[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you sure scan lines are how developers intended the game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: Snatchersc.jpg (535 KB, 1300x1528) Image search: [Google]
Snatchersc.jpg
535 KB, 1300x1528
Are you sure scan lines are how developers intended the game to look?
Like, you're positive?
>>
Scanlines and shitty 15inch tv/monitors, just like the god intended.
>>
>>341652502
Bottom picture looks fucking amazing.

We will never go back in time when technology was still relatively new before the huge burst of it all at once, effectively killing everything good.
>>
Nope. They designed shit on computer monitors.
>>
File: image.jpg (195 KB, 1192x896) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195 KB, 1192x896
Those are really heavy and poorly emulated scanlines, first of all.
Secondly, yes, most developers in the era of CRTs designed their games around the limitations of the technology and sometimes even took advantage of it. A perfect example is in Sonic 1 where the waterfalls have spaced pixels that look a bit odd on the pixel perfect displays of today, but create a transparency effect on CRTs. This took some load off the Genesis itself and created a nice visual effect. This holds true for most "checkerboard" effects on older games; the checkerboarding just creates a nice looking graduation on a CRT. This is why CRT filters exist in emulators, so that games can look as intended.
Give this article a read sometime: https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-case-for-composite.html
Sure, it's debating RGB vs. Composite (most likely viewed on an LCD) but the effect seen with the "composite" filter is very similar to what's visible on a real CRT (and on an actual CRT, and RGB input looks amazingly sharp while retaining the intended effects produced by real scanlines).

TL;DR: yes, but they have to either be on a real CRT or emulated well. the scanlines in your picture are not emulated well.
>>
>>341653635
and those computer monitors were most often CRTs, dummy
they also had to take what consumers were most likely using into account
>>
File: I've.png (353 KB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
I've.png
353 KB, 3072x2048
>>341654127
>>
>we will never get a modern Snatcher game
end me
>>
File: klahn.jpg (150 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
klahn.jpg
150 KB, 1920x1080
>>341654816
You get Detroit!
>>
>>341655150
take him to Detroit
>>
>>341655624
I mean the game
>>
>>341655853
take him to david cage's detroit
>>
>>341652502
That's the intended idea, but that particular filter doesn't look quite right. There's multiple ways to recreate CRT and scanline effects, and many of them are better than the bottom image.
>>
>>341656271
>doesn't look quite right.
Don't CRT's bleed due to inherent brightness and make the scnalines appear finer?
>>
File: Snatcher Sofa.jpg (267 KB, 1186x791) Image search: [Google]
Snatcher Sofa.jpg
267 KB, 1186x791
You guys use chaos technology sofas?
>>
File: Inner Heaven.png (78 KB, 1024x960) Image search: [Google]
Inner Heaven.png
78 KB, 1024x960
>>341656954
>>
>>341657525
When does he say that?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.