[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so fucking impossible to create another mega man game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 21
File: mega-man9-copy.jpg (91 KB, 667x694) Image search: [Google]
mega-man9-copy.jpg
91 KB, 667x694
Why is it so fucking impossible to create another mega man game?

They dont have licence? Capcom hates money? Where da fuq is a new game?
>>
Capcom just doesn't like Megaman.
Either let him die, or sell him to Nintendo, they at least care about him.
>>
File: images.jpg (44 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
44 KB, 512x288
>>341519510
Here's the new game.
>>
>>341519510
Do you know how hard is having ideas for 8 robot masters, new gimmicks and different Wily bosses, levels and music?
>>
>>341519510
I just can't play the classic series. Lack of dashing and wall-climbing really throws me off
>>
File: donto.jpg (94 KB, 1280x951) Image search: [Google]
donto.jpg
94 KB, 1280x951
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt4DIs4vXEw

They need money
>>
>>341520232
>Lack of dashing
Get Megaman & Bass and 10 and pick Bass, you can dash with him.
>>
>>341519960
Surely they haven't done something like Plate Man, right
>>
>>341519635
>Either let him die, or sell him to Nintendo
Same thing
>>
>>341519510
There's fucking 10 of them.
>>
Classic Mega Man was a shit series and did not aged well at all.
>>
>>341520690
wtf?
>>
File: 004.jpg (72 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
72 KB, 600x450
Mega Man doesn't sell as well as you think.

As a series? It definitely does. Each individual installment doesn't, however, only MM2 is in Capcom's best sellers. Go look it up if you don't believe me. I would say it's just not financially sound for Capcom to do it right now, but MN9 did get $4 million and it's not even out yet, so maybe it would be at this point.

However, you can't say that would be true of all of the other Mega Man (i.e., non-Classic) series. Not enough people participated in the devroom, MML3 was cancelled because of that, and at the time the 3DS was struggling; far more people care about the classic series than X; Zero is finished; BN and SF are finished; ZXA didn't sell well.
>>
Capcom has been in retard mode for the past few years.
>>
>>341519510
Mega Man 10 was a disappointment, that's enough of them. Let it die already.
>>
>>341519510
Fangames
I'd contribute.
Not a big mega man fan but the music is elder god tier
>>
Mega Man was always 2 hard for people.
If only they could find a way to reach out to the dark souls autists.
>>
>>341520931
but there is a huge vacuum within market for good games. Market is over-saturated with shitty 2d indie rip offs of megaman.... so you dont need to be rocket scientist to figure it out how to create another game...ride on nostalgia and sell it to old and gather new fans.
>>
>>341521675
Capcom's probably using the Legacy Collection to gauge interest, from what I gather it hasn't sold too well (although it's not a bomb) similar to Darkstalkers Resurrection. Is that necessarily the best way to gauge interest, no, but that's probably what they're doing.
>>
>>341520931

MN9 got 4 gorillions due to hype of a product that didn't begin development yet. If they actually had a build that looked closer to the final game, then it would've gotten much less.
>>
>>341522254
is 4 mills enough for creating a good game? i know you can create a good game with shit like rpgmaker 3 but high end hype shit? no way
>>
i would even settle for another 8-bit style MM game. i just want some new fuckin Megaman to play.
>>
>>341522983
Make it. Enlist a team of champions and go for it.
>>
>>341519510
I'm legitimately curious but how many fucking megaman games do you need before you'll stop complaining? You have, what, 10 classic megaman games? 7 zero games? 8 x games? probably a dozen other spinoffs? How many more until you can be satisfied?
>>
>>341520931
>Not enough people participated in the devroom, MML3 was cancelled because of that
thats bullshit and you know it.

Capcom specifically told people they didnt need to participate, and yet counted heads anyway.

and all of that is no reason to not release the demo, which was a PAID demo, (IOW, would have made them some money anyway) was already done, and ready for release, and was supposedly the REAL interest gauge.

this is when Inafune left and they took advantage to can every single one of his projects out of spite for badmouthing the Japanese game industry.

say what you will about Inafune himself, but Capcom cancelled the legends 3 DEMO out of spite and spite alone.
>>
>>341522983

Go play one of the fifty fan games or clones then.
>>
File: 2876626-megaman.jpg (38 KB, 800x611) Image search: [Google]
2876626-megaman.jpg
38 KB, 800x611
Did someone say new game?
>>
>>341523792
>How many more until you can be satisfied?
I just want a proper, GOOD 3D Megaman/Megaman X game. that's all i ask for. Classic never got a 3D game, X7 was shit, X8 was a sidescroller, (and not that great) and Command Mission was a goddamned turn based RPG. hardly the X series traditional formula or anything resembling it
>>
>>341520931
The first Legend of Zelda game was also the best selling, along with the first Mario game. They all came out around the same time as Mega Man 2.

What's your point?
>>
>Why is it so fucking impossible to create another mega man game?

1. it doesnt print money. Capcoms ets unrealistic goals and expects everything to sell bajillions of copies. They are part of the cancer that has created AAA gaming, because they constantly push for AAA sales

2. there is no talent left at Capcom that could make a great Megaman game. There is very little talent left at Capcom period. This was evidenced by X7 and X8, which were both in house, and yet made stupid decisions and were kind of shit. X Command Mission is the exception to the rule, but that didnt meet point #1, so that died anyway.

the only people even remotely capable of making Megaman games anymore are Inti Creates, made of ex-capcom employees, many who worked on the NES and SNES games. But they also dont want to pay inti to make anything groundbreaking, because of again, #1. they know it wont sell gangbusters, so the only thing they were willing to do was make NES nostalgiabait, because that's cheap to make and will sell loads because of nostalgia.

tldr, capcom are faggots
>>
>>341524578
it's just not the same anon ;-;
>>
File: 468680129.jpg (866 KB, 2124x1413) Image search: [Google]
468680129.jpg
866 KB, 2124x1413
>>341525192
> it doesnt print money.

how come shitty sonic games print money?
>>
>>341519960
Why not make a new battlenetwork?
>>
>>341525520
do they print the kind of money capcom wants things to? that would be a good reason why. Sega has lower expectations and doesnt expect every sonic game to sell like call of duty.

Also Sonic has the benefit of an extremely autistic fanbase and masochistic fans who will buy each game hoping it will be better
>>
File: MegaMan_BattleCards.jpg (569 KB, 770x1024) Image search: [Google]
MegaMan_BattleCards.jpg
569 KB, 770x1024
>>341525642
they did that. it sold "ok"
>>
>>341525192
to put this in perspective, Street Fighter 4 sold "below expectations".

they sold 1.4 Million units, and expected 2 Million.

in their eyes, that's probably a complete failure
>>
>we could either make a 2D platformer with meticulous level design, high quality music, sprites and level gimmicks or we could rehash monster hunter yet again using the same fucking PS2 models for another 5 million copies sold
gee I wonder why Capcom has been so shit the last 6 years
>>
>ywn play the Mega Man Maker expansion for Super Mario Maker
>in depth Man Creation
>options for Mega Man and Mega Man X design
>also patch included for SMM that allows ramps
>>
>>341521947
they're using an inferior game (compared to the original megaman collection that came out over a god damn decade ago) to gauge interest? Crapcoms stupidity knows no bounds
>>
>>341527131
Eh, porting the NES games is infinitely easier than doing those plus MM7 and MM8. It makes sense.
>>
>>341519960
There were outsourcing the character stuff to fans since Megaman 2. Only the music and stage design is really a thing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJRoRt155mA
>>
>>341519510
They don't make a lot of money. They aren't worth it.
>>
>>341519510

They just made two great ones for the Wii and PS3. If they can't make them anymore it's because the people who made those no longer work for Capcom.
>>
>>341527298
god forbid they actually show some effort in order to make money. If that's how Capcom is then they shouldn't even bother.
>WHY CAN'T WE HAVE FREE MONEY? FUCK NORTH AMERICA JAPAN AND CHINA GETS MORE MONSTER HUNTER MMOS!
>>
Classic formula doesn't work in the modern age. Mega Man games just don't sell.

The last time Mega Man was a big franchise was when they completely reinvented him with Mega Man Battle Network. It caught on and was huge until Capcom ruined it with a shitty 4th entry.

They're in the process of reinventing him again. Whether they'll strike lightning a 3rd time is a mystery.
>>
>>341525192
I hate how everyone dumps on x8. that game is good, god dammit.
>>
why do people even care about Megaman?
mediocre artificial difficulty NES game like 4000 other games from the same time
>>
>>341527593
theres megaman on ps3?
>>
>>341520690

You're a shit series and your face did not aged well at all.
>>
>>341520429
He'd at least have video games that where like his NES days for a while before getting weird spinoffs.
>>
>>341524784

Those franchise kept selling at steady numbers and never dipped.

Mega Man hasn't had a major hit in years.

>>341521675

That's literally what they did with Mega Man Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X, Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10. Those sure caught on didn't they?
>>
>>341527728

Yup. I'm pretty sure you can still buy Mega Man 9 and 10 on the PSN.
>>
>>341527687
>artificial difficulty

In other words, you suck at video games.
>>
>>341526429
So how many units did Megaman Legacy collection sell and what was the target?
Wondering if Street Fighter V's target was lower than typical because of funding by Sony.
>>
>>341526017
Starforce is 10 years old anon
>>
>>341525520

They use to be rushed out every year on a shit budget and would return a profit because the fanbase was dumb enough to keep supporting them despite their constant whining.

Mega Man fanbase stop buying the games entirely. That or there's just not as many dedicated fans as people think.

ZX Advent is loved on /v/, yet it's one of the worst performing Mega Man titles in the entire franchise.
>>
>>341527874
are you retarded? they are just re release....
>>
>>341528003
nah, there were far superior games that were harder like Battletoads that I loved
>>
>>341520931
One best-selling game in a series doesn't mean that the game company didn't profit from other game as well
>>
>>341528125

No. They are original games made for the Wii and PS3.
>>
>>341528253
They probably did, but they aren't as profitable as certain other games they could pour their resources into, namely Street Fighter and Monster Hunter.
>>
>>341528190

You have no problem with Battletoads but you have a hard time with a comparatively baby game like Mega Man? You're weird.
>>
>>341526017
First game had potential but they fucked it up as bad as they did with MMBN4 when they developed the second game. Shame, really.
>>
>>341528345
Resident Evil should replace Street Fighter in that namely. Wasn't even around for close to a decade and SFV was a flop.
>>
>>341527593
>it's because the people who made those no longer work for Capcom.

The people who made them aren't internal Capcom devs numbnuts. Inticreates is not part of Capcom, they only have ex-staff from 1996 on board. Capcom still hires them to make Mega Man games. Zero series, ZX series, 9 and 10 were all Inticreates.
>>
>>341527687
Because it plays good. I really don't know if it is because I have played them all enough to the point I know what to expect but I don't consider any of the games artificial difficulty. Maybe we just have a different definition of what that means.
>>
>>341528617

Right. And Initcreates no longer works for Capcom.
>>
>>341528518
>Wasn't even around for close to a decade and SFV was a flop.
This meme again. SFV's launch was rocky and it's unfinished, but it's probably one of the most lively current fighting games despite that.
>>
>>341527656
it's good, but not great. there's a lot to nitpick about it after the novelty wears off.

not the least of which there's no fucking replay value to levels because almost EVERYTHING that isnt X's armor or rare metals are shop items instead of in-stage items.

stages can be kind of bland at times- quarry is a good example

there's not 1 but 2 horrible third person land chaser segments

the character models look like ass and have serious clamp syndrome

Axl is a genuine improvement though. it does some things right, but a fuckton wrong. and id still rather play X6. I just never really get the desire to replay X8
>>
>>341520690

Pretty much this. If it wasn't for the music and fuckhuge sprites megaman would have been forgotten.
>>
>>341528695
Damning with faint praise.
Although that likely won't be true once Tekken 7 finally gets the home release.
>>
>>341528617
Can they do anything other than Megaman derivatives?
>>
>>341521675

The market is oversaturated with metroidvanias and rougelikes. The only megaman like game to come out was shovel knight and it was more a capcom sidescroller rather than megaman.
>>
>>341528125

Are YOU retarded?
>>
>>341519510
Why would anyone want one?

Over a hundred fucking games. People WANTED Megaman to die, just to free him from this suffering.
>>
>>341529267

Honestly, most of those a hundred fucking games are pretty good. There's a handful of shitty Mega Man games, but most of them are pretty good. Even the Battle Network games.
>>
>>341519960
http://www.desiquintans.com/articles/noungenerator.php

Bikini Man
Bondsman Man
Effort Man
Ghost Man
Imagination Man
Nexus Man
Pond Man
Stream Man
Vest Man
Weight Man

How many of those have been done before?
>>
>>341529267

it's disingenuous to say there's over a hundred, completely different, original Mega Man games. I hear that a lot. There's a lot of them, but there's not that many.
>>
Are there any mega man rom hacks where you can fight all the bosses from 1 to 6?
>>
>>341529772

No, but you can do that in the 3DS collection. I assume the Steam and PS4 versions have that mode as well.
>>
>>341528718
i agree with this. tho i still had fun with those vehicle levels, and i thought some stages displayed genuinely clever design.
>>
>>341528253
>One best-selling game in a series doesn't mean that the game company didn't profit from other game as well

Out of the 134 Mega Man games, only 4 of them are in Capcom's Platinum Hits (selling 1 million or more), all of those being from decades ago.

Mega Man overall as a franchise has made a total of 31 million dollars.

Monster Hunter, Street Fighter and Resident Evil have each outsold Mega Man as a franchise with far less titles. Resident Evil alone is double of what Mega Man has made.

The games obviously weren't generating a profit if they stopped making them. Not even 9, with all the hype and marketing it got, managed to break even 1 million in sales.
>>
>>341529929
I mean, in the same playthrough
A boss selection screen with every boss ever
>>
>>341529606

Administration Man
Archaeology Man
Attention Man
Booty Man
Escape Man
Industry Man
Prompt Man
Run Man
Trash Man
Twister Man

Decade Man
Doe Man
Downforce Man
Hearth Man
Hedge Man
Mansion Man
Receipt Man
Steeple Man
Swath Man
Zoot-suit Man

Desk Man
Difficulty Man
Gray Man
Insolence Man
Parade Man
Pavilion Man
Pianist Man
Pitch Man
Play Man
Weed Man

Just keep trying until inspiration strikes you.
IDEAS ARE CHEAP, what matters is the work to bring an idea into reality.
>>
>>341530045

I don't think you get a boss selection screen, but there is a boss rush mode where you just fight all of the bosses randomly, back to back.
>>
File: SHADOW.gif (5 KB, 224x144) Image search: [Google]
SHADOW.gif
5 KB, 224x144
I'm honestly not too worried about it anymore. I miss the old relaxed discussion we had here before all the drama though. It would be nice to get some closure to the zx series though.

I miss the old days of autism tier speculation on the mechanics and such and did rockman shadow have a cyber elf
>>
>>341530102
transfaggotsual man
>>
It's humorous to me to see people complain about the difficulty in Mega Man games. Even when I was 10, I complained about Mega Man games being too easy.
>>
>>341523792
Flip this argument on its head. We're a fanbase that's bought the same repetitive game time and time again with minimal changes, across multiple systems and series. We put up with the "10 days of translation / press Up to dive Down" X6. We put up with "BURN TO THE GROUND" X7. We went and bought and celebrated an NES game in 2008. We basically never cause any drama (pre-MML3). We buy the same game over and over with the same fucking or down-graded assets (MM GB, MM Xtreme) and pretend they're new games. We're literally the lowest maintenance fanbase ever.
>>
File: 1284599983722.gif (113 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1284599983722.gif
113 KB, 320x240
>>341519510
>>
File: What.jpg (40 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
What.jpg
40 KB, 505x431
>>341528694
>Right. And Initcreates no longer works for Capcom.

What part are you having trouble understanding?

Inticreates not being available to develop a Mega Man game isn't the reason why one isn't in development.

If anything, they want to make a new one since Azure Gunvolt is obviously trying to be a Mega Man game, and they're working on Mighty No. 9, another Mega Man clone. Capcom just isn't looking into developing one because of their own reasons.
>>
>>341530686
3 had some legitimately tough parts if you weren't guzzling e tanks. a few of the docbots were tough with that games huge touch damage and their hit boxes. also wily machine 2 in mm7 had some challenge to it
>>
Recore is Megan an x in 3d
>>
>>341530839

You're also not as big as you believe you are
>>
>>341520931

It's unfortunate - Mega Man died right before the Nostalgia-Wave of 201X. (Think of all the game/movie reboots now).

If Capcom were smart they'd be trying to catch the tail end of the wave right now.
>>
>>341523792
>How many more until you can be satisfied?

Do you ever get tired of eating food? Why would anyone get tired of getting new games? Even if many of those games play similarly and have similar themes and characters.
>>
>>341530102
>Weed Man
Would Trudeau sue?
>>
>>341531135

How is it that people still don't get the obvious signs that a new game is being developed?
>>
>>341520690
Wow, your a fucking idiot. Seems like it was too difficult for your weak ass. Go to Minecraft faggot
>>
>>341522764
>is 4 mills enough for creating a good game?

with proper budgeting, that's way more than enough for a game of MN9's scope.
>>
>>341530953

Inti-Creates is still creating Mega man styled games. They're just not making games for Capcom. It's you who is having a hard time understanding.

Inti-Creates made all the Mega Man games for Capcom over a certain amount of time. Now, they don't do work for them anymore. Hence, no more Mega Man games. It's not difficult to figure out.
>>
>>341524589
>this cartoon was okay compared to the coming one
>>
>>341531124
which is why it doesn't need to be large budget. I mean I personally have gotten over things ages ago but honestly they could spend very little making games that would keep a fanbase happy and still turn a profit since they don't spend ANY money on advertising mega man games. but it's clear they want to focus their efforts elsewhere so whatever i guess?
>>
>>341531375
Are there really obvious signs? The most obvious sign so far is the silence before a surprise announcement, as far as I have seen.

And then there's that cartoon. Ohh boy.
>>
>>341530102
>>341529606
Now try think about their designs, weapons and weaknesses
>>
>>341521217
There's only one hard moment in Mega Man, the Yellow Devil in 1. If you're only in it for difficulty, you might as well quit after beating him. The series is not gonna get any tougher.
>>
>>341531420
Gunvolt was fun. Inticreates is great.
>>
>>341531721

Yep. They're awesome.
>>
>>341531870
Gunvolt 2 hype. Where it turns out Not-Protoman is actually Not-MegaMan.
>>
>>341531720
Yellow Devil in 1 wasn't hard, just take a long time, things harder than him are
>Wily 4 boss in MM2
>Doc Quickman and Woodman in 3
>Wily Capsule in 7
>King stage 2 in Megaman & Bass
>Using Protoman in Hard in 10
>>
>>341519510
Because you either spend over 15 million dollars creating a fully fledged 2DHD Mega Man game that only last about and hour or two. And have people bitch that it isn't long enough in 2016, so the sales tank after the first week.

Or you phone in another pixel game at a fraction of the cost, but no one buys it, because "lol retro pixels in 2016".

Or you created a 3D game for a slightly less than it cost for 2D. It's looked upon like another 3D sidescrolling indie game, no one buys it, but at least you can nickel and dime people with cosmetic DLCs. People get pissed at you jewing them though.
>>
>>341530953
>Inticreates not being available to develop a Mega Man game isn't the reason why one isn't in development.

There's obviously a Mega Man game in development. Hope you're ready for Mega Man Boom!
>>
>>341526017
Because Starforce isn't Battle Network. It was a shitty attempt to to bring Battle Network into the 3DS era.
>>
>>341532102
>Using Protoman in Hard in 10

you must have enormous testicles to attempt something like this
>>
>>341532157
>but no one buys it, because "lol retro pixels in 2016".

This hasn't happened yet. 9 and 10 sold great. Though I doubt Capcom still have the facilities to make a proper new 2D Mega Man game, retro or otherwise.
>>
>>341531420

Rephrase your statement so that you're not implying Inti Creates' absence is responsible for the lack of Mega Man games.

Because that's simply not the case. Other Mega Man games developed by other teams were cancelled. It's not a lack of developer issue at all.

>>341531482

At that point, you're just keeping the franchise on eternal life support. Is that what you and the rest of the community really want? For a team to just constantly make Mega Man over and over again? I rather just let the franchise die in peace until someone else comes along and decides to give the franchise a proper revival.

>>341531592

The TV show is the biggest sign. You don't just make a kids TV show because you just really want one on the air. The purpose of that show is to advertise the property and sell merchandise. T-Shirts, toys, collectibles, games.

Mega Man will get a new game. Whether it'll be the game you dreamed of or just hot garbage is a mystery, but a new game is coming.
>>
>>341532534
>Rephrase your statement so that you're not implying Inti Creates' absence is responsible for the lack of Mega Man games.

I already did. I never inferred that all. Not sure where you got that from.

There's obviously new Mega Man games in development. They'll probably be shit. But they'll get made.
>>
>>341532524
>9 and 10 sold great.
Did they come out like 5-6 years ago? And didn't they cost about 1/3 of a retail game?
>>
>>341532157
Or actually you can just use the Mega Man label however you want to market a new any-genre game in a futuristic setting.

MML was a 3D action-adventure game
MMBN/SF were Action/Strat RPGs.

>>341532534
Are you implying that the game will be tied to the TV show, or that it'll just be a simultaneous push of two different "Mega Men"? Nothing I've heard so far points to the TV show being part of an extended media push.

Side note - has anyone heard anything about the relationship between Inti Creates and Capcom? I'm not sure how Mn9 / Gunvolt would go down with the Capcom execs.
>>
>>341532534
I personally don't care but I think yes, a lot of people would be happy if they just kept churning out games. really I just wanted a level development kit that had the correct physics for the games but I guess that's what romhacks are for. it would be nice if we got mario maker except mega man.
>>
>>341532756
1/6th of a retail game. And yes, they did very well. There's nothing that indicates that new 2D Mega Man games wouldn't also continue to sell well at all.
>>
>>341532937
Didn't Powered-Up have that? Or am I mistaken?
>>
>>341532992
Sequels always decline in sales. They only get a mild boost in interest if it's been a long time since the previous game came out. Or they rebrand.

If MM10 sold for 10 dollars, then how much money do they have to make to turn a profit? How much did production cost them? I wonder.
>>
>>341532848
>Are you implying that the game will be tied to the TV show, or that it'll just be a simultaneous push of two different "Mega Men"?

All I'm implying is that a game is coming. They've been mostly quiet on the TV show and any deals that come with it, probably because it's far too early in its development to start pushing the marketing.

>>341532848

>Side note - has anyone heard anything about the relationship between Inti Creates and Capcom? I'm not sure how Mn9 / Gunvolt would go down with the Capcom execs.

I really don't know why they would have an issue. They're not directly competing with Capcom since there are no Mega Man games out in the market. They're a dev for hire. I don't think Capcom has ever done anything incredibly petty toward a developer.
>>
>>341533245
could never find a copy of powered up myself and I need to get a new psp before ordering one, but the problem there is doesn't that only leave the options of powered ups "physics set"? I think it would be fantastic if we could get something like mario maker that had the option to make 8bit classic, x, or even some inbetween style levels. you can't possibly think it would be a bad thing if they put it together reasonably, though at the same time I doubt they would have the budget considering the situation.
>>
>>341520981
>Mega Man 10 was a disappointment
The music was way better than 9
>>
>>341533401
>How much did production cost them?

Comparatively very little. The games made money. I'm certain both 9 and 10 both had development staffs comprised of less than 20 people. It's not for the lack of profitability that they don't still make those games. Inti-Creates and Inafune have moved on.
>>
>>341531142
>Do you ever get tired of eating food?
Yes?
Who the hell wants to eat the same food 24/7?
>>
>>341532102
>Doc Quickman
>>
>>341533245
>>341533646
also I don't think theres anything wrong with that hopeful side of a fandom. we got a mhx 1 and were teased with 5 more possible games. why wouldn't we be hungry for that? we were given hints at a zx3 so of course we would want it and mml3 was so close we could taste it. I don't want the series to become something made just to keep fans quiet but it makes sense that people are hungry for something we thought we were going to get.
>>
>>341533574
>I don't think Capcom has ever done anything incredibly petty toward a developer.

I guess that's what I'm wondering. I don't know enough about Capcom dev lore to speak to that, but I could see them getting annoyed.
>>
>>341533798

Stupid statement. You may not eat your favorite food every day, but you enjoy eating it on a regular basis, I'm guessing.
>>
>>341533947
You can slide on MM3 though, that evens things out
>>
>>341533769
Or maybe the novelty ran out. They say a decrease of sales between 9 and 10. Realized it wasn't sustainable to distract talent away from helping with more ambitious products, and didn't want to spent more years creating games within the technical limitations of a now 30 year old device.
call me crazy, but having to make retro titles just to remain profitable, if only barely, sounds like a sad state.
>>
File: dr wily.png (193 KB, 505x396) Image search: [Google]
dr wily.png
193 KB, 505x396
>>341519960
But we budgeted for all of that!
>>
File: 1360007773753.jpg (40 KB, 630x418) Image search: [Google]
1360007773753.jpg
40 KB, 630x418
How many fucking mega man games do you need? Theres already 10 in the classic series, 8 in the x series, 4 in the battle network series and 9001 different spin offs.

I love mega man too but I dont understand why mega man fans always cry about there being no more games when he has the most games in any franchise outside of maybe mario or sonic
>>
>>341533976

I mean think of it this way. Capcom has kept Inafune around despite him constantly going against the exec's backs and funneling money that should have been going towards other projects to fund Dead Rising and Lost Planet and even made secret deals with Microsoft to make sure they didn't cancel them.

They didn't fire him. They gave him a damn promotion.

Everyone thinks Capcom axed all of Clover Studio's staff, but they left the company willingly. After all their titles failed to perform financially, they decided to just bring them back into their internal studios to work on studio projects instead of experimental ones.

Ono is still around despite the massive fuck up that was SFxT.
>>
>>341534247
That, and touching him does literally a really big chunk of damage, i'd rather hit myself on the boomerangs.
>>
>>341534397
>Or maybe the novelty ran out

Nah. Mega Man hasn't been a big seller in a long time, even before the time Inti were creating Mega Man titles for portable consoles. But they still made decent money for Capcom, just not the kind of money the popular big budget AAA titles were making. The only reason they continued to make them was because of Inafune. He was the one who continued to keep the series going despite middling interest from Capcom. 9 and 10 were passion projects. The only reason they don't still make them is no Inafune. That's it.
>>
>>341534471
>How many fucking mega man games do you need?

Over a million.
>>
>>341534939
>over a million
then i think you hit your quota in 1996
>>
File: 1323939086871.gif (2 MB, 176x144) Image search: [Google]
1323939086871.gif
2 MB, 176x144
>>341534420

Oh God. I forgot about this skit.
>>
>>341535071

You need to go back to school to learn how to count then.
>>
>>341534608

I want to read more about Capcom dev lore
>>
>>341534812
I'm not convince they sold as well as you think. But I'd have to actually find sales figures. So eh... I'm too lazy to bother. Maybe you're right.
I just don't see the point in continuing to make those retro games. But I imagine that they're much less costly to produce than say a Mega Man ZX, or a Mega Man Legends.
>>
>>341535859

I don't think they've ever released sales figures.
>>
>>341535859

I have read numerous comments from people who worked for Capcom that stated the games sold very well. There's no sales figures for downloadable games, but Capcom employees have commented positively about them.

And yes, they are significantly less costly to make than Mega Man Legends. A game with the scope of Mega Man Legends would cost tens of millions, even if it were done on a PS1 production budget.

For the record, they did recently hold a poll asking people if they'd like to see a Mega Man 11. I don't think Capcom has what it takes to make one properly, but it'll be interesting to see them try.
>>
>>341528718
>>341529958
I think the most genuinely clever thing about X8 was Copy Sigma's Design. It was a mashup of a couple of his forms, with an overal X1 throwback theme to it, saber included.

Copy Sigma's theme too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z5Ra14UrfM

and the fact that you technically DO fight 2 Sigma forms all things considered.
>>
>>341536494
>I don't think Capcom has what it takes to make one properly, but it'll be interesting to see them try.

There's literally nothing preventing them from hiring Inti Creates again.

And who knows. Maybe this time it won't be retro shit and it'll be more like Bionic Commando Rearmed like they originally wanted.
>>
>>341536779
>There's literally nothing preventing them from hiring Inti Creates again.

Pure speculation. For all you know, they might be in bed with Inafune, who has bad blood with Capcom. Either way, they haven't done any work for Capcom since the split. That's a telling sign.
>>
>>341531124
Yes, and? After making an engine they could probably get away with like 5 guys churning out sequels for years.
>>
>>341536779
>retro shit

Mega Man 9 is arguably the best game in the entire series, spin-offs included.
>>
>>341519960

The bigger problem they have is convincing people that's enough for a full-priced new game, which is why Capcom only made MM9 and MM10 during the HD era.

And now Capcom is dirt poor and probably relies on Sony handouts. Just look at SFV and its launch.
>>
>>341537318
10's better, but you were close enough c:
>>
>>341537383
>Just look at SFV and its launch.

They fucked themselves by rushing the game to meet some dumb tournament schedule
>>
>>341537680
10 is good, too. I prefer 9 but if I won't argue with that.
>>
>>341537728

I don't think that's the only reason why. Capcom said pre-announcement that they didn't have enough money to actually make a new Street Fighter; later, they announce a SF with console exclusivity.

Sony probably footed the bill, and as a result they made the bill smaller than they did for SF4. Only one person was put on the netcode pre-launch, that doesn't sound like a game with a large amount of budget allocated to it. I wouldn't be surprised if RE7 was a similar story.
>>
>>341532848
There was also that recent survey they sent out asking what series people would like to see a new game from.
>>
>>341537680
Nice shit taste
>>
>>341537024
Inafune literally said he had no qualms about working with Capcom in the future. Businessmen don't hold grudges when there's money to be made.
>>
>>341534471
it's been 6 years tho
>>
>>341539020
fight me irl
>>
>>341534471
WHEN IT STOPS BEING FUN, WE WILL STOP ASKING FOR MORE.
>>
>>341537024

That's not a sign at all. They just dropped all development on Mega Man titles and that's all Inticreates ever developed for them. Why would they seek a contract with them?
>>
>>341539375
Meet at the park fag you won't last one palm strike
>>
>>341523792
Considering every single Mega Man series fucking sucks, every fan of every single series wanted at least one more good game.
But no every series ended on some bullshit.
Sucks for Legends fans where Volnutt is stuck on the Moon for eternity and no one saved him.

I'm an X fan and I'm fine with X1-4.
5 fucking sucks, 6 is even fucking worse.
Holy shit fucking 7 is horrid.
8 is okay.

I don't even know if I would like an X9, cuz it'll never be like X1-4
>>
>>341540580

There are literally no bad games in the original mega man series. 8 was the worst, but even that is a fun diversion.

But yeah, X. That series went off the rails early on and just kept right on going.
>>
>>341540580
X6 is worse than X7.

Even worse, X6 was evidently much lazier than X7.
>>
>>341519510
There are a million megaman games. Why does there need to be more?
>>
>>341542445
Regardless, both suck.
>>
>>341543481
X7 gets too much hate because of the hate bandwagon.

There're good bits in there.
>>
>>341543612
Well it's the only 3D game in the series and it's now that great of a 3D game.
Hell I remember when they said you can play the entire game co-op with a friend, but they scrapped it.
I was gonna be X shooting enemies while my friend slashed shit with Zero.
Expectations shot so X7 instantly ruined any quality it really had.
>>
>>341543612
X7 had no redeeming qualities imo. that game can burn to the fucking ground.
>>
>>341544206

Its gameplay was fine
>>
>>341544206
The OST was alright. Everything else is just laughable.
>>
>>341527131
It's exactly what they did with Darkstalkers, as well. The PS2 port had every game in the series, plus lots of extras. The recent port only has two games in their base forms.
>>
>>341538570
>Capcom said pre-announcement that they didn't have enough money to actually make a new Street Fighter;
That is not what they said at all. Never once have they said they didn't have enough money to make SF, or that they couldn't have made it without Sony, or anything else along those lines. It's a myth based on clickbait headlines and quotes taken out of context.
>>
>>341544620
The PS2 port had various glitches while allegedly the DRes version was the arcade version
>>
>>341544965
That is the one thing that Resurrection did better, it's the most arcade-accurate port yet. But most casual players aren't going to be interesting in arcade accuracy, they're going to be more interested in things like how many games, modes and characters are included. Which is where the PS2 version rally shines.
>>
>>341531720
But how? Even Elecman with buster only gives more troubles than Yellow Devil
>>
>>341520690
XD
>>
>>341519510
Been playing the first one a lot recently. Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. But is it me or are the power ups superfluous? Cutman's blade doesn't do any damage to any major enemies, and Gutsman's ability is a rarity. It get better?
>>
>>341545986
Yes it does, but it obviously gets harder
>>
File: Electric slide.png (237 KB, 745x405) Image search: [Google]
Electric slide.png
237 KB, 745x405
>>341520690
Ouch

I'm a bigger fan of the X series anyway.
>>
>>341532461
>the first game came out 5 years before the 3DS
Wow, they failed pretty hard then
>>
>>341527838
>Implying dumb as fuck greedy Nintendo won't just put him in smash and call it a day
>>
>>341520232
>>341520370
Someone has to explain to me how it got so that 3 of the 4 platforming series all control the same but the original only made a half commitment to follow suite.
>>
>>341543612
>too much hate
look, I understand that on this site things get an overload of hate because of a bandwagon, but I just want to say that game can not possibly get enough hate. the ONLY thing it had going for it was axl and ONLY because he became a good character in the next game. it butchered every mechanic the series had been known for even down to the upgrades which were made to be the worst the series had ever known. the music was atrocious the story incoherent EVEN FOR AN X GAME and this is all before I even consider talking about the terrible flaws in the game play. Between x7 and BN4 the worst game of the series has to go to x7.
>>
mega man unlimited is proof that even fans are capable of making good megaman games, so yea it's just capcom being lazy fucks
>>
>>341549825
How is the story more incoherent that X6's

Also X5 is the game that killed the upgrade system. X7 brought it back.
>>
>>341550038
Not that anon, but I'm guessing you're talking about the armors. The only reason they did that in X5 and X6 is due to those being the first games in the series with more then one armor.
>>
>>341550210

In X5 you could already choose between different armors before stages. That means it should be trivially easy to have players select [Incomplete Flight] and [Incomplete Gaia], if the developers don't want the additional work of mix-and-match.

Also gliding was fun.
>>
>>341550504
>In X5 you could already choose between different armors before stages.
They didn't want you mixing and matching armor parts, which is why they didn't let you have the option.
>>
File: 1246403230870.jpg (240 KB, 1167x825) Image search: [Google]
1246403230870.jpg
240 KB, 1167x825
>>341550038
x6 made a vague level of sense. rewatch or play the story of x7. that level of dumb fuckery cant be explained away by the zero virus any day of the week. also the "upgrade system" you are talking about was an abomination that made at least 1 of the 3 characters in any run not worth playing. i'm talking about the capsules which x7 brought the shittiest piece of trash known as the glide armor into existence. look anon, i'm not just here to shitpost. I went far too deep into the rabbit hole on this game and you are going to have to work harder than that to prove that this horrible abomination was even decent let alone redeemable
>>
>>341550709
I'm talking about X5/6 not letting you use any armor until you collect all of it.
>>
File: bab.jpg (156 KB, 466x1600) Image search: [Google]
bab.jpg
156 KB, 466x1600
>>341522764
>>
>>341550808
I'm honestly sure it has to do with programming anon, notice how when you get the ultimate armor in X5 you don't just automatically have it on, despite it being one full armor.
>>
>>341550779
Gliding was fun, but that's personal taste.

What I think is less debatable is that X5/X6's insistence that you collect all parts before you could use any upgrades did far more damage to the upgrade system and fun of the game than anything X7's upgrades did.

Add "no weapons while using X5 armors" made weapons even less relevant. As a result, people end up using the X4 armor and having little reason to experiment with the rest

And then we have the fairly superfluous module system too (although I think X7 also had that, but X5 introduced it).

(I don't even hate X5, but it did introduced several fairly bad ideas. Also crouching/hanging were pretty useless.)

>>341550975
If you're talking about the graphics / in-stage implementation of the armors, then yes, that would require work. But not supporting it also really affected the game.
>>
>>341532102
I swear I am the only person who had no problems with any of King's stages as either Megaman or Bass.

They just make jumps easier for Megaman too.

Also why do so many people ignore Wily Capsule's difficulty in 7? Was it just not popular with anyone?
>>
>>341551369

I remember people saying that 7's Wily is the hardest, for what it's worth.
>>
>>341551278
gliding can be fun all it wants but it was ultimately useless. even if x5/6 system was flawed it still ended with powerful upgrades which actually fucking meant something. yes crouching and hanging were useless but if we are to get into straight up gameplay flaws x7 has no shortage of issues to bring to the table.
>>
>>341551461
He definitely is, but for some reason Yellow Devil gets all the attention.

It's not that Yellow Devil isn't hard or anything either.
Wily was just a huge cunt in 7
>>
>>341551369
They cheesed with Wild Coil and not using Buster maybe
>>
>Pokemon survived and managed to get a fuckton of sequels
>Megaman BN died

Fucking REEE Megaman could be made again so easily, and it had so much potential for an RPG that isn't as pants on head retarded as "Le Pokemon RPG!"
>>
>>341551542

I used gliding to turtle against Red.

Gaia armor is useless. Too bad it had such a sweet design.
Falcon armor is good for secrets and cheaping through stages but still not great in battle. because you can't airdash. Also can't charge weapons.

Shadow armor is Gaia armor with more gimmicks. It's limited enough that while it has good damage output and maneuverability, you have to play a particular way to not feel gimped. You work for the armor, not the other way around.
Blade armor's dash is fucking annoying to use, and the saber is pretty useless too. At least it's a step in the right direction of not having an armor make you weaker.

In other words, no armor feels like a straight up upgrade like in X1-4, or X7-8.
>>
>>341552252
ok you had some level of point until you said x1-4 had no straight up upgrade when every armor in those 4 games was pure increase in raw power. I mean I can concede that someone could find a use for the glide armor but theres no way that you could believe the gold armor isn't a straight upgrade
>>
>>341552252
>>341552467
and my drunk ass missed you saying LIKE so I misread that last statement god damn. either way the shadow armor is actually really powerful against some of the fights but to get there you have to make one of the hardest jumps in the game (its not really hard if you don't use the shadow armor but i guess you have to earn the right or something)
>>
>>341552467
You misunderstood my post: I'm saying in X1-4 and X7-8, your armors always feel like an upgrade.

In X5/6 every armor takes things away from you (except arguably Blade armor, but I remember getting annoying by the dash. Also it's probably the ugliest design in 2D)
>>
>>341552628
yeah i fucked up there, but either way if i remember right shadow is actually the most powerful armor for gate
>>
>>341552628
The X5 armors aren't the same types of armors as those others from a plot stand point anyway.

The point of the Falcon Armor is just to be mobile and the Gaea Armor is to be defensive, this is why they let you keep the Fourth Armor.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 400x400
>>341520690
>Yfw you spot a poster too casul 2 beat ol school megaman
>>
>>341552624
>either way the shadow armor is actually really powerful against some of the fights but to get there you have to make one of the hardest jumps in the game

Right, the Shadow armor has its pluses but you need to live with all its downsides to get mileage out of it.

X5/6 somehow decided that "upgrades" mean "force you to play alternate styles". If I wanted to play a different style I would play Zero, thank you very much.

>>341552891
>from a plot stand point
Elaborate. Was it something Light said in his capsule?

And yes, I'm saying that the choice to have Falcon/Gaea be "alternate" styles and leaving us the scrappy old Fourth Armor as the mainstay is pretty shitty, especially when by the end of the game none of them are really that good. X6 does this better by having Blade be the mostly vanilla armor and Shadow be the weird gimmicky one, but forgot to fix the upgrade system.

Only in X7 do we get back to "upgrade=better".
>>
>>341553248
well I'd prefer clear plus sides and downsides over x7 having definitive downsides and hard to find upsides
>>
>>341553496
How does the glide armor have definitive downsides?
>>
>>341553248
>Elaborate. Was it something Light said in his capsule?
Yes.

>>"Dr. Light: This is the program for the arm part of the Falcon Armor. Analyze and upload the data to your main memory in a secure area. Once you upload all 4 of the programs, the Falcon Armor will be complete. With the arm part equipped, you can maximize and attack with your original shot, but you can't charge the special weapons. As this armor specializes the mobility, if you want to enhance your attack power, use other armor."

>"I'll give you another program for your armor... This is an armor prototype that I created a long, long time ago... I named it Gaea Armor. Gaea armor specializes in defense ability. It is very heavy and lacks mobility... You won't be able to use weapons. Still, it will be very useful because you will be able to walk on the damaged area... With this armor equipped, you'll be able to reach places that you have never been able to before... Use your armor wisely."

The first 4 armors wear more or less part of a set, and they all added on to each other, X's armors in the 5th game were Light dicking around and trying to make something different for him.

It makes sense since it was going to be the final game in the series originally.
>>
>>341553547
I'm referring to the games as a whole at this point even if i seriously disagree with you I've gotta say this is refreshing discussion levels i haven't seen on /v/ in years.
>>
>>341553649
Well that's more like a plot excuse for a gameplay mechanic, right?

Also it being the final game makes less sense because even more so I would like an ultimate armor to surpass the Ultimate Armor.

Also did you guys see the toys where you could reassemble the ultimate armor as a hoverboard? That was pretty neat.

>>341553883
Oh. Yea well I haven't played X7 in a while and I'm sure if I went back all sorts of terrible memories would come back, but I still hold a grudge against X5/X6's armor system.

Also yes this was fun. Now back to your regularly scheduled /v/ shitposting
>>
File: Nothing personal kid.png (226 KB, 320x958) Image search: [Google]
Nothing personal kid.png
226 KB, 320x958
>>341554267
>Well that's more like a plot excuse for a gameplay mechanic, right?
Plot excuse that leads to it being a gameplay mechanic really, since you could fly around with Falcon and walk on spikes with Gaea.

>Also it being the final game makes less sense because even more so I would like an ultimate armor to surpass the Ultimate Armor.
Light during X4 says that the Ultimate Armor is dangerous to use since it was never finished, despite it being completely fine for you to use. I'm going to guess despite never commenting on it, the X5 version is more or less a safe version.

AI Light makes it clear he's the one making the armors, seeing as he took an interest in making Zero an armor as well. Since Zero isn't his robot he was only able to upgrade his abilities, which is why you get the plot excuse of Black Zero.
>>
File: 1361339725981.jpg (167 KB, 484x634) Image search: [Google]
1361339725981.jpg
167 KB, 484x634
>>341554267
>Now back to your regularly scheduled /v/ shitposting
see you next time x7 anon. this board needs more next times.
>>
>>341555163
>yfw the four guardians were retconned to be alive, then retconned to be dead
>>
>>341555594
>tfw all four guardians wanted to fight fuck Zero
I think that may say more about X since they were made from his soul or some shit in all honesty.
>>
Personally speaking, I prefer X6 over X4 and X5. X6 has a ton of flaws, but I did not find X4 challenging enough, and X5 had way too many interruptions to gameplay.

At the very least, I think X6 OST is by far the best of the PS1 bunch.
>>
>>341556402
There was a lot of smart ideas in X6, if they had fixed up the level design so it wasn't bullshit at points it would be the best of the PS1 era X games.

Also whoever had the idea of making reploids you can save die and stay dead for that playthrough of the game should be fired.
>>
File: 1466026765909.jpg (111 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
1466026765909.jpg
111 KB, 500x355
we just need a Kirby x mega man crossover
Kirby gameplay through mega man 9 would be amazing
plus the end boss rush fits kirby
>>
>>341556690
That, and Heatnix should have had a better stage design to go along with his stage theme.

At any rate, it's a miracle that the game is as good as it is considering the development time.
>>
>>341519510
Because capcom are now a bunch of dishonest unnproffesional man children cogs who think constantly going out if their way to piss off the fanbase with dick move after dick move and them being oblivious assholes about it EVERY SINGLE TIME, EVERY SINGLE TIME, its the reason why megaman is unnoficially dead.
>>
>>341557045
FUCKING THIS, REMEMBER

>We want your input on who will make it to UMVC3
>People vote X as numver 1
>OOOH SO SORRY you didnt wanted him enough amagan!
>Tease Megaman in a poster in a fucking stage
>he shows up as a joke cameo in Nova's ending
>You want Megaman X so here it is
>Its a shameless skin for Zero with no other changes
>They teased Megaman in TekkenXSF
>FATMAN
>Oh the creator (inafune) worked on this, it was his idea OH SO SORRY AMAGAN
>Inafune didnt even knew about this, and probably isn't allowed to confirm it.
>the person who make the claims is TROLLONO
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.