[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything I need to know about Metal Gtear lore beforehand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: age_bg_tpp.jpg (277 KB, 1400x764) Image search: [Google]
age_bg_tpp.jpg
277 KB, 1400x764
Is there anything I need to know about Metal Gtear lore beforehand if I go into this as a total casual to the franchise?
>>
>>341453831
Not really. You can listen to the cassette tapes if you want lore.
>>
>>341453831
Start with MGS1, as God Kojima intended.

What you are doing is starting Star Wars with Return of the Jedi. Dumb as fuck, and no one should do that.
>>
File: The Order to play MGS games.jpg (2 MB, 2398x3442) Image search: [Google]
The Order to play MGS games.jpg
2 MB, 2398x3442
>>341453831
You should pretty much know the ENTIRE SERIES before hand, preferably.

However, I'd rather just skip MGS5 games altogether, grab the MGS Legacy Collection for PS3 (and the console if you lack it), and play the original games in the release order, starting with MGS1.

MGS5 is a bit weird and problematic title. It tries to be the "missing link" and "the ending" of the entire series, while the game itself is NOT FINISHED! It literally lacks the last chapter altogether, and it has tons of literal filler missions trying to patch that gap. MP shit is pretty much tacked-on too.
It's all even more ridiculous, since chronologically it takes place before the very first Metal Gear game, and MGS4 was chronologically and design-wise already meant to be the grand finale of the saga. And it did it much better.

Similarly, MGS Peace Walker, the game to which MGS5:GZ and TPP are direct sequels, was originally meant to be called "MGS5:PW", and to be perfectly honest, it also did that job much more elegantly.
>>
I've played MGS 1, 2, and 3. Should I play 4 or PW before V?
>>
>>341453831
>Is there anything I need to know about the lore of a franchise that's been around since the 80's and spawned 4 main games as well as spin off and is revered as one of the most important gaming franchises ever created?

Nah dude.
>>
Chapter 3 is being made by nintendo
>>
>>341453831
Ideally you should play every main MGS game before hand + Peace Walker.
The bare minimum would be reading the events of MGS3 and Peace Walker.
>>
>>341453831
This game had no fucking plot and anyone can play it, plus it's the worst game in the franchise next to Peace Walker.

I'd recommend playing MGS1-4 first and if you're still interested checking out PW and 5 for shits and giggles more than anything
>>
I knew fuck all about Metal Gear besides the stuff I picked up from people talking about it around me and enjoyed the game just fine.
>>
Honestly no. The story is so barebones and most of it is told through audio tapes. At the most you could check out Peace Walker as it's pretty much a continuation of it but even still I don't think it's a big deal. Tapes give you plenty of backstory if you want.
>>
>>341455507
4, PW references it.
>>
File: PANICED.jpg (36 KB, 635x353) Image search: [Google]
PANICED.jpg
36 KB, 635x353
>>341453831
you should try not to panic
>>
>>341456056
I said this wrong actually.
Play 4 first, then play PW because it references 4 and sets up for 5, then play 5
>>
>>341455614
>Iron wheel tough 5: 3
>By Nintendo
>Big chief finishes his story and blows up nokami corporation
>Silent in smash 5

Please be real
>>
>>341455507
>Should I play 4 or PW before V?
Yes.
At very least PW, since Ground Zeroes takes place immidiately after it.

Plus PW is fucking amazing game, and better than both GZ and TPP.
And yes, Ground zeroes is necessary too, as it's literally the starting chapter for the MGS5 experience.
>>
if you give a damn, the timeline goes something like

3, portable ops, POplus, peace walker, ground zeros, mgs5 : case of the missing arm, the 80s metal gears(don't NES version), MGS, mgs 2, mgs 4, raidens cyborg ninja story.

as someone said the tapes are a good place to start, you may be ok since ingame your MC has a decent case of amnesia so you don't really need to know everything.

that said I can't see some things making sense without playing or seeing PW and ground zeros. portable ops and 3 also to an extent. but I don't know how you cannot have played 3 yet, its classic.
>>
Whatever you do, do not play 4. It's a piece of shit and barely a game.
>>
>>341456940
>PW is fucking amazing game
>better than both GZ and TPP
Going way too far, but yes it's definitely essential for getting into the MGSV games
>>
>>341457616
>as someone said the tapes are a good place to start
I witnessed a complete MGS newbie start with MGSV last year. He didn't really bother with the tapes, and to be honest they don't do a good job at telling the story either. You'll be missing all the small references and many "things" with the re-occuring gameplay elements.

>>341457764
>>341457890
Fuck off, both of you.
4 is much more of a game than MGS2, and PW is in the top 3 MGS games EVER created.

Put a 350 hours to it on PS3, and would gladly do it again.
>>
>>341457764
Get out
>>
File: son goku.png (229 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
son goku.png
229 KB, 480x360
>mfw op comes back after 1 hour to bitch about how there was a flying unicorn and a psychic kiddo in the prologue.
>>
>>341453831
No problem senpai, you're playing a spin-off
>>
>>341457963
350 hours of what? Grinding? Destroying shit robots with massive health pools? Sneaking past braindead AI? PW is trash.
>>
RELEASE ORDER
E
L
E
A
S
E

O
R
D
E
R
>>
>should I read harry potter and the order of the phoenix first? i can jump right in, right?

holy fuck, come on man. release order like every other thing ever
>>
File: PW what I played - what I got.png (1 MB, 721x1024) Image search: [Google]
PW what I played - what I got.png
1 MB, 721x1024
>>341458245
350h of enjoying magnificent campaign, going back at it in co-op at times, finishing varied side missions, seeing my base grow, sending off my troops and being super worried how many would return, listening to background stories and technical trivia from casettes, and having fun blowing up AI mechs, and non-lethal stealthing the vehicle squads. The game also has lovely art style and smooth controls (on PS3), and runs silky smooth 60fps. Much better Versus MP than the MGO3 as well.

Peace Walker is simply marvelous, most FUN MGS game to date. It's also a total /k/ommando's wet dream, being set in the middle of Cold War, and packing dozens of IRL weapons of the era to toy around with.
>>
>all these people saying you have to play all of the solid series to understand V
lol no
OP, you can understand most of the story by reading a summary of MGS3, Peace Walker, and the original MSX Metal Gear.
>>
>>341461114
>reading summaries of interactive Omni-Media products, where the experience itself is more than half the appeal
wow, what a moron.
>>
>>341453831

Treat it as an unintentional comedy done deliberately; and you'll be fine.
>>
>>341457963
>>341458067
4 is a piece of shit and you're faggots for liking that "game" that destroyed the story of the series

Hey, OP, here, let me spoil and summarize 4 for you
>I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE POSSESSED LMAO
>>
>>341454034
I've been playing since the PS1, that "HD" remaster is garbage.
>>
>>341461382
Y-yeah you tell him anon! Only real gamers allowed xD
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.