[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT:Underutilized and Underrated engines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: serious_sam_logo-t2.jpg (25 KB, 510x300) Image search: [Google]
serious_sam_logo-t2.jpg
25 KB, 510x300
I'll start, The serious engine 3/3.5/4

I still wonder how almost nobody uses it.
>>
Fox Engine, RIP.

Also MT Framework. Damn Japs are keeping all the good stuff for themselves.
>>
File: Kojima.jpg (123 KB, 1391x844) Image search: [Google]
Kojima.jpg
123 KB, 1391x844
>>
not hard to understand why people don't use serious engine

it's uglier and harder to use than Unity / UE4
>>
>>341584958
Because it isn't rammed down the industry's throat like other engines.
>>
File: gato triste.jpg (37 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
gato triste.jpg
37 KB, 500x375
>>341584958
Man I feel kinda bad for Croteam.

I mean they make this amazing engine on a budget that holds up incredibly well even on toaster, they even ship an editor with the Serious Sam games but they don't get a lot of attention.

In a way they're like the Croatian idtech
>>
>>341585051
IIRC the 4th iteration can be used even on tablets and run decently.
>>
>>341585991
meant for >>341585710
>>
>>341586059
Wait, what is the Serious Engine 4 used in? Talos?
>>
>>341585710
>One of the 3D modelers told my pops that they are gonna remake it and make it even better then use it on all of their games. Since the Talos principle was a success they're hoping that the next instalments will make people use it.

But in my opinion that still won't happen, never seen puzzle fans creating their own shit.
And serious sam, well it's serious sam. I am surprised people don't make their own maps but when you look at it there's not much they can do. It's just run arund and shoot a gazillion enemies, so maybe people don't feel like it.
They should make some sort of RPG (better yet open world) so it picks up, like the TES games did. But I didn't get the vibe that they're interested in RPG's at all.
>>
>>341586164
Yeah

The HD remakes are 3

Serious sam 3 is on 3.5

Talos is on 4
>>341586208
It's just run arund and shoot a gazillion enemies

SS had a fairly active multiplayer community and it was a good arena shooter imho.
>>
>>341586208
Serious Engine for RPGs? There could be potential
>>
>>341586391
>SS had a fairly active multiplayer community and it was a good arena shooter imho.
I agree, but these days there are better ones desu
Not to mention the newer generations are way too lazy to make their own shit. They'd rather just jump from game to game
>>
>>341586460
ikr
But as I said, I don't think they're interested in that. Besides, the studio is fairly small, it will take them a lot of time to bring an rpg to talos/SS levels of polish
>>
>>341584958
Croatian documentation probably
>>
>>341585051
MT Framework is made by Capcom right? What's their best games from it?
>>
>>341587558
DMC4 (regular, not SE)
That game will run on anything
>>
>>341587558
everything from 2005
>>
im playing ss3 right now and im having a blast
runs smooth as butter, looks pretty good for a 5 year old game, and it can handle dozens of enemies and hundreds of projectiles on the screen at the same time without any performance drops. that's pretty damn impressive - it's massively superior to other first person games from that time (skyrim and modern warfare 2 come to mind)
>>
>next SS game is VR
>a game that its movement heavy is getting a VR sequel

Why
>>
>>341589739
they're mainly working on SS4 and Talos2. SSVR is a side project they do because they are interested in experimenting with new technology.
>>
Source engine, really underrated. Based Titanfall 1 and 2
>>
>>341591376
It really is, spawned a couple of great mods too, Underhell comes to mind
>>
>>341586208
>never seen puzzle fans creating their own shit
Take a look at DROD. Great game, fantastic community
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.