemes, the issue is that Star Fox was rushed
>>
>>341671101
You could just press select to switch screens.
>>
>>341670947

Nintendo do has a lot of new people

Splatoon was created by new faces as well as Animal Crossinrg devs

Which also explains the leftovers making Amiibo festival
>>
>>341670606
Except the for dick waving contests on /v/ over frame rates and polygon counts, most people really don't care about hardware. Genuinely. Why do you think Apple does so well?

On top of that, most of the hardware on their competitors is being used for non-gaming purposes. Kinect, live streaming, voice enabled menus, etc. Nintendo's hardware is a good compromise between functionality and cost to the user. That's why the Wii was so successful. They've always been a software driven company.
>>
>>341664646

what are
>nintendo land
>W101
>Zelda remakes
>Xenoblade

and anything that uses off-tv play
>>
>>341667029
The only thing Hyrule Warriors uses it for is Off-screen play (which a lot of games already do), or to show you a recap list of recent prompts that had come up in battle.
>>
>>341670009
The difference between the two screens of the 3DS and the 2 screens of the Wii U is distance: the 3DS screens are right next to each other, while any standard play of a Wii U title will have the gamepad much further from the player's line of sight.

Thus Aonuma's comment about "you don't drive with your GPS on your lap".
>>
>>341664204
Why does Miyamoto struggle to pronounce L while Sakurai and Aonuma can say it just fine?
>>
Games that for some reason tries to divide your attention between the screens are bad. That may be true.

But it's not as if the second screen can't be great. It makes absolute wonders for Shovel Knight.
And just imagine how much good it could do for Odin Sphere or a game like it.

That is about the extent that the second screen should be used for. But that is also the extent that the second screen should be used for. It's a real shame when games fully neglects the screen even thought hey could have complemented the game with it.
>>
Worked pretty great for Pikmin, but Star Fox, even though I got used to it, is a mess.
Could have just been gyro without the screen switching nonsense.
>>
>>341674242

Star Fox Zero needed a competitive element like online play at the very least. Multiplayer competitiveness makes for a much greater motivation and satisfaction with unorthodox controls than posting high score screenshots on miiverse.

Really, even if Zero controlled like a regular game, it was still absurdly short with half-assed multiplayer and fuck-all for unlockable content, the gamepad was the LEAST of that game's issues.
>>
>>341664204
It worked pretty damn well for Star Fox and Pikmin.
>>
>>341664646
You have not played Deus Ex. The Wii U version is my favourite by FAR because the gamepad integration is so seamless. It feels great.

Also XCX and all the others anons mentioned. It has it's place, the problems only appear when shoehorning comes in.

>>341664204
Is there going to be no gamepad in Zelda at all? Not even inventory management?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.