[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>analog keyboard So is this going to solve KB+M's single
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9
File: coverpickv2.jpg (946 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
coverpickv2.jpg
946 KB, 2048x1152
>analog keyboard

So is this going to solve KB+M's single drawback or is it going to be shit?
>>
File: switch_motion.gif (471 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
switch_motion.gif
471 KB, 500x500
>>
>kickstarter
>ever delivering waht was promissed
Abnandon all hope faggot
>>
>>341439053
Sounds like a nightmare
>>
>>341439053
What exactly does it offer over a regular keyboard?
>>
>kickstarter

goys and their money
>>
>>341439361
I just want to believe, Anon. If it actually works I'll never use a controller again.
>>
Pressyre sensitive buttons never amounted to much in video games. All you really need is one trigger for racing speed.
>>
>>341439468
Apparently the keys feel the same as a regular cherry MX.

>>341439476
Analog input. Analog > WASD
>>
>>341439549
Unless I'm wrong, it averages the wasd input to emulate an analog stick. That would solve that single problem that holds keyboards back in some games.
>>
>>341439659
But it would need games to actually support such input, right? Never going to happen.
>>
>>341439908
Most games support simultaneous controller and KB+M input, I imagine it would work similar to the Steam Controller, only not shit.
>>
>>341439476
The only feature I can see being even slightly viable is mapping a key at the actuation point and at bottoming out, which might be useful in dogshit games.

Just to give you an idea of how worthless this is as an analog concept, the reading range is 2-4mm. That's basically the difference between where your key activates, and where it bottoms out. The degree of precision you can have within 2mm is less than the precision found on the analog face buttons on something like the DS2, which was only vaguely useful in MGS to let you slowly ease off the trigger.

>>341439862
Good luck moving in anything but 8 cardinal directions, at either high or low speed. I guess you could combine those features to get 16 directions if you're really fucking good at half-pressing one button while holding another, or you could just grow a fucking brain and use the shift modifier.
>>
>>341439117
Hot
>>
>>341440171
>or you could just grow a fucking brain and use the shift modifier.

But that only give you two speeds.
>>
It's going to be shit, it's pretty difficult to keep a key half-pressed and be comfortable
>>
It's analog in what sense? As opposed to being digital? Isn't it still sending digital signal? Can someone explain this. Is it just keys that measure velocity of how hard you hit them?
>>
>>341439053
It's going to be completely unsupported
>>
>>341439053
Literally the ONLY thing I have ever given console gaming is the use of analog controls in case I want to move somewhere inbetween "slow as fuck" and "overshoot everything". Toggling running as ON or OFF is pretty shit, this might actually help a bit but I doubt many games will support it.
>>
It's hot, but I fear that since it uses it's own custom switches from a third party it might cost like $200.
>>
>>341440640
They claim it will work with every existing game on the market.
>>
>>341440451
It's not realistic to expect more than 2 speeds from this. Just use your keyboard right now, and see how easy it is to keep a key half-pressed. That's the 0 setting on these switches, anything above that doesn't register. Now try and linearly move it downwards until the bottom out point, and return to the half-press position.

You'll quickly learn that this action is incredibly awkward, and your finger will very often twitch out and go to full bottom. Precise control is almost impossible, which is why face buttons on controllers were modulated not by moving the thumb up and down, but by tilting or sliding it on and off the button.
>>
I assume it will be able to turn on and off

typing with a pressure sensitive keyboard will probably feel like shit
>>
>>341440767
Of course they would claim that, they want to fund and then sell these things
>>
>>341440171

>really fucking good at half-pressing one button

A key press is a key press, you can't say it's only half
>>
>>341440554
I have cherry mx blacks in my keyboard and its actually easy to keep a half press.
I could see this working fine but would it find wide spread adoption? Fuck no
>>
>/g/
>>
>>341440171
No the feature is the benefit of analogue movement in games which keyboards don't have, like driving games, where your input for stuff like steering or accelerating is either 0 or 100%. It was an issue I noticed in MGSV as well when I went from controller to keyboard you could only either slow walk at the slowest dogshit pace which enemies walked faster than or you could crouch walk at the fastest pace which was loud as fuck and they'd hear you from 10 meters away. So sneaking behind an enemy was painful, but with analogue you could just slow walk at the medium pace and take fucks down normally.

That's about the only benefit this shit offers, seems really not worth it to me personally but depending on the price and quality it might be ok.
>>
File: 1424881148112.jpg (11 KB, 249x241) Image search: [Google]
1424881148112.jpg
11 KB, 249x241
>meme technology
>muh niche audience

You people are fucking disgusting.
>>
>>341440837
Wouldn't the keys be less bouncy?
>>
>>341440690
The custom switches are a poor quality cherry clone with a little stick glued to the bottom. I wouldn't use them even without the analog feature. They're being produced in China, where none of the men have any experience doing business, so expect insane delays and switches that aren't remotely smooth because the tolerances won't be as reported when they get the first batch from the first 5 companies they contract out to make them.

>>341441103
That's the fault of a shoddy port. This would actually make it far harder to maintain a constant speed, you'd be much better off with something like a spacemouse. That's a product I'd be interested in, a cheap analog solution that's basically a palm operated joystick with buttons around it for all your standard gaming functions.
>>
>>341441103
>It was an issue I noticed in MGSV as well when I went from controller to keyboard you could only either slow walk at the slowest dogshit pace which enemies walked faster than or you could crouch walk at the fastest pace which was loud as fuck and they'd hear you from 10 meters away. So sneaking behind an enemy was painful, but with analogue you could just slow walk at the medium pace and take fucks down normally.

Don't count on this keyboard fixing that in MGSV, it doesn't simultaneous controller and mouse. Trust me, I was disappointed when I tried it on the Steam Controller.
>>
>>341441360
What? They still have the same springs in them. The issue isn't the bounce of the spring, it's that fingers are not designed for, or good at, precise linear movement. That's why buttons are a case of on or off, because half-on is a very hard state to maintain.
>>
>>341441391
>That's the fault of a shoddy port.

How would you impart a full range of motion speeds onto a regular keyboard?

>What analogue doesn't translate to keys well? Shit port.
>>
>>341439053
That sounds cool but I'd like to hear about the price. I'm not going to spend $200 on a damn keyboard.
>>
>>341439053
what's the different from mechanical keyboard?
>>
Looks like some shitty "innovation". Why fix what ain't broke?
>>
>>341441584
One key for the medium speed where you won't be heard, one key for the low speed. I don't know how MGS was mapped, but it'd be very easy to have a half-speed toggle button, and that would solve all the issues.
>>
>>341441717
Analog input one selected keys rather then binary. See >>341439117
>>
Sounds expensive.
>>
>>341439053
>keys spaced 2cm of each other to accommodate the sensors
>requires USB3.1
>extremely specific drivers
>no games support it
>>
>>341440594
As in you can 0... 100% press the button, like how you can move an analog stick on a controller from the 0 (center) to 100% (outside edge)
>>
>>341442001
But I/0 is what makes most things with a keyboard feel good. Making it gradually press will remove that
>>
>>341439053
Imagine the stupid drivers this thing will have to use.

Fucking retarded, should just stick to regular mechanical switches.
>>
>>341439117
Is it me or is it getting hot in here?
>>
>>341439117
By the way, this image is a complete bullshot, and isn't remotely indicative of the way the buttons actually operate.

The analog part doesn't start operating until 2mm have passed. That's far enough to activate the button normally. Imagine an analog stick with a deadzone over half of its movement, and you'd come close to understanding how shitty this concept is. Well, not really, because at least an analog stick uses your thumb and would still have twice the precision of this.

It's just marketing buzzwords and "wouldn't it be cool?" ideaguys with no idea what they're talking about. Or they do know what they're talking about, realise it's trash, and want to make a quick buck off kickstarter idiots who buy into anything that sounds cool.
>>
No, it's fucking retarded, serves no purpose and will have severe problems when used for text typing.
>>
>>341439908
A lot of games support analog inputs, considering they can be played with a gamepad.
>>
program the "pressure sensitive controls" to be multiple taps of the key, like how a touchpad on a laptops works

for racing games speed can be "stepped" up to or down to a certain limit based on how many times the accelerate, decelerate key was tapped
>>
>>341442182
>map buttons to xinput device
>config those buttons via generic hid device
what a fucking nightmare
>>
You don't release this kind of thing without any software backing it.

It's going to bomb so hard because there's literally 0 use for it.
>>
>>341440929
Any game that supports a controller would support it
>>
>>341441535
Pressing keys on a standard KB isn't smooth because of the design. Probably, rubber is initially preventing the key from being pressed. An analog keyboard wouldn't be designed like that. It would just have the spring.
>>
just want to point out too that pressure sensitive controls is due to lack of buttons as options on controllers
>>
>>341443096
I'm sorry you have a shitty membrane board, I was talking about the mechanical sat right in front of me with the red keys these guys are ripping off.

Key presses are smooth, keeping constant or gradiating force using a finger on a key is painful and slow.
>>
I'm not even going to bother writing up why this is retarded and will fail, but please don't give these guys your money
>>
File: 132.jpg (188 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
188 KB, 658x370
Yeah, i don't buy it. looks like only racing games would benefit from it, most shooters, strategy games and other games where keyboard is more beneficial would only suffer. I don't really need "precise" movement in 99% of the situations, but the way it works may and probably will hinder my overall performance
>>
I can't think of a game that could even use an analog keyboard properly. What would these be used for, "bash your face into the keyboard as hard as you can" simulators?
>>
>>341443880
>looks like only racing games would benefit from it
Except they'd be a thousand times better with a controller, and a million times better with a wheel.
>>
If they did make this analog keyboard what use will it have?

>W key for racing games
>...
>>
>>341444271
Actually I think it might be comfortable enough to conquest a controller after you'd get used to it.
But yeah steering wheel > anything anyway.
>>
>>341444271
Not every racing game would benefit from a wheel
>>
>>341439053

ALL of the buttons are analog?

no this is a terribly stupid idea just like replacing every button on a controller with analog sticks would be a stupid idea

why haven't they thought of just adding an analog joystick to the side of keyboards yet?
>>
>>341444517
Just wasd and some other surrounding keys.
>>
>>341441360
The keys are exactly the same, they way the keyboard works is it uses light sensors to detect how far a key is pressed.
>>
>>341444339
Controlling how far you lean in an FPS
>>
>>341444428
You'd have an insane dead-zone as noted previously, almost no precision in movement, and you wouldn't even have triggers for accel and brake.

It'd be impossibly inferior. I'd actually go as far as to say you'd probably be better off with the current feathering approach of tapping a direction multiple times to limit your turning radius on a keyboard.

>>341444456
Fair enough, but the controller point still stands.
>>
>>341443880
>I don't really need "precise" movement
Thats the thing though, as M+KB users we've compensated for bad movement by just pointing our more precise mouse to aim us when we need to move precisely. With this we wouldn't have to adjust our crosshairs to move a certain way.
>>
Sounds even more gimmicky than one of these.
>>
File: CHECK_MY_RITES.jpg (57 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
CHECK_MY_RITES.jpg
57 KB, 728x546
>>341442325
Your bullshit is bullshit, PS2 Analogue buttons worked in exactly the same way you described and they did it well. If you're attempting to claim that an analogue keyboard should actually be an analogue triggerboard then I would kindly make a jape on your behalf about endorsing the mindless prattle of 16-25 year olds pretending to have fits over toilet seats being left up instead of wholesale slaughter, genocide, mass poverty and various global threats of the like which humanity has never known until now.

Seriously, "imagine a analogue stick" listen to yourself man, pull yourself together. They're buttons, You definitely have a point in regards to the cursor WSAD but let's not pretend that the mechanical concept of analogue buttons isn't viable.

There are lots of other really great reasons to dismiss this trash: Likely lack of interest or support for a niche item that nobody else will try to copy, likely lack of build quality or quick decay of the analogue feature of buttons (because you're going to have to make every key analogue instead of making a few buttons analogue, it stands to reason that you are spending your budget more sparingly per buttons.

Know what I want? What would get me off my office chair and into my wallet? Eight, my friend.
>>
>>341444776
>deadzone
How if from untapped to bottomed out it checks the pressure?
>no precision in movement
You'd get used to semi-pressing the buttons, that's the point of the keyboard
>you wouldn't have triggers for accel and brake
But you'd have the keys with pressure you can do that with.
>>
>>341443265

this is pretty much entirely incorrect

basically anything that requires finesse in terms of control can benefit from pressure sensitive controls as demonstrated by many physical machines

the truth is the only reason keyboards don't usually have any pressure sensitive controls at all is because they were obviously made for typing not playing games or controlling anything complex at all
unless you really think that somehow typewriters were made for playing games
>>
>>341445108
Does that thing actually work? I'm tempted to try it because I would love to be able to joystick move while still having access to a large amount of key inputs for abilities, menus, etc.
>>
>>341441284
this
>>
>>341445108
had the original version of this (Belkin n52te), and it's great for laptop use when not needing an actual keyboard
>>
>>341444701

>>341443096
>>
>>341439053
Sounds like shit desu.
If it was viable it would've been done already.
>>
>>341442125
According to the description you can switch between analog and digital in their config tool.
>>
>>341445435
>PS2 Analogue buttons worked in exactly the same way you described and they did it well.
Clearly you've never used one. The PS2 buttons have a ~1mm rubber pad for a sharp, clicky feeling button. And then under that, they had a resistive quality of half a mm or so to allow modulation of intensity. The feeling of these keyboard keys is entirely linear.

The PS2 buttons really weren't useful in 99% of games, and nobody would ever suggest that you use them for movement. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Analog sticks are used for movement. These shitty keys are supposed to be used for the same thing.

If these keys had a 0-4mm range, I might understand their value. As they stand, they're a complete retarded gimmick.

>>341445552
>How if from untapped to bottomed out it checks the pressure?
It doesn't. They say so multiple times, although it's carefully hidden in the FAQ.
>But you'd have the keys with pressure you can do that with.
And they'd be vastly inferior. Nobody used X for acceleration in GT3, they mapped it to the triggers.
>>
Nobody is going to adopt it for a lot of factors. What inputs would use it? How many users will have said keyboards? It's a very small amount of distance of activation. In multiplayer games how do you manage users with and without? The analog tracking isn't even the full key press which is the major issue
>>
>>341446481
Dualshock2 didn't have triggers, they were still buttons, but they were analog buttons.
>>
>>341439053
>>analog keyboard
>analog WASD, shift, ctrl, alt.
Fixed.
>>
>>341446481
>And they'd be vastly inferior. Nobody used X for acceleration in GT3, they mapped it to the triggers.
So you're saying that the X button was actually analog and was pressure-sensitive? I am pretty much positive that's wrong, and is not the case here. You have a much larger travel distance here as well.
>>
>>341446528
Most videogames are developed with analog support for movement now. Even FPS games are designed to be played with a gamepad these days, let alone other 3D action games.
>>
>>341445906
>not reading filenames

It's not a joystick, it's a D-Pad. It's awkward for movement given the angle it's on. Main selling point is that it's comfortable, but if a game you want to play uses more than 20 keys then you're kind of fucked. I guess you could use it for hotkeys for some games?

It's Razer too, remember that you'd be paying a lot of money for one quarter of a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blues that won't 100% replace your keyboard usage in games. The same money could be used to buy yourself a reasonably good, full-sized mechanical keyboard that isn't ricer as fuck and actually has a switch better suited for gaming and not typing.
>>
>>341439053
It's a decent idea, but with such a small travel distance keys have, which is like 3-4 mm, keeping it pressed half way precisely seems like a nightmare.
It would put huge strain on your hand by doing in constantly. It's not like pushing a stick.
>>
>>341439053
Analog controls are utter shit for any game that isn't a driving simulator, and even then, they need to be a simulator. You can play arcade titles like the Burnouts with digital controls perfectly well.
>>
>>341446706
People have been calling them triggers for decades, quit being autistic. The feel of the triggers is much more linear than the face buttons, and far more comfortable for holding for prolonged periods.

>>341446857
>So you're saying that the X button was actually analog and was pressure-sensitive?
Yes, you dumb fuck. Great job not knowing anything about the PS2.

The longer travel distance here isn't the problem. There are 2 potential solutions to the issues here. Either throw these buttons in the trash and develop something with complete analog coverage from 0-4mm instead of 2-4mm, or add resistance at the activation point to make the analog area obvious through tactility, while also making them dogshit for typing.
>>
>>341446921
Damn, do you know anything like this that is an actual analog stick? I play games like Dark Souls a lot where my movement and positioning is important. Obviously I won't use it for typing but I hate switching to a controller and having to make a claw in order to move, look, and use an item at the same time.
>>
>>341447218
Sue me for not knowing anything about shitty consoles.
>>
>>341447218
>quit being autistic
Your argument just fell apart.
>>
I dont see the point of this. Most games already have a dedicated walk/jog button for keyboard which works absuletely fine.
>>
File: Capture.png (426 KB, 1096x512) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
426 KB, 1096x512
>funding hardware shit on kickstarter

Every "innovative technology" type of kickstarter has been shit
They couldn't even deliver this, a fucking cooler

Might as well buy overwatch copies for /v/ instead, it's a better use of cash
>>
>>341447770
How do people even find this shit?
I mean do they just randomly browse scamstarter like you would youtube and donate to stuff that seems interesting to them left and right because that's the only way some of this shit is getting funded?
>>
Anyone who's been forced to deal with Dual Shock analog face buttons will tell you this shit doesn't work.

With that said, PC could use an analog stick for movement.
>>
File: boned.jpg (38 KB, 959x502) Image search: [Google]
boned.jpg
38 KB, 959x502
>>341447256
>Obviously I won't use it for typing but I hate switching to a controller and having to make a claw in order to move, look, and use an item at the same time

If remapping won't do, something like paddles on the underside of a controller could work. The problem is that such a thing isn't so cheap, and as of now Microsoft's pricey solution only allows paddle remapping on Windows 10; otherwise the paddles default to ABXY. Very nice controller otherwise, but holy shit it's expensive.

Don't know how Windows-friendly the third-party options are.
>>
>>341439053
genius! now instead of having claibration issues fuck up just 1 analog stick, now it can fuck up over 80 keys! just take my money right now senpai
>>
This will be closer to analogue face buttons rather than an analogue stick. And analogue face buttons are pointless.
>>
>>341439053

it's a cool gimmick, and an expensive one until it becomes standardized

for most games, you would only really use it for movement, and it would be only semi-analog at that point because you're still restricted to 8 directions of movement

also, pressing two keys to go diagonal might fuck with you, trying to maintain pressures between the two, but i could be wrong
>>
seems like it would result in major input delay
>>
File: 962.png (179 KB, 700x1094) Image search: [Google]
962.png
179 KB, 700x1094
>>341447770
>$13,285,226
>thirteen millions
>>
>>341448813
Isn't it more along the lines of 16 directions if it's semi-analog?
>>
>>341447946
iDubbbz (youtube channel) has an entire playlist of him reviewing shitty kickstarter projects.

I'm sure he isn't the only one
>>
>>341449054
>>341447946
Does anyone know how many people started some shitty campaign, took all the funds, declared that the project hit the shitter, (maybe also pulled a Prince, y'know becoming a new legal entity and letting the encumbered one die by namechange,) and ran?
>>
Looks like a solution without the problem.
>>
>>341449521
You don't need to go that far, just tell everyone that the sun told you to stop working on the product so you can't finish it.
>>
>>341450334
Just like all that shit you see in infomercials!
>>
5 games that will support it at most if the kickstarter is actually succesful.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.