[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"this game is too easy" >it's a competitive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1431844651560.gif (791 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1431844651560.gif
791 KB, 300x168
>"this game is too easy"
>it's a competitive multiplayer game with ranked matchmaking

Someone explain this logic. How can a game be easy or hard if all your enemies are human players which are matched to equal your skill level?
>>
Consider rock-paper-scissors: If you really think about it, the skill cap involves complete brain simulation of your opponent so it's arbitrarily high, and realistically humans are already capable of showing their superiority over other humans.

However, there's an extremely limited number of options (just three), the act of playing the game at some level is utterly trivial, and unless one player FAR exceeds another in skill, the results are essentially down to luck. Moreover, a person who is practised in coming up with pseudorandom numbers in their head can make it a game of pure luck against anyone.

Similarly, many video games come down doing one or several tasks exactly right while there's absolutely no room for novel approaches and there's virtually no difference between a player with perfect execution and one that is merely competent. In addition, randomness, unpredictability or poor balance can make it such that skilful play cannot realistically alter the outcome, which causes the player to feel their skill has no effect, ie. "game is easy".
>>
>>341644704
>In addition, randomness, unpredictability... can make it such that skilful play cannot realistically alter the outcome
No, that's not how that works. Stop being bad and learn what risk management is.
>>
>>341644704
this
>>
Some people, such as myself, have played a game so well that we uave prettt mich broken it.

It contains bo challenge, even when pitted against good players or those of equal rank.

>>341644704
>the act of playing the game at some level is utterly trivial
This is me with dota 2 and tf2 and the main reason why im not playing overwatch.

Too easy.
>>
>>341646315
if every game you play in dota is too easy you havent played to get a proper mmr
>>
>>341643216
some people actually do think they're the hottest shit
>>
>>341646315
>This is me with dota 2
good luck at TI RTZ lmaoo
>>
>>341644972
Exactly. A certain degree of randomness is needed to throw a wrench into the works from time to time, forcing plans to be watertight so that some occurance doesn't throw you into deep shit. On the other hand, a game where everything is totally deterministic lets players make some really precise plans and exploit edge cases, which can often be more entertaining and well-planned.

Each game is different and must be considered differently.
>>
>>341646315
Overwatch doesn't have randomness.
>>
it literally makes no sense and it's even worse when a this kind of game is well established such as league, WoW or hearthstone

>This game is TOO EASY for me, I could be literally making millions by winning all the tournaments but I refuse because it's not hardcores enough!
>>
Some games take more or less effort to play at one's maximum skill level.

Chess vs Draughts, for instance. They're both 1v1, so your chances in both against an identical opponent should be 50/50 in either - but it takes a lot more effort to play Chess due to the number of options you have to consider.

Not that "high effort" is automatically better, by any means. The effort should follow logically from the task demanded. When it gets to Dota and people start defending the shitty UI and nonsense like orb threat management just because it "makes the game harder", you've got a problem.
>>
>>341644704
The problem with your analogy is there is only 3 choices, and there is no way to make a choice based on available information. So there is zero skill involved.

In a 3d videogame, every button you have is a choice, and every frame is when you make a choice. So a single match would have millions or billions of choices presented to a player. There is no such thing as 3d real time game with "a few choices" for a player to make.
>>
>>341648209
You dipshit, of course there are games with limited tactical choices. Most of the "choices" you're talking about are thorooughly insignificant.
>>
>>341644704
>the skill cap of rock paper scissors is arbitrarily high because it involves complete brain simulation of your opponent

If we consider feats of magic to be possible routes for players, and we consider those feats to be of infinite difficulty to achieve, then yes, rock paper scissors has an arbitrarily high skill cap. As do all other multiplayer games throughout history and in the infinite future.

Did you have a total mental breakdown? What happened in your mind to cause you to start out with this sentence?
>>
>>341648389
Yes, but executing those tactical choices isn't always the same due to the fact that you wont be hitting the exact same buttons at exactly the same time as your previous times. You could be off in your aim, positioning, or simply timing, resulting in a completely different outcome.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.