[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God of War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2
File: 1466062656620.webm (3 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
1466062656620.webm
3 MB, 700x394
Why did they abandon this great combat for the Ryse clone cinematic combat of the reboot?
>>
Cinematic sells.
>>
People don't want to spend time learning a game but they still want to feel badass
>>
>>341609768
omg is dogger going to be okay? :(
>>
Ryse has more combat than this new piece of trash.
>>
>>341610374
>square square triangle throughout the whole fucking game
>learning
ok
>>
>>341609768
>great combat
laughingsluts.jpeg
>>
>>341610549
Opposed to what? X X X X X X through the game?
>>
>>341609768
>hits enemy over 100 times
>still need to qte to kill it

Thats why, 'cuz what 5 or 6 games into a series it NEEDS to change. It's like DMC series which i like. I see this huge combo video with like a million hits but it still doesn't die. It makes the character look weak, not the enemies strong.

A game like prototype got it right, you were strong as fuck and killed shit in a few hits so they sent the whole army after you. THATS what a god of war should be.
>>
>>341610739
it isnt but dont fucking pretend the original god of war games were any better
>>
>>341610941
But they were? Have you even played them? They were a good hack n slash.
>HUR DUR VIDEO GAME IS JUST INPUT
fuck off
>>
Meh, I just assume what they showed at e3 was just the intro/tutorial. I wouldn't panic until they show us more
>>
>>341611024
>They were a good hack n slash
>literally qte: the game

kill yourself
>>
I liked God of War just fine as it was, but it seriously had gotten stale in the end. I didn't even play Ascension or any of the handheld games, and by the time the credits rolled on III, I knew I'd had my fill. I do think it was a smart move to use the opportunity to shake up the formula for a new start to the series.

But I'm not gonna swallow the line that every other news outlet is feeding us and praise the new God of War for trying something new, because they're not doing fucking anything new. They're copying the games that sold the most for them a few years ago, and awkwardly shoving in a poor attempt at replicating Dark Souls combat due to that series' popularity. It's blatant pandering, and until we get a better idea of what the combat's gonna be like, I'm not interested in the least.
>>
>>341610549
God of War is honestly very similar to NG in many ways. On the highest difficulty, you can't mash, and if it had a mode where enemies did as much damage as they do in MNM, people would say it's just as deep and challenging as NG.

A button masher or cinematic game would be something like Memehand or MGRR
>>
>>341609768
Because the sony audience loves cinematic shit
>>
>>341609768
>Ryse
You've never played Ryse, have you? Ryse is pretty much just DMC-lite

The new god of war combat is a mix between RE4 over the shoulder camera + dark souls
>>
>>341610904
You've clearly never played a GoW game then, because you can ignore the qtes on trash mobs.
>>
>>341611312
>God of War is honestly very similar to NG in many ways.
Alright even I think the gameplay of GoW is ok, but you're going too far.
>>
>>341611195
Try beating GoW1 on very hard difficulty
Try beating the challenge of the gods in all of the games in less than say 30 attempts
Try climbing out of hell in your first try

If you want depth, what weapons and spell damage you upgraded mattered a lot in how the endgame played out so there's no wonder they took an RPG turn with this one.

But yeah fuck off faggot, I'd say GoW on hard is better balanced than the DMC series as a whole, since you can't just do infinite cancels or cheese with devil trigger, you actually have to play out the scenarios the way they're supposed to.
kys
>>
This reboot is the first time I've become interested in a GOW game.

I fucking hated how his krato's attacks basically dos no damage and you had to mash the same fucking strings on every single mob a million times just to kill them

This new GOW gameplay looks 10000 better
>>
>>341611418
I have hence my issues with the thing. But who give a shit when if you do fuck it up they get there health back, which is annoying on harder modes, and the bonus for doing so is much better than just mashing [ ] on them. But you still need to smack a bith a ton of times to kill it even most of the smaller fucks so it's a moot point anyway.
>>
>>341610904
It's not hard to kill big QTE enemies without doing the QTEs, what's hard is pulling off that kind of offense while managing to dodge their attacks since you can't just juggle them like DMC
Or in some cases staying alive long enough to kill them without doing the QTE which is why the QTEs feal kind of great and rewarding it's a nice dumb cheat but unless you're really good it's also the most effective weapon you have
>>
>>341611670
Obviously God of War doesn't have quite as much depth, but mechanically GoW is much more similar to NG than say MGRR or DMC or Godhand or whatever.
>>
>>341611997
Except that holding block keeps you safe from most of the enemies. Even the satyrs cant do shit to you if you just turtle it up
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 250x201) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 250x201
>people call GoW casual
>when it's literally just a modern day beat em up game akin to double dragon
>same people will praise LE CLASSIC INDIE BEAT EM UPS
>not only that but I can strictly remember multiple instances in each game that were actually hard as fuck and punished you for being a shitter
>GoW IS CASUAL GUYS XD

I know that feel OP, I hate these faggots with a passion
>>
You could see the uncharted influences even in GOW ascension, which sucked. Why are game devs too proud to just accept that video games are glorified toys and get on with it. We don't need gameplay being replaced by story when it's all tired, cliche shit that has been done a hundred times before.
>>
>>341610941
I hate God of War. It was always simplified trash. But at least it was trying really hard to be like the things it was emulating.

Living in a future where everything that happens happened, I can safely say my intense hate for the God of War battle system is misguided. It's not THAT bad. To be fair to it, it's at least as good as Onimusha, and probably better than that.

The things that copied it however all are even worse trash. And now it's going to be The Last of Us melee system or fucking Ryse and everybody likes it because the fans of the original are shitters who don't care about and never cared about good gameplay and just wanted to see shitty flashy kills or whatever.
>>
Everyone hated ascension for some reason so they decided to change it up and now everyone hates this new style
>>
>>341613186
Considering you can't even place GoW in the right genre, your opinion is pretty worthless.
>>
GoW was a mediocre hack and slash and not very good all around. Would never replay it because of how boring it truly is.
>>
>>341609768
New target audience; they've already made enough cash from oldfags.
>>
>>341613243
I think the biggest thing that Devs can't seem to comprehend that you don't need to fucking neuter the gameplay and make it some shallow, cinematic shit just to have a decent story with decent writing.
>>
>>341612505
Not him but no.

GoW is hack and slash.

NG is cuhrazy.
>>
>>341613761
"cuhrazy" is a focus on repetitive combo recital and juggling with braindead enemies, and less focus on reflexes and evasion.

Ninja Gaiden is not "cuhrazy" (seriously hate that term)
>>
>>341609768
>square square square hold square square triangle square square hold square
>>
>>341613914
Cuhrazy indicates an almost infinite high skill roof not what you're talking about.
>>
>God of War
>Great combat

Pick 1
>>
>>341609768
It's because Sony realized the majority of PS4 owners and nu gamers don't want anything other than cinematic experiences.

So they decided to give every new game the "TLoU treatment" as I'd like to call it.

And here is the result.

Hope you enjoy movies.
>>
>>341613186
>akin to double dragon
dumb catposter. gow is very forgiving, you can literally mash square all game and miss the qtes, no problem.
>>
>>341614052
cuhrazy is about the gameplay style. Almost any game can have an extremely high skill ceiling, while having poor game design or being a simple game mechanically, and it is irrelevant to the actual difficulty or depth of the game, because human skill is nothing compared to what is possible by machine. A game where you have to press a button 5000 times a second would be cuhrazy by that definition.

cuhrazy is generally about combo recital, slower player and enemy speed, less focus on movement and evasion, can cancel out of moves, enemies tend to be less aggressive and borderline braindead, and is about being style and performance over survival.

Ninja Gaiden is action, along with God of War. They're not that "cuhrazy" nonsense
>>
>>341614162
Very entertaining and better combat than 90% of most games
Better story and setting than any of the DMCs, perhaps 3 being arguable.
Cool puzzles and upgrade system and secrets.

But no
>MUH DMC THIS GAME IS FOR BABBIES LMAOOO
You guys are the real retards honestly, it's like listening to people on /mu/ explain how their appreciation of music is superior to others it's just the most self congratulatory faggiest fucking shit

I hope you try to realize how fucking dumb you are any day now.
>>
>>341614890
God of War on the highest difficulty is definitely harder than double dragon, especially the challenges. I doubt you've even beat it on the highest difficulty and are just a shitposter though, so you can just go ahead and ignore this.
>>
>>341610549
Obviously you have never played the games. Yeah they don't pretend to be le hardcore and you can probably beat then game by smashing basic combos and good dodge reflects but they were some pretty interesting combos in the GoW games. At least they were fun for what they were. The new one looks like rude combat + cinematic experience. Fuck that dude. I want gow back with fun fast gameplay and Aphrodite's titties.
>>
>>341611085
In the intro of GOW 3 you fought a horse of enemies followed by a collosal spider. We've degreased anon. I hope it's good but have no hope.
>>
>>341612505
I'll give you MGRR. But DMC? Only if you are talking about DmC. In terms of depth God of War is to DMC(3&4) as DMC (3&4) are to NG.
>>
>>341614162
Exactly what Sony did to make this sequel.
>>
god of war always just simplified and copied popular styles of games
>>
PRESS SQUARE TO AWESOME! YEAH! 180 HITS, FATAL BRUTALITY WATCH THIS 3 SECS LONG CANNED ANIMATION AGAIN!
>>
>>341616069
>>341615106

>>341612986
You have a recovery window after every attack, a lot of your attacks don't stunlock, and if you do turtle up like that you'll get destroyed the second you let go of L1
Blocking in God of War can be less forgiving than instakills with royal guard imo. But the point is, there's no way to cheese the system in GoW
>>
>>341611312
>>A button masher or cinematic game would be something like Memehand or MGRR
Now you are doing the exact same thing people do with GoW: "I didn't bother learning how to play the game, that must mean it's trash".
>>
>>341616510
Sorry to hear you missed out anon
>>341616807
this
>>
>>341609768
You're not going to play as old man Kratos in the new game.

He's clearly going to die in the beginning and his son will take over from there--most likely after a time skip.

This means it could speed up since you're no longer playing as an old man.
>>
>>341617223
I don't know why none of you have read the IGN article but it confirmed all of our worst fears already

Essentially
>Whole game is with Kratos and kid
>Cringeworthy cinematics like that intro throughout
>The game is literally about raising the kid and teaching him shit
>Kratos will propably die at the end of the game the sequel will be about the kid

It is.. Literally TLOU2. I was optimistic as well but that IGN article was the final drop.
>>
>>341616510
that only works against light enemies, heavier enemies all pretty much have various forms of super-armor, and you have to juggle them if you want to keep them helpless, and the enemies aren't gonna wait around while you do that.
And against the large size enemies, they can't be juggled or flinched, and they typically can't be blocked too.
>>
>>341609768
Wow, I wasn't aware you could do things like this in GoW.
I thought I was pretty decent, but this makes me look like a god damn casual.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.