[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't "horror" games scary anymore? They're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
Why aren't "horror" games scary anymore? They're all either filled with action or cheap jumpscares now.
>>
Why not just say "I havent played a horror game in 5 years, recommend me some"

Because its clear you havent
>>
>>341465790
Because they're primarily made by Americans or unoriginal indie devs.
>>
There has never been a scary horror game
>>
Because everyone has already played at least one decent horror game and, as a result, become desensitized. The closest to a polished horror release in ages is Alien: Isolation and I find myself admiring the quality more than shitting my pants.

I've experienced Silent Hill 1 and 3 already, that's an experience I can never have again, and that goes for pretty much everyone.
>>
The Evil Within was okay, but the real scary ones haven't been made since Team Silent.
>>
>>341466161
what about friday the 13th on NES
>>
>>341465790
Alien isolation was decent I thought
>>
>>341465790
because you grew up
>>
I don't get the hate for jumpscares. Granted, they can be used poorly, but I always roll my eyes at babies who think they don't count as scary and shouldn't be in at all.

Horror is all about building up suspense, dread and atmosphere and then popping it in some severe way. This includes jump scares.

Problem with modern horror isn't really action or jumpscares, but a heavy reliance on making you helpless, making everything dark as hell, and making enemies completely unstoppable.

This is why STALKER did horror so well. With the right mods especially, STALKER can be terrifying, because while it will have jump scares and muh darkness, it punishes you in ways beyond just "oh no, enemy saw you, now you dead."

You spray and pray and waste ammo. You are forced to use medical supplies. You get lost. You wander into radiation or other hostile zones. You fail a mission 'cause you've been delayed.

This is all forgotten in stuff like Outlast. This is also why RE1 was so good, ESPECIALLY the Remake with the crimson heads and burn-the-bodies mechanic and management.
>>
Only slightly related to the topic at hand: Is RE4 worth buying right now at 65% off or is there a chance it will go lower during the Steam sale?
>>
You grew up and realised that pixels aren't scary
>>
>>341465790

I dunno, I was playing corpse party and the gore didn't get to me, even though it was pretty detailed.

What got me though was that you got to know practically everyone well enough that it just felt so tragic.

I think horror needs more emphasis on characterization. The monster doesn't need to be tragic at all, but most of the horror isn't seeing some guy get his head ripped off, but seeing a character you've known for half the game about to die and you can't do anything.

Its why the OAV was a waste of time, since it was just gore with no other content
>>
>>341468938
Jump scares do not actually scare you. They startle you. If somebody unexpectedly clapped in front of your face, you'd jump from the chair, but was it scary?
Real scares build atmosphere and tension and create unnerving, uncomfortable atmosphere. While some may argue that the real scare part of jumpscares is time before it, I say its more of a generally negative experience. When you're playing FNAF, you're not being scared, you just want to avoid a shitty experience of a stupid bear jumping in your face
>>
>>341465790
you're not a child anymore. games are for children
>>
Both layers of fear and SOMA where excellent atmospheric horrors that came out recently.
>>
>>341468938
Jump scares aren't bad and they have a rightful place in horror game design. The problem I see with recent horror games is that they completely rely on jump scares to scare the player.

Like you said a good horror game should have a bunch of tools to use like atmosphere, the environment, sound design, etc to build suspense and fear in the player. Recent horror games have taken the easy way out by completely relying on jump scares or unstoppable enemies to create fear and it just comes off as lazy and boring.

I know I might get some flak for this opinion but Dead Space was great in my eyes as what a horror game should strive for. It used the environment and sound design and the ships dark, dank atmosphere to inspire fear and used its jump scares very sparingly just to keep the player on their toes. Then, late in the game after you've gotten into the groove of killing the different types of enemies it throws an unkillable monster at you and it's terrifying that you've lost your sense of control
>>
>>341470259
I think the blanket statement that jump scares don't actually scare you is a bit retarded; I mean sure there's the "just pop in your face and that's it" sort, but there's also the "I've just dropped you into a threatening situation suddenly without much warning and now you have to escape". Jump scares can be used to force you into an incredibly stressful situation.
>>
Try duskers.
>>
Post more Kogasa.
>>
What are you talking about? Five Nights At Freddies is the most spoopy game ever made XDXD
>>
File: 1342771383444.jpg (66 KB, 680x771) Image search: [Google]
1342771383444.jpg
66 KB, 680x771
>>341472231
>>
>>341465790
Probably because most modern games rely too much on jumpscares.
>>
File: 1419565344718.jpg (49 KB, 463x296) Image search: [Google]
1419565344718.jpg
49 KB, 463x296
Is this the sekrit 2hu thread?
>>
>>341465790
The jumpscares meme.
>>
>>341473403
Literally every great horror game has used jumpscares to a limited extent. /v/ retards pretend that having a single one means it's trash.
>>
>>341465790
Name one scary horror game. At best they were unnerving, but you don't even need to be a horror gave to achieve this one
>>
>>341474141
I didn't say if it had it it was trash. I said that the games now tend to rely solely on jumpscares without building up any tension or atmosphere.
>>
>>341474206

Luigis Mansion?
>>
File: 1439405031095.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1439405031095.gif
2 MB, 360x270
Play P.T when you're alone in the house, with headphones, with the room fully dark.

It might just be a tech-demo, but fuck.
>>
>>341475047
>play P.T.
You bastard
>>
File: 01807614953.jpg (189 KB, 850x1133) Image search: [Google]
01807614953.jpg
189 KB, 850x1133
>>341473798
no, it's a spooky thread
>>
>>341476605
Spooky booty?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.