[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Changes In Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Were Made Based on Negative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83
File: screenshot_2-768.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_2-768.jpg
118 KB, 1280x720
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/16/aonuma-said-that-changes-in-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-were-made-based-on-negative-skyward-sword-feedback/

>Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon about how fan feedback influenced Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Aonuma says that “A lot of the fans that played Skyward Sword said that they were really bummed out that they couldn’t find the hidden element of the game. A lot of the users, when they looked at the map, they said, ‘OK, there’s these places I can go, but how come I can’t go over here?’ Fans that enjoyed the motion controls in Skyward Sword may actually be a little bit disappointed playing this game.”
>Aonuma says that the decision to create a bigger world was largely influenced by those fan responses. Aonuma continued, saying that “a lot of Zelda fans are the type of people who really like to explore those hidden elements. I realized that creating this bigger world and letting them freely play may be the solution to all of that.” Aonuma concluded by saying that “I’ve always thought that when creating a 3D game where it’s easy for users to get lost, it’s really important to tell the users what they need to do. But then, after creating this larger world, I realized that getting lost isn’t that bad. Having the option to do whatever you want and get lost is actually kind of fun. I think fans that enjoy a more linear type of gameplay will also enjoy this type of gameplay”.

Where were you when Zelda was SAVED?
>>
>>341657919
>Having the option to do whatever you want and get lost is actually kind of fun.

HOLY FUCK MIYAMOTO HAS BEEN SAYING THIS FOR 30 YEARS DO YOU FAGS EVEN COMMUNICATE
>>
>>341658354
Miyamoto was the one holding Zelda back you chucklefuck. This is the first game where Aonuma has had complete control.
Go play Sticker Star and Star Fox Zero for your amazing Miyamoto game design
>>
>>341657919

>zelda team hears the complaints of the last game, makes the new one a very different experience for those people

>paper mario team hears the complaints of the last game, tells fans to fuck off and go play the mario and luigi series
>>
>>341658626
Why is Aonuma consistently the only big Nintendo dev who listens to people? Everyone else seems to just do whatever the fuck they want, but he created TP because of WW feedback and BotW because of SS feedback
>>
>>341657919
>The last club nintendo post play sirvey i do is link between worlds
>essentially tell them my life story regarding zelda
>Tell them as an adult i dont like zelda games anymore and this will be my last one
>3 years later today i feel like i helped talk sense into aonuma
Thanks ninty
>>
>>341658609
It saddens me that deep down I know Miyamoto has become a fucking hack. His child like design philosophy is what is bringing the company down creativity wise.
>>
>>341658354
Miyamoto has been dead for a long time senpai.
>>
>lisen to fans
>ever
>>
>>341657919
Because they were told OoT was a masterpiece so they were amplifying all the changes that game made to a Zelda formula.

Zelda used to be less structured, Zelda used to not hold your hand. Zelda used to immediately get to the game without an extended opening sequence that would treat you like a baby as it teaches you basic controls. Zelda used to not have annoying side kicks who told you how to do everything.

Skyward Sword was the ultimate Culmination of the 'OoT is perfect' meme and it was terrible just like most of the changes OoT made.

I'm glad we've finally gotten beyond that, moved back to Zelda's roots so the Zelda franchise can finally prosper again. OoT was a mistake and I'm glad Nintendo finally realizes this.
>>
So if this is massively successful will it be the new Ocarina of Time and be the starting point of future Zelda games?
I'd love to see this formula in places besides Hyrule.
>>
>>341657919

Aonuma talks complete bullshit. No point reading his interviews.
>>
File: 1465936452010.gif (2 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1465936452010.gif
2 MB, 360x360
Going by what I saw from the streams...it shows and it's fucking delicious.
>>
"Getting lost is fun"
"I realize now hand-holding isn't fun"
"If you're skilled enough you can go straight to the final boss"
"The story is a reward for exploring"
Not all heroes wear capes
>>
>>341657919
And yet it's still got that fucking obnoxious stamina bar from Skyward Sword.
>>
>>341659935
The stamina bar was one of the things I liked in SS
>>
>>341659935
It's better now, the penalty for running out of stamina is lessened
>>
>>341659935

Under most circumstances I'd agree it's shit but it's absolutely mandatory to have it there as a limitation to the otherwise unrestricted wall climbing.

Of course though it could have existed exclusively for wall climbing and maybe one or two other very specific things but oh well, it's not a deal breaker.
>>
>>341659458
I can't tell if that's an actual person on the left, he looks like a cutout.
>>
>>341660430
Does it not beep anymore? Because that was the biggest penalty.

>>341660440
>Of course though it could have existed exclusively for wall climbing and maybe one or two other very specific things
Exactly my thoughts. There's no reason to tie running to it at all. It serves no purpose.
>>
I liked Skyward Sword, and I'll like this new game aswell, unless of course it really is the japanese skyrim. Sure is fun not being autistic
>>
>>341660462
Looks like a cutout of charles barkley
>>
so what's up with the voice acting
>>
So if weapons break, does that mean you can break the Master Sword? That doesn't seem very fitting, yet having it be unbreakable negates the whole mechanic of multiple weapons and weapon styles, unless the Master Sword also doesn't do much top tier damage, which also doesn't seem fitting.
>>
>>341659458
>you will never create something people like so much that they dress up as your characters to meet you
Must feel pretty nice
>>
So any info on that leak? Or did Nintendo's ninjas find the guy?
>>
>>341660854
Master Sword is unbreakable late-game upgrade, obviously.
>>
>>341658609
>>341657919
>Aonuma was actually held back by Miyamoto this whole time
>Aonuma dos nothing wrong

Wow, this is like when Kotick was right about Schaffer
>>
>>341660924
Use your brain
>>
>>341660854
Probably won't do top-tier damage except against Ganon
>>
>>341660854

There's zero info on what the master sword is going to be like yet so it's just speculation at this point.

Ideally it'd be nice to have it as an unbreakable ol' reliable that you can always count on to get the job done but isn't the absolute best tool you have access to barring maybe when you're at full health.
>>
I'm a little curious as to why then, if there's no motion control combat, is Link right-handed again?
>>
>>341660568
Nope no beeping. They even got rid of the aggravating low health beeping
>>
>>341660854
Most likely it'll be like Skyward Sword with the Hylian Shield.
The Master Sword will not be a requirement and will reward players who look for it, same with a Hylian shield.
>>
>>341660854
I'm guessing it will be like in SS, where the shields could break, but you could get the Hylian shield that would never break. I hope there's a way to find the Master Sword while exploring. That'd be really cool.
>>
>>341660854
I'm betting it's a reward for doing the actual dungeons which is why he says you'd have to be skipped to beat Ganon right away. Cause you'd have three hears and no master sword.
>>
>>341661186
Well that's already a significant improvement. From what I watched of the screen I didn't see the stamina bar ever get low, so I wasn't sure.
>>
>>341660854
Master Sword, Hylian Shield, and the Green Tunic will all probably be the top tier bonus set.

You know, kind of like Daedric in Morrowind.
>>
>>341658787
>>341658609

I think the biggest issue is that Miyamoto can't keep up with technology. He's old and comes from a time when all video games were simple. Games are bigger and complicated now, and I think he just gets worried that it's too much. Simple video games were fun then, and I think he thinks that's why they were fun.
>>
>>341658947
Heres your (you)
>>
>>341658787
>His child like design philosophy is what is bringing the company down creativity wise.
No, they just need somebody to rein him in, like most artists need. There wasn't an issue back in the day because they were under huge constraints, and because it was all new. He didn't feel a need to express himself in overly elaborate and dumb ways. And if he did, he couldn't, just because the technology wasn't there yet.

Now, though, he's old, he's gotten tired of the simple pleasure of game design. He's still a master of it, but he's constantly looking for that new thing, that thrill.

I personally think he'd be great on lower budget experimental titles, let him go hog wild, you know? But give him a short leash on the cash cows, the big guns.
>>
Open empty worlds aren't free, that's just the illusion of freedom.

the best Zeldas (LttP and Link's Awakening) are pretty linear. ideally, give us a linear game with lots of secrets and side quests, and make it hard
>>
>>341661084
>why then, if there's no motion control combat, is Link right-handed again?

Because it's either SS Link or a clone of him waking up after being in stasis for 100 years
>>
>>341660568
>There's no reason to tie running to it at all. It serves no purpose.
In SS there were running based puzzles. I haven't seem them in BotW but they might be there. Otherwise I'd agree though.
>>
>>341660854
It'll run out of magic

Link might not be able to use it

It'll break and just need a repair instead of being lost

Pick your choice fampai, think things twice before posting
>>
>>341661403
>>341661475

THIS is the problem with Miyamoto. Nobody can even agree on whether his games are too basic and simple or too gimmicky and complex
>>
>>341658947
revisionist egoraptor memeage
>>
>>341657919
I like when he backhands the previous game its still in that doublespeak the nintendo devs love to do where there's nothing wrong with a game they made, it just served different tastes.
>>
>>341658609
When will people understand that Miyamoto never really did anything for SS, except make some suggestions?
>>
You know what hope is still in? Somedumbass that yells "HEEEEEEEEEEEY" at Link. It always sounds so terribly done but I love it and I need it to be in BotW too.
>>
>>341658947
Go take your ADHD meds egoraptor
>>
File: 1466100924513.jpg (547 KB, 950x933) Image search: [Google]
1466100924513.jpg
547 KB, 950x933
Apologize
>>
>>341661458
That isn't a refutation, but I'm glad I triggered you OoTfag. It means you know I'm right.

>>341661780
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here but I'm pretty sure it's salty OoTfag crying.
>>
>>341660903
There might be at least one person who likes my game enough to do that
>>
>>341662115
I never doubted you Aonuma, I just thought you'd be forever in Miyamoto's shadow.
>>
>>341658609
Pikmin 3, and Star Fox Zro are good games. Sticker Star isn't Miyamoto's game, or his fault.

ANd are you HONESTLY going to tell me that Miyamoto of all people forced heavy storytelling and tutorials upon a game? Are you retarded? Skyward Sword and TP were all Aonuma.
>>
>>341661475
Yeah. He should move to working on smaller titles and only giving advice to new designers on the big games
>>
>>341662139
Link's Awakening sucks
>>
>>341661927
Miyamoto is scary, dude. Even during development of BotW they said that even with him going they were constantly panicking over "what would miyamoto do"
Those "helpful suggestions" most likely got implemented no questions asked in SS.
>>
>>341662240
>Star Fox Zero is a good game
Nice meme
>>
>>341662115

I'm not apologizing because he figured out one of the basic principles of a franchise he's been working on for 20 years.
>>
>>341660568
Running all the time would give you too much mobility
>>
>>341662325
You incorrectly guessed the Zelda game I have feelings for.

Try again.
>>
>>341662115
I don't need to. He directed WW and TP, which are great and unlike most of /v/ I don't for a single scape goat to blame. For SS I blame the wii and the audience of it. That's who it was made for, not the usual fans.
>>
>>341662115
Not until I see good dungeons and bosses. Also make the physics a bit more realistic and not like a shitty indie game and maybe then I'll take the game more seriously, because right now the game looks janky as fuck
>>
>>341662451
Way to dodge the real argument with your meme opinion, shithead.
>>
>>341658947
Were you even alive when OoT was released?
>>
>>341662460
What's the downside?
>>
>>341657919

>Aonuma says
>Where were you when Zelda was SAVED?

Not in the year 2016
>>
>>341658354
Miyamoto was the hack all along.
This is the first zelda where he's hands off except for animation supervisor and suddenly the game is good.
I remember when people jacked it to him "flipping the table" while tp was being developed.

TP turned out to be a turd.
>>
>>341662320
He should actually get a small team and just start a project hands on. No more producing consuling holier than thou garbage. He also needs to get the idea of "fun" out of his head and just feel it. I feel like he has a checklist of what is fun and tries to force that shit into everything
>>
>>341658947
This is true
>>
>>341662348
Is this a Japan thing or is it special to him because he created their biggest series and highest rated snes-n64 era games?
>>
>>341662325
it's the best one, it's actually got the surreal dreamlike atmosphere feel all the pseudo-intellectuals think Majora's Mask has
>>
>>341660854
Maybe it will be rusted and old whenyou get it, making it deal terrible damage, but it's still unbreakable. As you play you reforge and improve it, but before you get the fully upgraded end-game Master Sword it deals less damage than other weapons of similar "level"
>>
>>341662576

>More and more people are starting to call Miyamoto a hack

I'm glad people are finally starting to realize that he's far past his prime. He was great back in the day, but time has moved on and he hasn't.
>>
File: 1456557432563.png (255 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
1456557432563.png
255 KB, 555x555
>>341657919
This Zelda is shaping up to be a master piece. I've got some sort of genuine child like giddy feeling in regards to waiting for this game to come out now. The delays were worth it, and Nintendo is coming back into my personal based status.
>>
>pre-botw
>MIYAMOTO IS GOD
>AONUMA IS A PUZZLE LOVING HACK

>post-botw
>MIYAMOTO IS WASHED UP
>BASED AONUMA SAVING ZELDA

When are you idiots going to realize that game development is a complex process and single games can't be attributed to a single person?
There are DOZENS of game developers that worked on Skyward Sword that influenced design decisions.
>>
>>341662240
>Skyward Sword and TP were all Aonuma.
Aonuma also worked directly on OoT and designed things like items, enemies and entire dungeons himself. He's the figurehead now and likely isn't directly involved with the design process, so I just don't see how all the blame for these games can be lumped on him when he was a figurehead but he gets no credit for actually designing content in OoT.
>>
>>341657919
>Fans that enjoyed the motion controls in Skyward Sword may actually be a little bit disappointed playing this game.
As one of the three people who enjoyed SS's combat, I don't mind this. Motion control always felt more like a gimmicky twist than a permanent change to the Zelda formula. This also means that NC has a chance of having a normal controller.
>>
>>341662563
I'm actually older than the Zelda franchise.
>>
>>341662742

In Japan, those of senior position are pretty much gods. It's rare for anything to be done about them even if they go crazy and start ruining the company.
>>
>>341657919
>Where were you when Zelda was SAVED?
people will complain about breath of the wild and claim skyward sword is an unrated masterpiece.

I
>>
File: 1464665039237.jpg (80 KB, 640x539) Image search: [Google]
1464665039237.jpg
80 KB, 640x539
>I realized that getting lost isn’t that bad. Having the option to do whatever you want and get lost is actually kind of fun.

WELCOME HOME ZELDA

WELCOME HOME
>>
>>341662563
Not him, but I was. I grew up with the original zelda games and OoT annoyed the shit out of me by how intent it was on holding my hand and walling off stuff.
The tutorial village was like a prison and the sequels made that shit worse.
Im not sure how peopel fail to realize this.

The shit you liked about OoT wasn't the annoying sidekick or the fact that you couldn't leave kokiri village until you did EXACTLY what the game wanted you to do.

Gated gamedesign became a huge problem of zelda.
TP was the prime example. How long that shitty village took.
And SS took it to the maximum level
>>
>>341662847
>pre-botw
>MIYAMOTO IS GOD
What world is this
>>
File: Link_OoT.png (181 KB, 282x565) Image search: [Google]
Link_OoT.png
181 KB, 282x565
>>341662576
Hey man even the boss needs to be reeled in sometimes. Like how he wanted OoT to be first person but was convinced otherwise because "the players should be able to see how cool link looks".
>>
>>341662240
Zero was awful, no option for normal controller killed it
>>
>>341662847
Every single one of those decisions were presented to Director Fujibayashi who passed them onto Producer Aonuma who passed them onto Miyamoto
>>
>>341662862
>NC
*NX
>>
>>341657919
>No motion controls
>Link is still right handed

go fuck yourselves.
>>
THICC THICC
>>
>>341662826
He never was.
The guy who made all the games was tezuka. Look it up.
Miyamoto is a inafune type posterboy is good with people and had a charming personality.
Thats why they made him the face of nintendo. Tezuka looks like a fat japanese businessman. Not the kind of guy you want to send arround the world to do pr
>>
>>341662975
But I'll most likely like both.
>>
>>341662115
>single-handedly turned the most popular game franchise into a niche series centered around weeby casuals
>Makes up bullshit about the other directors' games in an attempt to distract attention from how shitty his are
>His masterpiece would literally be a grass cutting simulator
>I'd literally rather the series be in the hands of Infunae or Taneem

Yeah, nah, I'm good
>>
>>341662576
>animation supervisor
>all the shitty physic animations
well that explains a lot
>>
>>341661013
THICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
>>
I've given Aonuma shit over the years, but I can tell he really cares about the series. He's willing to listen to criticism and try to approve in future entries, even when he could change nothing and still get a few million sales and good reviews.
>>
>>341662847
I've been calling for Miyamtoto's resignation ever since Sticker Star killed the very last of the hope and goodwill I had in my heart.
>>
>>341662983
Someone who knows what's up.
>>
>>341663090
What's autism like anon kun?
>>
>Having the option to do whatever you want and get lost is actually kind of fun.

its cute watching japan play catch up
>>
>>341662847
Finding patterns is how the human brains works fampai
>>
>>341661186
DAY ONE
>>
>>341662859
The same way you're lumping it all on a man who had even less to do with the Zelda games you dislike.
>>
>>341663290
Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword sold terribly even with Skyward's 10/10 reviews, so I don't think he could've really kept doing what he was doing.
>>
>>341658947
That's literally the first thing I noticed about BotW.
Link wakes up because mystery woman told him to( Zelda or Goddess) and bam. There's this huge world for you.

You CAN follow the guidelines of the Sheika stone or whatever the thing is called, or just go explore and do shit in the world.

And I LOVE it.

I mean, I adored OoT and MM, and WW is seriously one of my favourite games ever even if only for Toon Link and his expressions being kawaii as fuck, but this new/old take on Zelda is awesome.
>>
>>341663135
Is it that already? Are we already to the rewriting history to make it seem like Shiggy always sucked phase?
>>
>>341663135

Yes, I know who Tezuka is. No, I'm not interested in being contrarian and rooting for the underdog. Miyamoto is responsible for some great concepts in the 80s and 90s, he's a great ideas guy, but it was better when he was limited by both technology and position.
>>
It's definitely different, and this is what I basically expected.

If there's an option to remove the name over items and stuff (hurts immersion) and they fix the framerate I'll buy it.
>>
>>341663463

Yeah, come on and join us. It's much more fun here than the real world.
>>
File: manson.jpg (9 KB, 260x381) Image search: [Google]
manson.jpg
9 KB, 260x381
>>341657919
thank god miyamoto isn't attached to the project
>>
>>341663463
I've been saying this for years, just like how I said OoT is the root of all that sucks in modern zelda.

But I guess it will take egoraptor to lurk a bit more, read my posts and then make some half-assed video for people to start parroting it again.
>>
>>341663329
No, fuck you link was the only character I could ever relate to because I had to endure living in a backward shithole where they tied my hands behind my back just because I learnt to write with the wrong hand.
>>
http://www.wired.com/2016/06/zelda-breath-wild-aonuma-demo

>At about the same time, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata instructed Miyamoto to create games that capitalize on the Wii U’s unique GamePad controller, with its motion controls and touchscreen. The first of them, Star Fox Zero, featured dual-screen gameplay that confused players. The developers tried the dual screen approach with Zelda, but rejected it.

>NINTENDO
>“We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing,” Aonuma said. “You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!” Still, you can play the game entirely on the GamePad screen, if you like. Considering how vast the world is, it would keep you from monopolizing the TV.
>>
>>341663580
He is, actually. They were interviewing him about the game and his influence on it.

>>341663623
And you've been wrong for years. Cool. Miyamoto's Zelda is Zelda 1. Aonuma's is OoT.
>>
>>341663623
You tell them oh wise and arrogant hipster
>>
>>341661458
>>341661780
He's entirely right, except that Ocarina was still good despite the hand holding and Zelda's slow descent into linear puzzle heavy cinematic garbage started as early as ALTTP. By ALTTP Zelda was already piss easy and forced you to follow the straight line for like 5 entire dungeons before opening up. The series was good for a long time, but step by step it started losing what made the original great and OoT was another heavy stride in the wrong direction.
>>
>>341660973
>>341661067
>>341661079
>>341661224
>>341661227
>>341661249
>>341661402
>>341661662
>>341662808

This is good feedback. Thank you all. This might be the first time since gen 6 that I pick up a Nintendo console and play Zelda.
>>
>>341658947
You see though it was almost necessary when OoT was released (judging from your post I'm assuming you weren't around then) because a whole new type of gameplay. But yes they did milk that formula a little too hard, and Skyward Sword definitely suffered from heavy hand-holding that just isn't needed anymore.
>>
>>341662458
Sounds like he finally understood.
>>
7 and this turns out to be the shittiest zelda to date
>>
>>341663710
Holy shit how did it take them this long to figure that out
>>
File: 1465864796284.png (168 KB, 365x377) Image search: [Google]
1465864796284.png
168 KB, 365x377
>>341663710
>We realized that having something on the Gamepad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the Gamepad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing,"
Holy shit, this is giving me some real hope for the NX.
>>
File: stayfresh.png (179 KB, 1480x990) Image search: [Google]
stayfresh.png
179 KB, 1480x990
Both this game and Splatoon show that having new and younger designers that challenge conventions and traditions in their games is something Nintendo really needs more of.

I hope to see New Super Mario Bros. given a big overhaul. Drop the "NEW" from the title and give it AAA presentation like the 3D Mario games.
>>
>>341663996
The new CEO was probably tired of miyamoto's
>IM A FUCKING GENIUS
thing.

The N64 had to be delayed for a full year because miyamoto couldn't figure out a way to make the controler work and wanted it to be perfectly fined tuned to Mario 64, cost them the lead against playstation.

And the virtual boy was another one of miyamoto's stupid half-baked ideas.
Just like how he tried to sell his stupid gamepad for wii u idea as some brilliant new genius move. Miyamoto's problem is that he started to believe the PR nintendo did about him about what kind of super genius he is.
>>
>>341663710
Finally.

I love the Wii U gamepad as a screen I can use while other people watch TV or a movie and it basically becomes a bigger GBA with Wii U graphics. But constantly swapping viewpoints sucks.

it works on (3)DS because the screens are in your field of view constantly.
>>
>>341664148
They should let the younger generation start making games and let the old guard sit back and just be the peanut gallery. We're gonna get a 90s japanese vibe all over the place if they do.
>>
File: Sad Refia.png (38 KB, 195x178) Image search: [Google]
Sad Refia.png
38 KB, 195x178
>>341661403
>I think the biggest issue is that Miyamoto can't keep up with technology
>He's old

Age catches up with everyone. Just look at Miyazaki, if you compare Valley of the Wind/Mononoke/Spirited Away to The Wind Rises, it's clear he's completely lost was made his films great.
>>
>>341660854
It'll be like every Zelda where the old gear is replaced when you get new, and the only reason weaker equipment exists is to slow progress early game and make players feel like they've progressed because their sword looks slightly different
>>
>>341663297
The game where his name isn't even in the credits you mean?
>>
>>341664252
>Virtual Boy
So now Miyamoto is the one we're sticking other people's fuck ups to? Just trying to be clear. Since that was all Gunpei's thing.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (530 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
530 KB, 1920x1080
>>341662742
If you are old guy in a high position in Japan, your coworkers WILL do as you say because obviously they don't know any better. It creates a harsh environment that in certain contexts causes a LOT of damage.

For instance, Japanese pilots used to get themselves in crashes and accidents much more often than they do now. Why? Because whenever something seemed amiss, the crew had to listen to the senior pilot. Even if his co-pilot was right on the money about what was wrong, it was considered "bad form" to question his senior. This is also a similar situation with other Asian countries that have similar work environments

Now Japan tries not to do that anymore and their performances went up leading to safer landings and fewer casualties. Unlike their Asian cousins. Note how this shift is also reflected in this context with Miyamoto not following along with the project and getting others to speak. Except with less dire consequences involved.
>>
>>341664352
I liked the games that let you take some HUD stuff and put it down in the pad.

Like opening your menu to look at a map but instead all I have to do is lift up my pad or look down at it.
But fuck games that force you to go back and forth on a regular basis.
>>
>>341664535

That's sad to hear. I haven't seen one of his movies since Howl's Moving Castle.
>>
>>341664603

Miyamoto once disguised himself as a nondescript employee, and then used his hackfraudity to plant the idea for the Sega Saturn within Sega HQ.
>>
>>341657919

My biggest issue with Skyward Sword was the empty over world with no towns or cities other than Skyloft. Did he fix that?
>>
>>341657919
It will be boring shit just like every other open world game. It's the worst meme of our time.
>>
>>341664706
Miyazaki has become a rambling old pedo who constantly shouts about how evil otaku are when everything points to him being the biggest otaku pedo arround.
>>
>>341662563
Here's the thing about OOT though:

It was INCREDIBLY revolutionary, in the way it utilized 3D space and allowed the player to move around.

Kokiri villiage was absolutely necessary for gamers in 1998, because nothing quite like it had ever been done before, or as well. People needed time to aclimate to even the really simple, stupid things we don't even think about now, like Link's walk speed, and how he reacts to analog control, and especially the Z targeting, dear god the Z Targeting! What the fuck is this shit?!
It's easy to poo-poo now, because we're 20 goddamn years removed, but the design of Kokiri villiage and Inside the Deku Tree is a solid 75% of the reason OOT is considered a masterpiece of game design.

The problem is, we're used to that shit now. We don't need it. Camera-focused targeting is in literally everything. We needed Kokiri forest in 1998. We don't need it anymore.
>>
File: fuck off with your meme.jpg (148 KB, 492x853) Image search: [Google]
fuck off with your meme.jpg
148 KB, 492x853
>>341664898
exactly, pic related
>>
File: Daikatanabox.jpg (67 KB, 410x500) Image search: [Google]
Daikatanabox.jpg
67 KB, 410x500
>>341664792
That bastard. I could forgive Miyamoto for making Daikatana but not for that.
>>
>>341664875

>80s - Platformers
>90s - Platformers and shooters
>2000s - Shooters
>Now - Open World

What's next?
>>
>>341664875
i ll take boring open world over immersive cinematic experience any day
>>
>>341657919
I didn't see the whole gameplay presentation but I did see some sections where it looked like Link was climbing up a strait wall. If this can be done everywhere it is going to ruin the map design.
Nintendo has some good internal developers though so I'm sure the game will be fun. I just hope they're not listening to "fans" too much. Be careful what you wish for.
>>
>>341665153
It can be done pretty much everywhere. You can in fact climb that mountain.
>>
>>341665079
Porn VR

Waifus

It'll be glorious

Next is full dive MMOs
>>
>>341665048

Eh, he's got a point though. Otaku are shitty people with shitty tastes.
>>
>>341665153
There are some walls you can't climb, like inside the shrines where all the walls are smooth.

I think mostly everything on the overworld is claimable though.
>>
>>341659458
Me on the left.
>>
>>341664252
>virtual boy one of miyamotos ideas
You really are trying to rewrite history. Gunpei mang
>>
>>341665153

>If this can be done everywhere it is going to ruin the map design.

Depends on how it's handled. Thief's rope arrows didn't ruin the game because Looking Glass Studios had some top tier level designers.
>>
>>341664535
>it's clear he's completely lost was made his films great.

Are you implying The Wind Rises isn't great? Why? I agree certain type of magic on his films has changed but I think it's still there, it's just diferent, can you elaborate?
>>
File: 1359176899529.jpg (35 KB, 324x278) Image search: [Google]
1359176899529.jpg
35 KB, 324x278
>>341662240

>Zero
>Good

Why'd it fail so hard then?
>>
>>341665079
Walking simulators with Trannies and binary genders protags.
>>
>>341665072
What about when Miyamoto made the kinect?
>>
>>341665330
Otaku literally means nerds or better "people that are obsessed with a thing".
>>
>>341665079
>gen 3 - Platformers
>gen 4 - Beat 'em ups
>gen 5 - 3D platformers
>gen 6 - 3D Beat 'em ups
>gen 7 - Console FPS
>gen 8 - Open world "RPGs" with kill cams
>gen 9 - FMVs with QTEs
>gen 10 - "You have to use your hands that's like a baby's toy"
>>
>>341664535

FUCK you The Wind Rises was a beautiful film
>>
>>341662240

>SS
>not Miyamotos fault

How fucking tarded are you? Or is this bait?

SS was shaping up to be an improved TTYD and MIyamoto came along and said "hey this is too much like gamecube version, please start over and add nothing"
>>
>>341665079
Muh emoshuns walking sims
>>
I begrudgingly have respect for Aonuma since he's listening to fan feedback and is TRYING.

That said, he did ruin the series in the first place.
>>
>>341664535
Didn't his son direct that one?
>>
>>341665645
Anno killed it
>>
>>341663932
>(judging from your post I'm assuming you weren't around then)
I was 13 when OoT came out.

OoT was a mistake then and it's a mistake now.
>>
File: 1460963704544.gif (665 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1460963704544.gif
665 KB, 500x375
>mfw the egregious, undeserved resentment toward miyamoto gets so out of control that it becomes trendier to praise him and he gets the recognition and acclaim he actually deserves
>>
File: Michelangelo_pietà_rondanini.jpg (392 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Michelangelo_pietà_rondanini.jpg
392 KB, 1536x2048
>>341664706

His last film was pretty bad, it's based on engineer in Japanese history, but Miyazaki adapted him from a passionate pacifist to an empathetic autist and forged a relationship between him and a character from a famous Japanese novel to add drama. The narrative seems at odds with itself and there doesn't seem to be much reasoning behind the choices he made, but then he's old, it can't be helped.

Pic related, it's the final work of Michelangelo. What's saddest is that he still had the self-awareness to be frustrated at himself for losing his ability to sculpt.
>>
>>341665640
>>
>>341664535
Nah if you're going to force movies into the conversation then I'd like to point out that Lynch has literally never lost it.
>>
I think we have to wait to play the fucking game.

BotW runs the risk of being so big it loses all sense of "level feel" that you'd get in the various dungeons, fields, outcroppings, etc. of other 3D Zeldas.

I think this is what they need to try though.

...Hey, do you think DLC could work with this game? It seems like mod bait, but it's a Nintendo game, so...
>>
>>341665804

Yeah, a weeb buddy of mine confirmed this
>>
>>341665794
Iwata must have possessed Aonuma or something because what the fuck is this sudden turnaround in his approach to gamedesign
>>
>>341665024
>Kokiri villiage was absolutely necessary for gamers in 1998, because nothing quite like it had ever been done before,
Unlike you I was a gamer in 1998 and the tutorial village still annoyed the shit out of me.
It was bad gamedesign back then, it is bad gamedesign now.
People were already used to 3D navigation from games like descent and game. Even tomb raider and MDK. Even for nintendo only people there was already mario 64.
Kokiri village is plain bad gamedesign, because it also punishes people who are not complete autistic dimwits.
>>
>>341658947
OoT wasn't a mistake. Continuing to try to use OoT as a building block was a mistake though.

OoT was only as good as it was because it was inspired by the games that came before it. The games after OoT didn't look to anything BUT OoT, so they didn't have the same game design context.
>>
>>341665706

More like

>Hey this game is a lot like that other rpg series we have, why not do something a bit different

Not Miyamoto's fault that IS went straight retard based on that suggestion
>>
File: 1460174474768.jpg (39 KB, 495x642) Image search: [Google]
1460174474768.jpg
39 KB, 495x642
>>341665910
>2015
>playing video games with your hands
>>
>>341665882
the thumbnail looks like an ancient version of "the weak should fear the strong"
>>
>>341665471
Because of memesters like yourself spreading lies about it. Why did Bayonetta 2 fail so hard? Was it bad, too?
>>
>>341665976
Not having to be afraid what Miyamoto-Senpai thinks of what you're doing.
>>
>>341666003
>game
Meant to write quake here instead of "game", maybe I'm having a stroke or something.
>>
>>341665810
He certainly wasn't up for the task.

I wonder how the english dub sounds because at least there we'd have a professional actor.
>>
>>341662569
Why do you not want downsides? Sprinting everywhere is now something you can upgrade with potions and whatever, which wouldn't be the case if it wasn't restricted.
>>
>>341665859

While I do love the guy, pikmin should have been Miyamoto's final project, and after that he should just wander about Nintendo HQ and tell tales of old to the new generation
>>
>>341665706
>hey this is too much like gamecube version
No, that's all he said, right there. That and "use Mari ocharacters". IS proceeded to make the shittiest battle system imaginable, add in real world shit for no reason, and ignore 80% of Mario characters.
>>
>>341666031
Not quite. MM was very different. And WW was very different. TP, as much as I like it, was very samey because they wanted to recapture the audience after MM and WW divided fans. And it worked, it's the best selling zelda.
>>
>>341658787
Nintendo thinking it's a fucking toy company and failing to realize that it's major consumer base at this point is adults is whats holding the company back. Miyamoto's pandering philosophy would be fine if he wasn't trying to pander to toddlers.
>>
>>341666216
You haven't actually said what the downside would be.
>>
File: MiyamotoPls.png (2 MB, 1498x3344) Image search: [Google]
MiyamotoPls.png
2 MB, 1498x3344
>>341664554
Miyamoto had a hand in Sticker Star's development.
Source: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/0
>>
>>341657919
Aonuma always wanted to surpass OoT

He'll not only surpass it but he'll Blow it THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>341666290
>And it worked, it's the best selling zelda.
It being released on two platforms simultaneously, one of which as a launch title has a lot to do with that.
>>
File: W 3.png (185 KB, 802x330) Image search: [Google]
W 3.png
185 KB, 802x330
>They are learning after SS
>everything shown in Zelda U is looking to be the best Zelda in years. YEARS.

After SS I didn't think I would be saying this again so soon but I'm fucking hyped for new Zelda.
>>
>>341657919
>Overhead comes along and tells the Zelda team to center the game around unique gamepad functionally, so it will sell about as much as Starfox.
>Zelda team paid attention to problems people have had with the "literally nothing" of TP, and the motion controls and confined areas of SS.
>Zelda team tell Overhead "Nah fug off"
>Continue to make best Zelda ever.

Zelda team has always been based. It was always either Miyamoto or Iwata holding them back.
>>
>>341666093
Miyamoto is responsible for Bayonetta failing too. It was originally going to play at 1440p and 144 fps, but I overheard Miyamoto tell Kamiya to downgrade it because he didn't want it to be technologically superior to WIi Music
>>
>>341666398
>BoTW will release on Wii U and NX as launch title
>chances it might not be the best selling since the playerbase for Wii U is tiny compared to the Wii
>>
>>341666293
Nintendo IS a fucking toy company though.
>>
>>341666462
>They are learning after SS
Intelligent Systems sure 'aint.
>>
>>341666353
... maybe you should read what you linked. It might make you realize you were wrong. It doesn't say what you think it says
>>
>>341666290
TP is fundamentally different from OoT, under the same coat of paint. If anything TP shares much more likeness with ALttP than OoT

WW is just rehashed OoT technology, with a shiny new coat of paint and more hand holding. In fact the entire game is hand holding
>>
>>341663020
>first person
so we would have had king's field?
>>
File: meteorite.webm (954 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
meteorite.webm
954 KB, 1920x1080
>>341666462
I was so ready to be disappointed by the new Zelda. I played all Zelda games but quit SS half-way through, ready to let the series go.
And then BOOM
>>
>>341666072
>>341666259

He said no story and no new characters, the only thing that made SPM redeemable was it's great story and characters.

Yeah IS shit on it too but it would've been much better if Miyamoto hadn't opened his stupid mouth to begin with and just let us have a true sequal to paper mario instead of this innovation crap they keep shitting out.
>>
>>341666293
I think they OVER estimate how young their audience really is and the Wii install base didnt help. The gamecube was a clear sign they were heading in a more mature direction as a company and not even in an edgy way.

I mean this in that they emphasized in making games all ages would be interested in playing and didnt seriously pander to the kid audience. I know theyve always catered to a younger audience but that wasnt everything they were.
>>
>>341662240
Star Fox Zero is trash.
>>
>>341666917
>WW hand holding
At first maybe
>>
>>341663248
>physics animations
>PHYSICS ANIMATIONS
anon you have no idea what you're talking about do you
>>
>>341667030
Also it doesnt help that everyone but nintendo knew the Wii was lightning in a bottle.
>>
File: waitaminutethatroom.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
waitaminutethatroom.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>341667098
>>
File: 1465871720822.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1465871720822.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>341666879
>Intelligent Systems sure ain't
Don't remind me anon. I used to love IntSys what the fuck happened
>>
>>341664535
The Wind Rises was great though
>>
Any way of reliably emulating TPHD?

I want to replay it but I don't feel like dusting off my Wii
>>
File: 1322721748562.jpg (25 KB, 243x195) Image search: [Google]
1322721748562.jpg
25 KB, 243x195
>>341667000
>mfw you go to that crash site and the resorce you pick up is MM related

Honestly the hype feels like MGS2 all over again for me, all that TECHNOLOGY is blowing my mind.
>>
>>341658609

>Its a "EVERY BAD DECISION IS MIYAMOTOS FAULT" Movie

this literally needs to stop.
>>
>>341667228
Looks like something you should blame on playtesters
>>
>>341663808
This. OoT used a lot of its mechanics in a way that was tolerable and led to what I believe to be one of the best Zelda games.

The game itself isn't bad, in my opinion, but later games took some of its mechanics and ran with them to rather unpleasant extremes that threw off the whole balance that made OoT fun in spite of the mechanics we've grown to resent since then.
>>
>>341667292
>The Wind Rises was great though

It's a decent enough film, but not nearly as good as his masterpieces.
>Valley of the Wind
>Castle in the Sky
>Kiki's delivery service
>Mononoke
>Spirited away

I doesn't come close to them.
>>
>>341657919
Why did it take Aonuma about 20 years to figure out what everyone else knew all along?
>>
>>341663842

wait for the NX version.
>>
File: 1458086972756.jpg (141 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
1458086972756.jpg
141 KB, 543x405
>>341662240
>Pikmin 3 and Star Fox Zero
>Good

Yeah no. I'm glad Miyamoto is finally being seen for the hack he really is. He's on par with George Lucas.
>>
>>341666889
What does it say then? From what I see, it's saying that Miyamoto influenced Sticker Star by trying to keep things true to his Mario formula, including removing Bowser's voice and limiting them to using already existing Super Mario World characters.
>>
>>341667491
>make shit game
>blame on the people that played it
>>
>>341667864
Aonuma had these ideas all along, but Miyamoto forced him to engage in hypnosis everyday in which he was made to forget everything good he wanted to implement in Zelda
>>
I just wanna say that this has been a really nice, insightful thread with some good discussion. This really had been one of those few threads that makes browsing through all the shitposts worth it.

Thanks anons
>>
File: SkullPunt.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
SkullPunt.webm
3 MB, 640x360
This game just became even more beautiful.
>>
File: Yoshiaki_Koizumi_2007.jpg (597 KB, 759x979) Image search: [Google]
Yoshiaki_Koizumi_2007.jpg
597 KB, 759x979
>There will never be another Koizumi Zelda

Feels bad man. It wouldn't be so bad but Nintendo won't let him direct ANYTHING anymore, despite being responsible for two of the best Zeldas and by far the best Super Mario in Nintendo's history.
>>
>>341665024
>It was INCREDIBLY revolutionary, in the way it utilized 3D space and allowed the player to move around.
People say this but it's really not true. Context sensitive buttons are incredibly old, orbital targeting was done in plenty of games predating OoT, and the out of combat Camera in OoT was actually pretty terrible and needed constant resetting.

OoT wasn't actually revolutionary in any way that was positive for games. What it was revolutionary in was cinematic story telling in game engine rather than through prerendered cutscenes or FMVs.
>>
>>341667864
because miyamoto finally let the guy make the game he wanted instead of sticking his old decrepit nose into everything.
>>
>>341667970
Fuck you, Pikmin 3 is better than 1.

I agree that 2 is the best but saying Pikmin 3 is not good is literally a cocksucker ideal.
>>
>mfw I can't justify getting a bloodbornestation4 for BB only

>I'm going to literally buy a Nintendo NX only for Zelda

And I don't regret anything

I'm probably going to get a PS4.5 so whatever
>>
>>341668245
All of these shitposts are made by Miyamoto himself, who browses /v/ everyday to make sure no intelligent conversation can be had
>>
>>341657919
As happy as I am that they're doing away with the handholding and linearity, I still wish there was a meaningful companion character that accompanied you.
>>
Did anything ever come of that guy stealing the zelda demo? Was any of it real?
>>
>>341664846
Mine was the lack of diversity of areas. Apart from Skyloft, you had a wooded area, a volcano, and a desert. Flooding the wooded area and having the ghost ship in the desert helped some but that was it. It didn't help that you had to replay the Ghirahim and Imprisoned fights over several times, traverse the same 3 areas for the trials, nor that the final dungeon was a simple blender puree of the previous three areas.

I hope for as much variety of places to go to as ALBW and TP had.
>>
File: LaserParry.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
LaserParry.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>341668309
Forgot link to video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEI8H262EAk
>>
>>341668360
>>341668238
What are you guys talking about? Aonuma himself is saying that he though getting lost was a bad thing. How are you turning this into Miyamoto being a curmudgeon?
>>
File: NOT THE BEES.webm (617 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
NOT THE BEES.webm
617 KB, 1280x720
>>341668309
Holy fuck
>>
File: Man_yelling.jpg (9 KB, 350x268) Image search: [Google]
Man_yelling.jpg
9 KB, 350x268
HEY EVERYBODY I MADE A /vg/!!

>>>/vg/145713334
>>
>>341668360
By any chance would you know who was the person who put Fi in Skyward Sword? It's not Miyamoto.
>>
>>341658609

they're both fucking hacks. miyamoto is a lost cause but this may be aonumas first step on the road to redemption
>>
Please start doing the same with your other franchises Nintendo. Especially Metroid and Paper Mario
>>
>>341668613
>making a general thread for a game that won't release for 9 months
>>
>>341662994
That might work a bit better if it said "pre-Sticker Star" or "pre-Wii Music", those seemed to be the real turning points on the perception of Miyamoto.
>>
>>341668613
>>341668613
>Ruining the fun.
Great. Now everyone is going to post >>>/vg/ every thread.
>>
How long does it take to get from one side of the map to the other side in the demo? Anyone know?
>>
>>341667779
Anyone who thinks OoT is actually a bad game is a monumental retard who has problems separating his own opinion from objective fact or just a contrarian piece of shit.
Not only is it one of the most influential 3D games ever made, it's also just well designed by itself, which is an incredible feat considering how many games failed the jump from 2D to 3D. And OoT did it with very little to work off of.
>>
>>341668613

>having a quiet, comfy discussion
>black man starts yelling

Every fucking time.
>>
>>341668310
What's he up to these days? The last things he seemed to have actual development in (according to wikipedia anyways) were 3d world and flipnote studio 3d 3 years ago.
>>
>>341668735
Metroid just needs more prime 1 and 2 with controls from 3

What we need is more Fzero.
>>
>>341662983
The only games that didn't have a ''tutorial'' village/dungeon you had to go trough before starting the game were LoZ and Adventure of Link, and those where the first games.
Every Zelda game after that had that shit.
You were that ONE dude who can't be please with anything and will complain about the smallest of details.
>>341662895
then you are too old to be playing videogames, gramps. Get over it, games were always toys, and toys are for kids.
>>
>>341668347
>orbital targeting was done in plenty of games predating OoT

Name one.
>>
>>341668580
People were catching onto Miyamoto's tricks, so he kidnapped Aonuma's family and forced him to make that comment
>>
>>341668576
>Can shield parry with an actual button instead of hoping the nunchuck feels like working that day
>>
>>341668830
No idea but last year when they showed the horseriding techdemo they said something like players needing more than 30 minutes on horseback to get from one end of the map to the other
>>
File: 1432573234329.jpg (100 KB, 500x622) Image search: [Google]
1432573234329.jpg
100 KB, 500x622
>>341657919
>>341662115

>Iwata will never get to see Breath of the Wind in action
>>
>>341667864
Now, we all know her tits are amazing but what;s with her eyes? They look crazy
>>
File: Untitled.png (254 KB, 338x385) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
254 KB, 338x385
>>341657919
>I realized that getting lost isn’t that bad. Having the option to do whatever you want and get lost is actually kind of fun
>>
>>341657919
>“I’ve always thought that when creating a 3D game where it’s easy for users to get lost, it’s really important to tell the users what they need to do. But then, after creating this larger world, I realized that getting lost isn’t that bad. Having the option to do whatever you want and get lost is actually kind of fun.

Shit modern game developers have forgotten.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.