[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have never played a Zelda game in my life. With all the hype
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11
File: 1449892235211.jpg (1 MB, 951x1694) Image search: [Google]
1449892235211.jpg
1 MB, 951x1694
I have never played a Zelda game in my life.

With all the hype threads I've seen today I've decided to give it a go.

What's a good starting point? Where do I go from there?
>>
OoT for 3D, LttP or Links Awakening for 2d
>>
start with the cdi ones
>>
>>341405687
brehs
>>
video games are a meme no one actually plays them
>>
>>341405687
Tits or GTFO
>>
File: Angry Gay Furry.png (113 KB, 505x490) Image search: [Google]
Angry Gay Furry.png
113 KB, 505x490
VIDEO GAMES
>>
>>341405848
>"haha guys, am i fitting in? >:^)"
>>
>>341405687
I would kick the left one square in the neck.
>>
>>341405687
OOT is the one the oldfags, myself included, grew up with, but it'll be unpleasant because poor 3D graphics will be intolerable for you.

LTTP, then OOT, then WW.
>>
ALttP and OoT, doesn't matter which one first but play both. After that play Zelda 1, then do whatever you want.
>>
>>341405745
Yeah I agree with this. Play Ocarina before the other 3D games, it's the legend that ties them all together. After that just go by whichever art style seems to appeal to you most, or go by release date
>>
Don't play any of them.
>>
>>341406224
>OOT
>oldfag

Okay buddy
>>
>>341405745
/thread
finish up with seasons and ages
MM and the original zeldas and play binding of isaac to finish it up
the rest is shit.
>>
Links Pro
Links Championship Course: Valhalla
Links LS 1999
>>
>>341405918
Hahaha
Corporations own the board!!
>>
>>341406417
If he was a true oldfag
he would say fuck windwaker because thats where the games went down hill
>>
>>341406682

This. I wouldn't consider WW an essential Zelda by any means.
>>
>>341406682
what's wrong with windwaker?
>>
>>341405819
stop being a nigger
>>
>>341407415
for one
It feels like enemies damage half as much as OOT and MM
then I love the fact that I can almost kill anything in a few hits and the game becomes casual with slashes that kill in one hit

With every upgrade i thought the enemies were going to change their attacks like how old nintendo would design their games

I was let down because I was a super saiyan and i was only fighting hercules as my enemies.
>>
Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons are the only Zelda games that are good and haven't aged like shit.
>>
I would recommend starting with the 3D games because they're easier and they're more popular. Ocarina of Time is a good starting point, because for many people it is the definitive Zelda game, and it's also very basic in its concepts and gameplay mechanics.

Majora's Mask is very polarizing; you always see this OoT vs. MM debate across the internet. Compared to OoT, it has a darker atmosphere, more difficult puzzles, and is more side quest oriented than OoT. If you like the concepts laid out in OoT, you should move onto MM and see what you think of it next. But it's not a good starting point because it's more complicated than Ocarina.

Wind Waker is really basic and easy, and has long boring sailing distances. This game is all about charm and art style. I don't like it, but you should play it and see what you think of it for yourself. It's worth beating it at least once, just for the sake of playing through it and forming your own opinion on it.

Twilight Princess has the best combat, the best exploration, the best story / writing / characters, etc. I think it's the best 3D Zelda. It could also be a good starting point because it isn't that complicated of a game.

Skyward Sword has good combat and is underrated. People shit on it because of the motion controls. It's actually a pretty damn solid game.

Basically, you could start anywhere in the 3D games, except for Majora's Mask. MM should be played though because it's a good game, but I would highly recommend playing OoT before you play MM.
>>
>>341407721
Forgetting ALTTP
>>
File: d.jpg (987 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
987 KB, 5000x5000
wow this is the most summer thread i have seen in a while.
fucking disgusting.
>>
>>341408168
>Summer thread
Only Neo Nintendo consumers are allowed here!!
>>
LTTP or MM for 3ds
>>
>>341408389
Nah play the og it is better
Does not have marks on all the enemies
>>
>>341407941
>Skyward Sword has good combat and is underrated. People shit on it because of the motion controls. It's actually a pretty damn solid game.
Speaking as someone who liked SS, motion controls are the least of its problems.

The extreme handholding and terrible sky "overworld" was much worse.
>>
>>341408104
ALTTP has aged poorly.
>>
>>341408523
Superior gameplay than most of the other zeldas

>aged horribly

No
you just never played it when it came out on snes.
>>
>>341408523
not at all
>>
>>341405687
Start from Skyward Sword. It's objectively the best, and first in the storyline.
>>
Anybody else appreciate a smile that doesn't include the gums?
>>
>>341408523
OoT has aged poorly imo - LTTP is 2d perfection like saying Super Mario World has aged poorly - it's just not possible
>>
>>341407941
I would also recommend trudging through the original NES Zelda at some point, just for the sake of being able to say you've beaten it. I would recommend using a guide so you can get through the game more quickly, because some of the stuff is so obscure you wouldn't be able to discover it yourself without hours and hours of senseless exploration. For example, to get into the final dungeon, you'd have to basically just randomly bomb rocks until you happen to discover it. There's no crack in the wall, indicating that the wall can be bombed, and this could be anywhere in the entire game world. People will say I'm a fag for recommending a guide, but some of the stuff is just way too obscure. It's worth playing through the game and seeing everything it has to offer, but spending more than a few days on this game would be hell.

Link to the Past is an improvement over the original in every way, AND is one of the best games in the series. I would definitely recommend playing it at some point.

You may even want to play through Zelda 2, but again it's a game that you'll probably want to use a guide on. I've beaten it, and being able to say you've beaten it is very satisfying. It also actually has a lot of cool stuff later in the game so it's worth seeing everything the game has to offer. This would be the worst starting point to the series but it may be an interesting challenge if you really get into the series.

Overall, I'd recommend checking them all out, even the ones I personally don't like, because they all bring something different to the series and everybody has a different opinion on which ones are good and which ones are bad. Start with any of the 3D Zelda games other than Majora's Mask.
>>
File: le summer meme.jpg (105 KB, 960x886) Image search: [Google]
le summer meme.jpg
105 KB, 960x886
>>341408168

nice attempt to fit in
>>
>>341405687
I would say A Link to the Past and Wind Waker.
>>
>>341408498
>The extreme handholding
This was annoying, but I would argue that the real appeal of the game is the combat, not the puzzles.
>and terrible sky "overworld" was much worse.
I never understand why people say this. It's nothing compared to WW's ocean. It only takes 2 minutes to get from place to place.
>>
>>341408860
u sound like a summer fag. fag.
>>
>>341408619
My friend had it and we beat it together when we were like 12. It's just not good. I barely liked it at the time.

The world is empty as fuck with just one town, and all the dungeons mostly consist of huge empty rooms and like half of them are pointless.
>>
>>341405687
What took you so long?

I'm not even a big Nintendo or Zelda fan but in the 31 years of my life i've still managed to play eight different games in the franchise.
>>
>>341409001
B T F O !
T
F
O
!
>>
>>341408995
>but I would argue that the real appeal of the game is the combat, not the puzzles.
Sure, but that doesnt mean fi's interruptions don't hamper the experience greatly.
It's not like they're optional. They come up regardless if you're there for the combat or not.
>>
File: 1370505946562.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1370505946562.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>>341409093
>31 years
>on 4chan

please tell me this is a ruse
>>
>>341409058
>The world is empty as fuck
Are you kidding me?!
It sounds like you're describing OoT, bro. ALTTP had secrets or something you could do on damn near every screen on the overworld. It wasn't even remotely "empty," and especially not compared to later games.
>>
>>341409298
I came here when I was 23. You never leave no matter how many times you try to.
>>
File: 1465266147775.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
1465266147775.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
Thanks everybody I have decided to go in this order

WW
OoT
SS
ALttP
TP
MM
>>
>>341408995
>the real appeal of the game is combat
i seriously hope nobody thinks this because the combat is ass

motion controls ruin it, from shitty sword swing detection to all the items where you have to aim with the dildo using relative fucking tracking, the stamina bar doesn't add challenge, only tedium, the enemies themselves are standard fare, and the only legitimately challenging encounter are an optional boss rush at the ass end of the game, and that's only because of the inherent difficulty of a boss rush, rather than the enemy design

> It only takes 2 minutes to get from place to place
2 minutes of fucking nothing, not one goddamn thing, except occasionally flicking your wrist to make it take 1 minute and 59 seconds instead of 2. For god's sake, why the fuck did they cap the boosts at 3? At least let me boost forever in the empty, boring sky. God, 2 minutes of doing literally nothing is acceptable to people? Especially when it's 2 minutes everytime you want to go ANYWHERE?
>>
>>341405687
>>What's a good starting point? Where do I go from there?
start with the new one. it looks awesome
>>
I love ALttP, but I think OoT and MM are both much superior. I'd start with OoT and then MM. Both have aged fantastically well. I never finished TP. It's probably the most similar to OoT/MM, without the "magic". In the same way a lot of Zelda clones are lacking. I think a lot has to do with the fact that it's young link for the most part and the adventures had that sort of charm when playing from that perspective, but the game worlds felt far better in OoT and MM than TP as well. Windwaker is its own thing using the Zelda formula. I didn't finish it, but have plans to go back. Haven't got around to SS yet.

I think this upcoming Zelda will feel more in line with the newer Zelda games rather than OoT/MM, but it looks amazing. Hard to get a read on the tone of the game though, especially without showing villages and inhabitants.

But yeah, start with OoT. If you really enjoy Zelda, ALttP and ALBW are awesome too, but I feel a lot of the intricacies of the world are lost in those games.
>>
File: zelda dungeon comparison.jpg (1 MB, 2526x1102) Image search: [Google]
zelda dungeon comparison.jpg
1 MB, 2526x1102
>>341409491
By empty I mean it was not inhabited. The dungeons were there for no reason. There was no context.

In the Game Boy Zelda games almost every dungeon had a back story, a purpose. There were multiple towns and interesting characters. The dungeons had personality.

In ALTTP you just run from dungeon to dungeon, and the dungeons are bland.

Look at this shit. An entire dungeon in Link's Awakening can fit into one floor of a LTTP dungeon (if this image was scaled correctly), and it's still longer. Level design at it's finest. No wasted space, no filler.
>>
>>341405918
>"haha guys, am i fitting in? >:^)"

The person you replied to IS in fact fitting in. They probably want to masturbate right now, and it is in fact YOU who is a faggot.
>>
>>341409298
W-whats wrong with that?
>>
File: 1456691287764.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1456691287764.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>341409661
>i seriously hope nobody thinks this because the combat is ass
No it isn't. It's good.
>motion controls ruin it
No they don't, this is a myth, see webm
>2 minutes of fucking nothing
Compare this to Wind Waker, which has hours and hours of doing nothing per playthrough. How many people bitch about those 10 minutes total wasted in SS, yet hail WW as the greatest Zelda game? Probably quite a few. Also, 10 minutes total of doing nothing, in a 50 hour game, is nothing. It's not even 1% of the overall experience.

This is just like the people who try to say Twilight Princess is a horrible game because of the goat herding. Literally takes 1 minute, and again is less than 1% of the overall experience. People are so hypocritical about these games.
>>
File: turtle rock.png (699 KB, 3196x1100) Image search: [Google]
turtle rock.png
699 KB, 3196x1100
>>341409894
Also, both games have a "Turtle Rock" lava dungeon. Here's a more fair comparison.

You can not tell me that the ALTTP version doesn't look bland in comparison. You just can't... and that was on more advanced hardware.
>>
>>341408523
>ALTTP has aged poorly.
This. The sound design hasn't aged well so you might get headaches/ears hurt like me if you play it for more than 15 minutes at a time. Also the combat is wonky as hell. Your sword is ridiculously short and swings very awkwardly. You also can't block with your shield whenever you want. Everything just feels old and tedious.

Go with Link's Awakening DX or one of the Seasons games instead which both have better overall sound and combat.
>>
>>341410205
>this is a myth
nigger I played the fucking game, it was shit

I'm not saying it misses 99% of the time, but it shouldn't misread inputs even once, and if you are seriously going to argue to me that it is a flawless input method, I'll tear out my ass hair and eat it. Also, it's entirely possible that webm was one of many takes

>compare this to windwaker
not that windwaker's sailing is the epitome of interactivity, but there are dozens of times more unique places to land than in SS, and you can do shit in your boat too
>10 minutes wasted
you will literally spend at least an hour of pure flight time just through normal play, even more if you go for 100% or god forbid a second playthrough. And who cares what percentage of the experience it is, you still have minutes (being generous here) wasted on a funsucking dull slog, it means you aren't enjoying something where just a little bit more effort on the dev's part could have made it not make you seriously contemplate how you could be doing literally anything else
>>
>>341409619
Play MGS2 after SS and Portable Ops just after MM
also fuck you Op you are retarded the asnwer to this threads is always the same, chrono fucking logically.
>>
DEFINITELY ocarina of time then you'll prob want to play majoras after. Tphd is good, ww is good, as is meh
>>
>>341405687
Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past
>>
>>341405687
not sure if i want the mommy or daughter

damn niggas

how awesome would a threesome be? fug
>>
>>341409298
I'm 30 in just over a week. Found this place when I was 23. dont worry you'll know this feel much faster than you realise
>>
>>341405687
Right is way hotter.
>>
>>341412191
Just think, right came out of lefts vagoo.
>>
>>341412297
Fuck. Now I'm imagining that situation. At their current sizes. And it's turning me on.
>>
>>341405687
>seeing the OP
I feel lonely now
>>
File: 1451974150327.jpg (12 KB, 170x208) Image search: [Google]
1451974150327.jpg
12 KB, 170x208
>scroll through thread
>it on topic

I'm disappointing
>>
>>341412748
>disappointing
*disappointed, that too
>>
Empty
>>
>>341413001
like my life
>>
>>341413060
NO! Like MY life.
>>
>>341414473
>>341413060
Just be yourself
>>
>>341405687
Do what I did.

Play Oracle of Ages, then Oracle of seasons
Try the gba one out and get bored immediately.

THen years later replay oracle of ages and seasons and still love them, then try Ocarina of time and give up within the first 2hrs from boredom.
>>
>>341405687
why is her head so huge?
>>
>>341416439
respond i demand an answer
>>
Link's Awakening
Oracle of seasons
Oracle of ages (imho is optional)
Link to the past
Minish cap

Tip: always say truth to the fairies.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.