[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of character should I make? I tried ranged weapons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: arx fatalis.jpg (6 KB, 186x271) Image search: [Google]
arx fatalis.jpg
6 KB, 186x271
What kind of character should I make? I tried ranged weapons but I do even have a bow yet. Is magic good?seems like it got the most focus so maybe I should try remake into that instead
>>
Is there no one on this game? Seems like a decent homage to old wizardry and king's field games, especially king's field since that souls craze these few years
>>
>>341402894
Ranged/Dex is fucking worthless.

Spellwarrior is what you want. Big swords, axes, and 3 spells banked at all times. You're not going to be casting spells mid-battle, trust me on that.
>>
>>341404142

Thanks, that all I needed, Im a few quests in and not even a bow to test my stats. The thing is I usually go full sword and board or full magic in other games but I decided to try archer this game. I cant even pick these damn chests despite dumping points into it
>>
>>341403948
It's Ultima Underworld 3, while we're at it. They couldn't get the license but other than that it's pretty much a sequel.
>>
I tried to play it a few days ago, but it won't run on windows 8 I guess.
>>
>>341404501

I turned my nose up when I first heard the voice acting but it really grows on you
>>
Magic is pretty OP, but pure melee is viable. Never tried ranged because they tend to be pretty weak in most RPGs.
>>
>>341402894
magic is pretty much required
>>341404731
use arx libertatis and leave vsync ON
>>
So what kind of games can I play if I want more like Arx Fatalis?
>>
>>341402894
The only consistent advice here I see on this game is that magic is a must, not because it's overpowered but because the spellcasting system in Arx Fatalis is so unique. I've never played much of the game, personally, but I will soon.
>>
>>341402894
Magic is powerful, yes. Aam Yok Taar x3 prepped deals with a lot.
I don't recall if bows were good or not, I think you could snipe the last boss with them?
A lot of the games fights occur in cramped spaces though.
>>
>>341405210
>>341405223

Now I feel really stupid just pumping archery and thinking its fine trying something new for once
>>
>>341405453
Yeah I can't see ranged being viable at all in this game. I'm sure it's possible but it seems like a serious challenge. You'll probably kill yourself midgame.
>>
>>341405160
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2.

Maybe:
Gothic 1 and 2.
Thief 1 & 2.
System Shock 1 & 2.

Also look up "Underworld Ascendant", the currently developing game from the old Looking Glass guys.
>>
>>341405160
In terms of first person aRPGs?

System Shock 1 and 2, Morrowind, Deus Ex, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, there's a few out there.

>inb4 REEEE SS1 isn't an RPG
Don't care. Same general GUI and appeal.
>>
>>341405632

I'll try gothic first and slowly ease myself into the older ones. It's been a long time since I played games that old. Im afraid if I jump right into it, I might be put off.
>>
File: arx 2016-05-13 22-09-55-54.jpg (816 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
arx 2016-05-13 22-09-55-54.jpg
816 KB, 1920x1080
>>341402894
Sequel never.
Breaks my heart.
>>
>>341404142
>You're not going to be casting spells mid-battle, trust me on that
My first playthrough was with magic only. Those fast cultist fuckers with the two handed swords really gave me heart attacks.
>>
>>341406031
Gothic has a bit weird control scheme so you might want to look it up if you cant figure it out, but its pretty cool
>>
>>341407961
My condelences.
>>
>>341408014

One other thing to consider is that the first gothic wasn't designed with mouse-look being a thing.

They gots to use them arrow keys!
>>
>>341404824
Tsh.. this is raw.
>>
>>341402894
dont forget to install arx libertatis
>>
File: 1423952034629.png (79 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1423952034629.png
79 KB, 640x400
>mfw spending the better part of a minute trying to draw a single spell symbol
>it finally goes through
>registers as a different symbol altogether
>>
>>341410674
Keep to straight lines, smallish, in the middle of the screen.

Yeah, it's a bit fucked.
>>
This isn't really the sort of game where you go all in on one build but it can be done. Bow however is not viable as a main playstyle. Magic is the most important thing in the game. You'll mostly be killing shit with banked fireballs after you find the runes. Strength is also important for good heavy armor and weapons. This game doesn't support much variety like Morrowind does. It's still a great game and well worth playing. Get Arx Libertatis if you haven't yet.
>>
>>341402894
A forgotten classic.
>>
Why is this game never on sale
>>
Fell in love with this game back in the day when I played the demo, and discovered you could mix flour with water in your inventory, and then drop the dough onto a campfire, and it turned into bread. That shit was fucking amazing to me at the time.
>>
>>341412380
>This isn't really the sort of game where you go all in on one build

The absolute must fun playthrough's I've had were playing max STR or INT with 6 in everything else.
>walking out of the prison and exploding limbs with your bare fists
>fireballs larger than your vision radius
Fuck yes
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.