[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zelda: BotW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: ph4BWul.gif (1 MB, 600x347) Image search: [Google]
ph4BWul.gif
1 MB, 600x347
Gaming's third renaissance.

Zelda 1 was the first
Ocarina of Time was the second
And now.. Breath of the Wild. It will usher in a new age of games. Until they go stale again and we need this franchise to save us once more.

Thankyou Zelda. Thankyou Aounuma, Miyamoto-san!
>>
File: 1465248492319.jpg (31 KB, 316x340) Image search: [Google]
1465248492319.jpg
31 KB, 316x340
>>341644639
>This Fanboyism
>>
>>341645079
prove me wrong though
>>
>>341645173
Prove you are right first?
You made the claim.
Saying what will happen without any arguments is just blatant Fanboyism.
>>
>>341644639
I actually kind of agree.

Granted, it's way, WAY the fuck too early to make any kind of grand statements like "THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!". We need to let the game come out and really show us what it's all about before we make any difinitive statements.
BUT, assuming the game is as good as the trailers and gameplay footage lead us to believe, then yeah. This shit's gonna be revolutionary.
>>
They actually wanted to do this with Twilight Princess too.

Stuff like procedural burning, Enemy camp outs in the places where you've frequented. Weather control. Animals playing a big role. Shield surfing.

All that stuff is from Twilight Princess beta. Maybe even Link's nimbleness (if you take a big fall in TP from a side-jump, Link will roll sideways when he hits the ground even though you don't know the dodge roll yet).

This is why Aonuma said you will get an urge to replay Twilight Princess again as you play through BotW.
>>
>>341644639
All been done before
>>
>>341646639
Kill yourself
Everything has been done before
>>
>>341646639
>unscripted procedural burning
>openworld with shifting temperatures and pressurization.
>ability to control wind and physics in any situation, much less in a world 320 sqaure miles big
>nonlinear game with seamless transition between environments

And all of that is just from the 1/24th of the overworld and six out of over 100 shrines that we've seen.

I would be scared if I were you, with denial that severe that is.
>>
>>341644639
I don't get all the hype over this game, the game isn't all that impressive. It's seems like your average open world RPG with a boring player character.
>>
>>341644639
>no link petting minigame
fuck you nintendo just give me cute boys
>>
File: 1462613253825.png (507 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1462613253825.png
507 KB, 750x750
Why does E3 bring in all the children to fall for all the shitty bait threads.
>>
hopefully miyamoto dies soon, so he will stop ruining everything
>>
>>341647761
>game isn't even out yet
>treated like the second coming of christ.
>>
>>341645841
Alright, not that guy, but I'm game.

This game's approach to open world gameplay is something we haven't really seen before.

In basically every other open-world game ever made, the landscape is immutable and more or less just white-noise, populated by monsters and points of interest. The overworld itself rarely serves as an obstacle. It's just kind of there. A giant plate full of scripted events.
That's where I think all the "The world looks empty!" complaints are coming from; they have nothing but 10 years of open-world games to compare it to, and each and every single one of those takes the "immovable plain with stuff on it" approach to game design.
In Zelda, that's clearly not the case. They've clearly gone out of their way in this game to make FUCKING EVERYTHING, from the grass to the trees to the weather, both interesting and useful.

In every other open-world game, getting from point A to point B is, at best, a boring slog through a non-interactive environment, punctuated by the occasional enemy or side-quest.
In this game, getting from point A to point B is literally the basis for the entire philosophy behind the game's design. It's not just a reason for down time between missions, it's the entire point of the game.
>>
Didn't ALTTP completely devastate the userbase when it was released? I know OoT is a masterpiece of fiction, but at the time, ALTTP was as good as adventure games got, if you weren't desirous of an RPG.

It should be:
ALTTP was first;
Ocarina of Time was second;
and Breath of the Wild will be the third in a new age of innovation.
>>
>>341647995
I imagine it might be because E3 brings in a bunch of users who don't otherwise browse or post on /v/
>>
>>341648341
Zelda 1 already did everything ALttP introduced except storytelling.

ALttP was only the first adventure game with a story, which is a big deal, but I don't think it was as convention-flipping as OoT/BotW.
>>
>>341648770
No it didn't, they're totally different. Zelda 1 is the better game, and ALttP introduced puzzles as we now know them in Zelda. Zelda 1 just had secrets
>>
>>341648770
>ALttP was only the first adventure game with a story

>this is what console kiddies actually believe
>>
ALLLLL ABOOOOAAARD THE HYPE TRAIN
>>
>>341649824
>ALttP had puzzles
So did Zelda 1.

>>341650005
Prove me wrong then toddler.
>>
>Thankyou Aounuma, Miyamoto-san!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35N3SO2H7IE
>>
>>341648195

Exactly. Literally this.

Instead of being something like a huge open world but with only pre-determined paths you can go through, this is actually a literal sand box, in which you can do things in any way you want.

It doesn't give you just options, it literally gives you freedom to go anywhere any time.

Something like TPP or Witcher 3, while great games on their own, aren't truly free. The developers try to think of what paths players may try to take and design the locations and events based on those multiple paths. If you try to take a path the designers didn't foresee, the gameplay won't be up to bar, and the experience will be awkward.

Like climbing mountains and going around areas where normally you wouldn't be able to acess in Skyrim and TW3.

This game has no paths. You can just say "fuck it" and do whatever, because they built the gameplay around being able to explore everything.
>>
File: 4365826837546989034.jpg (22 KB, 250x298) Image search: [Google]
4365826837546989034.jpg
22 KB, 250x298
>>341650253
Probably something before this I'm not aware of but this is what comes to me.
>>
>>341648195
This was a great read. Very well explained anon. Thankyou
>>
File: 1465950118914.png (3 MB, 1200x1715) Image search: [Google]
1465950118914.png
3 MB, 1200x1715
>>341647792
you have to take a deeper look into the footage.
there are some crazy shit going on in this game that's revolutionary for a zelda title.

If you pick it apart, it's not that impressive. But if you look at it as a collective whole, it's a pretty darn big step and it's a franchise that's giving players something they didn't know they wanted from the franchise. Who the fuck expected Link to be able to jump with a button? It's nothing in it's own but in the context of a zelda game... bruh.
>>
I'm not getting too hyped. I don't feel like being disappointed again. I'm looking forward to seeing fan hate cycle again.
>>
Where is all of the anger coming from? Game looks rad.
>>
>>341644639
Even if Nintendo were to perfect this genre with BotW, it didn't create it and get it perfect first try like they did with Zelda 1 and OoT. That's nowhere near as much of an accomplishment.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.