[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Miss me yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16
File: 4738793682548726953222.png (214 KB, 250x353) Image search: [Google]
4738793682548726953222.png
214 KB, 250x353
Miss me yet?
>>
>>341608582
No, you are the worst Zelda, a total blight on the series, and you always will be.
>>
File: 1465953910152.png (90 KB, 391x395) Image search: [Google]
1465953910152.png
90 KB, 391x395
Hell no keep that horrible motion control shit away from me.
>>
Meh.
>>
>parkour
>an actual inventory system
>crafting
It's good to know that they're taking the parts of this game that weren't shit and improving upon them.
>>
It had better dungeons than TP or WW
>>
>>341608582
Breath of the Wild can be an unoriginal mix of 8 years of gaming tendencies but at least has potential to be good.

Skyward Sword is a turd since conception.
>>
>>341608582
Nope, Breath of the Wild looks pretty good so far, and unlike Skyward Sword I can control it like an actual video game.
>>
Only Nintendo could take combat as basic as Zeldas and dumb it down even further by making every enemy into a Simon says puzzle
>>
>>341608582
>Skyward Sword tries to drastically re-imagine Zelda
>sucks shit, fails
>Nintendo releases remasters of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess
>massive sales
>"What should we learn from this pattern?"
>"Dunno lol. Let's make a Skyrim game with Minecraft mechanics and a Zelda coat of paint wwwwwwww"
>>
>>341608582
Not at all. Why?
>>
File: wiiulinkartcloak.jpg (34 KB, 588x849) Image search: [Google]
wiiulinkartcloak.jpg
34 KB, 588x849
>>341608582
Speaking as someone who loved Skyward Sword, I honestly believe BotW is going to be the game that breaks the cycle. It takes every mechanic from every previous Zelda, and addresses every criticism and takes them to their logical extreme. It's basically the Ultimate Zelda.
>>
>>341611481
We haven't seen the dungeons yet though. Everybody's getting bamboozled by the open world hype when they haven't shown what the meat and potatoes are going to look like.
>>
>>341608582
Nope, Breath of the Wild looks infinitely better in every way.
>>
File: ,.nhigu.jpg (80 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
,.nhigu.jpg
80 KB, 800x700
>>341611259
You made this sound like a bad thing. No tutorials, no long intro. Just straight into the world burning shit to the ground.
>>
>>341612101
I think at some point they said there's over 100 of the shrines, so I imagine that they're all short three-room puzzles like the ones we've seen.
>>
>>341612101
>We haven't seen the dungeons yet though
We saw the mini dungeons and they were all good, even though short and easy. But probably the mini dungeons outside the Plateau are more diffucult.
We have yet to see big main dungeons, yes.
>>
>>341612363
>You make this sound like a bad thing
That Zelda is dead and now it's a mish-mash of features that were new and innovative a decade ago?
>>
Only Zelda game I ever traded in.
>>
>>341612319
Yeah just what we need. Another generic open world hack and slash. At least SS was original, and took the series to new places. BotW just looks some generic ARPG with a Zelda skin.

>>341611481
What cycle?
>>
>>341608582
Nope, I'm watch a few best friends play it right now ;)
>>
Keep your waggling aids away from me you terrible abomination.

Not even shiggy could play you.
>>
File: 1354561366052.png (177 KB, 1300x1030) Image search: [Google]
1354561366052.png
177 KB, 1300x1030
>>341610348
SS temples were shit. One is just the same temple revisited and it was a temple with 5 rooms
>>
>>341612101
The dungeons are the meat, but the overworld is the potatoes. I couldn't imagine a Zelda game without a strong overworld. And this new game is showing a lot of potential to be the strongest overworld yet. Already, I'm sold. The dungeons can be shit, but they already got me. I still want the dungeons to be good, but they're not a deal-breaker.
>>
Fuck no. Fuck you, and fuck Majora's Mask.
>>
File: 1362718738639.png (1 MB, 950x573) Image search: [Google]
1362718738639.png
1 MB, 950x573
>>341611259
>He wants more Aonuma style games
>>
>>341608582
i always liked SS tho. criminality underrated game
>>
>>341608582

Zelda cycle be damned, this game really did suck shit
>>
>>341612720

>At least SS was original, and took the series to new places.

Other than the motion controls it was the most derivative entry yet though, even the motion controls don't add much besides turning every enemy into a basic simon says puzzle.
>>
>>341612934
Breath of the Wild is Aonuma styled. He admitted he had a change of heart over getting lost.
>>
>>341612582
>That Zelda is dead and now it's a mish-mash of features that were new and innovative a decade ago?

what are you implying? That Zelda cant take good things and features from other games? You would rather another experimental piece of shit rather than a game filled with gameplay mechanics we know work and are fun?
>>
>>341611481
I wouldn't be surprised if BotW is more like SS than we've been led to believe. There's been some speculation that you can't get off the plateau without completing some story related nonsense.
Classic 3D zelda pigeonholing might just be well and alive, this time around the pigeonholes are just MASSIVE
>>
>>341608582
Never. Easily the worst Zelda game. I will admire it for what it attempted and the unique ideas it had, but I will never praise it because it totally dropped the ball. I can't believe I even finished it.
>>
>>341613079
>no intro
>no story
>no companion
>no breadcrumb trails
Maybe it is Aonuma style. Aonuma style is just a game made for your children as opposed to be for your customers. Mayeb Aonuma's kids are grown up and good at games and told him that Zelda was easy shit
>>
>>341610348
easily had the best dungeons in the series, hands down
>>
>>341612934
but he's doing the wild too. Hell he's even trying new shit instead of the same old.
>>
>>341612860
Zelda's 3D overworlds have been historically shit tier though. People liked wasting hours doing nothing in hyrule field or the great sea? People didn't release a sigh of relief when midna allowed the player to teleport across TP's barren wasteland? People actually enjoy skyward sword's cloudy clusterfuck extravaganza?

You are being memed on by open world marketing and hype, plain and simple. After you light your 10th forest fire and chop your 5th tree, you're gunna wanna actually play the game.
>>
>>341613150
Aonuma already said you can head straight to the final boss if you wanted to and ignore the story completely...not recommended of course but the option is there.
>>
File: 1415044336601.png (109 KB, 274x231) Image search: [Google]
1415044336601.png
109 KB, 274x231
>>341613092
>we know work and are fun
Oh, you're one of those people that actually enjoys Bethesda games and Minecraft.

How disgusting.
>>
I have still got a lot of concerns with the seemingly blind import of every open-world mechanic they could find, and fuck no.
>>
Skyward sword is my favorite game of all time and Im not even meming. The art style, combat and enviorments are that great. It has some flaws like the sky overworld being a bit dull, but overall I think its excellent.
>>
>>341612720
>What cycle?

The Zelda Cycle

>new zelda comes out
>universally hated
>previous game now heralded as a great game

It started with Majora's Mask and will finally be broken. But not because BotW is good, but because SS was so bad no one could ever warm up to it.
>>
File: 1398892530869.gif (3 MB, 384x239) Image search: [Google]
1398892530869.gif
3 MB, 384x239
>>341613556
I guess. I also had fun with mgsv despite my heart being broken from the lack of conclusion.
>>
>>341614053
The Zelda cycle is just incremental drop in game quality. MM was not as good as OoT. WW was not as good as MM. TP was not as good as WW. SS not as good as TP.

All BotW has to do is be a good game and the cycle will have been broken. We're going on 12 years of bad Zelda games
>>
>>341614053
Yeah no amount of time will make me suddenly love SS without a motioncontrol less remake and a trim down of the fetch quests.
>>
>>341612860
>I couldn't imagine a Zelda game without a strong overworld.

Skyward Sword. The empty sky was basically a glorified level select screen that sent you to segmented outdoor hallways.
>>
>>341613547
I liked entering Deku's Swamp, finding out the boat rid operator is missing, trying to cross the poisoned waters myself and failing, finding the monkey that leads me to the injured witch, telling her sister she needs help, getting the bottle and helping the wtich, who happens to be the boat ride operator, riding the boat to the deku palace, meeting the king and the captured monkey, trying to find an alternate way inside the palace and infiltrating, getting the song of awakening, heading up to woodfall and fighting those bugs on the narrow bridges above the poison, awakening the the dungeon, then after completing the dungeon, finding the deku princess and taking her back to her father, saving the monkey, going on the race with the deku butler, using the pig mask to find truffles to give to the potion shop keeper, and exploring the now clean waters, going into the skulltula house, breaking the curse and getting the mask of time, taking that to Romani's ranch and cheating the dog races.

Now... Let's cut all that out, and only leave the dungeon behind. The entire area is scrapped for Woodfall dungeon... Do you play this game? Fuck no.
>>
>>341614313
Yep, I was disappointed by SS's overworld. But at least the overworld the game offered had enough substance to flesh out the game. I couldn't imagine if they cut out the overworld, and only left the dungeon behind. That would be no fun. Or saw, if they replaced the overwolrd with another dungeon, that would be bullshit too. I at least would like the illusion of exploration. Exploration is such an integral part of Zelda. You can't get by on dungeons alone.
>>
>>341614535
Notice that I never mentioned MM's overworld, its a complete exception. Everything in that game's overworld is perfectly condensed, and alot of the paths to the dungeons feel like dungeons in and of itself.
>>
>>341611259
>massive sales
maybe you should look at TPhd's sales, they're awful
>>
>>341614535
>>341613547
BTW, this is something puzzlefags don't understand: when actions feel good, you don't get board of them. No one calls the jumping in Mario repetitive. No one says,
>"After you jump on a few dozen goombas, you're going to want to get to play the actual game."
The action feels good, so you want to do it. Combined with the variety of geography, enemy placements, and trial and error, performing these actions will not get tired.

>>341615148
I could start naming things from Twilight Princess as well. If they made an all-dungeon Zelda. Where Link went directly from the hub to the dungeon, it would be shit.
>>
>>341608582
Yes and no. Yes because you are actually quite good and no because I just finished you a few weeks ago.
>>
File: Archduke Wurst of Gmunden.jpg (1 MB, 2955x2195) Image search: [Google]
Archduke Wurst of Gmunden.jpg
1 MB, 2955x2195
>>341608582

No, SS and TP can fuck right off.
>>
>>341615293
>TPhd
That came out?
>>
File: wolf link!.webm (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
wolf link!.webm
2 MB, 480x270
>>341615868
Yeah it did
>>
>>341616038
They must have fucked up marketing badly then. How long ago did this happen?
>>
>>341615479
>No one says, "After you jump on a few dozen goombas, you're going to want to get to play the actual game."

Probably because Mario games are about sequences of highly structured challenges rather than jumping on goombas.
>>
>>341608582

When they remake the game without motion controls I'll stop hating it.
>>
>>341615479
>After you jump on a few dozen goombas, you're going to want to get to play the actual game
Weird analogy but even then it's still true, you can only goof off for so much bouncing on gombas in mario 64 before you realize its time to get some stars.

>I could start naming things from Twilight Princess as well.
Could you really? Because I would've rather had the first three temples in TP chaingunned into my face rather then going through tutorials, wolf sections, and that backtracking nonsense. Lategame TP was better in this regard, but I still would've gladly gotten rid of shit like that dominion rod quest.
>>
>>341610348
All the dungeons sucked except for one and that was only due to mechanics and not the dungeon itself. TP was a muuuuch better game and TP was average.
>>
>>341610348
The factory temple where you had to use time mechanic to progress was quit fun to do.
>>
>>341616598
>>341616830
By way of getting a star/goalpost in Mario, you end up repeating the same actions again and again. By way of crossing Hyrule field, you end up repeating the same actions again and again.
For example, no one has one bad thing to say about the Goron's rolling action. You've probably used it a lot just getting from point A to point B, with no real challenge. But the action is so fun, that you can simply enjoy rolling around the field. Same can be said with Zora swimming.(in the original MM) The action feels so good, that traversing the water from point to point feels great.

>Could you really? Because I would've rather had the first three temples in TP chaingunned into my face
I would have liked a better start to TP. but the wolf segments are perfect for proving my point. What action as a wolf feels good? Maybe the first time you do the charing attack? But once you realize just how automated it is, it loses it's appeal quickly. The beginning of TP is a chore, because ACTION as the wolf is a chore.
>>
>>341612363
I love this image.

Can't wait for Katie Dietriech making 7 weeks of comic about her wankery on this game.
>>
>>341616786
Also remove Fi and unlock all areas from the beginning. My as well drop skyloft in the middle of the map and ditch the sky, too.
>>
>>341611259
>Dunno lol. People have always thought zelda became too linear and strayed to far from what it was. let's take the original LOZ on NES and expand its features to its logical next step.

All these "skyrim" features sure seem to march Miyamoto's original vision and conception of Zelda that spawned from him hiking in the boy scouts when he was young. I've been asking for these features in a zelda game since before they were overused in other games. So I'm 1000% fine with it.
>>
>>341608582
Fuck no.
>>
>>341617857
>By way of getting a star/goalpost in Mario, you end up repeating the same actions again and again.
Many games are about moving and attacking. It's the way the structure of the game combines them into meaningful compound actions that is important. A Mario course with just one type of jump over and over, or just Goombas, would be dull and repetitive, because it actually WOULD have repetitive actions.

>But the action is so fun, that you can simply enjoy rolling around the field.
This is literally, EXACTLY the thing you're saying that stomping Goombas isn't. Rolling around is fun for a few minutes... and then it isn't and you want something to actually do.
>>
>>341617662
Yeah and it was fucking long as shit.. Took me 2 hours just to complete.
>>
>>341608582
no and in fact i wish you never existed
>>
I liked it from the first time I played it
>>
>>341608582
Will always be the retarded child of the series. Even with Zelda II.
>>
What was the point of this thread? The stripped-down demo for zelda u looks miles better than squidward sword garbage
>>
>>341610348
What are you talking about? TP's dungeons shit on most of SS's dungeons except for the factory and the ship (which are easily some of the best in the series).
>>
File: ZeldaOracleOf.jpg (112 KB, 586x330) Image search: [Google]
ZeldaOracleOf.jpg
112 KB, 586x330
>>341620927
Best Zelda games aren't even main story or main console ones.
>>
>>341612363
jesus, look at those artifacts
>>
What's so bad about SS? Still haven't played it
>>
I liked it
>>
File: collectible_big.jpg (229 KB, 811x456) Image search: [Google]
collectible_big.jpg
229 KB, 811x456
>>341622139
It's like the image is from 1999 or something.
That level of artifacts belongs in pre 2000.

>>341622326
Download Dolphin and SS and get yourself a Wii controller and try it yourself.

I liked it since it's the first Zelda game since OoT for me.
One annoying part is that everytime to turn the game on it prompts every thing you pick up once.
but it's only once thank god.
>>
>>341622326
take your least favorite zelda game, now take out everything even remotely good about that game, thats what skyward sword is
>>
>>341620282
>A Mario course with just one type of jump over and over, or just Goombas, would be dull and repetitive, because it actually WOULD have repetitive actions.
True, but also untrue. Depends on the context. For example, people can replay a level in Mario 3 again and again, even though they've already performed those actions before, they still replay the stage to the point where it becomes muscle memory. They don't even have to think about it anymore. In that sense, the action is not dull, despite it being repetitive.
I don't think it's fair to assume that just because a world is open that every action will be a cookie cutter action. With the variance of the terrain, enemy placement, enemy types, and environmental element s such as wind snow fog and rain, I can't imagine how cutting down a tree in one location will be the same as cutting down a tree in another location.

I saw someone cut a tree down in the demo, it falls perfectly across the gap, and he walks across to the other side. Then I saw another moron on the same tree, misjudge the angle, he tried to cross the tree, but it rolled and fell into the abyss. When he spawned back on ground, the tree remained cut, and he had to use the one next to it, in order to cross. This time, he almost fucked it up by chopping the tree he was standing on, breaking it, just as he made it to the other side. So you see, even the physics bring a new dynamic to an identical setup. And there could be a million setups for chopping trees.

Rolling around is fun for a few minutes... and then it isn't and you want something to actually do.
What do you mean "do"? I think you're confusing action with objective. Sure, having an objective is nice. But how I get to the objective is more important to me. Am I simply walking to the next designated point? Or, am I rolling there as a badass spike ball, getting lift off of ramps.
>>
>>341622326
Extreme handholding
Empty feeling sky hub

Some people don't like the stealth sections
>>
>>341609801
Fuck off Zelda II
>>
>>341622839
at least zelda 2 is challenging
>>
>>341608582
still shitty
>>
>>341622326
It's a game focused on puzzles that makes nearly every puzzle either a) unnecessary b) a chore to get through or c) both a and b
>>
the motion controls are amazing. only a vocal minority didn't like them because they suck at physical movement for some reason. I guess all of you know at least one person among your friends who's just really bad at sports because he just a motion spastic, lacking the hand eye or eye foot coordination to successfully execute basic sport movements.

there has been a survey among people who played the legend of zelda and THE VAST MAJORITY of them LIKED the motion controls.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/zelda-fan-survey-2014-results-more-older-than-younger-fans-interesting-fan
>>
File: 1367517103693.gif (2 MB, 450x386) Image search: [Google]
1367517103693.gif
2 MB, 450x386
>>341608582
Hell no. Sometimes I actively wish you had never existed to begin with, you were the only Zelda game that I had to force myself to finish.
>>
>>341622839
Zelda II is grossly unappreciated.
>No tutorial, instantly go into action.
>Large map, with a bunch of hidden areas.
>Multiple bustling towns.
>Free jumping ability.
>High action combat that relied on reaction timing and precision.
>Various sword moves.
>Various magic abilities, including the ability to transform into a fairy.
>Maze like dungeons.
>High difficulty.
Honestly, if they remade Zelda 2 with modern day conventions, it would be loved by all Zelda fans. In fact the new game is essentially that.
>>
>>341623653
I had a lot of problems with Skyward Sword, and I'll admit that the motion control scheme certainly wasn't one of them.

Still easily the worst game in the series though so who cares?
>>
File: 1450629126559.jpg (24 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1450629126559.jpg
24 KB, 350x350
I really hated Skyward Sword's version of Zelda
Hated the mandatory motion controls
WORST COMPANION IN THE SERIES
Every enemy encounter is a simon says puzzle
Groose
Groose's theme
Link was a retard

I honestly wanna forget it exists. Twilight Princess sold more, Wind Waker sold more.

Tells you everything you need to know about Skyward Shit.
>>
File: 1460140008656.jpg (131 KB, 525x809) Image search: [Google]
1460140008656.jpg
131 KB, 525x809
>>341618551
>All these "skyrim" features sure seem to march Miyamoto's original vision and conception of Zelda that spawned from him hiking in the boy scouts when he was young.

You say that as if it means something.
>>
>>341622673
>For example, people can replay a level in Mario 3 again and again, even though they've already performed those actions before, they still replay the stage to the point where it becomes muscle memory.
Do they? Speedrunners do, but they're both a minority and doing it in service of a larger goal rather than just because they love doing World 4-5 that darn much. I think that outside of that sort of arena, people would probably think a Mario 3 with only World 4-5 over and over again was a lot duller than the normal version, and if you asked why they'd probably mention repetitiveness.

>So you see, even the physics bring a new dynamic to an identical setup. And there could be a million setups for chopping trees.
Surely this is saying "actually, there WILL be lots of variety in challenges", not "it doesn't matter so long as the action feels good"?

>I think you're confusing action with objective.
Actions not in service of an objective get old quickly - which is why most people don't play World 4-5 over and over, and those who do do so because they want to get through it even faster, not just for its own sake.

>Am I simply walking to the next designated point? Or, am I rolling there as a badass spike ball, getting lift off of ramps.
Rolling offers more potential for compound actions like leaping gaps, bouncing off things and getting magic jars (and doing them well can be rewarding as you get there faster), but still no-one would just be rolling around for no reason for more than a few minutes.
>>
>>341624951
Grape comback there. Real constructive.
>>
>>341626742
Were objectives ever to be questioned in a Zelda game? Did you think that just because the world was open, that somehow that makes objectives vanish. I was speaking under the assumption that an objective was there. Even if it's a minor objective such as "reach the goalpost". Or "defeat your opponent". In sandbox games, you can even make your own objectives, "I wonder what would happen if I....".

The point is this, when you play as wolf link, you have an objective, but the action sucks, so no one likes the wolf segments. You fight the same enemies, perform the same limited moves, and they all feel so automated. Even if you do technically have control, the timing of the enemies and your actions feel like they're measured perfectly so it feels like the game is doing everything for you.
Conversely, look at what the new game is doing. You can chop down a tree in any direction. Push them, roll them, balance atop of them while they're rolling, hit enemies with them, climb them, burn them?(haven't seen a tree burn yet, but maybe) pick them up and move them. the action feels dynamic. The action feels good. So when you're travelling from shrine to shrine, you can enjoy some logging action in the mean time. Hell, maybe there will be a log puzzle or two.
>>
File: 1465925705715.jpg (2 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
1465925705715.jpg
2 MB, 1936x2592
>>341614063
It is written only Link can defeat Ganon
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.