[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Open world is bad meme Is this really /v/'s collective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 1450482038281.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1450482038281.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>Open world is bad meme

Is this really /v/'s collective opinion now?

Are you guys really that autistic you can't go a few minutes without some kind of stimulation?
>>
It's not, don't wave the retard flag in /v/ by believing shitters.

Look at how crazy it was over MGSV, how it loved The Witcher 3. Both those games were multiplats, but /v/ has a hard on for anti-sony anti-nintendo agenda.

The next Zelda game looks promising, the same can be said about PS4's zombie game Days Gone which is open world.
>>
I've always hated Open World games. I don't see the advantage in having a bigger map if said map is empty and bland. Literally all it's doing is making the travel time between objectives longer.
Hopefully one day everyone will get sick of Open World games as much as I've been sick of them since forever.
>>
>>341511641

So basically you're one of the autistic ones that can't go a few minutes without stimulation. Got it.
>>
>>341509357
Open world isn't bad. Open world shoved onto an existing series is generally poorly implemented and bad. There are exceptions of course, but the general rule is open world takes more time and consideration and a different game design than traditional linear games.
>>
File: 1464116376719.gif (160 KB, 430x270) Image search: [Google]
1464116376719.gif
160 KB, 430x270
Open world games aren't inherently bad.

It's possible to have a great open world but still be disappointing gameplay-wise (XBCX).
It's possible to have a disappointing open world but still be great gameplay-wise (MGSV).
You can't have both. At least, the sweetspot hasn't been found yet.
>>
>>341513147
what about XCX? That was pretty damn good.
>>
>>341513310
god im retarded, I meant XC as in Xenoblade Chronicles.
>>
>>341512464
>Calls others autistic
>Thinks MGS V's open world is good when it was just repeating the same missions over and over again but in different areas
Autists love repetition you know
>>
>>341509357

Not if done correctly.

I assume you are talking about MGSV from your picture. That's open world done awful. Because there is nothing to do in the world once you're there.
>>
>>341512464
And you're an autistic faggot that bitches about MUH IMMERSION, MUH REALISM and MUH COMFYNESS as an excuse for empty maps.
>>
>>341509357
It's not

Only when it's shoehorned into a franchise then yes its bad
>>
>>341509357
GTA 1- San andreaes
Morrowind
The Simpsons Hit and Run
These are the only good open world games ever other one is just boring or unfun
>>
Open world complaining about games like xenoblade x or elder scrolls is ADHD faggots off their pills

But there are serious issues with games like mgsv
>>
>>341514207
Pfhahahahaha. MGS V is easily a million times the Open World game than anything Bethesda-related. Fuck off, Open World memer.
>>
Open world games are almost certain doom to a studio that has had no experience with them beforehand.
>>
>>341509357
Nah, the tide's just kind of turning now.
It wasn't too long ago that people would say a game was bad because it was "linear." There were actually people who thought Half-life was a bad game just because it was "linear!" Can you imagine?
In reality, both linear and open world (and all the degrees in between) are perfectly valid ways of making games. And historically, both approaches have produced plenty of enjoyable video games.
>>
>>341512854
>burnout paradise

shit game mate
>>
>>341514785
That's not what I'm arguing

I'm arguing in the aspects of their open worlds, in which case mgsv fails

Maybe if you were off your pills, you could have made the connection
>>
Open world tends to be bad because most devs just use it as an excuse to put no effort into designing the play area, quantity over qualtiy
>>
Depend on the game really, for example Warband is okay while Skyrim is shittier
>>
I really like the Dark Souls approach. Separate areas that can be accessed seamlessly, with thought and care put into almost every environment. The game felt like one large place, without any padding like the Zelda games use to try to make their world seem big.

Hubs like VtM are good too, open worlds just gets a lot of flack because they're just horizontal plains of samey buildings and locales. Unless the game is fairly compelling, like New Vegas or RDR, then the approach falls flat on its face. Linear games aren't always good, but if the world doesn't matter as much as the story or the gameplay than I don't see any point in deviating from it.
>>
>>341509357
>Are you guys really that autistic you can't go a few minutes without some kind of stimulation?
That's not how autism works. Autists are the ones that have fun walking around in circles for hours while nothing happens.
>>
>>341517193

Skyrim has arguably the best open world. Mainly because it doesn't feature a generic modern or historic city setting.
>>
GZ was so much better than V it isnt even funny.

LoZBotW will be better than V
>>
/v/:
>waaaahhhhh open world games are shit!

/v/:
>Morrowind is amazing!
>New Vegas is amazing!
>Mount and Blade is amazing!
>The Witcher is amazing!
>Bloodborne is amazing!

Basically just don't listen to /v/.
>>
>>341518739
Bloodborne is open world now?
>>
GZ was so much better than V, thankfully many people on /v/ are smart enough to see it.

Both types of games can be shit. There are shitty open worlds, and shitty theme parks.

That being said, Zelda BOTW looks excellent because if added RPG elements, weapon choice, and more open ended encounters. We've been begging for proper RPG elements in Zelda for years.
>>
>>341518739
Bloodborne isn't Open World. The Witcher 1 and 2 aren't Open World. Morrowind and New Vegas are shit. Can't speak for Mount and Blade.
>>
>>341518739
>it's a /v/ is a single poster episode
>>
>>341520536
>Morrowind and New Vegas are shit

Great meme, my friend! Do you mind if I share this one? (:
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 443x332
The most atmospheric open world game here
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.