[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>weapon durability >master sword breaks after 30 uses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 211x367) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 211x367
>weapon durability
>master sword breaks after 30 uses
>>
>legendary weapon used in countless wars
>breaks in 5 hits
>>
File: 1464811459185.jpg (10 KB, 305x210) Image search: [Google]
1464811459185.jpg
10 KB, 305x210
>golden gun has 1 bullet
>can kill with one hit
>>
>>341406279
It comes broken. To beat the game, you have to kill Ganon first then slide it up his ass.
>>
This is the fucking worst kind of durability system possible.

I'm gonna be carrying around like 20 wooden clubs and only using them because I don't want to break a good weapon fighting regular enemies.
>>
>Gun does +10~20% more damage than previous one
>Ammo count slashed by half
>Need a backpack for extra ammo
>>
File: gfs_115491_2_21.jpg (28 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
gfs_115491_2_21.jpg
28 KB, 480x272
>>341406452

These systems can work out if done correctly. Pic related is an example. Lots of limited use swords but can use fists if you want to and starts giving you unlimited use swords after progressing through enough of the game
>>
>>341407218
what game is this? it looks familiar
>>
>>341407362
HERE U GO ANON :^)
>>
>>341407218
No
There is no excuse for durability systems except as a holdover from MMOs as a resource and time sink. There is nothing that they add. Dont give me bullshit about immersion. It is a terrible fucking system that needs to be completely removed from gaming not added to existing series that have never used it before.
>>
>>341407608
i didn't think you could do the google search on that 'cause i thought it was someone's screen shot. thanks for spoonfeeding.
>>
File: 129791361355.jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
129791361355.jpg
17 KB, 320x320
>every weapon is the giant's knife
>>
>misinformation
>>
>>341407827
>the good weapons are the Razor Blade
>>
>>341406279
Good, Master Sword deserves it for ruining the Zelda series.

Magical Sword for life.
>>
>>341407218
funny, i was just playing this 2 weeks ago on a whim and its an obscure game
>>
>>341407218
I really liked how that handled it
unlimited durability weapons were often the prize for filling out the map which I loved doing
>>
>implying you will be able to kill mid/end game enemies with wooden clubs

Theres a reason they have attack power, just throw the shit out of your wepons to them if you dont want to waste uses or do stealth kills or arrow the shit out of them anon
>>
>>341407612

The whole point of weapon durability is a design mechanism that replicates reality's limitation to some extent that has some use in not making a character be able to do things that would trivialize gameplay too easily, such as in this case, being able to collect a huge amount of weapons and just selling them for cash to save up for good items too easily. It's in the same category as inventory systems, weight systems, stamina, hunger, etc.

I'm not as to suggest as you have that these design characteristics are horrible and should be removed from all games but they do have a purpose. Being that they are tricky design choices that can screw up a game easily with misuse or not enough planning in the gameplay department, including them can make or break a game.
>>
>>341408862
Zelda doesn't need durability on weapons, its stupid. Zelda was never a "you came this far but your resources are drained and cant fight on". You could shit on jars until you needed what you needed and then went on your way.

Now its some vain attempt at depth and "realism". I have no fucking clue why they went with this. You say its so they don't sell weapons? When could you ever do that in a Zelda game anyway?
>>
>>341409108
>You could shit on jars until you needed what you needed and then went on your way.

That's when Zelda turned to shit: when boss rooms were littered with pots that had all the items you ever needed, cutting grass solved all your problems, and bombs literally grew from the ground.

Resource management needed to return to Zelda. I'm glad there's so much influence from the first game in what I see of this one.
>>
File: Cirno.jpg (117 KB, 709x558) Image search: [Google]
Cirno.jpg
117 KB, 709x558
>have over 10,000 Strength
>weapon breaks after one hit
>>
>amazing cool weapon
>can't repair it with anything because it's unique
>>
>>341409108

If we knew the full scope of how the game worked when it comes to weapons, then maybe it can be characterized as such, but for now, we have no clue.

As we have seen so far, nothing has really indicated that weapon durability needed to be done or should have be done so I do agree with you that it seems out of place. However, they are trying to reinvent the game in an "open-world" environment so I have no clue what else they are factoring into including this.
>>
>Nintendo finds a way to cripple the end game sword because someone will inevitably find a way to get it after 1 hour of game play
>they pick a durability system over spawning the damn thing after some boss is defeated
> Nintards defend it
Why are you all looking forward to a "new" game. Zelda is a pig that has been painted so many times the poor thing died years ago and only the people who cry over nostalgia can't seem to smell it.
>>
>>341408862
Orororor
You could just removed weapon durability entirely and have static weapons with better stats. The better the stats are what will make you switch not durability. This is almost always the objectively better design choice.
It is very very very rare for weapon durability to be done well and fire emblem is the only game I can think of that does it well and nothing I have seen makes me think this durabilitt system is anything but trash.
>>
File: 1329450546937.gif (60 KB, 651x567) Image search: [Google]
1329450546937.gif
60 KB, 651x567
>>341409771
Open world works only if its like a link to the past or ages/seasons if you ask me. Even then its kinda iffy because those games force you to take a hard coded route. That didn't make the game bad, just semi-linear. You had to get there after all and there was a lot of distraction.

Now it seems more barren and too open yet still inclining the player to continue the story. Its essentially Farcry 3.

Farcry 3 had a large world too, really large. The problem was getting equips upgraded to max before half of the game was done. If its too open the player might skip challenging areas and get the good shit before long.

I don't see it working out, especially since the last Zelda game sucked shit.
>>
>>341406279
Master Sword will probably be the only thing that doesn't break.
>>
>>341409108
But till yesterday you fucks complained all day about Zelda being sword - > master sword without any kind of decent variety.
This game is trying to fix that and fix dungeons too.
>>
>>341410418
Nothing was broken in twilight princess or if I could say technically, WW as well (just too much filler).

They're just trying to reinvent the wheel while other games reinvented it the same way months and years ago. I think nintendo is too fucking out of touch and they believe the next logical step is this. Lets just say the way Nintendo handled Metroid, they're determined to ruin everything and I predict another SS.
>>
>>341410724
They're not reinventing the wheel

The problem is that Zelda was no longer a wheel, and instead turned into something that just didn't work. At long last, it's back to being what it originally was: an open world adventure about exploring, freedom, and making the game as hard as or as easy on yourself as you want to.
>>
File: anon plays morrowind.png (119 KB, 721x355) Image search: [Google]
anon plays morrowind.png
119 KB, 721x355
>>341409512
>>
>>341410804
This isn't a grass roots Zelda game. Its full of modernized concepts and out of place stat shit. Its open as much as getting past an invisible wall to explore the LOD is open. Instead of an adventure its a themepark with RPG elements that add nothing to Zelda.

If you don't agree, tell me exactly what wearing armor with stats adds? Changing it out for better ones and discarding with total abandon the old cloth shit you found at the beginning.
>>
>>341411070
Sounds like Zelda to me.
>>
>>341408862
this is so cringe amd wrong
>>
>>341411070
it gives a feeling of progression, customization, and adds depth to the combat system

maybe for some enemies you need a specific armor type

maybe for other enemies you don't

maybe you just want to wear plate armor because it looks bad fucking ass

maybe you want to go naked because you're a cheeky fucker good enough to murder ganon in nothing but your dick and balls with a tree branch
>>
>>341411410
The progression in Zelda was always the array of tools you could use to handle bosses/dungeons differently, not the sick hammer that did 3 more damage than the steel sword.

That sort of shit just reminds me of GOOD games that i'd rather play and not babby's first sandbox.
>>
>>341411328

Why type up a single line contrary position on someone else's more lengthy and reasonably written statement if you aren't willing to dive into the reasons why? I have no reason to believe or take your position at all.
>>
Nintendrones are foaming at the mouth nuts right now.

>Durability is shit in games
>Not enough challenge in previous games.

What the fuck do you want? Everyone complains about 3d Zelda style, and now we have a 3d Zelda homing to the classic NES style Zelda, original Zelda.

The fuck do you want?
>>
>>341411582
they still have the array of tools though. It's just that now you can use the tools from dungeons in the entire world.

are you actually angry they took an element from other games--upgrading weapon attack power to counter upgraded enemy ferocity--and added that ON TOP of the upgrade to functionality through different unique items you get in dungeons? Why?
>>
>>341411796
Silly anon. Anything that came out before OoT doesn't exist to /v/. Hell, the majority of its userbase's first Zelda game was Wind Waker.

The NES Zeldas are just too "cryptic" and "clunky" and "aged poorly" don't you know.
>>
>>341411796
>/v/
>knowing what it wants
>>
>>341406279
Lol you guys are so retarded. Obviously the Master Sword won't break so you wont have to use wooden clubs at that point in the game. There are probably even stronger swords in the game that do break, so you're gonna have to choose to use the unbreakable Master Sword or more powerful but durable Bigoron For example.
>>
>>341411796
>fanbase doesn't know what they want
What a shocker!
>>
File: 1326950357586.jpg (34 KB, 436x354) Image search: [Google]
1326950357586.jpg
34 KB, 436x354
>>341411796
>you know what zelda needs?
>durability
said no one ever
>>
>>341411971
I honestly don't understand it. Why do they want to do a dungeon adventure game in such a linear fashion, as the previous couple of (not as good) titles have been?

Why freak out and praise the fight where they used wind mechanics and fire to wipe out those enemies, but then gripe about durability and putting realism in the game? Sorta hypocritical.

Maybe I'm just excited because I enjoy exploration in RPGs and survival mechanics. And I also liked the challenge of the 2d Zelda games, and the more freedom you had.
>>
>>341412382
because durability is shit and wind mechanics are cool
>>
File: MM3D_Razor_Sword.png (9 KB, 149x138) Image search: [Google]
MM3D_Razor_Sword.png
9 KB, 149x138
>>341406279
>>
File: B_BrokenBiggoronsSword.gif (6 KB, 152x132) Image search: [Google]
B_BrokenBiggoronsSword.gif
6 KB, 152x132
>>341406449
>>
>>341412260
Why implement a crafting system at all if you don't have durability?

As long as more complicated items like the Master Sword can be repaired before you wear them down. I suspect you can, and the method of repair is in the villages and communities not shown in e3, so that is why it wasn't shown.
>>
>>341407218
I loved Brandish 1 and that Brandish 2 fan translation for the SNES. I never played the PSP remake though.

I hope the other Brandish games get translated some day. It's really an underrated series
>>
>>341412143
Nice try there trollfag
>>
>>341412582
I've played a slew of games with durability and all it does is add extra challenge, and cause you to keep track of your gear and what you do with it.

If you have a more complex item and armor setup, it makes sense. It also gives internal currency another value instead of the player character carrying 9999999999 currency in their wallet. For the past few Zelda games you could get by without worrying about your wallet. And in a survival style game, every bit of money counts.
>>
>>341412740
>Why implement a crafting system at all if you don't have durability?
to craft items?
durability just seems like a way to pad the game out by making people constantly scavenge for weapons
I'm really hoping a good deal of later weapons are unbreakable
>>
>>341412740
>Why implement a crafting system at all
indeed
>>
You won't be able to pull the master sword until you're ready to fight the last boss.

>>341406452
You'll find a spot that has a re spawning enemy that drops a good weapon.
>>
File: 1328341426820.jpg (97 KB, 828x558) Image search: [Google]
1328341426820.jpg
97 KB, 828x558
>>341413480
>You'll find a spot that has a re spawning enemy that drops a good weapon.
what the fuck is the point then?

they just replaced going about your fucking business and PLAYING THE GAME to camping enemies for weapons on top of magic pots and bombs.

what next? you get poisoned and need to craft antidote potions? or how about add a fuckton of potions that you can drink that you need to harvest materials for.

nintenyearolds deserved this game
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.